Should the Bills re-sign Poz

That makes some sense.

I am no talent evaluator, but I have no recollection of Poz making any big plays. There may be a few, but I would not go too far to keep him.

The amazing thing about this board is how certain players are loved to a ridiculous level while others are ripped with consistency.

POZ is an average linebacker who cannot cover anyone in pass coverage and who makes most of his tackles after runners have passed him by. Like all too many of the D players drafted over the last ten years he is not an aggressive player and seems unable to beat the blocks plus he is fragile.

Yes, he sells a lot of jersey's ... yes, he's popular and a team player ... and yes, we need to sign him inspite of all the above weaknesses because we just don't have the bodies at ILB until our rookies mature and establish themselves as more than just good PR stories.

When I read about this year's picks and look at last year's (Batten and Moats plus Coleman too) what I am seeing are players with a remarkedly different on-the-field attitude from POZ. These guys are aggressive ball hawks who are team leaders and intelligent. Although I haven't done it, yet, I'd love to compare game film of Moats and Poz from last year to see which of those two guys was moving towards the ball the most. I have a feeling that our rookie was the better player on the field most of the time.

So ... don't toss out your POZ jersey yet ... keep showing him the love ... and maybe with our new front line POZ will be able to rise above mediocrity!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bill fans couldn't wait to get rid of London Fletcher so I really don't understand POZ love-

Really? I don't remember feeling that way. Actually I was pissed they let him walk.

It's hard to soar like an eagle when you work with turkeys.

Edited by bmur66

This all depends on how the Bills D is going to work. Poz is absolutely NOT a good 3-4 LB, too small and while he makes a lot of tackles they are all down field.

LOL, you mean like how Williams isn't a 3-4 NT?

Face it, there has been absolutely no DLine in front of our LBs for the past few years. It's no wonder Poz is getting beat up when, instead of Fullbacks, he's had to take on free running Guards.

For every tackle that Poz made "down field", there are 6 other guys in the Front 7 that completely missed that tackle. Why is it Poz's fault that our DL cant make plays against the run?!? He's the only one actually making plays, and you want to use that against him?

Keep Poz, put him next to Sheppard, put Dareus and Williams and a developing Troup and Carrington in front of him, and let's see what we got.

Really? I don't remember feeling that way. Actually I was pissed they let him walk.

It's hard to soar like an eagle when you work with turkeys.

Yeah, there were a LOT of people who said the same BS that is in this thread.

"Makes too many tackles down field. Doesnt have the size/athleticism to play well. blahblahblah..."

So we ran our Pro Bowl MLB out of town, instead of improving the DL. Great strategy! :rolleyes:

LOL, you mean like how Williams isn't a 3-4 NT?

Face it, there has been absolutely no DLine in front of our LBs for the past few years. It's no wonder Poz is getting beat up when, instead of Fullbacks, he's had to take on free running Guards.

For every tackle that Poz made "down field", there are 6 other guys in the Front 7 that completely missed that tackle. Why is it Poz's fault that our DL cant make plays against the run?!? He's the only one actually making plays, and you want to use that against him?

Keep Poz, put him next to Sheppard, put Dareus and Williams and a developing Troup and Carrington in front of him, and let's see what we got.

Yeah, Williams should not be a 3-4 NT either...While I won't argue that the Bills D sucked as a whole, just because everyone played poorly doesn't mean that gives POZ an excuse to play poorly as well...He looks awful in coverage, and has no burst or speed, absolutely no moves to get away from blockers (necessary for a 3-4 LB). He was ok as a 4-3 LB, so if we are going to use a 4-3 formation to a significant extent it might make sense to keep him...If we are going to go with a 3-4, then we should get 3-4 players...Not force guys to be what they are not (POZ, Kelsey, KW, Stroud (already gone),....)

Edited by Turbosrrgood

There are many things I like about Poz: attitude, effort, off-field character, etc.

However, can someone please tell me one play they remember him making that impacted the game? I keep reading how he's a solid tackler, yet I can easily recall him missing many open-field tackles. I realize he racks up tackle numbers, but--ignoring the fact that the tackles stat is unofficial and often contrived with coach-voodoo--how much have all of his tackles helped the run defense in the past 2 seasons?

I also cannot simply gloss over the fact that he's well below average in coverage. That said, it probably wouldn't hurt if the coaching staff allowed him to blitz more often, as I do believe he's an effective inside pass rusher when allowed to do so.

In short, I supposed I'd re-sign Poz, but it would have to be a money-friendly deal. I'm of the belief that his position could be upgraded.

Yeah, Williams should not be a 3-4 NT either...While I won't argue that the Bills D sucked as a whole, just because everyone played poorly doesn't mean that gives POZ an excuse to play poorly as well...He looks awful in coverage, and has no burst or speed, absolutely no moves to get away from blockers (necessary for a 3-4 LB). He was ok as a 4-3 LB, so if we are going to use a 4-3 formation to a significant extent it might make sense to keep him...If we are going to go with a 3-4, then we should get 3-4 players...Not force guys to be what they are not (POZ, Kelsey, KW, Stroud (already gone),....)

Agreed.

Williams is a totally different case, as he was very effective and disruptive as a 4-3 DT, and was the type of player that earned the shot to play NT in the 3-4. While it isn't an ideal fit for him, he was still extremely disruptive and may have had his best season as a pro.

Agreed.

Williams is a totally different case, as he was very effective and disruptive as a 4-3 DT, and was the type of player that earned the shot to play NT in the 3-4. While it isn't an ideal fit for him, he was still extremely disruptive and may have had his best season as a pro.

Yeah, there is no doubt KW has a ton of talent. The fact the he was able to do so well at the NT position, despite not really being "built" for it, is a great credit to him. I'd like to see what he can do at 3-4 DE, and we all know how good he is in the 4-3 formation. He might be our best defensive player now, it would be great if he could be used towards his strengths... That is of course dependent on having another capable player at the NT position...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The coaches for our team chose to have this guy run the defense last year. They went through training camp with a new coach and GM and Poz was the guy that emerged as the best for the position.

On a team that is already weak at LB and has the money to re-sign anybody they want to, I'm not sure why this is even a question. He's a guarantee re-sign. Nobody is going to offer him an outrageous deal like Clements, Peters etc.

There are people on here saying he takes bad angles and makes too many tackles way downfield. Just like the London Fletcher talk on this board before he left Buffalo and made the pro bowl with Washington.

The dude is a good player, locker room guy, leader, at the perfect time of his career where experience and youth intersect. So we want to get rid of him to save Ralph money? He's the guy worth $700 million right?

There are people on here saying he takes bad angles and makes too many tackles way downfield. Just like the London Fletcher talk on this board before he left Buffalo and made the pro bowl with Washington.

Yeah, unfortunately for us Fletcher is better. He is much more consistent, and gets to ball carrier faster.

The dude is a good player, locker room guy, leader, at the perfect time of his career where experience and youth intersect. So we want to get rid of him to save Ralph money? He's the guy worth $700 million right?

lol, now this is a good point. The Bills have a very low team salaray, and no depth...When you say it like that I can't disagree with you...That money would just go right in Ralph's pocket...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The coaches for our team chose to have this guy run the defense last year. They went through training camp with a new coach and GM and Poz was the guy that emerged as the best for the position.

On a team that is already weak at LB and has the money to re-sign anybody they want to, I'm not sure why this is even a question. He's a guarantee re-sign. Nobody is going to offer him an outrageous deal like Clements, Peters etc.

Are you saying that if the Bills don't re-sign Poz it's because Ralph wants to save money? I highly doubt that.

If the Bills don't re-sign Poz it will be because they don't think he's good enough. They've got four years and two schemes worth of tape on the guy. Plus every practice rep.

I can see them re-signing him for his experience, leadership, and tenacity. That's why they re-upped Kelsay so it wouldn't surprise me. I'm just not sure that's always the best reason to re-sign a guy. If there aren't enough of those players on your team, then yes, you sign him for his intangibles and let him show the other guys how to be a pro. But sooner or later you have to be able to play the game consistently to stick around. Poz hasn't shown that in either scheme over his four years.

GO BILLS!!!

Never been that impressed with the Poz, to me he's London Fletcher- if London Fletcher got injured a lot, Bill fans couldn't wait to get rid of London Fletcher so I really don't understand POZ love- that being said it's not like the Bills have been anywhere near a salary cap lately or that we have an obvious candidate for someone better to replace Poz nor is it likely that we need extra money because we are going to make a huge splash in free agency- so sign Poz if he doesn't ask for the ridiculous,don't try to low ball him.

I really don't remember that, unless the Bills fan you are talking about is yourself. Fletcher was a similar player to Poz, good locker room guy, team player and a tackling machine.

It's even sadder when Poz is considered your best LB.

GO BILLS!!!

You know what is sad, people on this board are saying don't sign Poz he gets hurt too much, but the same people are high fiving because giving Shawn Merriman millions was a great move?

You know what is sad, people on this board are saying don't sign Poz he gets hurt too much, but the same people are high fiving because giving Shawn Merriman millions was a great move?

I don't think the Bills should re-sign Poz because he's just not starter material.

Him getting hurt has nothing to do with it. He had an unfortunate arm break but otherwise has held up fairly well considering his tenacity on the field. I don't subscribe to the "injury prone" school of thought. In the absence of an existing condition, there is no such thing.

Anyone who is high-fiving about Merriman should reign it in a bit. He's got to show he's completely healed first. If he is, he immediately becomes our best LB. That's more an indictment of how bad our LBs are, not just Poz. None of our LBs, save a healthy Merriman, would start on most NFL teams. They were bad as a group and bad as individual players last season. Probably the worst display of LBing I've seen in a long time.

Like I've said repeatedly, there is much to like about Poz. His experience, leadership, and tenacity are great intangibles and are worth something in the locker room and on the field.

But his LB play leaves a lot to be desired.

GO BILLS!!!

The very same people who want to see Poz leave also lauded the Merriman re-signing?

Really?

Yeah, there is no doubt KW has a ton of talent. The fact the he was able to do so well at the NT position, despite not really being "built" for it, is a great credit to him. I'd like to see what he can do at 3-4 DE, and we all know how good he is in the 4-3 formation. He might be our best defensive player now, it would be great if he could be used towards his strengths... That is of course dependent on having another capable player at the NT position...

Admittedly, I have reservations about Williams playing DE in a 3-4. I'm not against trying him out there (once, as you said, the team is confident it has a capable NT in the fold), I just worry that his relatively short arms and overall lack of length/height might hurt him in that role. Then again, his lack of weight didn't exactly cripple him as a 3-4 NT, so I suppose it'd be silly to assume he can't play 5-tech.

The very same people who want to see Poz leave also lauded the Merriman re-signing?

Really?

I don't see what one has to do with the other...We got Merriman relatively cheap (understandably so, he hasn't been able to play in 3 years)...But the guy is still young and has a MUCH higher upside than POZ. At his best Merriman is an unstoppable, defense changing force....At his best POZ is a mediocre stop gap LB... Plus the Bills would likely have to pay POZ MORE than Merriman, despite the fact that he is no more durable...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

This!

It better be in the Bills's plan to re-sign him if we ever want to get better...

I don't know about Poz making us better? But I do agree that he will help us from getting worse than 4-12. As it stands right now I'd say we'll win 6 with Poz...maybe 5 without him..not that he's going to win a game for us? Then again, that's if we even have a season? Such certainties makes me want to rush out and buy season tickets! :bag:

Admittedly, I have reservations about Williams playing DE in a 3-4. I'm not against trying him out there (once, as you said, the team is confident it has a capable NT in the fold), I just worry that his relatively short arms and overall lack of length/height might hurt him in that role. Then again, his lack of weight didn't exactly cripple him as a 3-4 NT, so I suppose it'd be silly to assume he can't play 5-tech.

Don't back down now. What was true then is true now. HE DOESN'T FIT THE PROTOTYPE! Playing a guy at DE who's arms are an inch too short is like bringing a banana to a knife fight. Grind him into meat!

Poz is washed up. He sucks and at age 26, hes far too old. Merriman is only 27 and still young, so even though he can't get on the field, hes better than Poz. Ayodele, Davis, Moats, Batten, Maybin and Kelsay are worth keeping but GET RID OF POZ! Even though Poz has been the best LB on the team since his rookie season, he wouldn't start on any other team in the league. I know Kawika Mitchell started for the Super Bowl winning Giants, and Poz is better than Mitchell, but Poz would not start on any team in the league. Although I have no knowledge of the money Poz expects, I'm certain its too much. Remove all mention of Poz from the books and airbrush his photo from all team propaganda. Anyone who speaks his name should be sent to the gulag.