OK Newton. make me a believer!

TH3

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind it all if he went number one overall. Allows us to draft a stud D player

After tonight and the combine you just might get your wish. I have the feeling that Cam Newton will fill a lot of stadiums before his career is over. The excitement over this BCS game is huge. Just try to buy a ticket on stub hub for it.

I don't think anyone should be making their entire opinion on this one game. 6 weeks after the season with all that time to prepare for the defense. He is a special talent and its not the hard to youtube highlights of all of the games this season to have an informed opinion whichever side of the fence you fall on. Me I would take either dareus fairley or him... so far until I look deeper into other top prospects seasons

One game? You must be new. At TSW we don't even need one game. Opinions on a player are made after one series. Hell, after one PLAY!

If you need an entire game to evaluate a player you may want to visit a more sane forum environment.

If you choose to base your evaluation off the entire body of a player's work, I suggest you never come back. That kind of rational thinking has no place around these parts.

GO BILLS!!!

If one thing should be evident from this weekend's playoff games it's that a franchise QB is NOT the key piece to the puzzle. You need to become bullies on both sides of the ball and THEN you go take care of your skill positions. Watching the games this weekend one thing that stood out to me is how anemic the Bills look when compared to linemen and LBs on these playoff teams. Draft the line early and often and upgrade the heck out of the strength and conditioning program because what the Bills are doing in that regard simply is not working.

Not sure what you're getting at (except maybe you don't think much of Sanchez), but Seattle won their game on the back of their franchise QB, who threw 4 TDs. Flacco is obviously a franchise QB, as is Rogers. Every team that had a bye has unquestioned franchise QBs.

I heard he's 8 foot tall and shoots lightning bolts out of his arse!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I AM CAM NEWTON!!! AND WOULD YOU TRADE ALL THE DAYS FROM NOW TILL THEN FOR JUST ONE CHANCE TO COME BACK AND THROW INTERCEPTIONS TO A CRAPPY OREGON DEFENSE!?!?!

Win a big game? At Alabama this year? SEC Championship game? Those are pretty big games. Come from behind? Auburn has come from behind in 8 games to win but the biggest was likely the Alabama game after being down 24-7 to win it 28-27.

He is a once in a generation athlete who set an NCAA record for passing effeciency who is 6-6 250 and run a legit 4.4 40.

Passing on him for anyone else will be the equivalent to teams passing on Michael Jordan for Clyde Drexler and Sam Bowie.

He instantly gives this team a chance to win every game, he has no character issues and is a born leader.

His pro day, combine and BCS performance tonight will likely push him to the no. 1 pick with Luck being out. You prolly don't believe that but it's true.

So wrong it's scary. Dude is like Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, and Ryan Leaf all rolled into one.

Newton has had a couple questionable throws, and he's still going to probably throw four TDs in this game,

I've counted a total of four downfield throws; two picks (one wasn't given), one incomplete and one to a guy open by five yards who ran it in. Every other pass has been a check down or WR screen.

p.s. But Brent Musberger calls him an 'unstoppable force' so I guess that's all that really matters.

Edited by KD in CT

I've counted a total of four downfield throws; two picks (one wasn't given), one incomplete and one to a guy open by five yards who ran it in. Every other pass has been a check down or WR screen.

p.s. But Brent Musberger calls him an 'unstoppable force' so I guess that's all that really matters.

Tell that to Matthews. Nice play from him on 3rd down. Can't we get a LB who fills the hole?

I've counted a total of four downfield throws; two picks (one wasn't given), one incomplete and one to a guy open by five yards was ran it in. Every other pass has been a check down or WR screen.

That was a blown pass for sure. Although it still should have been a TD. He throws downfield all the time. I thought the first pass of the game was a great pass the WR blew. The almost INT was also a decent pass that the DB made a sick play on but he didnt catch. This is the worse he has played and even though he just blew a TD, again, he's probably going to put up ridiculous numbers in this game. Those short runs were pretty impressive.

I want Fairley or Dareus #1, but Newton is crazy good. I dont think anyone on earth knows if he will be able to read NFL defenses. That is going to be the key. He surely has the talent.

I'm seeing another one of these option QBs that looks to run first; then makes throws to wide open receivers. What makes this guy so much better than all the other option QBs that have been drafted recently?

Honestly, what am I missing?

Fairley on the other hand is looking like a force out there.

That was a blown pass for sure. Although it still should have been a TD. He throws downfield all the time. I thought the first pass of the game was a great pass the WR blew. The almost INT was also a decent pass that the DB made a sick play on but he didnt catch. This is the worse he has played and even though he just blew a TD, again, he's probably going to put up ridiculous numbers in this game. Those short runs were pretty impressive.

I want Fairley or Dareus #1, but Newton is crazy good. I dont think anyone on earth knows if he will be able to read NFL defenses. That is going to be the key. He surely has the talent.

Auburn has called a lot of audibles, no idea if that's Cam or the coach though (I never watch college ball).

Ok, that was a solid play.

Auburn has called a lot of audibles, no idea if that's Cam or the coach though (I never watch college ball).

Ok, that was a solid play.

It's almost always the coaches that call the audibles.

That was a great play avoiding the rush, and a good pass although the guy is wide open. Still, they are often wide open because he can run so well and he kills defenses.

That was a blown pass for sure. Although it still should have been a TD. He throws downfield all the time. I thought the first pass of the game was a great pass the WR blew. The almost INT was also a decent pass that the DB made a sick play on but he didn't catch. This is the worse he has played and even though he just blew a TD, again, he's probably going to put up ridiculous numbers in this game. Those short runs were pretty impressive.

I just don't see it at all. He's not elusive enough to be an effective runner in the NFL so he'll get pounded if he tries. And whereas college defenses need to worry about him running constantly, in the NFL he'll have to throw from the pocket to be effective and he doesn't appear to be especially accurate as a passer (he's ok, but nothing special).

Everyone will exclaim how great his stats looks, but tonight he's thrown to two guys that were completely uncovered for scores and the rest have been dinks and dunks. Again, a fine performance for an above average college QB, but I just don't see an NFL franchise QB on the field tonight.

I just don't see it at all. He's not elusive enough to be an effective runner in the NFL so he'll get pounded if he tries. And whereas college defenses need to worry about him running constantly, in the NFL he'll have to throw from the pocket to be effective and he doesn't appear to be especially accurate as a passer (he's ok, but nothing special).

Everyone will exclaim how great his stats looks, but tonight he's thrown to two guys that were completely uncovered for scores and the rest have been dinks and dunks. Again, a fine performance for an above average college QB, but I just don't see an NFL franchise QB on the field tonight.

How many full games have you seen him play?

How many full games have you seen him play?

This is the 3d game I've seen this year. But as I understand it, his career is only about 12 game long.

As you stated, he's successful (in particular on the last TD) because of this threat to run. Do you really think that translates to the NFL? Other than Vick, what QBs get to throw to wide open guys all the time because the defense is more scared of them running than throwing?

I'm seeing another one of these option QBs that looks to run first; then makes throws to wide open receivers. What makes this guy so much better than all the other option QBs that have been drafted recently?

Honestly, what am I missing?

Exactly my thinking. I could make a list of 20 guys that played this same style in college over the past couple decades and few ever did anything in the NFL.

I must be watching a different game than some of you. Newton's passing ability has positively surprised me. He's got a much stronger arm than I thought and is pretty accurate. Potentially, I see a Roethlisberger with better speed. The ability to keep a play alive is why a lot of those guys are wide open and also the fact that you have to respect his ability to run.

This is the 3d game I've seen this year. But as I understand it, his career is only about 12 game long.

As you stated, he's successful (in particular on the last TD) because of this threat to run. Do you really think that translates to the NFL? Other than Vick, what QBs get to throw to wide open guys all the time because the defense is more scared of them running than throwing?

Exactly my thinking. I could make a list of 20 guys that played this same style in college over the past couple decades and few ever did anything in the NFL.

He's plenty elusive, although he has only shown flashes in this game. He's extremely powerful, and I honestly think it will translate to the NFL in so far as at 6'6" 250 and country strong, he will be able to break tackles and fall forward. This is not just an option QB, he's a freak.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think he is anything close to a lock. I think he's a 50-50 prospect. If I were the Bills I would go defense and not him. So I'm not just a Newton bandwagoner. But what I do think is that he's a very accurate passer, with a cannon. He's nothing like Vince Young or Tebow because he's got NFL mechanics.

I also find it pretty funny that people seem to blame him for guys getting wide open. Yet everyone is all over Fairly for two stud plays where no one blocked him at all. Newton's thrown 10 excellent passes in the first half, including half a dozen downfield on ropes. Both TDs were excellent passes (with the second one being a great play to avoid an unblocked rusher, step aside and open effortlessly then locate and throw accurately off one leg.

He's 6'6" 250, runs a 4.5, has great balance, strength and escapability. Throws really well already on the run.

We just have no idea if he can read NFL defenses and make quick enough decisions under NFL pressure. And we won't know it for a few years.

Furthermore, those guys (the Vick's and VY's) may have have lots of success, but it doesn't seem to continue through the playoffs. So, like I said.. I'm not sold.

I must be watching a different game than some of you. Newton's passing ability has positively surprised me. He's got a much stronger arm than I thought and is pretty accurate. Potentially, I see a Roethlisberger with better speed. The ability to keep a play alive is why a lot of those guys are wide open and also the fact that you have to respect his ability to run.

That's it.

Um, any QB playing the Bills...was this a trick question ;)?

(I think Newton looks OK. But he's not impressing me as a once-a-decade, can't miss, sure-fire Franchise QB we MUST seize with our rare #3)