Donte Whitner compares himself to Jesus

I rarely start a new thread on this board & I know there have been a number of threads recently about Whitner & twitter. However, I feel this deserves its own thread:

Whitner seems to be backtracking on twitter after Nix's comments. He seems apologetic: he wants to stay in Buffalo. He also compared himself to Jesus yesterday: "People hated Jesus," "but only if they knew the power he possessed..."

He must have a pretty healthy self-image... The fact that he likens criticism of himself to Jesus Christ's suffering, confirms what I've thought for a long time now: Whitner has the intelligence, and the maturity, of a child...

I really hope Nix retracts the contract offer completely... I don't even want this guy back for the league minimum...

Link:

http://twitter.com/#!/DONTEWHITNER

Edited by applescruff

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely start a new thread on this board & I know there have been a number of threads recently about Whitner & twitter. However, I feel this deserves its own thread:

Whitner seems to be backtracking on twitter after Nix's comments. He seems apologetic: he wants to stay in Buffalo. He also compared himself to Jesus yesterday: "People hated Jesus," "but only if they knew the power he possessed..."

He must have a pretty healthy self-image... The fact that likens criticism of himself to Jesus Christ's suffering, confirms what I've thought for a long time now: Whitner has the intelligence, and the maturity, of a child...

I really hope Nix retracts the contract offer completely... I don't even want this guy back for the league minimum...

Buddy Nix also softened his comments towards Whitner in his talk with Clark Judge.

He said: "As to what this means for Donte Whitner [who can become a free agent] I think this: I can't put words in Donte's mouth. All I can go by is past actions, and I'm not sure Donte wants to be a Buffalo Bill. All I know is that if that's true, he won't be."

This is a few days after he said on local radio: "I don't' believe Whitner wants to return to the team, and that means "he probably won't."

Buddy Nix also softened his comments towards Whitner in his talk with Clark Judge.

He said: "As to what this means for Donte Whitner [who can become a free agent] I think this: I can't put words in Donte's mouth. All I can go by is past actions, and I'm not sure Donte wants to be a Buffalo Bill. All I know is that if that's true, he won't be."

This is a few days after he said on local radio: "I don't' believe Whitner wants to return to the team, and that means "he probably won't."

Aside from the fact that he didn't reiterate his previous statement verbatim, I'd say the meaning behind both of these statements is the same.

I just looked at Donte's twitter feed. He made several comments about wanting to stay in Buffalo. "hopefully I'm there in Buffalo to help u guys" "Still, I never said I wanna leave Buffalo."

Take it for whatever it's worth.

He must have a pretty healthy self-image... The fact that he likens criticism of himself to Jesus Christ's suffering, confirms what I've thought for a long time now: Whitner has the intelligence, and the maturity, of a child...

Link: http://twitter.com/#!/DONTEWHITNER

Be fair...I followed the link and there is some fairly classy stuff there:

@ajwilliams04 yo congrats on being drafted bro...now the work starts....hopefully I'm there in Buffalo to help u guys...imma follow DM me #

@jairusbyrd thanks bro...u kno u belong here also!!! (in response to being rated a top-10 safety)

I respect Mr. Buddy Nix tremendously but we all have to remember this is a business...I have no ill feelings..1 love Buff

I think he is a stream of consciousness kinda guy and sometimes doesn't realize how he will get taken. It's really reader interpretation that "People hated Jesus" is a comparison of himself to Jesus and not a religion-theme, right?

"but if only they knew the power he possessed" is an addition when someone else retweeted his comment, and shouldn't be hung up on Whitner at all.

He also likes to get cute and yank people's chains - tweeting about stuff in a way he knows can (and is likely to) get taken differently "I'm gone!" "oh, how do you know it wasn't about a woman?"

It probably was, no CBA and what team would be fool enough to negotiate outside the rules with a blab-mouth who will help build evidence to get them caught and charged with tampering?

I'll put it out there: if Whitner is on board with wanting to play hard and train hard and improve, he's a good player and I want him back if he's willing to be signed at a reasonable price. I don't think we are so chock-full of good players that we can afford to toss out players who have never been in any kind of legal or league trouble and have played hard, just because we interpret their tweets a certain way and it offends us. To build a winning team, the only reason to toss out a good player is because you have a better player on-tap.

So for example, if we want to toss out Whitner to make salary room for pursuing a good FA safety who suits us better (bigger, stronger, wraps and tackles instead of back-tackling), cool

Because his tweeting annoys us? Don't read it....http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/earmuffs.html

For Donte's sake I wish someone would drop his Smartphone in a urinal......like that ad....."Seriously?"

Edited by Hopeful

I'm not sure whether or not the guy a few posts up said it, or at least said it clearly...but Donte actually tweet simply "people hated Jesus." Then some guy responded "if only they knew the power he possessed." Then Donte RT the convo. For what it's worth. And hell....I may not be reading it right. Just saying...you have to sort of know how to read twitter.

You must be talking pre-crucifixtion?

This...this is wonderful

To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about Donte's diva tendencies. If he can consistently contribute on defense then I say bring him back. He's not a bad safety by any means, and this team needs talent more than anything. I'm not convinced that Searcy is gonna come in and light it up right away.

Why are we trying to run this guy out of town ? He a good young player. Get a pass rush, and don't put the D on the field for 75 plays a game. As for the cost of his contract, who cares. If he wants 6 mil a year give it to him. Instead of being 50 mil under the cap, well be 44 mil under the cap.