Donte Whitner compares himself to Jesus

Disagree. Oh well.

I gotta agree with transient on this one. Both of Buddy's comments place it solely on Donte's shoulders; i.e., he "doesn't want to be a Bill." He's sending the message loud and clear that if Donte wants to stay in Buffalo, he needs to "get real" with respect to salary demands.

Amid the safety rankings that were released and posted on this board over the last several days, one thing stood out -- after Polamalu and Reed, you can toss the next ten guys in a bag and pick one out. Being ranked 3rd or 12th doesn't mean diddly poo. Somebody needs to make that clear to Donte.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with the Jesus reference. Plenty of people draw allegorical analogies to their own life. His problem is early on he made it clear it was all about the benjamins and little old buffalo couldnt sign a huge star like him. Now that there's no CBa and no one outside of buffalo really talks about him anyway, I bet he's nervous and that explains the change in tone.

I wish the lockout would end already so that crap threads like this that over analyze what a person posted on the Internet, about a subject that no one on this board has absolutely any control over would go away. Hallelujah! Praise the Lord! Where the Tylenol?

I just get the feeling like Whitner sulks a lot. He always "retweets" and tweets that mention him leaving Buffalo or anything about when we brought in a safety at the end of the season and also during the draft when we drafted our new Safety.

Just wish he would take the higher road and stay silent and let whatever happens happen

His problem is early on he made it clear it was all about the benjamins and little old buffalo couldnt sign a huge star like him. Now that there's no CBa and no one outside of buffalo really talks about him anyway

Jesus?

Buddys comments about how Donte won't be a Bill if he doesn't want to be here sums it all up. He thinks Donte is not worth on the open market anywhere near what he is asking for. In the end, he won't be signed by any team. Buffalo will make him an offer much less than what he was making and less than what he was asking for and it will be up to Donte if he decides to take less money.

I'm on the fence about him comming back. If we get him cheap that's great. We still ha e another Safety on the team to help gap the young Williams and Searcy in to starting roles and he's really not horrible, just not worth what he's asking.

At the same time, I'm not sure I want his childish attitude, and bad decision making on the field to rub off on the young, newly drafted players.

At the end of the day, if we get him at league minimum and he accepts the offer then It might be worth it.

Why are we trying to run this guy out of town ? He a good young player. Get a pass rush, and don't put the D on the field for 75 plays a game. As for the cost of his contract, who cares. If he wants 6 mil a year give it to him. Instead of being 50 mil under the cap, well be 44 mil under the cap.

:doh:

69 Games...5 INT's...19 Passes Defended combined while playing at both Safety Positions...For the one-millionth time Folks...And this goes for every Bills Fan who keeps saying it...Donte Whitner IS NOT A GOOD PLAYER...He may be average or a little better than average at SOME things...He may get better with a better D-Line...He may someday be a good Player...But up to this point in his career he has not been anywhere near consistent enough in all aspects of Safety play to be considered a good Player...There's no way...A good Player makes his Defense better purely by being on the field...The difference and the gap between Whitner and Troy Polamalu, Adrian Wilson, LaRon Landry, Chris Hope, and Dwan Landry is substantial...He's not as good as those Players period...End of story...But even SS's like Gerald Sensabaugh, Atari Bigby, and Paul Oliver have as much if not more impact on their Defenses than Whitner has had in Buffalo...

The next problem IS the money, and it's a HUGE Problem...Whitner's Rookie Contract was for an average of almost $6 million per year...For what he gives the Defense he's going to have to agree to a MAJOR Pay Cut...And I doubt that is going to happen in Buffalo...There are plenty of UFA Safeties who will take less than $6 million per year...And if you want to spend $6 million per year at SS, which is stupid anyway unless you get a great Player, why not get a Player like Michael Huff who's play seems to be on the rise not the decline? The Bills can get similar play from George Wilson at SS, with better Cover and Ball skills for half of what Whitner is going to want...Re-signing Whitner creates a logjam...The Bills are not going to re-sign him and sit him...Meanwhile other Players can't get on the Field...

I just don't think it's wise to even consider bringing Whitner back...It's a bad fit at this point and both sides need to part ways...Whitner is going to want more than he's worth from The Bills out of pride, and if The Bills make it clear they want him back it's hard to blame Whitner for wanting a raise...He's not worth anywhere close to $6 million per year...Just let him go... B-)

Be fair...I followed the link and there is some fairly classy stuff there:

@ajwilliams04 yo congrats on being drafted bro...now the work starts....hopefully I'm there in Buffalo to help u guys...imma follow DM me #

@jairusbyrd thanks bro...u kno u belong here also!!! (in response to being rated a top-10 safety)

I respect Mr. Buddy Nix tremendously but we all have to remember this is a business...I have no ill feelings..1 love Buff

I think he is a stream of consciousness kinda guy and sometimes doesn't realize how he will get taken. It's really reader interpretation that "People hated Jesus" is a comparison of himself to Jesus and not a religion-theme, right?

"but if only they knew the power he possessed" is an addition when someone else retweeted his comment, and shouldn't be hung up on Whitner at all.

He also likes to get cute and yank people's chains - tweeting about stuff in a way he knows can (and is likely to) get taken differently "I'm gone!" "oh, how do you know it wasn't about a woman?"

It probably was, no CBA and what team would be fool enough to negotiate outside the rules with a blab-mouth who will help build evidence to get them caught and charged with tampering?

I'll put it out there: if Whitner is on board with wanting to play hard and train hard and improve, he's a good player and I want him back if he's willing to be signed at a reasonable price. I don't think we are so chock-full of good players that we can afford to toss out players who have never been in any kind of legal or league trouble and have played hard, just because we interpret their tweets a certain way and it offends us. To build a winning team, the only reason to toss out a good player is because you have a better player on-tap.

So for example, if we want to toss out Whitner to make salary room for pursuing a good FA safety who suits us better (bigger, stronger, wraps and tackles instead of back-tackling), cool

Because his tweeting annoys us? Don't read it....http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/earmuffs.html

For Donte's sake I wish someone would drop his Smartphone in a urinal......like that ad....."Seriously?"

Good post.

it doesn't matter what he does, he will always be run out of Buffalo for one simple reason, HE IS NOT HALOTI NGATA! He could volunteer to play for the league minimum, then intercept every pass that comes his way, single handidly stop every running attempt behind the line of scrimmage, and become the next franchise QB here, all while walking on water and finding the cure for Aids and Cancer, but fans will still find every excuse available not to like the guy and run him out of town because he was taken #8 instead of Ngata

People here have a grudge against him for that reason from the second the Bills called his name and that won't ever change

Whitner was never anything more than an average saftey in the box, with poor cover skills. He can't cover a TE to save his life. Yet he talks as if he's a 10 time pro bowler.

Hey kind of reminds me of Keyshawn Johnson, high draft pick that was never anything more than mediocre at best. Of course he believed he was the greatest ever...

Bryan Scott is flat out better then Whitner in all categories and should have started last year. The only reason he didn't was Whitner's high draft pick and self love...

PS: He was another Bills reach to begin with, most draft "experts" had him going at the end of the 1st, early second.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

it doesn't matter what he does, he will always be run out of Buffalo for one simple reason, HE IS NOT HALOTI NGATA! He could volunteer to play for the league minimum, then intercept every pass that comes his way, single handidly stop every running attempt behind the line of scrimmage, and become the next franchise QB here, all while walking on water and finding the cure for Aids and Cancer, but fans will still find every excuse available not to like the guy and run him out of town because he was taken #8 instead of Ngata

People here have a grudge against him for that reason from the second the Bills called his name and that won't ever change

If he was anywhere near a good Player he would be accepted no problem...You're over-exaggerating...We all know they made a massive mistake in not Drafting Ngata...But that's over and done with...No one expects Whitner to have that kind of impact...And if they do they're nuts...What is expected is that Donte have SOME kind of consistent positive impact...And sorry...19 Passes defended and 5 INT's in 69 Games is not going to cut it...It's no where near good enough...No one is making excuses...Turn on the tape...Look at the results...He's not good enough...period... B-)

Whitner was never anything more than an average saftey in the box, with poor cover skills. He can't cover a TE to save his life. Yet he talks as if he's a 10 time pro bowler.

Hey kind of reminds me of Keyshawn Johnson, high draft pick that was never anything more than mediocre at best. Of course he believed he was the greatest ever...

Bryan Scott is flat out better then Whitner in all categories and should have started last year. The only reason he didn't was Whitner's high draft pick and self love...

PS: He was another Bills reach to begin with, most draft "experts" had him going at the end of the 1st, early second.

Why would this determine him being the starter? He was a draft pick of the former regime and the current one had no ties to taking him in the draft.

Why would this determine him being the starter? He was a draft pick of the former regime and the current one had no ties to taking him in the draft.

No argument here, it SHOULDN'T have any impact on him being a starter...But high draft picks always seem to get the benefit of the doubt. You could also use his higher salary as a reason...You know the ownership doesn't want to be seen with another overpaid high draft pick riding the bench...even though we all see through it anyway.

I rarely start a new thread on this board & I know there have been a number of threads recently about Whitner & twitter. However, I feel this deserves its own thread:

Whitner seems to be backtracking on twitter after Nix's comments. He seems apologetic: he wants to stay in Buffalo. He also compared himself to Jesus yesterday: "People hated Jesus," "but only if they knew the power he possessed..."

He must have a pretty healthy self-image... The fact that he likens criticism of himself to Jesus Christ's suffering, confirms what I've thought for a long time now: Whitner has the intelligence, and the maturity, of a child...

I really hope Nix retracts the contract offer completely... I don't even want this guy back for the league minimum...

Link:

http://twitter.com/#!/DONTEWHITNER

Are you serious? <_<

If he was anywhere near a good Player he would be accepted no problem...You're over-exaggerating...We all know they made a massive mistake in not Drafting Ngata...But that's over and done with...No one expects Whitner to have that kind of impact...And if they do they're nuts...What is expected is that Donte have SOME kind of consistent positive impact...And sorry...19 Passes defended and 5 INT's in 69 Games is not going to cut it...It's no where near good enough...No one is making excuses...Turn on the tape...Look at the results...He's not good enough...period... B-)

He has been hated since day one, and the only thing that would have changed that is if Ngata had been a total Bust, and Whitner had been a Pro Bowler from Day 1. Even if he was a "good player, he still would not be accepted because he isn't an "elite player" and he wasn't who everyone else thought the bills should take at that point.

Quick Stat Comparrison from NFL.com

Bryan Scott - 55 Games, 12 PDef, 1 INT's, 162 Tackles, 0 TD, 6.0 Sck's (Stats since becoming a Bill)

George Wilson - 63 Games, 14 PDef, 8 INT's, 148 Tackles, 1 TD, 3.5 Sck's

Donte Whitner - 69 Games, 18 PDef, 5 INT's, 323 Tackles, 1 TD, 1.5 Sck's

Looking at those numbers, how can anyone sit there and say that Whitner isn't atleast a good player, and yet say that Scott or Wilson are much better?

He has been hated since day one, and the only thing that would have changed that is if Ngata had been a total Bust, and Whitner had been a Pro Bowler from Day 1. Even if he was a "good player, he still would not be accepted because he isn't an "elite player" and he wasn't who everyone else thought the bills should take at that point.

Bryan Scott - 55 Games, 12 PDef, 1 INT's, 162 Tackles, 0 TD, 6.0 Sck's (Stats since becoming a Bill)

Looking at those numbers, how can anyone sit there and say that Whitner isn't atleast a good player, and yet say that Scott or Wilson are much better?

Also, for those of you with INT fetishes, keep in mind that most of Wilson's snaps came at FREE Safety, which is normally the Safety position that gets the interceptions. Strong Safeties are there more to help support the run, and be the LAST LINE OF DEFENSE against the run.

I capitalized that for the posters that have said they want to see Whitner making more plays at, or behind, the Line of Scrimmage. If that is being said, then you have to look at 1. WTF is up with our LBs, because that is the LBs job, and 2. Our "fans"'s knowledge of the game for expecting a player to do something that is not his positions job.

They should just blame our horrible blocking on Offense on the Fullback... :rolleyes:

Apusz, dont waste too much energy bringing facts to this argument. Most of these opinions on Whitner were formed the moment his name was said and everyone went "WHO?!?". Doesnt matter that we havent had a pass rush in 15 years, or that the DL and LBs were so bad we had the 32nd run defense last year. It's obviously the Safety's fault...

Edited by DrDareustein

The number of tackles is sick - that shows pretty clearly that the safeties in general are hampered by abyssmal play in the center of the defense. Imagine how much better ANY of them would be if running backs got so much as breathed on at the line.

As for Whitner comparing himself to Jesus...big deal. I compare myself to Jesus all the time - my landscaping looks muy bien.

The number of tackles is sick - that shows pretty clearly that the safeties in general are hampered by abyssmal play in the center of the defense. Imagine how much better ANY of them would be if running backs got so much as breathed on at the line.

As for Whitner comparing himself to Jesus...big deal. I compare myself to Jesus all the time - my landscaping looks muy bien.

Double Thumbs Up on that one!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you wan't to use those numbers for comparison, you really have to use games started at least...And even regardless of who is starting, Whitner has seen WAY more playing time than the other two. Also, I am not a stat person JP losman and Rob Johnson both actually had decent stats at times...but watching them play was awful.

Having said that, I don't think Whitner was awful. I just don't think he is as good as a 1st rounder should of been, or NEARLY as good as he thinks he is. Watching the both of them play, Bryan Scott certainly looked like more of a playmaker when he was on the field. He was physical, stuck to TE's like glue, and was a solid tackler...I think he should have, and should be, starting over Whitner.

How many times did Whitner go for a big hit last year, not use his arms, bounce off the guy, and have him run for a big play...Way too many in my opinion...Thats supposedly his strength...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

...As for Whitner comparing himself to Jesus...big deal. I compare myself to Jesus all the time - my landscaping looks muy bien...

Until Whitner compares himself to DC Tom, I won't feel he has an ego problem.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm pretty sure the only reasons Whitner were offered contracts (tendered at certain levels... I thought the were RFAs) was so the Bills might Garner a couple of draft picks if they resign elseware.

Nix has two players here, neither of which played up to the level of the money they were paid. Why would you want to pay more to get the same results from these two? Maybe you turn Poz into a safety since he makes most of his tackles 8+ yards down the field.

I'm pretty sure the only reasons Whitner were offered contracts (tendered at certain levels... I thought the were RFAs) was so the Bills might Garner a couple of draft picks if they resign elseware.

Nix has two players here, neither of which played up to the level of the money they were paid. Why would you want to pay more to get the same results from these two? Maybe you turn Poz into a safety since he makes most of his tackles 8+ yards down the field.

Or maybe you keep the little talent you have, and instead replace/upgrade the crappier players around them first. Like adding Sheppard next to Poz, and Dareus in front of him? Neither Whitner nor Poz are going to command very high salaries. Whitner should end up around $6mil/year. And that may seem like a lot to me and you as "everyday Joes", but relative to the league, that is a mid-road contract for a mid-road veteran. Especially as we move forward and salaries only increase. The Bills have plenty of cap space. I dont want them overpaying for any player, but if there is room and it means keeping talent around, then they should do it.

Dont let all this public negotiation (Twhitner and Nix in the press) rile you up too much. Once they can talk again, I bet theyll work something out quickly. Especially after the big offers dont come rolling into Donte's office.

Please... :lol:

We both know Whitner has been on the field more than Scott and Wilson combined...Games played and Tackles don't tell the whole story...If they did then yes Donte would be considered a good Player...But they don't and he's not good...He's a liability in the Passing Game at the Safety Position...How can any Safety, Strong or Free, be considered good when they are a liability vs. The Pass? If Donte was as good against the Pass as he is vs The Run then MAYBE the argument could be made that he is a good Player...He does not make enough impact plays to be considered a good Player...Believe me, I wish to God I was wrong about this but I'm not...He's just not nearly good enough... B-)

Stop e-stalking the guy if you hate him so much.

Checking his twitter once or twice a month = e-stalking. The king of hyperbole strikes again...

p.s., I'll e-stalk whomever the hell I please....

We both know Whitner has been on the field more than Scott and Wilson combined...Games played and Tackles don't tell the whole story...If they did then yes Donte would be considered a good Player...But they don't and he's not good...He's a liability in the Passing Game at the Safety Position...How can any Safety, Strong or Free, be considered good when they are a liability vs. The Pass? If Donte was as good against the Pass as he is vs The Run then MAYBE the argument could be made that he is a good Player...He does not make enough impact plays to be considered a good Player...Believe me, I wish to God I was wrong about this but I'm not...He's just not nearly good enough... B-)

Good post. Also, he has no ability to locate the football while it's in the air. He usually has no idea where the ball is when it's coming down on long passes. There have been opportunities in the past where he was actually in position to make a play, had semi-good coverage, and yet he completely whiffed. I'm just tired of seeing him play. I have a hard time believing that our new rookie can't come in and play at a similar level. Perhaps he is slightly above average in run support, but that tackle stat is definitely misleading...

Edited by applescruff

Whitner is KING of the "back tackle". Instead of lowering his shoulder and delivering a big hit, he turns and thrusts his body back first.

I can honestly not remember ONE time when he deflected a pass away from a TE, causing an incompletion.

Sad to see him go, I will not be.

Checking his twitter once or twice a month = e-stalking. The king of hyperbole strikes again...

p.s., I'll e-stalk whomever the hell I please....

Not just you, all of you. How many threads have been made in the last few days, let alone years, about "Donte Whitner Tweets"? Who cares?

It's like a bunch of middle schoolers in here. "OMG, Donte said WHAT?!? Does that mean he's not gonna sit at the same lunch table as Buddy? Do you think theyll fight in gym class?!?"

With all the BS ex-greats like Reed, Thomas, and Talley post, had Twitter been around back then, I bet all of you would hate on their posts too. Its just twitter. Its completely superfluous information that comes off the top of some dude's head. It doesnt mean anything.

And furthermore, if you have a problem with it, why doesnt anyone here take it up with Donte directly? He leaves himself open. Instead of having our little circle jerk here, talk to the man himself. And I implore you to do it in a way that doesnt embarrass yourself or the rest of us fans.

323 tackles in 69 games is what, about 4.7 a game? Meh. I'm glad Donte has been able to wrap up ball carriers after they get through the crappy front seven. That doesn't make him an elite (or even very good) SS. As others have said, he's pretty worthless in pass coverage.

I'm certainly not saying Wilson and Scott are "much better" than Donte overall, but Wilson has much better "ball in the air" skills and Scott is a harder hitter. And they make a fraction of what Whitner makes.

I'll take this softball.

Answer: WATCH THE GAMES!

:)

Also, he has no ability to locate the football while it's in the air. He usually has no idea where the ball is when it's coming down on long passes. There have been opportunities in the past where he was actually in position to make a play, had semi-good coverage, and yet he completely whiffed.

This is SUCH a great point and something the Whitner's backers who think he's "good" will completely ignore...One play that comes to mind immediately was the Sidney Rice TD last Season at Minnesota...Whitner is in perfect position to make a Play on that Ball...But he waits for the Ball to come down and tries to catch it waist high while Rice is jumping over McLovin's back to make an incredible grab...Watch the tape...There is no way that Ball should have got to Rice or McKelvin...But Donte simply is poor in this area of Coverage...You don't pay a guy $6 million per year who can't make that play... B-)

Was Stevie Johnson really blaming Donte'?

"I follow you 24/7 (on twitter)--and this is how you do me??"

Also, for those of you with INT fetishes, keep in mind that most of Wilson's snaps came at FREE Safety, which is normally the Safety position that gets the interceptions. Strong Safeties are there more to help support the run, and be the LAST LINE OF DEFENSE against the run.

Doesnt matter that we havent had a pass rush in 15 years, or that the DL and LBs were so bad we had the 32nd run defense last year. It's obviously the Safety's fault...

So Polumalu is great only because of his DL and LBs? And Whitner on the Steelers=Polumalu?

Guess the rest of us aren't bright enough to understand that.

Or maybe you keep the little talent you have

Personally i think paying "top safety" money who doesn't even deserver to be the starter on his own team is a little ridiculous. I'm sure Nix realizes like many of us do that Scott played better then him in almost all aspects of the game, and now they have Searcy...Why keep him when the ALREADY have better players.

We both know Whitner has been on the field more than Scott and Wilson combined...

+1

he has no ability to locate the football while it's in the air. He usually has no idea where the ball is when it's coming down on long passes. There have been opportunities in the past where he was actually in position to make a play, had semi-good coverage, and yet he completely whiffed.

Excellent point, he does this ALL THE TIME. Whitner thinks about one thing, and one thing only...Hitting, and hes not even good at it. Half of the time he lines a guy up, hits him with eyes closed and arms bunched up then just bounces off him...

Whitner is KING of the "back tackle". Instead of lowering his shoulder and delivering a big hit, he turns and thrusts his body back first.

I can honestly not remember ONE time when he deflected a pass away from a TE, causing an incompletion.

Sad to see him go, I will not be.

Exactly, meanwhile Bryan Scott was the exact opposite. He stuck right to TE's, and made sure tackles.