Should the Bills re-sign Poz

Full Article:

http://buffalobillsstampede.blogspot.com/2011/06/should-bills-re-sign-paul-posluszny.html

"Poz" is certainly a player that splits the opinions of people who watch the Bills every weekend.

Some believe he's a consistently good player that always seems to be near the ball, racking up tons of tackles despite a weak cast around him. Others say he's a liability, playing a primary position (inside linebacker) on one of the worst running defenses in the league.

Both the Bills front office and Poz have expressed interest in re-signing. But as usual, a major factor will be money. Posluszny's rookie contract made him a total of $4.75 million in four years, combined. On the open market, he's expected to command closer to $5 million per year.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If we do not re-sign Poz, then we take one step back again as we will be counting on Shepard to just replace Poz as best he can rather than suplementing our LBs, which we should be doing. The guy did lead us in tackles.

Of course they will re-sign him. He's the "best we have", which makes him "(Bills)good enough".

If we do not re-sign Poz, then we take one step back again as we will be counting on Shepard to just replace Poz as best he can rather than suplementing our LBs, which we should be doing. The guy did lead us in tackles.

This!

It better be in the Bills's plan to re-sign him if we ever want to get better...

+1

$5MM per seems a little rich for a non-elite guy that has been injured a lot.

By our "Working Class Schmuck" standards, it is. But not by NFL standards.

Reggie Torbor was a mid to low level Free Agent and got a 4yr/$14mil contract.

$5mil/year is not "elite", it is middle to upper-middle class in the NFL. Especially for someone coming out of their rookie contract and into their supposed prime.

4 years, $20mil, with $6-8 guaranteed should do the trick, and isn't really much more than what you and CT have suggested.

I dont think anyone is going to offer him $7mil/year or anything ridiculous like that.

I'm also in the "if he's not a first ballot hall of famer cut him and have him air-brushed out of all team photos and memorabilia" camp. We need to create as many holes on the defense as possible so we can set up our draft picks to fail and label them all busts. Poz may be the best we have and good enough, but he's no damn good and we should replace him with somebody worse.

I don't see how you get better by not trying to re-sign good players who want to be here. There is NO denying Poz is a "good" player. He may not be elite, but those guys aren't just falling out of the sky, you know?

I'm no expert at contracts but giving Poz Fair Market Value would be smart for the Bills to do, as long as they don't OVER pay him or anyone else (be smart, not cheap). If we keep changing parts without just cause and re-inventing the wheel, this team will never progress to where it needs to be. That being said:

If another team is willing to pay him more than he's shown himself to be worth when compared to others at his position, then let them do it and do the best we can to replace him.

I personally don't believe Poz is the type to expect more than what is fair according to standard league contracts for other similar players and believe a deal will get done if the lockout ever ends.

Absolutely !!! Poz has been the leading tackler last year & been at the top other years & he's a team guy if any of the LB should be retained or released they need to look at past production to this point & who has more of an upside for a longer period of time .

I'm also in the "if he's not a first ballot hall of famer cut him and have him air-brushed out of all team photos and memorabilia" camp. We need to create as many holes on the defense as possible so we can set up our draft picks to fail and label them all busts. Poz may be the best we have and good enough, but he's no damn good and we should replace him with somebody worse.

I'll give you that the "destroy any evidence of his Bflo tenure" approach is unique and creative.

It's certainly more enlightened than the "run him out of town on a rail while dragging his reputation through the mud" approach that we usually employ.

But I'm not really sure how I feel about this new approach to denigrating his career. I mean if the rail treatment is good enough for London Fletcher, Michael Peca, and Dominik Hasek it should be good enough for Poz.

Why should we simply expunge any record of his time here? He deserves to be slandered like all of the other athletes we've turned on.

I'm not really seeing where Poz warrants special treatment. Same goes for Whitner.

Rock throwing is the custom in these parts… I'm not comfortable with you're newfangled ideas.

This is where I pray the Kelsay deal doesn't screw this team, because I'd take Poz over Kelsay any day of the week, yet I don't believe Poz has shown us he's worth more than 4 million a year. He is just about a first round LB - so he hasn't played up to that standard.

Still, we need to look at who is available over the next two years. You don't judge a contract's worth by todays standards, I think, you judge it by how it will hold up next year, and next. I mean at the rate contracts have been going up, if you like a guy and want him around for 3-4 years, then paying him on the high end of the scale now will equate to an average contract in two or three years.

If I were G.M., I'd cut Kelsay and use that money towards keeping Poz. Give him no more than 5 million a year, and leave yourself room to cut him affordably in a year or two if he doesn't show he's very good with an improved D-line ahead of him.