Cam Newton Media Day???

symbiant

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He also won a JUCO national title.

...JUCO? Really? 13th grade? The guy in 1 year has accomplished more then I have in my life, I am sure, but some things you just don't have to mention...

Also, I researched it, he was captain of his class dodgeball team in 3rd grade that won the recess championship October 17, 1998. He is just all around champion.

...JUCO? Really? 13th grade? The guy in 1 year has accomplished more then I have in my life, I am sure, but some things you just don't have to mention...

Also, I researched it, he was captain of his class dodgeball team in 3rd grade that won the recess championship October 17, 1998. He is just all around champion.

lets be honest, its something. maybe not a huge deal, but he handled business that he should have. if he couldnt lead them to a championship we might be talking about it. he won the games he was supposed to - more then can be said about our bills. i seem to remember us losing a lot of games that should have been cakewalks. im not sold on cam, but i am fascinated by the prospect. he seems to have some warts, but quite honestly hes done everything hes been asked to do, except for keep his hands off money/computers he shouldnt have.

i know its clearly a knock that he hasnt had to read a defense or go through progressions, but right now i cant say that its because he cant. just because they simplify college schemes doesnt mean he couldnt have handled a more complex one. just cause he was such a good runner that he felt that better then going to a 3rd and 4th option doesnt mean he didnt know what those guys were doing. he never had to line up under center but his footwork today was immaculate, and he displayed good mechanics, and balance. maybe the mental part is there, but he never had to show it.

it could mean he flat out doesnt get it. but until chan sits down with him in a film room, i dont think we will know whether or not hes our guy. i promise he will be in for a visit at OBD though, and they will drill him hard.

IMO Mayock is the only person that knows what he's talking about. McShay and Kiper couldn't hold his jockstrap and you can tell he doubts Newton. So you Cam lovers can drool all over him, but he says everything I've already said. Only throws on his first or 2nd read and runs. You won't get away from that crp at the next level. Mayock doesn't say he'll be a bust but he obviously doubts him. And I for one agree.

NO THANKS.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e41216/Is-Cam-Newton-NFL-ready?module=HP_cp2

ALL the QB's will have to learn to read defenses. That's not saying anything. It's early yet. Mayock's opinion could very well change.

I dont think you are giving Dalton enough credit (who Maylock is high on by the way) the first thing you get that is better then Fitz RIGHT NOW is accuracy.......

Dalton does everything that you would like in QB except for grow taller.....he makes good decision, is mobile, accurate, and is known to be a leader......oh yeah and he is a WINNER.....

AND you can get him in probably the 3rd round.....which would be invaluable for a team that was dead last against the run......

1st - Darius or Quinn

2nd - Phil Taylor NT

3rd - Dalton QB

4th - best available LB

4th - best available LB

IMO Mayock is the only person that knows what he's talking about. McShay and Kiper couldn't hold his jockstrap and you can tell he doubts Newton. So you Cam lovers can drool all over him, but he says everything I've already said. Only throws on his first or 2nd read and runs. You won't get away from that crap at the next level. Mayock doesn't say he'll be a bust but he obviously doubts him. And I for one agree.

NO THANKS.

http://www.nfl.com/v...y?module=HP_cp2

To elaborate a little on what Mike Mayock stated....

He said the best pro day workout in shorts he ever witnessed was that of ....Jamarcus Russell!!

So many young players enter the draft with all the tools to become a franchise QB, and yet so many fail at the next level because you really can't see much of anything watching a player throw the ball in his shorts! What is the most telling is when you put on the game tapes, and watch what they do under pressure. Mayock stated he will need to watch them at the combine to further evaluate all the QB's.

Its the intangibles that will make the difference. Like, is he the first one in the locker room, and last to leave, is he a workaholic, a gym rat that is willing to spend the extra time to prepare and learn his craft? What kind of football IQ does he have, is he a fast learner and able to take direction, can he read a defense, does he make smart throws? Does he love the game and is willing to do what it takes to become the best, or does he just love the payday and want to take the money and run?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So many teams draft a QB and then fail to coach them up properly and surround them with enough talent to succeed, then they throw them into the fire and expect winning results. The only results they usually achieve that way is a broken QB, both mentality and physically.

Buffalo still doesn't have the proper supporting cast to properly develop any young QB, the line still isn't nearly good enough in run or pass blocking. It might look adequate against average teams now because Fitz can read a defense, call the proper protections and get rid of the ball quickly enough. But we all saw what happens when the bills face a good pass rush (Jets) , Fitz ends up running for his life, just like JP Losman did, just like Trent Edwards did, If Fitz gets hit enough this upcoming year and suffers concussions like Edwards did, he will start getting happy feet and start hearing phantom footsteps just like JP and Edwards. We all watched that very same line fail to protect Brian Brohm. Not to mention that very few really good experienced QB's can succeed with no real running game to take the pressure off them. Play action passing still works, even in todays pass happy league.

Although a guy like Cam Newton just might develop into a SB winning QB at some point, and he sure would sell some tickets.... I'd rather see the Bills keep fitz as the starter, and build the O line properly. Find a great TE and build deeper receiver corps. Perhaps draft Christian Ponder- Colin Kaepernick-Andy dalton in the 3rd- 4th and develop him

I dont think you are giving Dalton enough credit (who Maylock is high on by the way) the first thing you get that is better then Fitz RIGHT NOW is accuracy.......

Dalton does everything that you would like in QB except for grow taller.....he makes good decision, is mobile, accurate, and is known to be a leader......oh yeah and he is a WINNER.....

AND you can get him in probably the 3rd round.....which would be invaluable for a team that was dead last against the run......

1st - Darius or Quinn

2nd - Phil Taylor NT

3rd - Dalton QB

4th - best available LB

4th - best available LB

So a snot-nosed "first read only" rookie QB from a very gimmicky college offense will be a more accurate passer than Ryan Fitzpatrick from day one....REALLY?????? The myth of Fitzy's passing inaccuracy has officially grown to epic proportions.

Sorry, but Dalton most likely will never be as good as Fitzpatrick in any category. Bills should use that third rounder to look for a starter on defense or the offensive line.

WOW :w00t: That's 4 championships, count 'em - four.

His draft stock is skyrocketing.

All the prognosticators have misses. Int this case, you just choose to ignore Mayock's, because he supports your position on Newton.

I support Mayock because he watches more clips on players than anyone in this room. Therefore he knows more than me and you. Therefore I support his position on anybody. :thumbsup:

To elaborate a little on what Mike Mayock stated....

He said the best pro day workout in shorts he ever witnessed was that of ....Jamarcus Russell!!

So many young players enter the draft with all the tools to become a franchise QB, and yet so many fail at the next level because you really can't see much of anything watching a player throw the ball in his shorts! What is the most telling is when you put on the game tapes, and watch what they do under pressure. Mayock stated he will need to watch them at the combine to further evaluate all the QB's.

Its the intangibles that will make the difference. Like, is he the first one in the locker room, and last to leave, is he a workaholic, a gym rat that is willing to spend the extra time to prepare and learn his craft? What kind of football IQ does he have, is he a fast learner and able to take direction, can he read a defense, does he make smart throws? Does he love the game and is willing to do what it takes to become the best, or does he just love the payday and want to take the money and run?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So many teams draft a QB and then fail to coach them up properly and surround them with enough talent to succeed, then they throw them into the fire and expect winning results. The only results they usually achieve that way is a broken QB, both mentality and physically.

Buffalo still doesn't have the proper supporting cast to properly develop any young QB, the line still isn't nearly good enough in run or pass blocking. It might look adequate against average teams now because Fitz can read a defense, call the proper protections and get rid of the ball quickly enough. But we all saw what happens when the bills face a good pass rush (Jets) , Fitz ends up running for his life, just like JP Losman did, just like Trent Edwards did, If Fitz gets hit enough this upcoming year and suffers concussions like Edwards did, he will start getting happy feet and start hearing phantom footsteps just like JP and Edwards. We all watched that very same line fail to protect Brian Brohm. Not to mention that very few really good experienced QB's can succeed with no real running game to take the pressure off them. Play action passing still works, even in todays pass happy league.

Although a guy like Cam Newton just might develop into a SB winning QB at some point, and he sure would sell some tickets.... I'd rather see the Bills keep fitz as the starter, and build the O line properly. Find a great TE and build deeper receiver corps. Perhaps draft Christian Ponder- Colin Kaepernick-Andy dalton in the 3rd- 4th and develop him

No need to elaborate what he said. I have ears. :rolleyes:

I am just not grooving on Cam Newton. He is clearly a superior physical talent, but there

is zero evidence that he can read a defense and throw to well-covered receivers at the

NFL level. He has only played 1 year of NCAA division1 football and running QBs often

don't make it in the NFL.

I am not saying that I know for sure that he won't be able to learn to read defenses and

make the split-second decisions that an NFL QB must make, just that he hasn't demonstrated

that he can and that is too risky for my tastes when you have the 3rd overall pick.

A lot of people are bringing up the issue of a first round risk pick. That is a reasonable point. But the reality is that there is no such thing as a riskless pick when drafting high. There are concerns with Fairly as a first round pick. There are concerns about Dareus on the DL over where on the line he is best suited. There are concerns about Miller (I like him) and where he is best suited to play.

Cam Newton has certainly demonstrated that he has the physical tools. But there are other traits that he possesses that are a good sign.. His players like him and respond to him. The coaches gush about his coachability and work ethic. Those are critical leadership characteristics for a qb to have.

The issue over reading defenses is a valid concern. But that question applies to 98% of the qbs coming out of the college game. Most of the college programs rely on the spread and first read type of offenses. All young qbs have to adjust to the speed of the pro game. I don't care how good any qb is there is going to be a challenging adjustment and learning process.

The Bills are in a position to take a franchise transforming talent. If the opportunity presents itself and they don't act on it then they will continue be what they have been for almost a generation i.e. medicore and boring.

Realizing that the tape of the workout is a snippet of the 45 minute exercise...

Go back and look at it again. Dilfer talked about him keeping his eyes downfield (that's pretty easy in a controlled environment), looking to the middle of the field before he found his receiver & his footwork/motion/delivery.

In the clips available I saw him lock onto his receivers. Why did Dilfer see it differently?

In the clips there is one throw (with no pressure, in a controlled environment) where his mechanics are bad (throwing off his back foot while still moving backwards). Warren Moon mentioned that he saw 'something' in Newton's delivery and had a brief word with him during this no pressure controlled environment workout. Why didn't Dilfer see/mention this? Moon is advising Newton and he mentioned it.

After you watch the clips again, let me know if I'm seeing things.

Mayock's two big 'questions' about Newton are the ability to read complex defenses and his work ethic.

The first is very understandable. Reading NFL defenses should be the biggest question NFL scouts have about a QB they project into the first round.

Why would work ethic be a question? What has he heard?

Put me in the undecided and skeptical camp. Convince me.