Soon to be stars: Arthur Moats

The Bills had a multitude of needs entering the draft. A pass-rushing outside linebacker for their 3-4 scheme had to be as pressing of a problem as any spot on their roster. Of course, the Bills had only so many draft picks and could not address every need, but the fact that they ignored this position in the early rounds could indicate they are excited about linebacker Arthur Moats as he matures. They should be.

Remember, this 23-year old hails from a very small school (James Madison) and such an adjustment to the NFL can be very difficult. And Moats’ role did expand as the 2010 season went along, even though he did seem to hit a bit of a rookie wall late in the season. But again, this is to be expected to some degree. But most importantly, Moats can rush the passer. He still needs work securing the edge in the run game, but Buffalo’s defensive line looks to be incredibly improved, and that should help Moats’ cause in this department -- as well as in getting after opposing quarterbacks.

Moats plays hard, has good bulk and athletic ability for the position. He isn’t the tall, leaner outside backer type, but more in the mold of what Pittsburgh looks for at the position in stressing leverage and power. He would benefit a ton from the addition of an established outside linebacker in free agency and might never truly be a No. 1 edge pass-rusher, but he is on the rise and could be in store for a breakout season. If you are not familiar with Moats yet, it is time you learn about this player.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/28653/soon-to-be-stars-arthur-moats

Good old 6th round draft pick,,,Arthur Moats. I'm sure many publications gave the Bills a low draft grade in 2010 because they reached on a 6th round LB from an FCS school. Gotta give Buddy and his staff a lot of credit on that one.

Well they didn't draft an outside backer when they had the opportunity in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

After we drafted Aaron Williams, I concluded that the Bills weren't gonna draft an OLB.

Apparently with Moats, Merriman (who has been given a clean bill of health), 2009 SEC sack leader Antonio Coleman, Kelsay, Maybe, and Danny Batten probably moving back outside, the Bills feel like one or two of these players is gonna step up.

If not, they'll draft for that position next year.

Well they didn't draft an outside backer when they had the opportunity in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

After we drafted Aaron Williams, I concluded that the Bills weren't gonna draft an OLB.

Apparently with Moats, Merriman (who has been given a clean bill of health), 2009 SEC sack leader Antonio Coleman, Kelsay, Maybe, and Danny Batten probably moving back outside, the Bills feel like one or two of these players is gonna step up.

If not, they'll draft for that position next year.

Thanks for saving me a couple minutes of typing sir

Moats will benefit from the experience he gained and from the fact that Williams and Dareus will tie up blockers. I like what Nix and Gailey are doing to improve this team. They are selecting bigger guys who have football instincts. They seem to care little about outside opinions. They are also not chasing marquee names that may generate buzz but lack impact. Time will judge their efforts but they seem to be headed in the right direction.

Moats will benefit from the experience he gained and from the fact that Williams and Dareus will tie up blockers. I like what Nix and Gailey are doing to improve this team. They are selecting bigger guys who have football instincts. They seem to care little about outside opinions. They are also not chasing marquee names that may generate buzz but lack impact. Time will judge their efforts but they seem to be headed in the right direction.

As stated earlier in the thread, thanks for saving me typing time. You're dead on.

What I am not getting is where does Shawn Merriman play? Granted, I have said the lights might be out for good as he hasn't done anything in 3 years but if he comes back Moats or Kelsey move to the bench. Personally I am in favor of Kelsey moving to the bench but we just game him one of our typical high paying mediocre performer contracts last year.

Moats will benefit from the experience he gained and from the fact that Williams and Dareus Jasper the Giant will tie up four blockers. I like what Nix and Gailey are doing to improve this team. They are selecting bigger guys who have football instincts. They seem to care little about outside opinions. They are also not chasing marquee names that may generate buzz but lack impact. Time will judge their efforts but they seem to be headed in the right direction.

Fixed it for you.

I'd like to see all these stars stop the run first, then i'll be the first to praise them.

While Moats showed some pass rush capability, it wasn't earth shattering and I have to agree with the stopping of the run. What he showed last year is some potential. I do hope we found a diamond in the rough with Moats, but before we anoint him stardom, let him earn it first.

While Moats showed some pass rush capability, it wasn't earth shattering and I have to agree with the stopping of the run. What he showed last year is some potential. I do hope we found a diamond in the rough with Moats, but before we anoint him stardom, let him earn it first.

I agree but he def should he has the ability and by all accounts the drive too. Im pretty excited for his future