Cam Newton Media Day???

symbiant

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I will say, for such a hyped up event, and with most of the media clamoring for sports news... Im a little disappointed by the lack of coverage coming out so far. Nothing, or not much, on ESPN or NFLN. I was hoping for some videos and reports by now...

dilfer has been LOVING him.

says hes a monster, had great footwork/balance, very fluid, made throws with anticipation and great mechanics.

still curious if he can make the reads, but it sounds like the early word is very positive, and trent tends to be objective.

RED FLAG ALERT !!!!

just another example of this guy causing trouble....buyer beware...he is going to be very difficult to sign and deal with.....a "media" workout with not a single scout allowed to attend?...what a joke.....i'll give ya he is gifted physically.....it's his ethics, INTELLIGENCE reading defenses and work/study habits thats going to be a problem.

arent there rules in place currently -- only workouts can be at the combine, a proday in the prospects hometown/at their college campus, or on an official visit?

i still think its off base but can be read a few different ways.

RED FLAG ALERT !!!!

just another example of this guy causing trouble....

How is having a media day "causing trouble"?

You mean by bringing in folks to show them he is actually working very hard, and developing/improving his throwing motion? Man, what a thug.... :rolleyes:

Edited by DrDankenstein

It will be perfectly scripted. The worries with Newton are clear as day - he will present a dog and pony show and this will only bolster his stock. He can throw the ball well, his problems extend far beyond that aspect.

:thumbsup: like playing under center and making NFL progressions, which I have been told by many people on here that I shouldn't judge him for running first and being in a spread.

How is having a media day "causing trouble"?

You mean by bringing in folks to show them he is actually working very hard, and developing/improving his throwing motion? Man, what a thug.... :rolleyes:

i think the concern is that he may have put himself ahead of the established system a time or two in the past......

How would you feel about Dareus at #3, and a package of our #34, extra 4th, and 6th round pick to move back into the 1st to get Newton? All we are giving up at that point is the 6th round pick. We also sign a FA NT like Solai (or worst case, Rodgers).

Any issues with that?

As far as Dalton goes... I think that with a lot of hard work, in 2-3 years our coaches could have him playing just as good as Fitz is now. Is that what you want in a project QB? To be just as good as the vet you are trying to replace? Take someone with a ton of athletic ability that can surpass what you have now, IMO.

I agree with your judgment on Newton but have some concerns with your scenario of using picks to move back up to acquire him.

Why mess around and risk not getting Newton with a later draft maneuver. What happens if another team covets him and then makes a deal to jump ahead of us to take him? If the front office believes that Newton is a major talent and franchise qb, then just take him with the first pick. Then use the majority of the remaining picks and free agency to improve the defense. Either you have a conviction about him as a player or you don't. If you do, then don't outsmart yourself and allow another team to seize the opportunity from us.

As you pointed out, with respect to Dalton, why waste a pick on a qb with a limited upside? At best he is a heady backup. We have that type of qb in Fitz.

There are many on this board who strongly make the point that the Bills need to draft a player who can immediately contribute. They use that argument as a reason not to draft Newton. Isn't it ironic that not one player who was drafted last year had a significant impact in their rookie year, including our top pick in Spiller. I'm not suggesting that the players who were drafted last year won't develop into good or contributing players. But using the standard that a draftee has to be an immediate impact player to be considered with our first pick doesn't make sense. If that was the case then the Packers would not have drafted Rodgers and the Chargers would not have drafted Rivers.

Edited by JohnC

Has been asked to make at most two reads pre-snap at Auburn.

He'll have to be making these with Ray Lewis, Joey Porter, and other 250# LB's in his face that are just as fast as him, while watching what the DB's are doing. I do not think that will be an easier adjustment. As he tries to read the defense

His accuracy seems to drop off when forced to move in the pocket, which is somewhat surprising considering how athletic he is
will only go to show to get the ball to who ever he can find that he thinks is open.

In other words, it will be similar to watching Vince Young with better running ability. That running ability might save his arse a few times.

I am just not grooving on Cam Newton. He is clearly a superior physical talent, but there

is zero evidence that he can read a defense and throw to well-covered receivers at the

NFL level. He has only played 1 year of NCAA division1 football and running QBs often

don't make it in the NFL.

I am not saying that I know for sure that he won't be able to learn to read defenses and

make the split-second decisions that an NFL QB must make, just that he hasn't demonstrated

that he can and that is too risky for my tastes when you have the 3rd overall pick.

I dont think he will be a 3rd pick. I would very surprised if Carolina passed on him.

That's the problem, if he's good enough for the Bills to pick at #3, he good enough for the Panthers to pick at #1. I remember this time last year, Bradford was around the 10th-12th best player (because of the shoulder) until the workouts locked him down as the consensus number 1 player. Don't fall in love with Newton because he'll probably end up going to the Panthers when all is said and done.

Trent Dilfer has a total man crush on Cam Newton. He was very impressed with his media workout today. Trent could not believe how hard he made it and into a stiff breeze. He thinks that he will rocket up draft boards. Trent also was amazed at his size. Trent said his own measurements of 6-4 230 and was dwarfed by Cam. I for one would not mind Buffalo taking a chance on a modern day QB. That is what Cam is. I for one love the fact that he is a winner........

The comparison to Mike Vick is not fair Cam is just a much bigger much stronger man. Mike might be faster and the better athlete I will not doubt that. Cam is like a power forward playing QB. You can compare him to Jamarcus Russell physically this is true. Even in character this also might be true in that it is spotted. I for one think that Cam Newton has always thought he would be great and he has taken advantage of that from day one. I also think that he does not want one contract. But multiple contracts. If we pick him third we had better be ready to pay him at least as much as the first pick in the draft. QB premium. I would not be heart broken about this pick. A QB who one 2 national championships.

He will not make one tackle on defense this is true. I do not see this kid being a looser in the NFL. If we pass on him I think we will regret it. Pick him if you can.

IMO Mayock is the only person that knows what he's talking about. McShay and Kiper couldn't hold his jockstrap and you can tell he doubts Newton. So you Cam lovers can drool all over him, but he says everything I've already said. Only throws on his first or 2nd read and runs. You won't get away from that crp at the next level. Mayock doesn't say he'll be a bust but he obviously doubts him. And I for one agree.

NO THANKS.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e41216/Is-Cam-Newton-NFL-ready?module=HP_cp2

Trent Dilfer has a total man crush on Cam Newton. He was very impressed with his media workout today. Trent could not believe how hard he made it and into a stiff breeze. He thinks that he will rocket up draft boards. Trent also was amazed at his size. Trent said his own measurements of 6-4 230 and was dwarfed by Cam. I for one would not mind Buffalo taking a chance on a modern day QB. That is what Cam is. I for one love the fact that he is a winner........

The comparison to Mike Vick is not fair Cam is just a much bigger much stronger man. Mike might be faster and the better athlete I will not doubt that. Cam is like a power forward playing QB. You can compare him to Jamarcus Russell physically this is true. Even in character this also might be true in that it is spotted. I for one think that Cam Newton has always thought he would be great and he has taken advantage of that from day one. I also think that he does not want one contract. But multiple contracts. If we pick him third we had better be ready to pay him at least as much as the first pick in the draft. QB premium. I would not be heart broken about this pick. A QB who one 2 national championships.

He will not make one tackle on defense this is true. I do not see this kid being a looser in the NFL. If we pass on him I think we will regret it. Pick him if you can.

Maybe he could. Given his measurables (6'6" - 255 - 260) perhaps he could contribute in other ways while learning the system. Certainly on special teams, but maybe give him a shot at linebacker? This is the ONLY way I would draft Cam Newton at #3. Unless the Bills think he starts from day 1.