MODRAK FIRED!

Not until Ralph is gone.

Not quite a classy comment. But I think Nix is running the show. No way Modrak is fired if Wilson is calling all the shots. He's finally gotten it: have imput, but let the GM do his job and good things usually happen. Also note that no QB was drafted for 2 years in a row (ok, Brown in the 7th last year), and Ralph wanted one.

Edited by RyanC883

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of the picks did they coach at the Senior Bowl? I don't think I've actually seen those numbers.

They coached Sheppard and Chris White. Searcy was on the North roster. So, the 3rd, 4th, and 6th round picks are guys they saw a lot of because of the Senior Bowl experience. And, clearly, they saw a lot of other guys they passed over to get the ones they did.

While I don't disagree that Nix may have had a hand in this, the move definitely has the marks of Ralph. He's had a bug up his a$$ all offseason about the last decade of drafting blunders - and rightly so. I'm sure he's been asking Nix why he's paying Modrak to screw drafts up.

This pitstop in Buffalo definitely wasn't a good addition to Modrak's resume. In fact, I'd be surprised if he gets re-hired. Probably the end of the road.

Actually, the move looks like 100% Nix. I think Ralph has finally found someone he's comfortable trusting again.

Not quite a classy comment. But I think Nix is running the show. No way Modrak is fired if Wilson is calling all the shots. He's finally gotten it: have imput, but let the GM do his job and good things usually happen. Also note that no QB was drafted for 2 years in a row (ok, Brown in the 7th last year), and Ralph wanted one.

Which one though?

I doubt he told them to draft a QB for the sake of drafting one. I'm sure he had his mind made up on 1 or 2 guys at QB but likely didn't see him make it to the second round. I think they had their hearts set on defense to start with since it was the biggest problem hence the second round.

Same old Bills? Sorry Vet but that's ironic.

More like "Same old BillsVet". No matter what the Bills do, he's going to B word about it and turn it negative. I believe he has posted numerous times about how keeping on Modrak was a sign that the Bills were run poorly. Now firing Modrak is a sign they are run poorly?

More like "Same old BillsVet". No matter what the Bills do, he's going to B word about it and turn it negative. I believe he has posted numerous times about how keeping on Modrak was a sign that the Bills were run poorly. Now firing Modrak is a sign they are run poorly?

It's funny and predictable. He says "no plan and knee-jerk reaction" when in fact, the timing makes perfect sense (right after draft so no confidentiality issues). It would have been knee-jerk to fire Modrak LAST year, before Nix had an opportunity to oversee the entire scouting operation for a full season and offseason.

Any other owner would have fired him 4-5 years ago, at least, but not Ralphy. Another example of how poorly the entire franchise has been run.

Yep. He didn't fire Modrak because he's cheap.

Any other owner would have fired him 4-5 years ago, at least, but not Ralphy. Another example of how poorly the entire franchise has been run.

Hey, why don't you and BillsVet go down to the gym and pump each other?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Surely even the pessimists can get over themselves and acknowledge a move by the Bills that makes sense.

Because someone like Belichek would've picked him and picked his brain.

Exactly.

Actually, the move looks like 100% Nix. I think Ralph has finally found someone he's comfortable trusting again.

Yes. I don't think it was a matter of Nix finally making the decision to can Modrak, I think it was Nix finally convincing Ralph that it was time to fire Modrak.

Modrak has been Ralph's boy, his trusted confidante, for the last five years. That's why Ralph made him a VP and part of the three headed monster. I think Nix has now replaced Modrak as the trusted one. Ralph OK'd the firing, and Buddy determined the time frame.

The interesting thing now is what will come out of Modrak's mouth. If he is done, and retires, the truth may come out as to who was pulling the trigger on all those awful draft picks.

Yep. He didn't fire Modrak because he's cheap.

Think it is more a statement on the lack of NFL scouting/personnel connections Ralph, Marv, and Brandon had. After Donahoe, Ralph rightly or wrongly became paranoid and wasn't going to hire someone he didn't know. Ralph also knew Nix, but Nix seems to know a lot of people in the football world and have good connections unlike Brandon and Marv.