Bills wise to stay out of Kolb talk

The good NFL franchises always seem to find the bargains on underrated talent. Meanwhile, bad teams waste valuable resources on players that will never live up to their ridiculous hype.

Word this week out of Seattle is that the Seahawks are prepared to offer a first and third round pick to obtain quarterback Kevin Kolb from Philadelphia. This is the same Seahawks team that once traded a first rounder for Deion Branch and a third rounder for Charlie Whitehurst.

In fact, the growing publicity around Kolb is eerily similar to a guy named Rob Johnson, who suckered the Bills just over a ten years ago.

Originally a fourth round pick, Johnson sat the bench for two full seasons before one strong start in 1997 caught the eyes of teams around the league. Buffalo packaged a first and fourth round pick (along with a $25 million contract) for Johnson, who started a decade-long run of pathetic signal callers.

Full article: http://buffalobillsstampede.blogspot.com/

I agree. There is no evidence that Kolb is a better option than Fitz.

Agreed. Over his brief career, Kolb has averaged an Edwards-like 6.5 yards per pass attempt. This past season Fitz averaged 6.8 yards per attempt.

Over half of Kolb's passes were attempted this past season, when he averaged 6.3 yards per attempt. Another third of his pass attempts came in 2009, when he averaged 7.7 yards per attempt. If he could keep doing that he'd be a major upgrade over Fitz, and well worth the first and third rounder being discussed. But we're only talking about 96 pass attempts for 2009, and I don't feel the Bills should trade away what's likely to be an early first round pick on that basis. Especially not when his 2010 season was so underwhelming, statistically speaking.

Maybe not good for the Bills, but why a bad deal for the Seahawks? They need a QB. Maybe they feel Kolb is a safer bet than some overhyped college QB heading into his final year of college ball (JP Losman anyone?) who they would have to pick in the first next year. The guy has played well (nothing like Rob Johnson) and may do even better in a new place and as the regular starter (like Schaub).

Agreed. Over his brief career, Kolb has averaged an Edwards-like 6.5 yards per pass attempt. This past season Fitz averaged 6.8 yards per attempt.

Over half of Kolb's passes were attempted this past season, when he averaged 6.3 yards per attempt. Another third of his pass attempts came in 2009, when he averaged 7.7 yards per attempt. If he could keep doing that he'd be a major upgrade over Fitz, and well worth the first and third rounder being discussed. But we're only talking about 96 pass attempts for 2009, and I don't feel the Bills should trade away what's likely to be an early first round pick on that basis. Especially not when his 2010 season was so underwhelming, statistically speaking.

A 1st and a 3rd to supposedly upgrade based on Kolb's 2009 stats vs Fitz's 2010 coming off the bench in week 3 stats? No thanks!

Let's not forget Fitz has not had a chance to be the starter for this team with a whole off season to prepare. Thanks to the lock out he still won't have the benefit of a full off season to prepare. I hope Fitz kicks ass this year so that in 2012 he might actually for the first time have the benefit of being the starter day 1 and we will truly see what this guy will or won't be.

Maybe not good for the Bills, but why a bad deal for the Seahawks? They need a QB. Maybe they feel Kolb is a safer bet than some overhyped college QB heading into his final year of college ball (JP Losman anyone?) who they would have to pick in the first next year. The guy has played well (nothing like Rob Johnson) and may do even better in a new place and as the regular starter (like Schaub).

Losman wasn't overhyped. There was no hype.

Signing Kolb would mean he'd have only a few weeks of camp to find his chemistry with our WRs. Fitz has a year under his belt with these guys. Trading for Kolb would be a great move...if you are looking to draft Andrew Luck in 2012.

PTR

Well… Seattle burned a 4th for Lynch last year and traded a 3rd and swapped 2nds for QB Charlie Whitehurst. They then gave him a 2-year, $8 million contract.

Looks like Carroll is more the sort of team builder who uses trades and free agency rather than the draft.

If they pull the trigger on the Kolb trade, that's a lot of draft picks Seattle has burned up in just two seasons.

I'm not even kidding, if I were Seattle I'd stand pat with Losman before I gave up a 1st and a 3rd for Kolb.

By my accounts I see oak, sea, ari, and wash as having a def qb need. Then cle, mia, and det (as well as buffalo) possibly needing a qb of the future. With kolb and mcnabb filling 2 of those slots it is looking better and better for the bills to have a shot at a qb early next year. 5 teams and landry jones, matt barkley, and of course luck slotted as first rounders as well as darron thomas and possibly kellen moore I am very hopeful the qb of the future will be drafted early next year.

So in short the hype for kolb helps the bills but please just bc rob johnnson burned the bills years ago doesn't mean every qb that is up for trade will be a bust... steve young and brett favre also were traded as well as more recently matt schaub and turned out good to all time great.

I think Arizona might be interested in Kolb too.

I think the earlier posts were right on the money about a short camp and too little time to gel with the receivers. A Kolb presence may invite a QB controversy. I like Fitz.