Thinking ahead: Maybe not a good idea to draft QB this year

K-No

So we draft Newton or Gabbert with the #3 pick, and sit him the 1st year as they adjust to the NFL.

Our 1st round pick now provides no impact for 2011. We probably blow the 2nd round pick again, and we're likely looking at the top draft pick in 2012. And there awaits Andrew Luck who we could not pass on as our QB of the future and who would likely start day one.

What then of Newton or Gabbert? They would turn into yet another #1 draft pick with less than 1st round impact.

Just thinking out loud here...... :)

Edited by K-No

So we draft Newton or Gabbert with the #3 pick, and sit him the 1st year as they adjust to the NFL.

Our 1st round pick now provides no impact for 2011. We probably blow the 2nd round pick again, and we're likely looking at the top draft pick in 2012. And there awaits Andrew Luck who we could not pass on as our QB of the future and who would likely start day one.

What then of Newton or Gabbert? They would turn into yet another #1 draft pick with less than 1st round impact.

Just say no to a early round QB this year. :thumbsup:

that scenario has an even higher chance of happening if they play and stink (they being Newton/Gabbert/Ponder/whoever). Could be a Clausen like scenario. I dont think they start over Fitz, but if I am taking a QB at 3 I dont want him riding pine I want him starting from day 1. I dont see us draft 1 but top 5 for sure. I dont like this crop of QBs, just dont.

I guess we should consider future drafts but its too much to predict. On this class alone I wouldnt target any QB. Id be more inclined to swing a trade out of 3 and add 2012 picks than target a QB this year. The problem is this CBA deal though. worst. timing. ever.

Edited by Thoner7

All this is assuming the Bills completely tank next season. I thought we were pretty bad last season, and still the best we could do is the #3 pick in the draft. Forget about Andrew Luck. I agree, however, with you sentiment regarding the need to draft a QB early in this year's draft. I guess I just disagree with your logic.

So they pass on a QB, draft a player who has a bigger impact, they win an extra game or 2, continue to perpetually finish with between 6-8 wins due to not having a QB, and miss out on Newton, Gabbert and Luck.

you draft Luck....no question..... trade the other QB....now you have a true franchise QB.

There's no way this team can win fewer than 4 games this season.

Really?

We're picking 3rd this year because we are that bad.

We have the 2nd toughest 2011 schedule and we get no help from our 1st round pick if he's on the bench.

We may be in the running for that #1 pick in 2012. At this point it may be our best chance.

Am I optimistic about this team? Yes. But not in 2011 with a 1st round pick on the bench and an owner still a little tight with the $$$.

Edited by K-No

Gotta say the "we might get Luck next year" excuse is the weakest of all "why we should not Draft a QB" excuses...If you said that in front of Nix and Gailey they would laugh you out of the room...The Bills have NO intention of Drafting this high next year regardless of who they take...You just don't plan to be bad...It's stupid, weak, and for losers... B-)

There is a list a mile long of QB's who were considered by the masses to be the top QB prospect that year yet chose to go back to school for one more year and see their draft stock fall when they entered the draft the following year. So, just because Luck is highly touted now does not mean come draft time next year he is still going to be as highly touted as he is now. Here are a few notables, including one on our roster and one in this draft.

Matt Leinart - would have been first QB taken and likely top pick in the draft...ended up falling when he entered draft and saw VY chosen ahead of him.

Brian Brohm - would have been top 5, if not 1st overall, and certainly first QB off the board...fell to 2nd round the following year and was 3rd QB.

Jack Locker - Certain top 10 pick, maybe #1 overall, and most thought he would have been top QB last year on the board...will be no higher than 3rd QB taken, maybe even 6th or 7th QB off the board.

So, I know there is all this Luck hoopla, but no one knows how his season is going to go or if we will get hurt or not. So even if we do wind up with a pick high enough to get Luck next year, there is no certainty he will even be considered to go that high any more and present any kind of issue for us. Not to mention, it puts us in a great trading position which is what could really help this team in that scenario if Luck is still the top prospect.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Matt barkley is a very realistic option for #1 if he chooses to come out next year. Landry jones as well could end up being a top 10 pick. This doesn't include any come from nowhere players or proverbial 1 year wonders. It really isn't unrealistic that luck will not be the first qb taken, however planning for that and passing on someone they think is a franchise qb this year is more than a little bit assinine.

There is a list a mile long of QB's who were considered by the masses to be the top QB prospect that year yet chose to go back to school for one more year and see their draft stock fall when they entered the draft the following year. So, just because Luck is highly touted now does not mean come draft time next year he is still going to be as highly touted as he is now. Here are a few notables, including one on our roster and one in this draft.

Matt Leinart - would have been first QB taken and likely top pick in the draft...ended up falling when he entered draft and saw VY chosen ahead of him.

Brian Brohm - would have been top 5, if not 1st overall, and certainly first QB off the board...fell to 2nd round the following year and was 3rd QB.

Jack Locker - Certain top 10 pick, maybe #1 overall, and most thought he would have been top QB last year on the board...will be no higher than 3rd QB taken, maybe even 6th or 7th QB off the board.

So, I know there is all this Luck hoopla, but no one knows how his season is going to go or if we will get hurt or not. So even if we do wind up with a pick high enough to get Luck next year, there is no certainty he will even be considered to go that high any more and present any kind of issue for us. Not to mention, it puts us in a great trading position which is what could really help this team in that scenario if Luck is still the top prospect.

I agree, last year Locker and Ponder were both projected to go high if they declared for the draft they didn't...This time next year it will be interesting to see where Luck falls...asking him to repeat last years performance with a new HC, and to remain healthy for the entire season without hurting his chances of going 1st over all next year is highly unlikely. I don't understand the logic of wanting to go 0-16 this season just to guarantee we get luck next year.