Saints cut Jeremy Shockey

He's been solid down here. Not great but he's grown up some. He lives about 100 yards down the street from me so I get a lot of stories- still goes out more then you like to see (he's toned down some), not sure how he'd feel about a small market like buff (keep in mind - hes played at Miami, NY and new Orleans) but he's still a player on the field. Jimmy Graham is just real good, real cheap, and new Orleans has a TON of free agents.

He would be a helluva pickup. Shockey at this point in his career is less jackass than he was early on. He's a long way from the Randy Moss/Mike Vick d-baggery zip code. And let's face it, ANY TE would be better than what the Bills have.

Shockey is a player on the decline in almost every statistical category.

Sure, he's better than what we have now, but I'd pass. I agree we need to invest in this position either via draft or FA. I'd make a hard run at Marcedes Lewis, Zach Miller or Kevin Boss before Shockey.

Shockey has been very professional in N.O. Him being dropped has more to do with the production of Graham. Shockey would be a great pickup

Honestly, how he reacts to this will say a lot. He's very close to a lot of the vets and coaches. Has compared Sean Peyton to a family member. Really took to the community post katrina. The team asked him to tutor his replacement and he did it so well he's unemployed. If he is ok with this and still willing to be a vet that young guys can go to, he's VERY valuable. If he takes it as a slap in the face, and withdraws from teams - gets focused on himself instead of trusting the team it is trouble.

That all said- he is out cause Graham is GOOD and shockey would've been a back up. Too much money for a backup TE. It's not cause shockey can't play. He's a starter on all but about 10 teams I'd say without thinking too hard.

I also really like some of these new Orleans guys that have been around the rebuilding. I think it's humbled a lot of them and made them realize how important football can be to a community. I think it helped shockey grow up to be here.

Edited by NoSaint

Do you have a better suggestion as to what the Bills should do at TE before next season? Graham Harrell perhaps?

You mean other than drafting Lance Kendricks? No, I seriously think the Bills should sign Shockey - I'm good with that.

(Besides, we'd never be able to convince Harrell to leave the Superbowl champion Packers to come to Buffalo, or switch to TE for that matter!)

Buddy, Get 'er dunn

Ahhh...the first in a series of "Get er duns". I think we had "get er duns" on Matt Moore, Flozell Adams and Adalius Thomas last year.

I'm starting to think "get er dun" is a sign that a guy's career is over.

I am a K. Boss fan at this point, but who the heck knows how this bargaining is going to work out. If Shockey is available i still think he would be an upgrade and possibly with his exp a decent teacher. maybe not off field role model so much. But the super bowl Bills were described as being a little wild themselves on occasion. I would not offer the same money to Shockey as Boss as it seems most reports suggest he(JS) is slowing down, and maybe quickly?. But i bet he would be fun to watch if he could stay healthy for aseason or two with us.

I would like to have you folks consider not the weather or locale, but our future offensive potential and and how we looked this past year that might attract high dollar FA TE.

Just quickly i can imagine that we would be a team that an exp guy might come to. Not a guy who is hunting for a SB win anymore maybe. Wants to join a team on the rise and has new turf coming soon?

Low risk high reward IMO. Would love to see our Bills pick Shockey uP. Should not cost too much to sign em. What do u guys think?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/22/saints-cut-jeremy-shockey/

I'm not typically one of those "I've heard of him - let's sign him" guy. On the contrary. Usually they're expendable for a reason. But in this case, I think it would be a great move for the Bills to shore up the TE position with a talented and experienced TE like Shockey.

Nearly every championship team has something in common - a top tier tight end. Rarely does an NFL team succeed without one.

I wonder if Maybin (excuse me) WHEN Maybin gets cut, if some casual fan out there will say, "I've heard of him - let's sign him!" Nahhhhhh.

Just out of curiosity... Did the Giants and Saints both win the superbowl with him on the roster? Didn't he miss both superbowls with a injury or did he play in the saints win?

Caught a td in it. Capped a year the saints went 16-0 with him in the lineup, and 0-3 without him. Had like 50 catches, 600-700 yards and a handful of tds?

Just out of curiosity... Did the Giants and Saints both win the superbowl with him on the roster? Didn't he miss both superbowls with a injury or did he play in the saints win?

was about to ask the same ? ...mine was more about the often injured side of it...but that said i could see the bills going the T.o route with him ...1 year show me what you got

then we'll talk

I'm not typically one of those "I've heard of him - let's sign him" guy. On the contrary. Usually they're expendable for a reason. But in this case, I think it would be a great move for the Bills to shore up the TE position with a talented and experienced TE like Shockey.

Nearly every championship team has something in common - a top tier tight end. Rarely does an NFL team succeed without one.

I wonder if Maybin (excuse me) WHEN Maybin gets cut, if some casual fan out there will say, "I've heard of him - let's sign him!" Nahhhhhh.

Yeah, that they cut Shockey. Isn't it a red flag that good teams feel as if they are better off without him?

That is a crucial point> Blocking. Our TE will have to be good at it. Even moreso on what we do at RT.

He's a strong blocker- was actually the saints blocking TE much of the year, with a raw Jimmy Graham not able to. Very physical, likes to hit. Big part of the injury issue.

Yeah, that they cut Shockey. Isn't it a red flag that good teams feel as if they are better off without him?

Nope. Could be they have about 20 free agents and a top tier qb to resign. Might see a lot of people walk from the saints that are good. Pierre Thomas another example. As a backup he wasn't worth a multi mill deal. Jimmy Graham may be a top 5 tightend when all is said and done- kid is beastly.

Shockey is a player on the decline in almost every statistical category.

Sure, he's better than what we have now, but I'd pass. I agree we need to invest in this position either via draft or FA. I'd make a hard run at Marcedes Lewis, Zach Miller or Kevin Boss before Shockey.

I agree 100%. If we sign Sanders and Shockey, we'll be the new Redskins. I really don't want to bring in guys who are at the end of their careers. New England and Pittsburg sign player who are at the peak of their careers. This franchise has not done that since Polian. If we continue to not resign our own players, we'll always have holes to fill. Had we resigned Winfield we would not have had to draft Mckelvin and could have taken Joe Flacco or Ryan Clady. There are so many other examples that we all know. In order to rebuild, you have to keep key pieces in place. This franchise has always seemed to let the key pieces leave (Pat Williams, Jason Peters) but yet resign average players to ridiculous contracts (Chris Kelsay).

He's used up that's why Saints got rid of him. Taken a lot of punishment over his career and had that one really bad injury. Plus he would see Buffalo as beneath him.

No thanks :thumbdown:

We almost literally haven't had a tight end for a decade though. Why not bring him in? If he's washed up so what...and we might as well wait until he opens his notorious mouth about being above us before we start to resent him for it.

Edited by dayman

Well he sure adds to the deep FA TE market - but unlike the other guys, we can go out and get him NOW. In a perfect world he isnt the best option, but this is a far from perfect off season, and considering his last season #s (career lows) dwarf the career #s of all our TEs combined, why not.

I always loved Shockey too.

We almost literally haven't had a tight end for a decade though. Why not bring him in? If he's washed up so what...and we might as well wait until he opens his notorious mouth about being above us before we start to resent him for it.

Honestly, he isn't washed up. I don't know how many of you saw Jimmy graham last year but the kid is really good. Saints called him the steal of the draft repeatedly. Even though he had about 4 tds called back for away from the ball penalties he still put up really good numbers. Shockey didn't lose his job, this kid took it.

Shockey is still a player that can be explosive. Although Brees makes guys look good, I think shockey had to earn touches with 4 receivers, 2-3 tightends and 2-3 backs getting catches every week.

To the people saying he doesn't block - he got a ton of his snaps short yardage and was effective. Guy likes contact. Part of his problem with injuries.

As for the attitude... Yea he's still not a quiet homebody but he is matured. I think new orleans was a good stop for him. Between the team, the coaches and the city I think he grew up a lot. I say this from both interviews/play and personal experience as a neighbor that shares the same bars, restaurants etc... And have contact with people that contact him daily. As I said, my concern is will he feel betrayed possibly? If so will he work with a young guy? I think so, but from what I know, he previously had trust issues in that sense.

Also of concern - his seizure last offseason. Never heard a ton of details. Still curious.

When it comes down to it, we have about 10 spots to fill due to departing UFAs, or semi-urgent needed talent upgrades. If we get a handful filled with resigning our own, get 2-3 real players in the draft, with the rest depth, we still need a few of these guys to patch us over. We aren't filling every spot this year.

Now this might not be a top 5 or top 10 reason on the list but realistically.....I also believe in some synergy coming from signing a few value names. A guy like shockey has curb appeal to others. He has friends in the league. Kids grew up watching him when they were in highschool. Being on ESPN while players watch highlights isnt a bad thing either. Im not saying go "buy" that airtime, but it is something to consider. Getting a 30 sec clip instead of one clip on monday morning does help. Guys like shockey, merriman and sanders can command that attention if any of them work. A little hardware around the lockerroom doesnt suck either. Im all for a superbowl ring or two to show the young guys. A 2-3 year deal while we pursue other options in FA and the draft is not a bad thing. This isnt the redskins trading the farm or doling out the top 2-3 contracts when midnight hits. Good teams do this - see the saints with daren sharper and Malcolm Jenkins? Or shockey and Graham? Get a good value FA with some swagger left and find a replacement with a little less urgency. Also -'we could always get another UFA as shockey is not a huge contract.

Miller/boss/Daniels

Shockey

Nelson

Might not be impossible. And if shockey is still good working with a young gun like Nelson, maybe he could help him. Everything I've read is he was huge for Graham. We could probably pick up 2 UFA tes for less then some think one will cost- doesn't have to be either/or. Again like I said if sanders had to replace whitner - find a way to limit snaps and keep the older affordable vets fresh and hopefully explosive while we build the roster.I don't want a 10mill a year FA today. Not worth it where we are, but guys like this can be huge value. I know we talk about how they steal reps from young guys but when young guys are awful it's stealing meaningful reps from the other 10.

Edited by NoSaint