Steve Johnson Should Not Blame God

NaPolian8693

Stevie is an emotional guy who wears his heart on his sleeve. There's not a person on Earth who hasn't said something similar out of frustration so anyone bashing him for this really needs to do some self-reflection and get a clue.

Most of us would let out a "Jesus Christ" and that would be it.

Anyway, if Stevie is praising Him 24 hrs a day, is that why he couldn't speak to the cops after ML plowed into that Canadian?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure who he is actually blaming in is Tweet, but he only has one person to blame and that is Stevie himself. Like Cris Carter said this morning on ESPN Radio, he didn't drop the ball on sunday, he dropped it on monday, tuesday, wednesday and thursday by letting his success from the Bengal game get to his head and not concentrating on football this past week. He spent all week on talk shows, radio shows, acting like a celebrity and not a young inexperienced football player. Maybe now he can throw away the ignorant T-shirt he wore last week, get a real haircut and shave that retarded crap off of his head and focus on football. If someone doesn't corral this young talented football player, his ego will get the best of him, and will will have our own Ocho Stinko on our hands. I just hope he learns from this and his ego is somewhat knocked down a peg or two for costing his team a win over a much superior team, that would have went miles for the entire teams confidence.

Edited by billsfreak

Well, Ryan Clark said it was a perfect route that got him beat, so responsibility, check.

Respect, listen to any interview the guy has given and the way he speaks of others, check.

And humility, yeah I'd say he's got this covered too. Listen to his post-game interviews.

Has it been this long since we've had an honest-to-god (oops) entertaining star here in Buffalo that we don't know how to react? Every little thing is under the microscope here. :wallbash:

There is no problem unless he creates one. He dropped the ball. Now he needs to pull himself up and resume his career.

If he is under a microscope then he put himself there. Please recall the Minuteman celebration in New England and and the Tee-shirt celebration in Cinci? He has already been fined twice for his antics. Now he is leaning a painful lesson in humility.

Coach Gailey said a lot when he said these words and they were directed at Stevie Johnson: “In this business, there’s two types of people — the humble and the humbled — and if you’re not in the first group, you’ll be in the second group at some point in time,”

Well Stevie says he is now humbled. Good news Mr. Johnson, so please stop the premeditated celebrations and the tweetings and dedicate yourself to your craft. If you do that you will have a rewarding career. (See Examples: Jerry Rice and Andre Reed.)

From his Twitter:

He really should accept the responsibility solely on his shoulders, and not blame God. Also, he should probably leave God out of this entirely. Some religious people may find that Tweet offensive.

Mods I know there is another thread about this but it has a subject line that is kinda misleading

I hope this is a joke.

We're always complaining about players thanking God when they win a game. Blaming God for the loss is way overdue. Besides no Bills fan can possibly believe in God.

First he is upset, he is frustrated and with that if we accept that he was tweeting to GOD, which would be pretty cool if God has a twitter account. Ask yourself, is Stevie's tweet blaming God any worse than all those players wearing their faith on their sleeve and thanking "my lord and savior for helping me win (fill in the blank).

The God I know could give a rip about who wins a game.

I think blaming God for the drop is awesome! It made my day, after a tough loss...just another reason to dig Steve Johnson...

As for religious people possibly finding it offensive...boo hoo! Never hear any of them get offended when athletes praise the God, for letting them win a big game, or make a big play. If the big man and his followers want to accept the praise, they gotta take the criticism...this NFL is a tough business, nobody is above reproach.

My thoughts, exactly.

That actually makes a lot more sense...and I believe you...but it was funner when I thought he was blaming God!

Indeed

There is no problem unless he creates one. He dropped the ball. Now he needs to pull himself up and resume his career.

If he is under a microscope then he put himself there. Please recall the Minuteman celebration in New England and and the Tee-shirt celebration in Cinci? He has already been fined twice for his antics. Now he is leaning a painful lesson in humility.

Coach Gailey said a lot when he said these words and they were directed at Stevie Johnson: “In this business, there’s two types of people — the humble and the humbled — and if you’re not in the first group, you’ll be in the second group at some point in time,”

Well Stevie says he is now humbled. Good news Mr. Johnson, so please stop the premeditated celebrations and the tweetings and dedicate yourself to your craft. If you do that you will have a rewarding career. (See Examples: Jerry Rice and Andre Reed.)

The celebrations are fun from a kid who loves playing the game.

As for his twittering? It has absolutely zero effect on his play on the field. Guess what? He drops that ball whether or not he has a twitter account, a facebook account, a myspace account, a bank account, a playstation, etc. That stuff doesn't matter, and the people that make it a big deal make themselves look foolish and childish.

From his Twitter:

He really should accept the responsibility solely on his shoulders, and not blame God. Also, he should probably leave God out of this entirely. Some religious people may find that Tweet offensive.

Mods I know there is another thread about this but it has a subject line that is kinda misleading

Dear Stevie,

Thank you for bein accountable! Forget all this crap about "keep your head up," "let it go," etc, etc...Like you said, "never forget it," keep it in the back of your mind and remember it! Use it to make yourself better. It's refreshing to hear someone else shoulder the blame aside from a PC QB. The great ones never forget...the great ones go out the next week and run the same route and make the catch! Good for you Stevie! You''re a good WR that came from nothing and out of no where. Every drop, every missed assignment, blown route, missed block downfield should stay fresh and be used to make yourself better! Here's to you becomming great!

From his Twitter:

Why should he leave God out of it? Players thank God when they do good things. If God gets the credit for the good stuff, they he should probably accept responsibility for the drop as well. In fact I think God is a me-first player and should be cut.

Seriously though, I've never understood why any of these players bring God into it at all. It's real life and it's gotta go one way or the other. The game itself creates moments that allow players to rise to the challenge or fall on their butt. People should accept the fact that they win and lose on their own and God has nothing to do with it. I certainly don't thank or admonish God when I win/lose at the craps tables.

Actually he was responding to the fans that were blasting him, after he praised them...Not God.

Really dramatic thread, though.

If true (it's possible) then it was either light-hearted fun with the fans right after the loss and I say "Screw you" or it is serious anger at the fans and I say "Screw you."

STFU and get to work funny boy.

It's called freedom of speech! I am so sick of reading these threads where you, or someone you know, or someone else may get offended by what someone said...seems like he's thinking aloud and posting his convo w/God.

More exactly in terms of what someone noted generally before.

Freedom of speech is a right guaranteed to us in the Constitution not giving all the ability to say or believe whatever they want without comment from anyone else.

It guarantees that GOVERNMENT SHALL MAKE NO LAW abridged free speech, establishing a religion and stuff like that.

Unless the police want to arrest or hassle Stevie in any way about his speech or hassle someone about how they talk about his speech then this not a freedom of speech issue at all.

As for his twittering? It has absolutely zero effect on his play on the field. Guess what? He drops that ball whether or not he has a twitter account, a facebook account, a myspace account, a bank account, a playstation, etc. That stuff doesn't matter, and the people that make it a big deal make themselves look foolish and childish.

Your opinions are your opinions Ramius.

The celebrations are fun to some people but to others they look "foolish and childish".

Tweeting (as opposed to "twittering") may indeed have zero effect on his play on the field. I kind of doubt it though.

I have no problem with him tweeting, or playing video games, or rapping, or doing any of that stuff. I understand that it is part of today's culture. I have three kids ranging in age from 18 to 22, I see it. It does not make me look "foolish or childish" just because I think he should lay low and channel his energy on football.

Your opinions are your opinions Ramius.

The celebrations are fun to some people but to others they look "foolish and childish".

Tweeting (as opposed to "twittering") may indeed have zero effect on his play on the field. I kind of doubt it though.

I have no problem with him tweeting, or playing video games, or rapping, or doing any of that stuff. I understand that it is part of today's culture. I have three kids ranging in age from 18 to 22, I see it. It does not make me look "foolish or childish" just because I think he should lay low and channel his energy on football.

No, what's childish and foolish is thinking that somehow a twitter message sent on a random tuesday somehow affected Stevie's game on sunday. You come across as someone who can't accept a loss and is simply looking to attack a guy who made some mistakes during the game, because you're mad we lost. Twittering didn't affect Stevie's concentration anymore than reading the paper on thursday evening or sending a text message to a friend on monday afternoon did. But, please elaborate on why you feel that his twittering caused him to drop the pass.

Do you think about your job 24/7? Should you "lay low and concentrate on whatever it is you do in your life?" No. You go out and live your life and have fun and do what you enjoy and sometimes **** just happens. Plain and simple.

I swear some of you guys think these players need to be treated like prisoners who should do nothing but watch film all day every day and never show a single bit of emotion on the field. Stevie has fun on the field, and its nice to see someone enjoy the game, especially someone who has started to blossom into a real threat for this team. His personality isn't going to change, so if you don't like it you'll just have to get used to it. I enjoy that these guys aren't stoic old codgers who have nothing better to do than yell at the kids for having fun.

Edited by Ramius

No, what's childish and foolish is thinking that somehow a twitter message sent on a random tuesday somehow affected Stevie's game on sunday. You come across as someone who can't accept a loss and is simply looking to attack a guy who made some mistakes during the game, because you're mad we lost. Twittering didn't affect Stevie's concentration anymore than reading the paper on thursday evening or sending a text message to a friend on monday afternoon did. But, please elaborate on why you feel that his twittering caused him to drop the pass.

Do you think about your job 24/7? Should you "lay low and concentrate on whatever it is you do in your life?" No. You go out and live your life and have fun and do what you enjoy and sometimes **** just happens. Plain and simple.

I swear some of you guys think these players need to be treated like prisoners who should do nothing but watch film all day every day and never show a single bit of emotion on the field. Stevie has fun on the field, and its nice to see someone enjoy the game, especially someone who has started to blossom into a real threat for this team. His personality isn't going to change, so if you don't like it you'll just have to get used to it. I enjoy that these guys aren't stoic old codgers who have nothing better to do than yell at the kids for having fun.

My sentiments exactly. Good post.

Correct... do any of you honestly think he's thinking about anything other than catching that ball as that play is happening? Hell no... he just plain dropped it. Didn't matter what other "accounts" he has... to think he was distracted by something outside of football at that moment is straight silly. I don't know about any of you, but when I play any sport I'm not hearing, seeing, thinking, or being effected by anything outside of the game (except golf of course, when I'm usually starting to feel the effects of my 8th beer, but that's a different story). His post game vent however...well, that's between him and "whomever" he was referring to. I feel for the guy, and I truly think he'll rebound nicely... he's been patient enough for his shining star to brighten... being humbled can only help him in the long run...

do any of you honestly think he's thinking about anything other than catching that ball as that play is happening?

Perhaps he was thinking about his endzone celebration, his postgame press conference, and the media frenzy that would surround his rising star - and he didn't maintain intense concentration as a result.

Memo to Steve

From God.

Re..Dropped pass.

Hey butterfingers,

I create heaven and earth, get you through high school and college, get Fitz enough time to throw the freakiing ball, have it land on your chest so that all you have to do is stick your mitts up and walk untouched into the freaking end zone....AND YOU BLAME ME WHEN YOU DROP IT???????

Get real Stevie...you're starting to tee me off, and when I get tee'd its plagues, locusts floods and all that good stuff....Come to think of it I think I turned someone into a pillar of stone years back. Would be a good idea to turn the REST of you into freaking stone to go with those useless mitts of yours. God.

P.S. Better get right with me before next Sunday or you'll be riding the pine, Bozo.

I sincerely believe that Stevie was making a joke by posting this tweet. he was making fun of the way other athletes give god all the credit when they have a good performance. Why not blame god for a bad performance. Very witty Stevie. Good show. The sooner all these goof balls stop wasting so much energy on 2000 year old mythology the sooner our society progresses to the next level.

You make some very good points. My recent posts will indicate that I support Johnson and I am pulling for him. He surely looks to be a budding star in the making.

Being a reasonable person, I do not think that a twitter message in Tuesday causes a dropped pass on Sunday. Give me a little credit please. It is hard to argue that he was not distracted all week long with many things (including fines and TV interviews) and that coincidentally he did not have a good game.

If the Bills are ever going to take the next step they will need playmakers to come up big on a consistent basis. Three overtime games and so far no one has come up with the big play. Moral victories and close games are going to get old soon.

I fully accept the fact that the game has changed and that players have changed with it.

Peace. Go Bills!

Memo to Steve

From God.

Re..Dropped pass.

Hey butterfingers,

I create heaven and earth, get you through high school and college, get Fitz enough time to throw the freakiing ball, have it land on your chest so that all you have to do is stick your mitts up and walk untouched into the freaking end zone....AND YOU BLAME ME WHEN YOU DROP IT???????

Get real Stevie...you're starting to tee me off, and when I get tee'd its plagues, locusts floods and all that good stuff....Come to think of it I think I turned someone into a pillar of stone years back. Would be a good idea to turn the REST of you into freaking stone to go with those useless mitts of yours. God.

P.S. Better get right with me before next Sunday or you'll be riding the pine, Bozo.

I guess, if you're a believer, that the gifts God bestowed on him that led to his even having a chance to catch or drop a ball in the NFL mean nothing. Stevie, you have a tremendous amount to be thankful for. One would hope that your tweet was merely an act of an emotionally upset individual who will soon see and appreciate the many gifts he has been given. Yet, with today's "it's all about me" society, one can easily see it spilling over into one's religious beliefs and practices.

Memo to Steve

From God.

Re..Dropped pass.

Hey butterfingers,

You bring up an interesting point. On the one hand, God created and runs everything. The entire freakin' universe. Why would he give a **** about a game?

On the other hand...he's freakin' God, fer cryin' out loud. He's omniscient and omnipotent. Big as the universe might be, it's still pretty damn small compared to him. He's got to get bored with the whole thing from time to time, and maybe he just said "Screw it, I need a break, I'm gonna mess with Bills fans again...oh, look, Stevie Johnson...the ball's in your hands, aaaaaaaaand...not so much."

I'm really torn on this one. Is God, as God, not to be bothered with something as trivial as a football game? Or does he get so bored with the mind-numbing sameness of being a Deity that he !@#$s with Johnson just for ****s and grins?

Edited by DC Tom

Perhaps he was thinking about his endzone celebration, his postgame press conference, and the media frenzy that would surround his rising star - and he didn't maintain intense concentration as a result.

Yeah, he was thinking about his endzone celebration last week so much that he got to the endzone and could perform it. Then he was thinking so much about his next one and being a star that he got to the endzone twice more in the same game. :wallbash:

I really don't know why this is all a surprise to people. Since he has been here he has shown a talent for getting open and a penchant for dropping passes. he was benched earlier in the season for a couple games. He was ALWAYS a free spirit and fun attention getter from day one. He named himself Stevie Styles. He's a rapper. He changes his hair more than a 13 year old girl changes moods. And we should be happy about it. The guy is likely to be a very good WR in this league with a chance to be a star, as well as being an emotional, good guy. What's not to like?

As I said in another thread, which would you prefer, a WR who gets open 33% of the time and catches the ball 95% of the time, or a WR who gets open 50-60% of the time and catches it 90% of the time? I'll take Stve Johnson the way he is playing the last 6 games including yesterday every time. He's going to drop some balls. He's also going to make a huge number of plays and get in the endzone.

I'll bet anyone right now $100 that he ties or breaks the all time Bills record for TDs for a WR this year, his first year of playing.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

This is really simple to explain.

There are one or more players on the Pittsburgh Steelers that praise Him harder than you.

Keep practicing though, and soon you will praise the hardest, and you will get to win the Super Bowl as a result of your hard praising.

Edited by BILLS_ROC

People are making fun of religion in the shoutbox now. It's really quite crass.

My personal beliefs are in atheism. However, to paint with such a broad brush as to categorize the BILLIONS that practice organized religion as "stupid" or "clueless" is really quite narrow-minded and immature.

A true atheist is respectful of other's beliefs, and does not make fun of religion. Such crass behavior allows religious folk to easily dismiss you and tune you out.

I'll bet anyone right now $100 that he ties or breaks the all time Bills record for TDs for a WR this year, his first year of playing.

What kind of bet is that? If he doesn't make it now, he's flushed himself down a toilet.

I think blaming God for the drop is awesome! It made my day, after a tough loss...just another reason to dig Steve Johnson...

btw- at the bar today, it was kind of weird/creepy hearing a bunch "kids of all ages" yelling at "Stevie" throughout the game...this "Stevie" thing has got to stop...it works in hockey, 'cuz it is Canadian... :rolleyes::thumbsup:

As for religious people possibly finding it offensive...boo hoo! Never hear any of them get offended when athletes praise the God, for letting them win a big game, or make a big play. If the big man and his followers want to accept the praise, they gotta take the criticism...this NFL is a tough business, nobody is above reproach.

Allah?

Hahaha I have often thought the same thing

I sincerely believe that Stevie was making a joke by posting this tweet. he was making fun of the way other athletes give god all the credit when they have a good performance. Why not blame god for a bad performance. Very witty Stevie. Good show. The sooner all these goof balls stop wasting so much energy on 2000 year old mythology the sooner our society progresses to the next level.

That's what I see.