Donte's tweet.....

buffalo_bills

I thought that was interesting myself; unsure of how to take it. Then again, my mind has been full, trying to digest the Grammy's.

Whitner has the chance to succeed here in Buffalo and I think he can contribute to this team more then many realize. He is a popular person on these boards but I think he catches too much heat.

Donte needs to stop sounding like an over-emotional diva. Enough with the public "woe is me" about uncertainty surrounding your contract. MAN UP!! You're an NFL defender, for crying out loud! Act like it.

Pouting like a teenager waiting by the phone for a boy to call won't get you respect, Donte. Shut the F up and make a play!

In actuality, Whitner is considered one of the leaders on defense. the team.

Leader of a team with one of the worst defenses in the nfl for the last 6 years...(his whole career). He couldn't cover Steven Hawking. He enjoys spending time rolling around getting tased all over Cleveland when he is not getting trucked by Slammin Sammy Morris. We desperately need to resign this team "leader".

Edited by Brian Billick

"Well, we do have the coaching in Buffalo that it takes to win...and the talent. But will I be a part of the turnaround?"

Lets see, the Bills have gone from 7-9 in 2006, to 7-9 in 2007, to 7-9 in 2008 to 6-10 in 2009, to 4-12 in 2010. I would say maybe the turnaround will come once Super Safety Whitner is playing for someone else.

Donte needs to stop sounding like an over-emotional diva. Enough with the public "woe is me" about uncertainty surrounding your contract. MAN UP!! You're an NFL defender, for crying out loud! Act like it.

Pouting like a teenager waiting by the phone for a boy to call won't get you respect, Donte. Shut the F up and make a play!

:thumbsup:

I'd guess that Whitner's agent told him to stop being so stupid with his tweets. It's moronic for him to say anything bad about his contract with the Bills, he wants the Bills and every other team to bid on him so his price goes up, plus he doesn't want to show other teams that he can be a malcontent. He's clearly backtracking from his previous statements that he probably played his last game here (which he probably did anyway, it doesn't really matter). When free agency eventually starts, I'd bet he says he wants to come back to the Bills, but it will just be a ploy, and will be exactly what he should be doing and saying.

In actuality, Whitner is considered one of the leaders on defense. the team.

You think his teammates see him as a leader? Why on earth would they? He never shuts up and they see him get burned weekly. They saw him get benched in 2009.

If he is what pases for this team's leader, we are doomed until he's gone.

Seeing as how he cleared out his locker and left before the media even entered the locker room I'd say he's done in Buffalo despite the crap he's tweeting now. This guy took alot of heat but was a decent to good safety. Unfair expectations were placed when he was drafted so high. Blame Levy. Whitner prepared well and got the most out of his ability.

Leader of a team with one of the worst defenses in the nfl for the last 6 years...(his whole career). He couldn't cover Steven Hawking. He enjoys spending time rolling around getting tased all over Cleveland when he is not getting trucked by Slammin Sammy Morris. We desperately need to resign this team "leader".

:bag:

"Well, we do have the coaching in Buffalo that it takes to win...and the talent. But will I be a part of the turnaround?"

http://twitter.com/DonteWhitner

"80% chance of me returning to the BILLS???"

The first tweet is interesting. Who knows, maybe our time may be coming.

I'm tired of Whitner being a better tweeter then tackler or ball hawk as a former top 10 draft pick. Now that the Bills have hired Wanny, if Donte remains in Buffalo, we should finally find out just how good or average he really is.

Well at least if he resigns he will be resigned at or near market value for his talent. People should get off his a.. about being drafted too high which is something he had no control over.

So you think he doesn't think he was/is first round talent? You don't think he and his age won't mention this to his next team?

A silly argument, often repeated.

So you think he doesn't think he was/is first round talent? You don't think he and his age won't mention this to his next team?

A silly argument, often repeated.

It's not a silly argument at all, if in response to silly criticism. ;) People bring it up all the time.

As a #9 pick he is somewhat of a bust.

As a first round he would be considered decent.

If he were a middle rounder he would be considered really good.

As a late rounder or UDFA he would be considered a steal.

That has nothing to do with actual production on the field, obviously.

There is no way of knowing this, but I would bet if you polled all of the GMs around the league, a majority of them would rate Donte Whitner in the upper third of starting safeties in the NFL. He's not a great player by any means. He makes a lot of mistakes. He doesn't make enough big plays. He's not worth anywhere near top 5 money, or what he will be asking for.

But numerous teams are going to want him, bid for him, and seriously consider signing him after studying him closer than you or I possibly can. And they're going to offer him 6-7 million dollars a year.

It is amazing how many jerks are on this board. To criticize him is one thing - but tweeting him insults is low. The guy did nothing wrong, he is a professional athlete playing football. I wonder if you people criticize the kids at AutoBell when they mess up? Calling them out personally? I am not trying to defend Whitner but ask how people can be such a hater to the guy?

On the other hand, yes. Whitner is considered a leader on this team. His work ethic is said to be as good as anyone elses, his early to rise and get to work motto is valued, he spends a great deal of time with film and studying.

Maybe no one will be happy until he is run out of town and signs with another team to find success? Then everyone can whine about how our coaches never saw how great he was. Also, do you not think other players take notice? There is no way many of them don't see how he is treated, and it is sad.

I replied to his "80% chance" tweet with:

Well, atleast there's a 20% chance the Bills make the right move.

I'm sorry to hear you did this.

Maybe no one will be happy until he is run out of town and signs with another team to find success? Then everyone can whine about how our coaches never saw how great he was. Also, do you not think other players take notice? There is no way many of them don't see how he is treated, and it is sad.

That won't happen. I've seen it for decades with the Bills and the Sabres.

Those "fans" who like to make personal attacks on athletes will simply identify and commence attacks on the next player they deem worthy of their hatred.

Is there any deeper meaning behind your avatar or is it just another reminder of how much we sucked this year?

No, I was raked over the coals for saying that this pass, which resulted in a palomalu INT at the goal line, was actualyl Fitzpatricks fault, and not Steve Johnson's. No one seemed to be able to grasp the idea of ball placement. My avatar is there to remind everyone, and because I haven't found a better one yet.

It is amazing how many jerks are on this board. To criticize him is one thing - but tweeting him insults is low. The guy did nothing wrong, he is a professional athlete playing football. I wonder if you people criticize the kids at AutoBell when they mess up? Calling them out personally? I am not trying to defend Whitner but ask how people can be such a hater to the guy?

On the other hand, yes. Whitner is considered a leader on this team. His work ethic is said to be as good as anyone elses, his early to rise and get to work motto is valued, he spends a great deal of time with film and studying.

People don't shell out thousands of dollars to watch the kids at AutoBell work. I can't speak for everyone else, but i am tired of waiting for the tweoples champ to show up on Sundays. Donte Whitner appears to be the type of person I can't stand in life, and that is someone who doesn't understand their own good fortune. He talks like a Porsche but corners like a Saturn.

First of all, y are ppl on the board jerks for their opionions? Second, no need to call anyone out their name.

Now, the problem I have with DW is him not being professional and simply acting like I b*tch! I say that because he needs to man up. If he had of played worth the money he is asking for, it wouldn't be an issue. He needs to stop tweeting and look at himself.

There's a reason the negotiation numbers were completely different. And that's the very "reason" he needs to man up.

Edited by qdawg in philly

People don't shell out thousands of dollars to watch the kids at AutoBell work. I can't speak for everyone else, but i am tired of waiting for the tweoples champ to show up on Sundays. Donte Whitner appears to be the type of person I can't stand in life, and that is someone who doesn't understand their own good fortune. He talks like a Porsche but corners like a Saturn.

If you were being forced to shell out thousands of your dollars to watch the kids at Ralph Wilson Stadium (or Autobell, or anywhere) then I would understand your frustration. You might not like Donte Whitner's persona but chances are you actually do not know him. Granted, you can watch him play, see him on television, etc, but you do not know the man. He may be a public figure, which gives him the right to be criticized; but, just because you have a right doesn't mean it is something you have to do.

First of all, y are ppl on the board jerks for their opionions? Second, no need to call anyone out their name.

Now, the problem I have with DW is him not being professional and simply acting like I b*tch! I say that because he needs to man up. If he had of played worth the money he is asking for, it wouldn't be an issue. He needs to stop tweeting and look at himself.

There's a reason the negotiation numbers were completely different. And that's the very "reason" he needs to man up.

I don't call people out by name, I only think it is wrong to twitter an athlete or someone you do not know personally to insult them. What good comes of it? Writing your opinion on an internet message board is one thing, especially when it holds merit. Involving yourself in someone elses life to spread negativity is another. It just doesn't make sense, why not just say to yourself, well, I hope he goes on to another team?

So, DW is not professional? What do you do for a living? Can I watch you for 4 hours a week at your job, have reporters follow you other times and mock you for everything I see you doing that is "unprofessional" or acting like a "b*tch?" I know there are several times of the day or week I act "unprofessional" and act like a "b*tch," and I would probably get pretty annoyed for someone to point those times out all the time. He is a better man then I to cast aside those comments and remain upbeat. Why is it his fault he had an agent earn as much money as he possibly could and plays in a league where draft position equates to more money? He should always want the best money he can get, and I do not blame him. If my job paid me $400,000 last year and I performed at expectation I would expect no less then $400,000 next year. I suppose everyone else would, too. Then again, we can't all "man up."

Maybe we all, as a collective group of humans, need to stop giving our opinions and look at our own selves. For the record, do you actually know how often Donte tweets? Have you taken time to read his tweets? Whitner vs. Stevie J...who sounds more like an pompous a-hole? If you'd like, go look at a few of the other Bills players, it's a sad thought that they attended college with the grammar and spelling the provide.

Edited by jboyst62

Whitner was a #8, and as such he was a complete bust. How many games did he dominate and win for the Buffalo Bills?

Not sure what you mean by "first round," but he is a safety who can't make plays against the pass and is ineffective against the run until massive yardage is given up. At that point, he made some good hits after the damage was done.

Given the needs of the Bills, the depth of this tremendous draft, AND the numerous trade down offers (stated by Levy on SIRIUS), Whitner was one of the worst draft picks in the history of this franchise.

Every now and then a Levy apologist will defend the pick, but it sucked. And, it set the franchise back almost as much as drafting Mike Williams.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Whitner was a #8, and as such he was a complete bust. How many games did he dominate and win for the Buffalo Bills?

Not sure what you mean by "first round," but he is a safety who can't make plays against the pass and is ineffective against the run until massive yardage is given up. At that point, he made some good hits after the damage was done.

Given the needs of the Bills, the depth of this tremendous draft, AND the numerous trade down offers (stated by Levy on SIRIUS), Whitner was one of the worst draft picks in the history of this franchise.

Every now and then a Levy apologist will defend the pick, but it sucked. And, it set the franchise back almost as much as drafting Mike Williams.

How much you wanna bet some team pays him a ton of money, and others teams want him too? And they would have watched a ton of tape on him and spoke it over with their scouts and coaches and dissected his play more than you or I.

I guarantee you all of the Bills coaches he has played for think he was one of their very best players. They have all come out and said it.

I personally think he's pretty good. He doesn't make enough game changing plays. He takes bad angles and get beat in coverage a little too much. He misses too many tackles when he charges. But he does a lot of things well. He made a ton of tough important stops in the run game last year. He hits hard. He tries like hell. They ask him to do a lot. He makes a ton of tackles (and you can't really blame him for most of his tackles 5-10 yards down the field, safeties shouldn't be making your tackles on run downs, linemen and linebackers should.)

At #8 he should be a much better player. But some team is going to pay him way more this year than the #8 player is the draft makes, so what does that tell you?

How much you wanna bet some team pays him a ton of money, and others teams want him too? And they would have watched a ton of tape on him and spoke it over with their scouts and coaches and dissected his play more than you or I.

I guarantee you all of the Bills coaches he has played for think he was one of their very best players. They have all come out and said it.

I personally think he's pretty good. He doesn't make enough game changing plays. He takes bad angles and get beat in coverage a little too much. He misses too many tackles when he charges. But he does a lot of things well. He made a ton of tough important stops in the run game last year. He hits hard. He tries like hell. They ask him to do a lot. He makes a ton of tackles (and you can't really blame him for most of his tackles 5-10 yards down the field, safeties shouldn't be making your tackles on run downs, linemen and linebackers should.)

At #8 he should be a much better player. But some team is going to pay him way more this year than the #8 player is the draft makes, so what does that tell you?

I agree with you. The Bills could no doubt have picked a more impact player in that draft position, but that is water under the bridge. The only question now is are they a better team with him or without him? I think they are far better off with him, but if he hits free agency someone will overpay and he will be gone. Whitner will be in demand. Then we will be trying to find a replacement instead of focusing on another position of need.

As big a mistake as it was to draft him, it will be a far greater one to let him go and give the team an excuse to draft another DB in the first two days.

They should only let him hit the market if his asking price is in franchise territory and/or they feel that Wilson, Scott, Byrd and maybe a FA / 4th rd pickup can do the job.

As big a mistake as it was to draft him, it will be a far greater one to let him go and give the team an excuse to draft another DB in the first two days.

They should only let him hit the market if his asking price is in franchise territory and/or they feel that Wilson, Scott, Byrd and maybe a FA / 4th rd pickup can do the job.

I just dont want to lose him and have to fill another hole. We have alot on the defense as it is and like him or not we could do worse than whitner

In a post above, KTFBD asserts that Whitner will receive a contract for approx. 28 million over 5 years, with much of it guaranteed. I strongly disagree but we will see what happens.

Whitner cannot cover tight ends. They destroy him, and he doesn't intercept passes. Most of those who support Whitner are Levy apologists. They have a soft spot in their hearts for good ol'Marv and I can understand this. That said, Whitner does not win games for this team. He has not contributed one thing that wouldn't be expected of a decent 4th round pick.

Donte Whitner is a caricature of what is wrong with this team and we need to be exorcised from him imo.

If you were being forced to shell out thousands of your dollars to watch the kids at Ralph Wilson Stadium (or Autobell, or anywhere) then I would understand your frustration. You might not like Donte Whitner's persona but chances are you actually do not know him. Granted, you can watch him play, see him on television, etc, but you do not know the man. He may be a public figure, which gives him the right to be criticized; but, just because you have a right doesn't mean it is something you have to do.

I don't call people out by name, I only think it is wrong to twitter an athlete or someone you do not know personally to insult them. What good comes of it? Writing your opinion on an internet message board is one thing, especially when it holds merit. Involving yourself in someone elses life to spread negativity is another. It just doesn't make sense, why not just say to yourself, well, I hope he goes on to another team?

So, DW is not professional? What do you do for a living? Can I watch you for 4 hours a week at your job, have reporters follow you other times and mock you for everything I see you doing that is "unprofessional" or acting like a "b*tch?" I know there are several times of the day or week I act "unprofessional" and act like a "b*tch," and I would probably get pretty annoyed for someone to point those times out all the time. He is a better man then I to cast aside those comments and remain upbeat. Why is it his fault he had an agent earn as much money as he possibly could and plays in a league where draft position equates to more money? He should always want the best money he can get, and I do not blame him. If my job paid me $400,000 last year and I performed at expectation I would expect no less then $400,000 next year. I suppose everyone else would, too. Then again, we can't all "man up."

Maybe we all, as a collective group of humans, need to stop giving our opinions and look at our own selves. For the record, do you actually know how often Donte tweets? Have you taken time to read his tweets? Whitner vs. Stevie J...who sounds more like an pompous a-hole? If you'd like, go look at a few of the other Bills players, it's a sad thought that they attended college with the grammar and spelling the provide.

So y can't a man "man up" ? He didn't perfome well enough to receive the money he's asking for! He needs to man up on that! But I see your point bout the board and twitter. And what I do is of no concern! But I will tell u this, I'm always professional and I know my job inside and out. As for acting like a b*tch, I don't! That's not in my character. If u do like u stated, then you just "maned up". And that's how simple it is to do. And wth do u do for a living?

This isn't about comparing tweets, but he tweeted something not to long ago to the fan base! Something about be careful what u ask for. Tell me that's professional. Bottom line, he did not perform well enough for the money he's asking! And if I told you what I did for a living I would have to kill u! LOL

Edited by qdawg in philly

It's not a silly argument at all, if in response to silly criticism. ;) People bring it up all the time.

If he were a middle rounder he would be considered really good.

As a late rounder or UDFA he would be considered a steal.

That has nothing to do with actual production on the field, obviously.

There is no way of knowing this, but I would bet if you polled all of the GMs around the league, a majority of them would rate Donte Whitner in the upper third of starting safeties in the NFL. He's not a great player by any means. He makes a lot of mistakes. He doesn't make enough big plays. He's not worth anywhere near top 5 money, or what he will be asking for.

But numerous teams are going to want him, bid for him, and seriously consider signing him after studying him closer than you or I possibly can. And they're going to offer him 6-7 million dollars a year.

He hasn't been a decent first round pick.

Not hardly. He'd be a disappointment if he were the LAST pick of round one. ANY first round safety needs to be a difference maker.

A decent starter? Yeah, as maybe the 9th or 10th best player on a defense....yeah he'd be fine. As the self-annointed, playoff-predicting leader and first pick of a new regime? Hell no.

I just don't see anyone getting up off $6-$7M per to sign an undersized strong safety that doesn't make plays. It only takes one team to make the mistake, but most teams know you can find safeties and RB's anywhere in the draft so there really is no reason to overpay for anything less than greatness at those spots in FA.

He hasn't been a decent first round pick.

Not hardly. He'd be a disappointment if he were the LAST pick of round one. ANY first round safety needs to be a difference maker.

A decent starter? Yeah, as maybe the 9th or 10th best player on a defense....yeah he'd be fine. As the self-annointed, playoff-predicting leader and first pick of a new regime? Hell no.

I just don't see anyone getting up off $6-$7M per to sign an undersized strong safety that doesn't make plays. It only takes one team to make the mistake, but most teams know you can find safeties and RB's anywhere in the draft so there really is no reason to overpay for anything less than greatness at those spots in FA.

amen