Bills interested in OT Tyson Clabo

It would also be a bit surprising to see them sign a big-money FA at OT considering that they've spent two consecutive #1 picks on OTs, and spent a their 2nd pick (a 3rd rounder) on another OL this year. Not saying it won't happen, just that it would surprise me.

To be immediately followed by more whining from 2BD...

???????

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can never have too many top tier offensive lineman. Every winner over the last several years (steelers, giants, patriots, saints) had a solid offensive line in place WITH DEPTH. You cant just have a starter and say ok we have that position taken care of. Look at the Robert Gallery experiment in Oakland. Their QBs were tackling dummies for several years waiting for that guy to develop. The next thing you know he is actually a stud guard in the NFL. Sure it wasnt what they drafted him for, but Mike Williams never even turned into that. Depth on the Oline is a great thing. Those guys drop like flies.

Unless I'm missing something, Green Bay and Pittsburgh ranked 19th and 25th in fewest sacks allowed last year, respectively. They also ranked 17th and 26th in yards per carry...not exactly solid on the lines. They had to rely on rookies (Bulaga, Pouncey) and veterans on their last legs (Chad Clifton, Flozell Adams, Jonathan Scott) to get them through.

I'm not trying to diminish your point, I'm just saying that the perceived stability of those teams' lines isn't as rock solid as your post implies.

I'm just glad we're interested. Trying and failing is a lot more noble than sitting at home hoping the stars align (i.e., The Erik Pears Project).

I agree. I think we'd very easily get behind the front office regardless of the players on the field so long as they showed they tried, or did what they could, to land the right players. They can only go so far as to offer slightly better contracts than everyone else.

was hoping for Free but Clabo would be awesome. Next years draft should feature LT Matt Kalil or ILB Luke Kuechly.

As a marker, the Dallas Cowboys reached agreement on a four-year, $32 million deal that included $17 million in guaranteed money for OT Doug Free. So, I figure minimum $8 mil a year for the Bills to grab Clabo.

Atlanta could not match that as they have 1/3 the cap space the Bills have. I am surprised the Bucs aren't in the running....

While I'd be thrilled if we landed Clabo, it's hard for me to think he wont resign with the Falcons.

The Falcons also have other free agents to sign on their OL, Dahl and Blalock. Hopefully Atlanta runs out of cash and has to drop out of the bidding war for Clabo.

This is just a ploy engineered by Russ Brandon to show, despite what Nix has stated publicly, that the Bills are at least trying to become more competitive. We have seen this stunt before.

Like a million times before. Brandon trying to cover Nix butt after his radio interview this morning.