Carucci: Bills GM Nix likes Cam Newton "a great deal"

Marshmallow

Yep. And they thought Williams could be a 3-4NT. As good a player as KW is, he's not a fit in that defense and never will be. If they move back to a predominantly 4-3, they have no clue what they're doing. They can say all they want that it's a hybrid, but in this case it's because they don't have personnel for either scheme.

They don't but now they have much better players and potential for the 3-4 than 4-3, especially Moats and Merriman, Troupe, Carrington and Edwards. They're very likely going to be exactly what they said they would be, a hybrid, until they get the players for the 3-4. If, say, they sign a guy like Solari in FA, it will go a lot quicker. If they draft a DL at #3, what that player plays best will also be a factor. Chances are, you will see FA and draft picks better suited to the 3-4 though.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't but now they have much better players and potential for the 3-4 than 4-3, especially Moats and Merriman, Troupe, Carrington and Edwards. They're very likely going to be exactly what they said they would be, a hybrid, until they get the players for the 3-4. If, say, they sign a guy like Solari in FA, it will go a lot quicker. If they draft a DL at #3, what that player plays best will also be a factor. Chances are, you will see FA and draft picks better suited to the 3-4 though.

pretty much every team that has ever switched over has gone through the same struggles. its silly to say they are clueless, as i think they knew there would be growing pains until we got the right personnel. the only move that confuses me is the kelsay signing, but otherwise, i think it all makes sense. and for all i know, the kelsay deal has an easy out written into it this offseason or next.

pretty much every team that has ever switched over has gone through the same struggles. its silly to say they are clueless, as i think they knew there would be growing pains until we got the right personnel. the only move that confuses me is the kelsay signing, but otherwise, i think it all makes sense. and for all i know, the kelsay deal has an easy out written into it this offseason or next.

Exactly.

As I am unimpressed with any position player at #3 in the draft, I am not at all averse to the Bills taking

a QB.

Think about it; what is newton's upside?

Sure, he could be Jamarcus Russell, but he could - from what I've seen - be a much better Donavan McNabb, and I've seen people on this board wanting to spend first round picks on McNabb for the last ten years or so. Newton could be a McNabb, a Vick, a better Randall Cunningham, a Steve Young without the brains but better size, a guy that Belichick and fatso in NY just might have problems defending.

Sure, it would take him a few years, but in the meantime all the Fitz-lovers would be happy anyway.

People would still btch that we didn't pick some DT or LB instead. Why? Newton could be THE ANSWER

and to me that's worth a shot.

two words to describe Bills interest in Cam...

Smoke screen :)

i guess i dont get what for though?

so no one trades up to #2 to get dareus?

im pretty sure with the way the draft is sitting, they could publish there top 5 online and it wouldnt change anything unless they were serious about cam and then someone might go after the #2 pick. i dont think you trade the house to get ahead of us to get a corner or wr or dareus, and we arent in line for fairley.....

I bet you they love 5-10 guys by the time they get done watching film on them. That doesn't mean they're going to draft them. They probably love Fairley, Bowers, Peterson, Green and Dareus, too.

Plus maybe they are playing cards close to vest and putting out all of the We want xxxx so they can play folks off each other for moving down. Chan likes Fitz and realizes we need to fix the D and OL lets follow the lead of Rams fix the lines etc than we can draft that wonderful QB everyone wants.

Plus maybe they are playing cards close to vest and putting out all of the We want xxxx so they can play folks off each other for moving down. Chan likes Fitz and realizes we need to fix the D and OL lets follow the lead of Rams fix the lines etc than we can draft that wonderful QB everyone wants.

but if we like cam, people dont come to us with trades, they go to denver and carolina. if we liked him i dont think we trade back and give him to someone without quite a kings ransom and i think that any reasonable person sees through that game.

plus i dont think its near far enough in the game for those games to be serious.

like i said, im pretty sure they could take a picture of their draft board and post it on this website and short of cam being number one on it, it effects nothing. no one is trading up to 1 or 2 for anyone else that we could legit take at 3. even with cam there it would be tough to trade up like that because of cba issues, and just the fact that trades almost never happen up there.

Edited by NoSaint

two words to describe Bills interest in Cam...

Smoke screen :)

Definitely. My one big hope for the Bills in regard to the draft is that I hope like every thing that they not only lie to me but are incredibly successful in lying to me.

If a person is interested in this sport because they are interested in whether Mel Kiper is right or not then what they require from the Bills is truth.

However, if what they are interested in is the fate of the Buffalo Bills they should want the Bills to not only lie about their draft plans but lie incredibly well.

We saw an example of this when some blog vehicle like Pro Football Weakly was whining about Gailey emphasizing ST walk throughs at the Senior Bowl rather than taking the route used by Marvin Lewis with the North squad of hard hitting position position practices.

Not only is this view wrongheaded in terms of actually showing the players learn and pursue the area, ST play which will actually determine whether these players contribute to the teams which draft them (the reality is a huge chunk of even the first rounders will not even be starters for the team which drafted them after a full season of play. This view shows an lack of football knowledge as in fact most of the Senior Bowl players desperately appreciate getting to walk through NFL level ST drills before they actually get drafted and have to prove themselves in pre-season.

Even better, it is great for the Seniors to avoid injury just before the draft which might cost them millions if a Senior Bowl practice or game injury slows them down at the Combine.

I am more than happy if in order to fool our competitors the Bills also fool their fans as to their draft plans.

From Rotoworld:

Bills GM Buddy Nix likes Auburn QB Cam Newton "a great deal," according to NFL.com's Vic Carucci.

"The Bills might very well be inclined to take him in the No. 3 slot," adds Carucci. "I think QB will be prominently on the Bills' radar." Coach Chan Gailey has publicly supported Ryan Fitzpatrick as the 2011 starter, but he's more of a bridge to the future than a legit solution. ESPN's Trent Dilfer predicted Thursday that Newton wouldn't last past the third pick in the draft.

Original NFL Source

If Newton can show he's a reasonably bright guy at the combine interviews he's going to be picked very high because he has everything else, if he comes off as kinda dumb then he might last into the 20s.

My issue with Buffalo the past 5 seasons has been a reliance on unproven players. It seems like every year they need 2-3 guys on either side of the ball to play well and it just doesn't happen. Astute observers know a player's improvement is greatest between years 1 and 2, if it happens at all. So, depending on 2nd year players to form the basis of your defense is all they have because they rebuild every 3-4 seasons. It's not a model for success.

KFBD, you and I both know this team will sign 2-3 low to mid tier UFA's, then proclaim it a busy off-season. Soliai either never leaves Miami or gets snapped up by a team needing a 3-4NT like HOU or KC. Buffalo doesn't get in bidding wars, so they'll be hyping Troup and Carrington ad nauseam. I'd be happy if one of them is a reliable starter in a 3-4. That is, if they go with the 3-4 like ole Buddy says unequivocally. Besides, Buddy doesn't have the budget to be awake when UFA begins.

I feel like Gailey will be able to use Newton in the offense this year alot, even with Fitz obviously getting most of the snaps. We'll be able to throw a ton of different looks at defenses each week, especially with newton and spiller in the back field. We would have to the two most dangerous scoring threats from college in the past two years.

If Carucci says it, you can pretty much bet the farm it ain't happening.

Vic is great at reporting the news out of One Bills Drive after events occur (i.e. the T.O. signing or Jauron's firing), but every time he mentions who he expects Buffalo to draft, he's completely wrong (i.e. we're trading up for A.J. Hawk or Michael Huff in 2006, the team loves CB Leon Hall in 2007, etc.).

Yeah, but looking at those drafts, we got players who played those same posistions...Huff went and we took Whitner as a surprise...we loved Hall but took McKelvin...so quite maybe our interest was in the player and the position and he was right about that, but the draft just didnt work out to get the specific player as they went before our pick but still took the next best prospect at that position on our board. At number 3, Cam most likely will be there, so if our interest (which statements from our coach and FO indicated so) are in a QB of the future, there is quite the possiblity Cam will be a Bill next year.

I already said I expect us to take Cam as well, not that I think we should (I wont be mad if we do, but I am also not sold on the pick yet), but I feel like he is going to be the pick and have for a while. Him of Gabbert if Gabbert really impresses at the combine. Personally I am in more favor of going D in the first and a QB in the 2nd.

Yeah, but looking at those drafts, we got players who played those same posistions...Huff went and we took Whitner as a surprise...we loved Hall but took McKelvin...so quite maybe our interest was in the player and the position and he was right about that, but the draft just didnt work out to get the specific player as they went before our pick but still took the next best prospect at that position on our board. At number 3, Cam most likely will be there, so if our interest (which statements from our coach and FO indicated so) are in a QB of the future, there is quite the possiblity Cam will be a Bill next year.

I already said I expect us to take Cam as well, not that I think we should (I wont be mad if we do, but I am also not sold on the pick yet), but I feel like he is going to be the pick and have for a while. Him of Gabbert if Gabbert really impresses at the combine. Personally I am in more favor of going D in the first and a QB in the 2nd.

The Bills picked Marshawn Lynch in 2007; Leon Hall was drafted 6 picks later by the Bengals.

That factoid aside, I don't believe they'll pick Newton. Buddy seems like he's going to draft the guy that he thinks will be the best football player, and my (only semi-educated) guess is that it won't be a QB at 3.

Great.

And with the 7th overall pick in the 2012 NFL Drafts, the Buffalo Bills select *.

:cry:

Right...Because no matter who we pick at #3, as long as it's not Newton or Gabbert, it's going to make us SO much better...Cause we're only a Player or two away from the Playoffs after all... :lol:

Gailey and Nix have already told us they are picking with an eye to the future...And it's funny how some Bills Fans just choose to ignore those comments... B-)

Mayocks take on Cam's workout:

I really didn't need to see the workout, nor do I need to hear about the workout because I can tell you what that workout entails. I've watched five of his game tapes, he's got a classic over-hand delivery, he's got a big arm. You and I in gym shorts at the local high school can throw pretty accurately, so I would guarantee you he would look great in a pair of gym shorts, he would throw with accuracy and arm strength. His mechanics are very good but I would also [offer] one cautionary note, and that is the best pro day for a quarterback I ever attended was JaMarcus Russell(notes). That same day, even though I admitted it was the best pro day I ever saw, I also said I wouldn't take him in the first round. For me, it's not about him throwing in shorts; it's about a lot of other things.

A choreographed day like today is fine, but the NFL is not really even allowed to be there so they're looking at the clips, the same that you and I are. They want to see him throw the ball at the Combine with the other quarterbacks, and then they want to see him at the Auburn pro day. And even then, that's really not going to tell the tale because he's going to throw the football beautifully in those controlled environments. To me, there are two issues with this kid. Issue number one is he came out of a shotgun [formation], and if you watch the tape it's basically a very simple offense. One read and either the ball was out or he was out. Can he adapt to, can he process and assimilate a very structured and complex pro offense against a complex pro defense? And secondly, and most importantly, when you get to a certain skill level in the NFL, which this kid certainly has, at the quarterback position what kind of kid is he? Is he going to be the first guy in the building? Is he a gym rat? Is he football smart? Is he a leader of men? All of those things to me are way more important than any workout in shorts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Newton-s-media-workout-was-more-sizzle-than-stea;_ylt=AqTMI77J1e4QUhkhglS8mjhDubYF?urn=nfl-320101

I've said it before but here goes again.

I think Cameron Newton is stupid.

I think he will probably fail in the NFL.

And yet, if the Bills draft him at #3, I won't be upset because of his tremendous upside.

I like it when a team is aggressive and goes for the gold instead of the bronze.

The Bills are at a point where they have to be careful which set of tracks they want to set their train on.

The farthest destination the Ryan Fitzpatrick tracks will go is 10-6 and a wild card birth. Some may disagree but that's how I feel about him. It will be a safe and smooth ride with him, though.

The Cameron Newton train tracks has a destination of Super Bowl champion but with a caveat that the train could derail at any point and kill everyone on board.

So what do we choose?

Personally, I like to live dangerously. Go for the gold.

I've said it before but here goes again.

I think Cameron Newton is stupid.

I think he will probably fail in the NFL.

And yet, if the Bills draft him at #3, I won't be upset because of his tremendous upside.

I like it when a team is aggressive and goes for the gold instead of the bronze.

The Bills are at a point where they have to be careful which set of tracks they want to set their train on.

The farthest destination the Ryan Fitzpatrick tracks will go is 10-6 and a wild card birth. Some may disagree but that's how I feel about him. It will be a safe and smooth ride with him, though.

The Cameron Newton train tracks has a destination of Super Bowl champion but with a caveat that the train could derail at any point and kill everyone on board.

So what do we choose?

Personally, I like to live dangerously. Go for the gold.

You killed the Comedian.

...I just think it's always important not to let that fact go.

:D

It seems the most glaring need of the Bills is along the D line. IMO.

Draft one of the stud DTs or DEs coming out, and solidify the D line for the next

ten years or so.

Or trade down?

some of you guys still dont get it. both Fairly(who i like) and bowers were nobody's last year like maybin.

there is great concern that they may also be one year wonders especially bowers.

after fairley there is no great player of need for the bills in @ least the top 5 other than CB in peterson and he may also be over rated as a corner due to his return abilities which the bills dont need.

like i have been saying this is a horrible year to be in the top 5 due to the total lack of super blue chip prospects and even worse is the fact that none of the positions of need for the bills,DL (except for fairly who will be long gone),OL or LB have any super star quality players worthy of being a top 5 pick.

so what do the bills do? you got me but if they like Newton or any of the QB's then taking them @ 3 would not be a reach seeing that after fairley is gone unless you want a CB or a WR we are missing out on nobody.

my preference if Nix does not want a QB @ 3 is to trade down to the 5 thru 10 slots and pick up additional picks grab the best defensive player they deem available and then use the additional picks to get back into the later part of the first round to get their QB of the future.

believe me anyone who believes Galieys line about liking Fitz is a fool. he may like him for another year @ the most but you can bet your last dollar that he knows his main need is a franchise QB.

like pat kirwin said to the buffalo fan who called into his show "did you watch the super bowl ?" "believe me Galiey and Nix know that the bills need a franchise QB and they will get one in this draft if they feel one is there they like even @ 3"

Edited by djrocks

some of you guys still dont get it. both Fairly(who i like) and bowers were nobody's last year like maybin.

there is great concern that they may also be one year wonders especially bowers.

after fairley there is no great player of need for the bills in @ least the top 5 other than CB in peterson and he may also be over rated as a corner due to his return abilities which the bills dont need.

like i have been saying this is a horrible year to be in the top 5 due to the total lack of super blue chip prospects and even worse is the fact that none of the positions of need for the bills,DL (except for fairly who will be long gone),OL or LB have any super star quality players worthy of being a top 5 pick.

so what do the bills do? you got me but if they like Newton or any of the QB's then taking them @ 3 would not be a reach seeing that after fairley is gone unless you want a CB or a WR we are missing out on nobody.

my preference if Nix does not want a QB @ 3 is to trade down to the 5 thru 10 slots and pick up additional picks grab the best defensive player they deem available and then use the additional picks to get back into the later part of the first round to get their QB of the future.

believe me anyone who believes Galieys line about liking Fitz is a fool. he may like him for another year @ the most but you can bet your last dollar that he knows his main need is a franchise QB.

like pat kirwin said to the buffalo fan who called into his show "did you watch the super bowl ?" "believe me Galiey and Nix know that the bills need a franchise QB and they will get one in this draft if they feel one is there they like even @ 3"

Your post makes a ton of sense but as a Bills fan, I cringe at your screen name.

===============================================

Why do you completely dismiss Dareus? He was solid last year, he had a GREAT year this year and regularly dominated in the toughest Conference in NCAA football. He can play all of the DL positions, and play them well. He would be a great outside DE in the 3-4 and would allow our DLine to look like:

[Merriman at Rush OLB] - Williams(Edwards) - Troup(FA/Rookie NT) - Dareus(Carrington)

That looks like a pretty solid front, assuming Merriman can stay healthy, which for this discussion I am.

Other than that, I completely agree with the rest of your post from the ==== down.

Edited by DrDankenstein

If u guys think Fitz is the man your crazy. Fitz is a good quality back-up. Cam newton has raw talent and has a chance to be a elite QB in the NFL. I know every Bills fan has been waiting for a good QB for years ever since the great JIM KELLY. I'd rather have Bill's find out instead of another team and have all of us Bill's fan saying DAMN we had a chance to get him.

From Rotoworld:

Bills GM Buddy Nix likes Auburn QB Cam Newton "a great deal," according to NFL.com's Vic Carucci.

"The Bills might very well be inclined to take him in the No. 3 slot," adds Carucci. "I think QB will be prominently on the Bills' radar." Coach Chan Gailey has publicly supported Ryan Fitzpatrick as the 2011 starter, but he's more of a bridge to the future than a legit solution. ESPN's Trent Dilfer predicted Thursday that Newton wouldn't last past the third pick in the draft.

Original NFL Source

that means it wont happen. carucci is consistently wrong about all things buffalo. when he says left the bills go right.

no to cam at 3!

The Bills don't need to hit on their top pick. They don't need to hit on their second pick; they need to hit on a bunch of picks. Three or four would be nice. In the past ten years, it averaged about 1.8, not counting last year. 00-0, 01-0, 02-0, 03-1, 04-1, 05-1. 06-5, 07-1, 08-3, 09-6, and in 2010-8, but it is too early to tell this last draft, and only one impact player is on the roster, Kyle Williams. Come on, Buffalo, find some real players.

There is also zero chance that Nix or Gailey or Modrak form ANY kind of binding opinion on ANY player until after the combine, wonderlic, background checks, pro workouts they attend, extensive personal interviews and very likely a visit to One Bills Drive.

This, and the fact that making noise about drafting a QB at 3 increases the likelihood of a trade, not only with us, but with Denver.

without reading the previous posts:

that scenario is exatctly what i was thinking after checking the talk on cams workout on a few sides..........

talk him up so the bills bite.......

ototh, last year buddy claimed that other than bradford there was no qb better than already on the roster. and imho that still holds true for this years draft.....

so here is hope that despite buddys SEC love and the awards for cam aso hell see that a trade down - with some serious picks thrown into - is the best chance to improve the team LONG TERM

but what do i know ^^

Right...Because no matter who we pick at #3, as long as it's not Newton or Gabbert, it's going to make us SO much better...Cause we're only a Player or two away from the Playoffs after all... :lol:

Gailey and Nix have already told us they are picking with an eye to the future...And it's funny how some Bills Fans just choose to ignore those comments... B-)

The future. Well the first year of the future they took a 6-10 team and turned it into

a 4-12 team. What have these guys shown as so far? Not much.

If there isn't a top 5 player they want, then trade down. If they don't get fair value, so

what. The Bills have so many holes, they just need Pro level bodies out there. I say start with the D-line which they seem to have screwed up so bad.

From Rotoworld:

Original NFL Source

I am with Buddy Nix on this and if Newton checks out at the combine and after interviews he will be a top 5 pick. Newton could go overall number one. Does that mean that the Bills should draft him if he is available at 3? Not necessarily, what could they get for the pick? what if someone else wants him bad? Cam Newton's rise up the board is nothing but great news for the Bills.

Newton is a supremely gifted football player. He will not have any problem with the physical aspect of the pro transition. Not worried at all about his drops, not worried at all about his throwing motion, Strength or accuracy. Not worried about his leadership either. Newton is such a good athlete that he will learn it all if his is motivated to do so.

The only questions on Newton should be:

1. Motivation, will the big bucks spoil him?

2. can he read defenses and react to the speed of the pro game? This is an issue for every QB out of college including Andrew Luck. It is not something you can measure with the wonderlic or any other known test either.

3. Is his coachable? I think his work up through media day has at least partially answered this in the affirmative.

If they want Newton they need to spend some time with him. If they are satisfied after that then go do it.