Cam Newton Media Day???

symbiant

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not an Auburn fan, I like what Auburn did this year and with the many games I watched on the tube and in person, they were sure fun to watch. More importantly Cam Newton was fun to watch! Bottom lline is he is a winner, I want defense this year but if we go QB and he is available you go Newton, you go a winner, he can step out of the way of defenders, who also happen to be smaller than him, he can throw, and boy can he run, 3rd and 2 to go, even in the NFL he is a first down threat that has to be defended against.

I think it would be easier to name the colleges that actually run a Pro offense, and that ask their QB to make Pro type reads and progressions...

I dont know ANY.

anyone?

I wouldn't classify myself as anti-Cam just someone who is not convinced yet nor will he ever be that any college player is the next coming of Jesus.

However, you are right, the difference in the pro game and college game is growing more rapidly then ever and it is nearly impossible for the common person to see the difference. Trained NFL scouts often miss at this and we have results like Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Eric Crouch, JaMarcuss Russell, Matt Leinert and many others. Of all of those, which is just a sliver of examples, Leinert seemed to be the best of college pedigree and has had a great amount of experience at USC.

When looking at Cam he had better competition, something Leinert did not have. You cannot discount him becuase of the style of offense at Auburn but you can easily argue that his style of play is not reflective of successful NFL QB's. Michael Vick is an amazing athlete and succeeded very well in the NFL for a very short stint. People seem to white-wash his poor performances with tapes of his highlights. I will debate anyone who thinks that his time away from football was a bad event because I truly feel that it gave his body a chance to rest, something it probably has not done since elementary school. When he came back he had learned to stay in the pocket more and had built upon what he was finally learning in his last years in Atlanta. With the good coaching in Phili he developed in to one of the best players in the NFL until coaches dusted off their playbooks, remembered how to stop him and did so quite effectively. Next year I think we will come back to Earth on Vick. He will still put up good numbers and be on the better side of NFL QB's out there but I do not think he will be as successful. I mention Vick for one reason; he is the only QB out there who has been successful bringing his college game to the pro's. No other QB has been able to rely on their feet as much as he has and that has only got him so far.

In further looking at Eagles QB's we can go back to McNabb, another good QB who is amongst the top of his era. People forget that Andy Reid and crew do an amazing job with their QB's. I never felt that amazed watchign McNabb. His numbers were near the top, his performances were strong but he never was able to do what other QB's were able to do, find a target. I will use Drew Bledsoe as an example. One of his best strengths was his vision and ability to make his checks. Ben Coates, Curtis Martin, Troy Brown and others were always likely to make the play and it is because this vision made Bledsoe a pocket passer. Manning has it, Rivers has it, Brees has it, Sanchez, Palmer, Kerry Collins (although, he struggled early), Hasselbeck, Stafford, Gradkowski, Flacco, Ryan, Rodgers and Brady. Cutler struggles with this, same with Delhomme, Pennington, Vick, Henne, Cassel, Culpepper, Favre, and McNabb, too. Roethlisberger has the ability to check down his WR's and get the ball to his backs but does not display his ability to do so very well. Often times he is not called upon to make this types of decisions but watching him in college it was easy to see at Miami he can run a Pro offense and the only question was how successful will he be with the speed of the game. Roethlisberger at Findlay HS was the same way, able to pick his targets amongst the 8 players that teams would use to drop in to coverage. (btw, it was a crazy site to see that.)

There are a few players who just cannot perform the check; such as, Russell, Young, Crouch, Leaf, Edwards, Girrard, Leinert, Moore, St. Pierre, Carr, Losman, and Todd Collins. Now I ask you, of the three groups, which do you think Cam Newton fits in to best? I think it might be between the 2nd and 3rd group at this time. Does he have the potential to reach the first one? I kind of think so, but, I am not going to pay him $15 million to find out when we have needs that are much bigger to fill.

So, if we draft Cam Newton, I am not saying it is the end of the world and I am not overly optomistic he will succeed in the NFL.

http://www.newerascouting.com/2011/02/cam-newton-scouting-report/

Does this sound like the # 3 pick?

I hope not. Too many question marks like football IQ and lack of pro style offense

I am not saying I would or would not take Newton at three, but name the person in the draft who has no issues? Bowers - bit of a one year wonder...Paterson - some argue too big to be a fluid shut down corner....Green - suspended 4 games, might be too lean for his size...Fairly - a bit flabby, takes plays off...blah blah blah...Roll the dice hope for the best...

I'm not an advocate for Newton @ #3, but if he goes through the combine looking good in front of the scouts, his pro day looking good in front of the scouts, and does fairly well on his wonderlic then I wouldn't be mad if we draft the guy. His physical talents are unquestionable, but I want to see if he is accurate in the workouts and if he has smarts as well. A guy like that has to be accounted for on every play which would definitely open up the offense even more. Bootlegs, making plays when the WR's are covered, and being probably one of the harder guys to bring down just when you think you have him bottled up would go a long way to making the team around him look even better.

I would take Cam in a trade down that netted us a 2nd round pick ONLY because there is going to be so much good defensive talent in the 2nd round.......

And if we do that....we better be very active in free agency.......for instance with we give up the chance to land a player like Darius or Quinn....then we better be hot after a guy like the Miami NT so we can stop the run and another FA linebacker.....

I actually think Cam Newton can end up being a player......but I also think that a guy like Dalton can also end up being a good player as well.

I would take Cam in a trade down that netted us a 2nd round pick ONLY because there is going to be so much good defensive talent in the 2nd round.......

And if we do that....we better be very active in free agency.......for instance with we give up the chance to land a player like Darius or Quinn....then we better be hot after a guy like the Miami NT so we can stop the run and another FA linebacker.....

I actually think Cam Newton can end up being a player......but I also think that a guy like Dalton can also end up being a good player as well.

How would you feel about Dareus at #3, and a package of our #34, extra 4th, and 6th round pick to move back into the 1st to get Newton? All we are giving up at that point is the 6th round pick. We also sign a FA NT like Solai (or worst case, Rodgers).

Any issues with that?

As far as Dalton goes... I think that with a lot of hard work, in 2-3 years our coaches could have him playing just as good as Fitz is now. Is that what you want in a project QB? To be just as good as the vet you are trying to replace? Take someone with a ton of athletic ability that can surpass what you have now, IMO.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=4627

Cam is the top rated player at any position according to 6 of 32 NFL teams!

Lets jsut take him. We will never eer be good, so it might as well be exciting and make for better madden rosters!

...http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=4627

Also, if you want to pretend that is true, that means 26 teams do not.

Edited by jboyst62

1.) Most of those were designed QB runs, not a lack of ability to read the defense on his part. He's doing what he's told to.

2.) Those runs accounted for over 1000 YDS. and last time I check rushing yards count just as much as passing yards. Everyone loves Vick for his highlight reel runs, but everyone seems to be bashing Newton for his.

Hence the reason people refer to him as a "running QB", which always brings hysterical reactions from the fanboys. You really think he's going to run for 1000 yards/season in the NFL? Or that safties are going to routinely leave all the WRs in single coverage because they are so scared of him running?

Hence the reason people refer to him as a "running QB", which always brings hysterical reactions from the fanboys. You really think he's going to run for 1000 yards/season in the NFL? Or that safties are going to routinely leave all the WRs in single coverage because they are so scared of him running?

Newton only had 36 fewer pass attempts in his season at Aubrun than Aaron Rodgers did in his final season at Cal. Newton also threw for more yards and TD's in few passes than Rodgers. His QB rating and completion % were also higher. Just saying.

Edited by Bangarang

Trent Dilfer is creaming over the workout right now on ESPN.

Quick sound-bites...

-Physically imposing, Dilfer said he's 6'4" 240 and Cam dwarfs him

-sound mechanics, nothing needs an overhaul

-threw every pass in the book into a stiff breeze, said there was 4 drops because of zip on ball

-nothing short of amazing when asked his overall impression

-top 5 pick

...http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=4627

Also, if you want to pretend that is true, that means 26 teams do not.

No, he didnt say how many teams he talked to, just that he talked to 6 that did have him #1. He could have talked to all 32, or maybe only 6. Why the hell not, Go Newton!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/10/trent-dilfer-of-cam-newton-workout-phenomenal/

Edited by Thoner7

RED FLAG ALERT !!!!

just another example of this guy causing trouble....buyer beware...he is going to be very difficult to sign and deal with.....a "media" workout with not a single scout allowed to attend?...what a joke.....i'll give ya he is gifted physically.....it's his ethics, INTELLIGENCE reading defenses and work/study habits thats going to be a problem.