Carucci: Bills GM Nix likes Cam Newton "a great deal"

Marshmallow

From Rotoworld:

Bills GM Buddy Nix likes Auburn QB Cam Newton "a great deal," according to NFL.com's Vic Carucci.

"The Bills might very well be inclined to take him in the No. 3 slot," adds Carucci. "I think QB will be prominently on the Bills' radar." Coach Chan Gailey has publicly supported Ryan Fitzpatrick as the 2011 starter, but he's more of a bridge to the future than a legit solution. ESPN's Trent Dilfer predicted Thursday that Newton wouldn't last past the third pick in the draft.

Original NFL Source

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great.

And with the 7th overall pick in the 2012 NFL Drafts, the Buffalo Bills select *.

:cry:

We can load other positions but without a qb, it's going to be a long string of 7-15 picks. Are you implying that a draft of cam, and a lot of defense will produce a lot fewer wins this year? Will dareus somehow vault us into January play? See pretty much every team drafting in the top 5..... Either through free agency or that pick they get a qb or they stay there

We can load other positions but without a qb, it's going to be a long string of 7-15 picks. Are you implying that a draft of cam, and a lot of defense will produce a lot fewer wins this year? Will dareus somehow vault us into January play? See pretty much every team drafting in the top 5..... Either through free agency or that pick they get a qb or they stay there

Great, get a QB, just don't take a flyer with the 3rd overall pick on a 1 year college QB.

If Carucci says it, you can pretty much bet the farm it ain't happening.

Vic is great at reporting the news out of One Bills Drive after events occur (i.e. the T.O. signing or Jauron's firing), but every time he mentions who he expects Buffalo to draft, he's completely wrong (i.e. we're trading up for A.J. Hawk or Michael Huff in 2006, the team loves CB Leon Hall in 2007, etc.).

just like they did last year when they said how much they liked Spiller how Chan wanted a 'waterbug" RB. They really fooled everyone with their trickery and misinformation.

There's a difference between the coach being quoted as saying he wants a waterbug RB versus a reporter saying how much they like a specific player.

If Chan or Buddy were quoted as saying they love Newton, I'd give it more weight.

In what year of this team's existence are they finally going to focus on stopping the run and protecting the QB? WHAT FREAKING YEAR???

I don't know, maybe the 2009 offseason, in which they signed a free agent center and drafted guards in rounds 1 and 2.

By the way, isn't it a bit early to be having a conniption over a February report of the team liking a QB?

There's a difference between the coach being quoted as saying he wants a waterbug RB versus a reporter saying how much they like a specific player.

If Chan or Buddy were quoted as saying they love Newton, I'd give it more weight.

it struck me when talking about him at the senior bowl how much he seemed to be interested in him and how much work they had to do to see if he really could be the guy. it seemed like they thought he could but werent 100% sold on him yet. couple that with his SEC connections, and chans interest in a mobile qb.... it seems like a similar situation. could be that they are playing on having done that last year in hopes someone will take them serious again, but it seems like making teams behind you think you want cam only helps the broncos.....

I was reading a chat wrap that Vic Carucci had where he states that Buddy Nix likes Cam Newton a great deal. He also says that we need to address the lines on both sides of the ball, especially on the defensive side. He then went on to say that we need to bulk up on the DL so that the transition back to 4-3 under Wannstedt is made easier. Hasn't Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey said emphatically that we are sticking with the 3-4 but will show multiple fronts. Don't these "analysts" need to know something about a team first before writing things?

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1391