Bills' Fitzpatrick Ranks Poorly Under Pressure

The Buffalo Bills are all in on Ryan Fitzpatrick as their quarterback for the 2011 NFL season. But the writers at ProFootballFocus.com put together an interesting study in their review of the 2010 season, revealing that Ryan Fitzpatrick is among one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the league with pressure in his face.

http://wgr550.com/Bills--Fitzpatrick-Ranks-Poorly-Under-Pressure/9846589

heres the complete article:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/16/pressure-reveals/

Edited by papazoid

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Buffalo Bills are all in on Ryan Fitzpatrick as their quarterback for the 2011 NFL season. But the writers at ProFootballFocus.com put together an interesting study in their review of the 2010 season, revealing that Ryan Fitzpatrick is among one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the league with pressure in his face.

http://wgr550.com/Bills--Fitzpatrick-Ranks-Poorly-Under-Pressure/9846589

Cue the excuses...

Interesting read. Not really any surprises however. I also think after the first few games, D-coordinators also figured this out and

the scouting reports on him would say pretty much the same.

Good backup, not a starter.

Edited by SoCal-Surf

Cue the excuses...

I am righ twith you.

people on this board who think he is the solution are going to very upset next year. He is not a starting QB. He is good off the bench 'holding down the fort' so to speak. I dont blame them for not getting a qb early in this draft. But to think Fitz is a starting qb, much less a play off qb just show lack of knkowledge of the game.

Probably one of the dumbest articles I've seen. So Sanchez,Henne and Farve rank BELOW Fitzy. Fine. That means in the AFC East, only Brady is better. Whatever. Those stats are just crap to read while waiting for football to begin again. All I can tell you is when you get into the face of any QB they look really average. Brady, Marino, all of them. You pressure them and they don't look so great. This speaks more to our OL than anything else right now. It amuses me that so many on this board (and on this thread) get so high and mighty on "Fitz is not a franchise QB." So? He's better what was available to us in the Draft and Chan and Buddy will go get a guy who's better when and if they appear.

Probably one of the dumbest articles I've seen. So Sanchez,Henne and Farve rank BELOW Fitzy. Fine. That means in the AFC East, only Brady is better. Whatever. Those stats are just crap to read while waiting for football to begin again. All I can tell you is when you get into the face of any QB they look really average. Brady, Marino, all of them. You pressure them and they don't look so great. This speaks more to our OL than anything else right now. It amuses me that so many on this board (and on this thread) get so high and mighty on "Fitz is not a franchise QB." So? He's better what was available to us in the Draft and Chan and Buddy will go get a guy who's better when and if they appear.

This response is about what I expected...you state the obvious that all QB's stats are worse under the pressure while completely ignoring the actual point of the article to somehow dismiss its value. The article is about comparing all the QB's under the same pressure...and Fitz is among the worst in the league at it. So just stating the obvious that all QB's perform lower under pressure then without pressure does not dismiss Fitzs very poor performance in comparison to all the other QB's in the league under pressure. People like you like to dismiss facts and go with biased opinion, lol.

BREAKING NEWS: In the NFL QB's will be facing pressure a lot because thats what defenses do. If your QB can't handle that, then thats a problem.

Edited by Alphadawg7

This response is about what I expected...you state the obvious that all QB's stats are worse under the pressure while completely ignoring the actual point of the article to somehow dismiss its value. The article is about comparing all the QB's under the same pressure...and Fitz is among the worst in the league at it. So just stating the obvious that all QB's perform lower under pressure then without pressure does not dismiss Fitz very poor performance in comparison to all the other QB's in the league under pressure. People like you like to dismiss facts and go with biased opinion, lol.

BREAKING NEWS: In the NFL QB's will be facing pressure a lot because thats what defenses do.

+ 1

And, throwing in the O-line excuse, which again isn't the issue in the article as you said does compare the QBs when defense is in the backfield.

Interesting read. Not really any surprises however. I also think after the first few games, D-coordinators also figured this out and

the scouting reports on him would say pretty much the same.

Good backup, not a starter.

1,000,000% accurate!

Two things.....

- Take a look at his 3rd down completion percentage

- Now take a look at how our defense couldn't stop anybody and he was FORCED to take chances

This is complete hogwash......if people want to talk about how the ball will fall out of his hand sometimes when he passes...fine Im with you

If people want to talk about how he can be very inaccurate at times.....fine im with you

BUT

Fitz is a great pressure player....if only the rest of the players on the team would match it.

The grade is poor, but some of the percentages show exactly what Fitz is/does.

He has a low completion percentage when facing pressure, but also has one of the lowest sack percentages on the table. Also, his interception % when facing pressure is middle of the pack compared with other QBs.

This tells me Fitz gets the ball out when pressured without taking a loss and without creating turnovers. He makes the smart play and lives for another down.

I think these numbers show exactly what we thought of Fitz, he's an average QB with great intelligence.

I am righ twith you.

people on this board who think he is the solution are going to very upset next year. He is not a starting QB. He is good off the bench 'holding down the fort' so to speak. I dont blame them for not getting a qb early in this draft. But to think Fitz is a starting qb, much less a play off qb just show lack of knkowledge of the game.

Oh yes.....fans that root for Fitz have a complete lack of knowledge of the game....surrrrrre

- 3000 yard passer

- Led a 1st year starter to break Bill Brooks TD record

- Has complete control of the offense.....as shown in how when he wasn't playing the offense complete fell apart (did you SEE what happened when Brohm started?)

- Has the complete trust in his teamates....especially the starters which is where it counts the most

Fitzy will never be confused with Tom Brady, Payton Manning, etc etc etc but he is a good enough starting QB until we get our hands on a QB of the future....thank god the people that run this team recognize that reaching for a QB would have been a horrible mistake when they can draft quality defense to keep putting the ball back in Fitzy's hands.

Two things.....

- Take a look at his 3rd down completion percentage

- Now take a look at how our defense couldn't stop anybody and he was FORCED to take chances

This is complete hogwash......if people want to talk about how the ball will fall out of his hand sometimes when he passes...fine Im with you

If people want to talk about how he can be very inaccurate at times.....fine im with you

BUT

Fitz is a great pressure player....if only the rest of the players on the team would match it.

+10000 oh wait now that makes me a fitz apologist?

BUT

Really? Hmm, stats and results say otherwise, but if you say so enough it must be true right.

Edited by Alphadawg7

What this study doesn't capture is the difference in Edwards vs Fitzpatrick.

Plays that Fitzpatrick successfully executed the called play and was able to deliver the ball on time in an effective manor without giving the opposing defense time to put pressure on the QB as compared to plays where LOSSman\Post Concussion Edwards would stand there, deer in the headlights, until the opposing defense sacked them or they dumped off the ball under pressure.

It would be interesting to see number of "pressure plays" as a percentage of total passing plays comparing Edwards to Fitzpatrick in 2009 and 2010. Same O-Line, Same Skill players, but I expect that Edwards was "pressured" more often as a result of holding the ball too long.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Simple high school level logic-

fact: Fitzpatrick had an average to above average year statistically and

fact (according to this study): Fitzpatrick was among the worst in the league with pressure in his face,

then: Fitzpatrick must have not had that much pressure last year.

Something doesn't add up here...

Newsflash: Fitz isn't the longterm answer at QB, but you can only fix so much in one offseason.

As lacking as Fitz may be, I still think he is good enough to get a team into the playoffs (not prevent them from making it with a strong enough supporting cast). The front office properly focused on D in the draft when a longterm QB wasn't available and now next year they can go after a QB. I say Fitz should play two more years (2011 and 2012) and then hopefully you have someone like Barkley etc stepping in. In the meantime the Bills should get a better RT and solidify the line in front of Fitz as being better upfront helps everyone.

Really? Hmm, stats and results say otherwise, but if you say so enough it must be true right.

A few things

- Stats are for losers (not calling you a loser)

- Results are reflective of the TEAM.....you know...its a team game? Much like when a receiver drops a ball that hits him right in the mits or a running back misses his block forcing Fitz to throw early or move out of the pocket...you know? Stuff like that

- Nice of you to chop a piece out of my post.....it makes it so much better of an arguement for you

Look....put aside the friggen numbers for just a second please? The bottom line is WILL THESE OTHER PLAYERS PLAY FOR FITZ? He leads by example....he doesnt throw his team under the bus and admits when he made a mistake......he is a gutsy player who takes chances.....he puts his body on the line......and when you hear the rest of this of the offensive players talk they dont want anybody but Fitz behind center......he is the very definition of LEADER

And since we dont have a Tom Brady or Payton Manning on the roster.....why not get behind the guy? What choice do you have?

A few things

- Results are reflective of the TEAM.....you know...its a team game? Much like when a receiver drops a ball that hits him right in the mits or a running back misses his block forcing Fitz to throw early or move out of the pocket...you know? Stuff like that

- Nice of you to chop a piece out of my post.....it makes it so much better of an arguement for you

Look....put aside the friggen numbers for just a second please? The bottom line is WILL THESE OTHER PLAYERS PLAY FOR FITZ? He leads by example....he doesnt throw his team under the bus and admits when he made a mistake......he is a gutsy player who takes chances.....he puts his body on the line......and when you hear the rest of this of the offensive players talk they dont want anybody but Fitz behind center......he is the very definition of LEADER

And since we dont have a Tom Brady or Payton Manning on the roster.....why not get behind the guy? What choice do you have?

Well put. I'm afraid I just don't have your patience though.

The grade is poor, but some of the percentages show exactly what Fitz is/does.

He has a low completion percentage when facing pressure, but also has one of the lowest sack percentages on the table. Also, his interception % when facing pressure is middle of the pack compared with other QBs.

This tells me Fitz gets the ball out when pressured without taking a loss and without creating turnovers. He makes the smart play and lives for another down.

I think these numbers show exactly what we thought of Fitz, he's an average QB with great intelligence.

Totally agree with this...

A few things

Trust me, I know and respect all those points...but, not all stats are for losers (and its a pretty week argument to say stats are for losers to dismiss the stats that factually disprove your argument), and the results I referred to were not the team results but Fitz's personal results as you said "Fitz" is "great" under pressure...and the results and stats both say otherwise. Not all stats prove this or that, but there are many stats that are important indicators of a players effectiveness overall or in given situations.

Clearly, the stats are plain as day that he is not good under pressure, but above and beyond that, he did not deliver when the pressure was on. We lost games on his arm this year with critical turnovers, even game ending turnovers, and drive ending missed passes. So, results and stats both say he is not "great" under pressure. That is the point.

I hope he comes out strong this year, but this discussion is not about next year, its about last year, and last year your claim of him being "great" under pressure has no factual basis other than you just saying it. I am behind the guy, I will root for him every weekend, but that doesn't change my opinion on how he played this past season. Because I am not satisfied with his past performance does not mean I hate the guy or won't root for him. He is a leader out there, he plays with guts, and I love that. But his individual performance was not good enough for me to say we are set at QB.

Edited by Alphadawg7

What's interesting from those numbers is that Fitz isn't one of the most pressured QBs in the league. He's 16th out of 34 rated QBs - almost exactly in the middle (drop Kolb and Romo to get one QB per team, and he's 16th of 32.) Our line is actually not doing a terrible job keeping rushers off the QB.

BREAKING NEWS: In the NFL QB's will be facing pressure a lot because thats what defenses do. If your QB can't handle that, then thats a problem.

Then it looks like the Jests wasted a bunch of picks on sanchez and the bills just wasted some cash on Fitz, who is better under pressure than sanchez. Bills are lookin smarter than the jests already! :w00t:

What's interesting from those numbers is that Fitz isn't one of the most pressured QBs in the league. He's 16th out of 34 rated QBs - almost exactly in the middle (drop Kolb and Romo to get one QB per team, and he's 16th of 32.) Our line is actually not doing a terrible job keeping rushers off the QB.

More likely Fitz gets the ball out on time before the pressure has a chance to develop.

Remember how the O-line looked ineffective in pass pro when the other QBs were playing last year… they're not a horrible pass pro unit but probably somewhere in the middle, IMO.

To be fair, they gave their endorsement to Trent year and look how that turned out.

They got rid of Trent very soon after seeing how he played in regular season games under real fire. After seeing what Fitz did with the remainder of the season, the majority of the season, they still give him a ringing endorsement. And if you had followed training camp, and seen Trent beat out the competition while playing in shorts, you might have done the same. In all honesty, I think they got rid of TE pretty quick.

A few things

Its funny how the only time people use this line is when the stats disprove what point they are trying to make.

I'm actually on your side in the Fitz argument john, but statements like that really weaken your argument.

More likely Fitz gets the ball out on time before the pressure has a chance to develop.

Remember how the O-line looked ineffective in pass pro when the other QBs were playing last year… they're not a horrible pass pro unit but probably somewhere in the middle, IMO.

That's a good point. Some combination of the line, the QB, and the coaches is improving the passing game, anyway. Let's hope that when everybody's health, and with a full training camp together as starters, we can start seeing that as a team strength.

Kelly on this team last year would have made us a playoff team assuming the games unfolded in similar fashion. I think we beat Mia (first game), Balt, KC, Chi, NE (first one), Jax, Pitt based on the games being in similar style. Yes, SJ kept us from getting a win under Fitz against Pitt, but there were other opportunities in that game to win it in regulation too that I think Kelly leads us to preventing us from being in OT in the first place.

You're on crack. First things first. Fitz did enough to beat Balt, how was it his fault we fumbled in Balt territory? Fitz did enough to beat KC, Lindell just couldn't kick the damned FG twice. He did plenty to beat Pitt... And I agree he would've beaten Mia the first meeting. You didn't point out that he had a 92.4 QB rating against NE the first game and a 121 QB rating against Jax.

I'm not saying Fitz is a great QB, but comparing him to Kelly is silly. I think many of you would agree Kelly had a much better supporting cast on O and a WAY better D and ST's play.

Again, this thing is fun to look at and discuss, but in no way is this totally indicative of QB play. You might point out that a lot of the top QB's are "rated" right where they should be, but you'd fail to point out that they all had much better supporting lines (who wouldn't play better QB if you BELIEVED in your O-line..?), and better supporting offenses (TO INCLUDE TE's, a QB's best friend in the face of pressure!). SOOoooo many variables...

Lol... well, it's a Monday isn't it...?

Can someone point me to that section of the article where he defines what pressure is? Is he just equating pressure to being blitzed? Beating a blitz is different than beating pressure. I need to know how he defines pressure before I can make sense out of his numbers.

GO BILLS!!!

I am righ twith you.

I have heard very few (if any?) people say "he is the solution". I have heard many people say hey played better than expected last year and that they are OK with him being the starter this year or until we find someone better. The QB's in the draft hardly looked better to me.

I am not "comfortable" with Fitz as our starter, but the sad thing is he's better than the other QB's we've had recently, and better then any available alternatives at the moment.

Those kind of stats, or ANY stats are always overblown and usually taken out of context. Fitz had a mess of a team around him, a defense that gave up loads of points, and a pathetic running attack on offense, which meant opposing D's could T off on him against our awful and oft injured o-line. He had virtually no receiving core (except SJ, who dropped plenty of his own).

Maybe you'd like the Bills to pick up Rob Johnson or JP Losman, who had better stats and QB ratings, but looked absolutely lost on the field. Fitz is no probowler, but the offense at least looked watchable for stretch's with him at the helm. Have a better solution than him? I'm all ears.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

First, I really hope that Fitz has a career year and really become successful while playing for the Bills.

I'm not sold on Fitz because I remember being excited in the off-season for Trent & JP. Win a play-off game, and we'll talk. I am also not upset that the Bills did not draft a quarterback. I am really tired of the Bills over-paying, in draft picks, for quarterbacks.

If the team struggles this year, I think they will look to draft a quarterback next year. I really believe that teams have to draft quarterbacks high in the draft and hope it was a good year as well as put good players around them. I like the strategy the Bills are implementing in that they plan to build up the team to make it easier for a new quarterback. I've seen many bad teams draft quarterback and still stink because the team stinks.

The one big concern I have with Chan Gailey is Jay Fiedler.

The "STATS" haters would also not like to admit that the Bills really didn't do any better scoring points with Fitz in '10 than with Edwards

and Jauron's/Edwards O in 2009.

Bills rank points scored 2009: 28

Bills rank points scored 2010: 28

I do realize they seemed to MOVE the ball much better with Fitz, and I do like him much better, but seem to recall a number of times when

he made really bad decisions or really bad throws at the end of games or when in the red zone.

I would like to see some stats for Fitz while in the red zone or in the two minute drill also.

Can someone point me to that section of the article where he defines what pressure is? Is he just equating pressure to being blitzed? Beating a blitz is different than beating pressure. I need to know how he defines pressure before I can make sense out of his numbers.

GO BILLS!!!

+1, these are just numbers.

GO BILLS!!!

Defenders in the backfield.

You're on crack. First things first. Fitz did enough to beat Balt, how was it his fault we fumbled in Balt territory? Fitz did enough to beat KC, Lindell just couldn't kick the damned FG twice. He did plenty to beat Pitt... And I agree he would've beaten Mia the first meeting. You didn't point out that he had a 92.4 QB rating against NE the first game and a 121 QB rating against Jax.

I'm not saying Fitz is a great QB, but comparing him to Kelly is silly. I think many of you would agree Kelly had a much better supporting cast on O and a WAY better D and ST's play.

Again, this thing is fun to look at and discuss, but in no way is this totally indicative of QB play. You might point out that a lot of the top QB's are "rated" right where they should be, but you'd fail to point out that they all had much better supporting lines (who wouldn't play better QB if you BELIEVED in your O-line..?), and better supporting offenses (TO INCLUDE TE's, a QB's best friend in the face of pressure!). SOOoooo many variables...

Where are you now McD? I only ask because I am recently retired from the USAF and noticed your sig.

Hold your horses...I did not compare him to Kelly, someone else did and he asked me to answer the question what if Kelly had been on that team last year. I even said in my response to him that it was foolish to compare Fitz to Kelly as if they are similar. That did not come from me, but I simply answered the question he posed to me.

Second, to answer your question about Kelly being a difference in the Balt game and the KC game...did you watch the games? If you did, then you would know we had a double digit half time lead that Fitz gave away in the 3rd for good with two very bad INT's that easily led to two Balt TD's. I am of the opinion that Kelly would have managed the game better and not had us playing from behind the rest of the game and better protected the lead. If you watched the KC game you would have seen one of Fitz's worst games of the season...he did not do enough to win that game, KC did enough to keep us in the game. KC dropped 3 gimme INT's (2 of which would have been pick sixes) for starters. Fitz had only one good drive the whole game, the late TD to SJ. Then he followed it up with a INT where we could have easily won the game with a FG in regulation. Then he missed a wide open Spiller for the win in the endzone BEFORE the missed FG. So again, Kelly IMO wins that game for us.

And your QB rating in those 2 other games...NE it was high because he just was Trent reincarnated as he dumped passes off all day in check downs and failed to convert 3rd downs or extend drives. We only had a shot because of a Spiller ST TD in the 2nd half, otherwise it would have been a blow out. Jax game, he started ok then vanished in the 2nd half until the game was a blow out and he got garbage time TD with a minute left in the game against prevent when they were not covering anyone. That made his stats look good, but his performance was not. In fact, many posters (who now love Fitz) was saying it was time to start Brohm as we were going into the bye week after that game. So again, I see Kelly as being a bigger difference in those games.

Edited by Alphadawg7