Could Plax be the final piece to our puzzle???

I know I'm gonna get alot of flack for this, but its okay, I'm used to it. I'm just gonna say this: Our offense looked quite good for the better part of the second half of last season with Fitzpatrick as our starter. And, I must admit, when Buffalo signed him it kinda made my stomach turn. I mean, in Cincinnati, the guys decision making and just about everything else STUNK! But as I've said previously, I am 100% sold on Ryan Fitzpatrick as Buffalo's starting QB. The guy can sling the ball and he has guts. Maybe its because Trent Edwards deprived me for so long of anything that resembles an NFL QB, I dunno.

That being said, I just wanna throw something out there. We have a solid starting QB now (in my view), our backfield is solid with Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller (when he actually gets to play in games), our O-Line is as good as its been in about five seasons. The recieving corp really has come of age with Steve Johnson looking like a bona-fide star. So, why not give Plaxico Burress a shot here in Buffalo. Line him and Stevie out wide with Lee Evans in the slot position. Thoughts? (and be nice)...

No matter what anyone thinks here Plax doesn't fit the youth movement going on right now. As for S Johnson being a bona fide superstar, hold you horses. The only time he really had a big game was when the Bengals lost their entire secondary. He's a nice piece of the puzzle, but nowhere near a superstar.

I know I'm gonna get alot of flack for this, but its okay, I'm used to it. I'm just gonna say this: Our offense looked quite good for the better part of the second half of last season with Fitzpatrick as our starter. And, I must admit, when Buffalo signed him it kinda made my stomach turn. I mean, in Cincinnati, the guys decision making and just about everything else STUNK! But as I've said previously, I am 100% sold on Ryan Fitzpatrick as Buffalo's starting QB. The guy can sling the ball and he has guts. Maybe its because Trent Edwards deprived me for so long of anything that resembles an NFL QB, I dunno.

That being said, I just wanna throw something out there. We have a solid starting QB now (in my view), our backfield is solid with Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller (when he actually gets to play in games), our O-Line is as good as its been in about five seasons. The recieving corp really has come of age with Steve Johnson looking like a bona-fide star. So, why not give Plaxico Burress a shot here in Buffalo. Line him and Stevie out wide with Lee Evans in the slot position. Thoughts? (and be nice)...

We have one of the worst defenses in football and you think a WR is the final piece to the puzzle?

Wide receiver is one of the only positions I think we are good on, along with running back and defensive back. So I disagree completely.

We have a solid veteran quarterback, but we still need someone elite to become a regular Super Bowl contender. That's a huge puzzle piece still missing.

We are solid on the interior of our offensive line, but extremely weak at both tackle positions. Another large puzzle piece.

Our tight ends could definitely use a major upgrade. There's another one, although it depends on the offense Gailey settles on.

Dareus makes the defensive line a lot better, but we could use some better players at the end positions. There's another puzzle piece or two.

Linebacker was possibly our weakest spot last year. IF Merriman regains old form, IF Poz is re-signed, IF Sheppard becomes a solid starter, then we are a little closer. But we likely need a few more contributors.

:sigh: shakes head....unbelievable

I do feel that Plaxico would be a great addition to any offense, however I think you lost EVERYONE with the whole "final piece to our puzzle" thing. This team is nowhere near a contender, let alone a wide receiver away. I wish that were true though LOL.

I also think you lost everyone with final piece to the puzzle. I do t think you meant it in that way honestly, but your def going to catch hell for it. Personally I don't mind bringing a veteran at any position in for at least a look. Unfortunately I think WR might be the worst position to do that with right now. You just had a great year out of Stevie J and the best year of Roscoes career before the injury. You also had solid play out of Nelson (the 3rd down king) and Jones, and we will not forget Easley or even Roosevelt. If you bring in another veteran then you take time away from the growning young kids at the position. It's just not the year to do it brother. And honestly, if I had the option, I'd rather make a play for a second tour with TO than Plax.

I think we'll have to let go some talented WR's as it is. I think we'll keep 6:

81 Easley, Marcus WR 6-2 207 23 R Connecticut

83 Evans, Lee WR 5-10 197 30 7 Wisconsin

17 Hubbard, Paul WR 6-2 225 25 1 Wisconsin

15 Huggins, Felton WR 6-2 186 28 1 Southeastern Louisia

13 Johnson, Steve WR 6-2 202 24 3 Kentucky

19 Jones, Donald WR 6-0 214 23 R Youngstown State

86 Nelson, David WR 6-5 217 24 R Florida

11 Parrish, Roscoe WR 5-9 178 28 6 Miami

18 Roosevelt, N'an WR 6-0 189 23 R

Maybe you keep Roscoe for speed, Paul Hubbard and D Nelson for size,

Easley and Johnson for explosiveness and upside, Evans for experience.

Edited by Astrobot

Plax is good but we don't need the headaches that come with him, his work ethic sucked along with off-field baggage, which isn't welcome in our locker room. We have enough wide receivers with Johnson, Nelson, Easly etc up and coming stars. What we really need is legit OTs, a TE and Fitz's workouts to improve his arm strength which is a lot of ifs and more than likely next years draft is going to be offense heavy.

:worthy: The wide receiver position does not need any additional investments.

I am a fan of Namaan but fear he will lose out to the numbers and end up making some other team.

Easley has a tremendous upside but the one who may end up being the receiver we talk about more and more (if there is ever a season) is David Nelson. As a rookie he showed a lot of promise to go along with his height.

I can't wait to see this group out on the field now that our offense will have more opportunities thanks to the improving defense.

Because if you do that you have to cut a good young prospect such as a Nelson or Roosevelt which we may have to cut anyway .

Then throw in the fact that he's a whiner & plays when he wants to & has a tendency to take plays off i say we don't need to get side tracked from where the new staff has us going . If they wanted to bring some one like that back they would have brought back T.O & they didn't which says volumes !!

If you are asking is Plax the big name celebrity player we've been lacking since T.O. left, then yes he's the piece of the puzzle. If you are asking do we need to spend free agent money on a position we are already in good shape with, and ignore other positions of need, then the answer is no.

PTR

At first, I was like "is this guy smokn' a lil' sum sum in the mownin?" Then i realized that Plax, even though a bumb ass, is a very good wide out with great size...prototypical size for Gailey/Nix. Prison tends to be a humbling experience for those with as much to lose as Plax...Just ask Mike Vick! Anyway, I's bet he comes back without all that prima donna, egomaniacal crap he's pulled in the past. He could still be a very big impact type receiver. If we had the chance, I'd dump Evans and sign him without even giving it a second thought...just sayn'

Edited by Armchair GM

I think we need to quit flaming on the person who posted this. Ok, “final piece to the puzzle” is a little over the top. The final piece would be signing James Harrison or Woodley from the Steelers. But, we are not "set" by any measure at WR, unless that measure is mediocrity. There is not a single pro bowl caliber WR on this team. (Johnson had one good year, if he repeats then we have one). Evans can only run one route, and as his speed decreases, his value goes down the drain. All the other WR's that everyone seems sold on are purely "potentially great" WR's. Plex is a 1000/year WR. He could help the young guys learn the game. Even if he is a one and done, he will provide great value to this team assuming his head is in the right place. Even if we don't sign him, I don't share the thought that we are "set" at WR...not until we see repeat performances from Johnson, etc. I'm excited about the potential of this group, but that's all it is at this point.

Also, I should add that (someone can check this i'm not 100% sure) that Gailey was the OC at Pittsburgh while Plex was there. So if the Bills do sign him, don't panic because Gailey will know what he's getting.

Edited by RyanC883

"RYANC" beat me to the punch about this receiving corps. Seriously guys? Our "best receiver" dropped the game winner vs Pittsburgh, and pretty much did squat after that once his confidence was shot. This team is FAR from set at wide out. Every wide receiver on the team has a question mark next to them. Come on guys, lets not overrate this team. Talent wise, we have one of the worst teams in the NFL. Our #1 guy probably wouldnt start for one playoff caliber team.

1. Was Stevie Johnson a 1 year wonder who's drops killed his confidence

2. Will Lee Evans be even more invisible year by year

3. Will Roscoe Parrish stay healthy enough to help in the slot

4. Will Marcus Easley even see the field

I won't give you flack, it's just the Bills have a history of doing nothing when It comes to signing players that could actually help us. Do I wish they would sign him yes. Do I think they would, Probably not. The Bills need to sign FAs who can bring leadership and be game changers. That's what the Bills are lacking and are gonna continue to 4-6 game win moniker, until they open up the wallet and do what's necessary to get high quality players to play here.

You can build through the draft, and that's a great way to go. But the way this team is, they need to explore all avenues if their goal is to win the Lombardi trophy. Signing Young up and coming talent in conjunction with the draft can only help the Bills.

Edited by mattsox

We had the worst run defense in the league. We have no TE and our OL is still suspect. Fitz is a gamer but his numbers look like an average QB.

We need to improve the talent in these areas: QB, TE, OT, DL, and LB. We addressed DL in the draft but LB is still a major question mark as is OT, TE and QB. Ever wonder what happens if Fitz gets hurt?

I don't see "Plax" being a piece to that puzzle. He might not even make the team.

Ummmm.....we need to keep Felton and Naaman, too. 0:)

Our offense looked quite good the second half of the season? You mean the 2nd half of the season where Fitz had more turnovers than TD's and our team scoring went down? Where do people come up with this stuff?

Our offense was not good last year and our WR's have a lot of question marks. That being said, I am actually open to Plax even though I was not open to Ocho. The reason is simple...Plax brings uncanny size and a serious red zone threat, both things this team needs. I am usually not interested in bringing in an older vet as it means stunting the potential growth of our younger guys.

That being said though, SJ right now resembles Peerless Price more than a #1 WR. I am still high on him, but he has a lot to prove this year that he can be depended on. Too many critical mistakes and he was also invisible way too often and was the benefit of late game stats when the game was all but over. Evans still needs to come out and show he can be more than a deep threat. Roscoe is smaller than my dog, and the rest are all grossly unproven. I like Easely but lets face it, he has not even been on the field and could take a couple years still to develop as he was very raw coming out of college.

I am not saying go get Plax, but at the same time he could be a very valuable addition to this offense because of his size and hands, not to mention fresh legs, for the next few seasons. I say the odds of us going after him are probably almost 0%, so this conversation is probably meaningless anyway.

I just don't see the guy adding anything, and in fact if I were going out of my way to get an experienced wide receiver I'd bet TO would be the better bet. That being said..I wouldn't get TO either. I like the idea of getting younger receivers as we have two good receivers in Johnson and Evans. Parrish can be a contributor as well. I'd worry more about getting an offensive tackle.

Anyone ever stop to think that Plax may have some decent interest from multiple teams once the labor issue gets settled and perhaps Buffalo wouldn't be at the top of his list even if the Bills desperately wanted him? Seriously, when was the last time the Bills were able to bring in a free agent who had decent interest from other teams? I love the Bills, but face it - Buffalo has shown very little over the past decade and isn't exactly as sexy as a lot of other NFL locales. We can get mid-tier guys if we overpay for them, but any big names like TO or Merriman end up here because they've had no other options. Even if the Bills really wanted Plax I'd think there would be almost no way he'd come here.