A New Team in 2011

Awesome changes have been happening at One Bills Drive. It's a whole new team. New Uniforms, New playing field, New scouting department Modrak fired, Great draft. The old loosing days are over. I BILLLIEVE!!!!! 8-8 or higher this year.

Awesome changes have been happening at One Bills Drive. It's a whole new team. New Uniforms, New playing field, New scouting department Modrak fired, Great draft. The old loosing days are over. I BILLLIEVE!!!!! 8-8 or higher this year.

How is 8-8 a new team? We've been 7-9, 8-8 for the majority of the past decade. :thumbdown:

I hear your optimism and it's great but being a realist and a fan at the same time I think they've got 3 years until they even break above 50%. They're putting the pieces in place but are starting to become a young team with no franchise QB in place that is really searching for an identity. If they go 50% this year but develop and grow the new guys they'll reach what my goal for them would be. I want to see last year's draft class become more evident. You had Easley (sp?) who was injured coming back to add to the recieving corps, Carrington is still a question mark as to if he can perform at the level we need, Moats looked promising but needs to earn the starting role again, and not to mention the #1 pick in CJ that hasn't really been all that spectacular. They need to find out how to get him the ball in space.

I do believe that this may have been the best draft as far as raw talent in quite some time. The Modrak Era has ended and the Whaley era begins. I do believe that Nix has this team heading in the right direction. I think he may have really done most of the work on the scouting and understood that Modrak screwed up the last 10 years of this franchises picks. This year and last year I believe that Nix/Gailey made the calls with Modrak's suggestions of minor importance. They went for players they found that were proven producers not like the MAYBIN 1 year wonder pick that has set us back quite a bit on where we should be with our D.

Good Riddance Modrak. Nice work Chan & Buddy. I really hope that they can turn this around eventually but as to the subject of the initial comment, 8-8 would be above expectations for me. I would be thrilled with an 8-8 season showing some direction as to the younger players and where they fit. Next year, QB (maybe by trading up) that can be the face of the franchise. Then 2 years from that they'll be competing for a spot on the AFC side barring no set backs or flops in the next couple drafts.

MC

RIP. The Donahue Modrak Era is Dead. I Billieve that the Bills Defense and an offense lead by last years #1 pick Spiller,will have a competitive season with two or three big upsets. New England??? They wont make the playoffs but last year was the bottom of the valley and now were headed to the top.

The Bills biggest problem last year was the defense not being able to stop anything. Otherwise they had a solid year and their record would have been better. If this season does happen I can see 10-6 if the new additions have an instant impact.

How is 8-8 a new team? We've been 7-9, 8-8 for the majority of the past decade. :thumbdown:

Simply not true. We're freaking 62-98 over the past decade. Coming off 6-10 and 4-12 season and a major rebuilding phase actually in progress w/ young talent for once, there's nothing wrong w/ an 8-8 season. That is progress. Young players winning, not 7-9s w/ stop gap vets.

Edited by stony

If we go 8-8 with our young rooks and second year players as starters, how is that low expectations? That would be huge progress.

+1

If we go 8-8 with our young rooks and second year players as starters, how is that low expectations? That would be huge progress.

Hows that progress? We EASILY should've been a 7-9 team last year if we won a couple OT games and won some other close games. I expect a 10-6 season next year and POSSIBLE playoff contention or I consider it a failure. I don't SETTLE for an average and subpar season like most in here.

You guys have such LOW standards. You'd be happy with an 8-8 season? I won't be happy until we hit the 10-6 mark.

You have such LOW standards. You'd be happy with a 10-6 season? I won't be happy until we hit the 12-4 mark. :rolleyes:

I hear your optimism and it's great but being a realist and a fan at the same time I think they've got 3 years until they even break above 50%.

I think this is an unrealistic view of how quickly things turn around in the NFL all the time.

Who had Tampa Bay going 10-6 last year (after going 3-13 in 2009)? Kansas City at 10-6 after going 4-12 in 2009?

Lots of teams stink and stay that way, of course, but the truth is that there is real parity of talent levels in the league, so it doesn't take much of a push to radically change a team's fortunes.

As for the Bills went 4-12, blah, blah - sure - after opening 2 games with Edwards, using a new defensive scheme they didn't have the players for, they still went 4-4 in the last 8, and three of their losses were in OT to playoff teams.

A close loss is still a loss - but an OT loss means you were tied after a full 60-minute game. The Bills were tied with three playoff teams - Baltimore, Kansas City, and Pittsburgh after a full 60-minute game - with two of them on the road, no less. They have some ability. If the defensive add's (including Wannstadt and the returning youngsters from last year) have a real impact - there's no reason at all to think 8-8 is a bad guess.

I'd also add that I think they were worse than they could have been last year, simply because the new coaching staff was sticking with some questionable veterans in order to evaluate them in the new schemes, and not necessarily playing the best choices until later.

Edited by BobChalmers

Hows that progress? We EASILY should've been a 7-9 team last year if we won a couple OT games and won some other close games. I expect a 10-6 season next year and POSSIBLE playoff contention or I consider it a failure. I don't SETTLE for an average and subpar season like most in here.

Because 4-12 to 8-8 is progress.

You are what your record says you are.

Any losing team can point to 2-3 moments in their season which would have positively affected their record…but close don't count.

If the Bills doubled their win output, that would be a strong indication of progress.

If buffalo wins those OT games they have a way better record....anything less then 9 & 7 is a dissapointment

You see, statements this is where I think logic goes completely out the window.

The Bills were 4-12 last year and by all rational accounts a train wreck. A defense that didn't know what it wanted to be when it grew up, 4-3 or 3-4 (had the personnel, arguably, for a 4-3 but wanted to play 3-4). A over achieving offense with no #1 WR, basically 1 RB for the bulk of the season (difficult to count Spiller as a RB he played so little and was so ineffective when he did) and so on.

So now this year the defensive line almost certainly got better. Linebackers stay the same. Defensive backs most likely stay the same. And my assumption is they will try a 3-4 again without the personnel for it (with a few exceptions).

The offense is for all intents and purposes unchanged.

How in the world does this equate to "anything less then 9 & 7 is a disappointment" to even the most fervent kool-aid drinker?

I have heard all the "but with a break here and a call going our way there we win 3 more games last season" stuff. But that is all bull ****. That team had the record they deserved last year. And without some kind of divine intervention will again this year. You may "Billieve", but come on. At some point logic has to kick in right? Remember last year at this time when people were saying the same things ("this team HAS to be better with Gailey and Spiller, they CAN'T end up with a worse record than 7-9")? What makes this year so different?

Personally with this team and their schedule, I would consider 8-8 a HUGE accomplishment.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Explain to me how we could've "easily" been 7-9 last year. We lost those close games for a reason. We couldn't close out good teams when the chips were down. Stevie's drop aside, the Baltimore and KC games are perfect examples of how bad we were, not how close we were to being good. Good teams strip the ball from stupid players, bad teams w/ avg. QB play throw floaters to the other team.

If you expect 10-6 next season, you'll probably be unhappy. I just hope it doesn't make your posts any more one-sided and angry.

Edited by stony

8-8 would be good if the team shows progress it can't be a Jauron like 7-9 where the team beats out a bunch of bad or mediocre teams barely. It has to have two or more wins against quality opponents, two or more complete blowouts, and two or more of the loses against good teams have to be down to wire.

Almost every level of the team has to improve.

Explain to me how we could've "easily" been 7-9 last year. We lost those close games for a reason. We couldn't close out good teams when the chips were down. Stevie's drop aside, the Baltimore and KC games are perfect examples of how bad we were, not how close we were to being good. Good teams strip the ball from stupid players, bad teams w/ avg. QB play throw floaters to the other team.

If you expect 10-6 next season, you'll probably be unhappy. I just hope it doesn't make your posts any more one-sided and angry.

Did u even pay attention to any of our games last year? 4-12 was our record last year. 3 of our games went to OT, which we had a legit shot of winning. Do the math.

Did u even pay attention to any of our games last year? 4-12 was our record last year. 3 of our games went to OT, which we had a legit shot of winning. Do the math.

Read my post genius. I gave you two reasons why we lost those OT games. Good teams ready to take the next step don't make those mistakes, especially in OT. Keep telling yourself that we could've been 7-9 or 8-8 if not for "this play" or "that call." There's been a lot of that this past 10 years. 8-8 next season would be a huge accomplishment. There's no crime in a 4 game improvement.

Edited by stony

It's about this year not last. New uniforms, playing surface, players and attitude. Last year and decade are history.

Of course, how could I not see that giving the team 3 or 4 extra wins right there ;)

The vast majority of last years team is also this years team, unless there is some dramatic upheaval.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana, in "Reason in Common Sense, The Life of Reason, Vol.1"

Edited by CodeMonkey

Read my post genius. I gave you two reasons why we lost those OT games. Good teams ready to take the next step don't make those mistakes, especially in OT. Keep telling yourself that we could've been 7-9 or 8-8 if not for "this play" or "that call." There's been a lot of that this past 10 years. 8-8 next season would be a huge accomplishment. There's no crime in a 4 game improvement.

Read MY post genius. We had legit shots of winning those games. Blah blah blah.

Wins and losses don't mean as much to me unless we're in the playoff hunt as attitude and identity. I'd much rather see us finish 3-13 and have at least one phase of our overall game showing promise, with an identity emerging with the other phases, than we finish 9-7 and still don't show any glimmer of hope of outcoaching N.E., and being manhandled by teams like the Jets. We do need the QB, so I'd like to see us do whatever it takes next year to land one of the top 2 QB's.

I look at Detroit and I get excited at what they are building with their D-line. You know they're going to collapse the pocket from the middle, and force teams to try to go outside... which will create an interesting reaction with their opponents. When you look at teams like Baltimore and the Jets, they have a distinct identity on Defense, and you know no matter who is in there playing, they're going to be tough, disciplined, and they're going to go after you. I'd like to see us develop some kind of trademark identity on Defense. Even if we don't have all the pieces, I would like to know what we're trying to be, and I'm excited, too, that we might for a change be starting an innovative new type of defensive scheme in the hybrid 3-4.

So, I'd like to see a direction and some real play out of the young guys on defense so we know where we need to go next offseason to get the remainder of the pieces. On offense I think we should expect to see a style of play, a system in place that is effective and that is capable of playing with anyone.

And, I'd like to see teams start to fear coming to the Ralph again - a turnaround like K.C. would be nice.

I agree with sllib olaffub…it's not so much the number of wins but how the team is progressing.

In 1987 when the Bills went 7-8, you KNEW they were heading in the right direction. The next year they won the AFC East and went to the Super Bowl in 4 of the next 6 years.

In 1995-96 when the Sabres went 33-42-7, you KNEW they were heading in the right direction. Three years later they were in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Ditto for the Sabres in 2003-2004 when they went 37-34-10. That team went to the Conference Finals in each of the next two years.

It's not that hard to see when a team is improving and has the talent to become a contender.

I think Fitzpatrick's play will be the difference between a 6-10 and a 10-6 season. If he can build on his play from last year then the Bills will be on their way to a possible playoff birth. If not, then it's back to the QB drawing board.

Read MY post genius. We had legit shots of winning those games. Blah blah blah.

You're not getting it.

There's a REASON why we didn't win those "legit shots"..... we weren't the better team.

The assumption is that if we're a better team this year, we win games like those, putting us much closer to 8-8 instead of 10-6.

It's not that difficult to comprehend, really.

You're not getting it.

There's a REASON why we didn't win those "legit shots"..... we weren't the better team.

The assumption is that if we're a better team this year, we win games like those, putting us much closer to 8-8 instead of 10-6.

It's not that difficult to comprehend, really.

You're right. It's a simple concept.

In using one of sports' most hackneyed descriptions, it's called "getting over the hump."

It's been a long playoff drought for us and thankfully we received some fresh air this past season with the likes of Nixs N Chan the Man Gailey and Mr. Whaley n Wanstar in his new playoff car :) headed are way hopefully i say But i can see things changing right in front of are eyes and i say this aint koolaid this is the time for this franchise to standup and kick some tail and bring the Lambardi trophy home in the next three years ! And I'd say to you that Fianlly there is a Bright lite at the end of this long long tunnel !

P.S. Kelvin kick some butt

8-8 way to aim high ,or are you being sarcastic.