Cam Newton Media Day???

symbiant

How would you feel about Dareus at #3, and a package of our #34, extra 4th, and 6th round pick to move back into the 1st to get Newton? All we are giving up at that point is the 6th round pick. We also sign a FA NT like Solai (or worst case, Rodgers).

Any issues with that?

As far as Dalton goes... I think that with a lot of hard work, in 2-3 years our coaches could have him playing just as good as Fitz is now. Is that what you want in a project QB? To be just as good as the vet you are trying to replace? Take someone with a ton of athletic ability that can surpass what you have now, IMO.

The LAST thing in the world The Bills need to do is Trade ANY Draft Picks away...They are SO far from being a Team that can afford to give up Picks it's really not even funny...Seriously...Trade Down? Absolutely!!! Trade away Picks and come up with a net loss? No F'n way... B-)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the comparisons to Jamarcus Russel forget one simple fact:

If there is football next year, it'll be played with a rookie wage scale.

What does that mean? Well, for one, you won't have to worry about guys getting that huge first contract, then eating themselves out of the league. The big money will come from contract #2, so that mitigates a lot of the risk of drafting someone like Newton #3.

Further, the wage scale will dictate that highly drafted quarterbacks will not command the insane wage premium that they had in the past, making them an even riskier proposition.

The questions that we have for Newton are legitimate. We don't know about his "football IQ" or his work ethic. I don't really see any reason to believe that he doesn't have a strong football IQ or work ethic, based on his success at the highest level of college football. Unfortunately, I feel that a lot of people who automatically assume he is dumb and lazy are falling back on thinly veiled racial stereotypes, and that is pretty gross.

When I think about who I'd like the Bills to draft, for me, it comes down to the potential impact to the franchise.

Right now, we are at a crossroads. The team has been spinning its wheels since Jim Kelly was carted off the field that fateful day, and in my opinion, we'll never see another sustained run of success without elite-level quarterback play. For me, I see the teams that are perennial championship contenders having one thing almost universally in common - elite quarterbacks.

Drafting a player like Nick Fairley, if he turns out to be an elite player, would certainly help the team. I just can't imagine that having a best-case-scenario Warren Sapp caliber player provides the same level of impact that an elite level quarterback would.

If you hit on a quarterback, you'll be contending for championships within 3 years. If you hit on a 300+ pound lineman, on either side of the ball, you'll be contending for a championship 3 years after you get your quarterback.

Just my opinion.

...but posters on TSW watch more film than Dilfer? :doh:

Mayocks been doing this for way longer than Dilfer and has better insight than he does. Like I said, i respect Mayock's opinions more than any other analyst out there, because he just knows more. Better than Dilfer, better than McShay and way better than Kiper. Dilfer's been doing this for about 2 and a half years. Dilfer can watch all those videos he wants of him, but Mayock watches what REALLY matters and thats game film. Like Mayock says. He was in a controlled environment without a defense and he knew where all the WRs were gonna be. His mechanics and arm strength is not the problem. Never was. It's his football IQ and his ability to read a defense.

This is what concerns Mayock and he's right. You can praise Dilfer all u want but he doesn't even compare to Mayock.

That's kind of how these workouts go, bro. Guess you'll be skipping the combine stuff too, huh?

How important is the combine workout to a QB?

Do QBs rocket up the charts because of combine workouts?

My sense is it is typically linemen or speed guys who benefit the most. QBs take time, you've got to watch game film and get to know them as well as you can. From that perspective (getting to know them) the combine is hugely important to QBs. But the workouts?

Someone please explain to me why Cam Newton isn't inaccurate, he's just "inconsistent"? If you are not consistent with your accuracy, that makes you inaccurate.

If he goes #1 overall, that would be the best news the Bills could hope for, becasue then Fairley or Bowers would fall to us at #3.

My sense is it is typically linemen or speed guys who benefit the most. QBs take time, you've got to watch game film and get to know them as well as you can. From that perspective (getting to know them) the combine is hugely important to QBs. But the workouts?

The point is that all of these events--private workouts, pro days, combine--are without a "defense" opposing the QB. It's a skills demonstration.

Bringing up the fact that there is no defense when the QBs do these workouts is, well, pointless. Might as well remind us that there is no track/street/highway at the car show.

You want defense, watch the guy's game films.

The workouts/combine evaluation help the guys who may be borderline physically for the league. A QB with a purportedly weak arm or slow feet could benefit from a great workout in front of scouts and media. A guy like Newton, on the other hand, doesn't have much to gain from events like this since his physical skills aren't really in question.

The most important evaluations for Cam will be the coach interviews.

Mayocks been doing this for way longer than Dilfer and has better insight than he does. Like I said, i respect Mayock's opinions more than any other analyst out there, because he just knows more. Better than Dilfer, better than McShay and way better than Kiper. Dilfer's been doing this for about 2 and a half years. Dilfer can watch all those videos he wants of him, but Mayock watches what REALLY matters and thats game film. Like Mayock says. He was in a controlled environment without a defense and he knew where all the WRs were gonna be. His mechanics and arm strength is not the problem. Never was. It's his football IQ and his ability to read a defense.

This is what concerns Mayock and he's right. You can praise Dilfer all u want but he doesn't even compare to Mayock.

Mayock never said he doesn't like Newton. If that's what you're saying you may be reading into his statements and hearing what you want to hear.

He says his intangibles, Leadership and work ethic are whats going to separate Newton.

I don't know of any reason to question his work ethic. I do not hear any rumors out of Auburn that Newton was a questionable leader.

Newton has said himself he wants to be one of the great ones, "I am aiming for greatness."

So if Mayock thinks he is an accurate passer with a good throwing motion. Newton is a proven leader of college players where he won back to back championships (Why is winning the JuCu championship the year before the BCS championship irrelevant?).

That leaves 1 real (huge) question mark. Can he learn a multi-read, pro style offense. The Wonderlic is a test that is meant to give prospective employers insight to a prospective employees ability to learn and problem solve. Yes the test is not perfect but if Cam Newton gets closer to 30 than 20. A lot o the Football IQ Questions go away. If he is in the teens, well the H-Back crowd might be on to something.

If you had to make a list of coaches to teach Cam that are coaches in the NFL today. I would assume that Chan Gailey would be in the Top3 if not #1. Guess what Chan Gailey is the HC of the Buffalo Bills.

If anyone's going to coach up a talented, accurate passer, that has a strong work ethic and proven college leadership on how to be an NFL QB, the Bills have the guy to do it.

The risk for the Buffalo Bills, takes a bit of a dip because of our coaching staff.

If Cam nails the Wonderlic and the Bills pass on Cam. I think Ken whisenhunt in Arizona might take Cam Newton at #5 over Yo-Gabba-Gabbert. Ken whisenhunt knew what do to with a Big, raw, Accurate passer in Ben Roethlisberger.

Then Bills fans will be happy because they get to say "Look at Arizona. We could have had Cam Newton, instead of this guy on the D-Line that doesn't even have 20 sacks a season." because it seems like criticizing draft picks is the #1 hobby of Bills fans.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Reading NFL defenses should be the biggest question NFL scouts have about a QB they project into the first round.

This is so easily misunderstood, and not just by accident. The people who know football understand this is far more then recognizing the pass coverage schemes and identifying blitzing players. A good QB can break down the film coverage to discover the flaws in player characteristics and adjust their game to capitalize on it. Sure, QB's rely on their coaches for the in-game information quite a bit but they must understand what it is they are seeing to make those adjustments. One thing that I noticed in the championship game was that Oregon, for whatever insane reason, did not adjust their defense much in the second half. I noticed that Cam still looked good but I did not notice that there was any adjustment or anything done to play to the Oregon weaknesses. He simply went out there and did what he does every other snap I have seen him take, and that is simply play football. He can play the game, there is no doubt but I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe he can break down a defense, he can find the weaknesses of a player, and beyond that take advantage of them.

He reminds me of Edwards a little bit in the above sense; he will try the same thing a few more times after struggling on it a few times prior or even failing at it. You can't force this type of thing in the NFL, and look Tony Romo is having this problem in his career right now for some reason, too. If you want someone who has the ability to find the flaws in the defense but is not a great QB, look at Hasselbeck.

I never go off the judgement of a former player or even McShay or Kiper. All of these guys seem to have an agenda in what they are saying and there have been several credible witnesses that say they tout certain players for personal gains. Mayock, however, does not flash his name around and for whatever reason strikes me as an honest opinion. I do not agree with it as much as some, but he at least seems fair to point out strengths and weaknesses without prejudice.

The only thing to really know about Cam Newton as far as the Bills are concerned, IMO, is this: We know for a fact that Buddy Nix does not like one year wonders. We know for a fact that Nix, Gailey and Ralph Wilson all love Ryan Fitzpatrick. We know for a fact that Nix and Gailey know the problems on the Bills were not from the quarterback position at all, or even the skill positions, they were on the lines on both sides of the ball. IF the Bills choose Cam Newton at #3, Nix and Gailey absolutely LOVE this guy as an NFL prospect and potential franchise quarterback after all the tape they watched and backgrounds checks and interviews they conducted.*

I don't think we're taking him, and my choice would be Fairley or Bowers or Dareus right now. But if we do take him, Nix and Gailey watched a ton of game tape on him and are drooling about him being a star for 10 years in the NFL. I don't, however, think he would play for 1-2 years even if we draft him.

*The only caveat to this is if Nix and Gailey like him a lot but don't want to draft him at #3 and Ralphie steps in and demands it. I really don't see that happening, even though I have thoroughly believed Ralph has done this before.

Mayock, like Kiper is just a media guy. He does watch a lot of film, but you are not going to see any nfl team calling him to scout for their team. Dilfer is highly respected amongst nfl people for his ability to evaluate both college and nfl qbs. Former nfl gm Pat Kirwain being a good example of a guy that highly respects Dilfer. I don't know if Newton is the answer at qb, but I do know that you should trust Dilfer over Mayock when it comes to evaluating qbs.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

I wouldn't be surprised if Dilfer is on Newton's payroll. Hasn't he hired a whole bunch of people

including guys like Ben Roethlisberger?

LOL, so now hiring coaches so he can work hard at improving his game is equivalent to buying support in the media?

Kid can't catch a break. For the "hype machine" that will surround him, there is an equal amount of "hater machine" going on as well. A lot of people are just looking for something to bag on him about, facts or no facts.

http://www.icanhasinternets.com/2010/05/haters-gonna-hate/

The point is that all of these events--private workouts, pro days, combine--are without a "defense" opposing the QB. It's a skills demonstration.

Bringing up the fact that there is no defense when the QBs do these workouts is, well, pointless. Might as well remind us that there is no track/street/highway at the car show.

Thank you. It's funny how people will dismiss this as a publicity stunt/skills competition, but will consider their pro-day the end-all-be-all in grading out a prospect. All of these are meant to make the player look as good as possible, while incorporating certain aspects scouts/media want to see. There's not mock-defenses at the combine, but somehow throwing there is more indicative of success? If Cam Newton wants to be a top 10 pick, one word. Wonderlic.

I thought the point was that you pointed to the combine as something not to be missed. paraphrasing..."I suppose you'll ignore what he does at the combine too?"

nice backpedal though

edit...to quote: "Guess you'll be skipping the combine stuff too, huh?"

Edited by Beerball

+1

While the scouts, coaches, and GMs DO get something tangible out of watching them run around and throw in shorts (they pay very close attention to drops, timing, release points, and footwork), the best ways QBs help themselves at the combine are in the film/meeting rooms. It's great to have an HC ask a QB prospect to disect and analyze his most/least favorite plays. Scouts and GMs have a pretty good idea of who can make what throws long before they get to the combine.

GO BILLS!!!