Offensive Line

bisonbrigade

Over the past four or five games the Offensive line play has been amazingly playing pretty damn good even with the revolving door at OT. I am not saying there's no room for improvement but the real focus of next years draft should be DE/OLB pass rushers on defense. If QB Luck is there take him, otherwise draft three DE/OLB in the first Three rounds. Load up on the front seven and draft some OT in the 4th round and later.

Over the past four or five games the Offensive line play has been amazingly playing pretty damn good even with the revolving door at OT. I am not saying there's no room for improvement but the real focus of next years draft should be DE/OLB pass rushers on defense. If QB Luck is there take him, otherwise draft three DE/OLB in the first Three rounds. Load up on the front seven and draft some OT in the 4th round and later.

I agree the offensive line has looked better and the Rt position needs to be addressed. Once I re-watched the game last night, I realized Hang is a pretty good center. I have always been one for moving Wood to center, but after watching these last couple of games against good competition I think Wood should stay at RG. Let him beef up a little more and we would have a well gelled interior line. Just need that RT. Anybody that says Bell cant play inst watching the game this season. Both regimes have liked this kid a lot and its starting to show why.

I agree the offensive line has looked better and the Rt position needs to be addressed. Once I re-watched the game last night, I realized Hang is a pretty good center. I have always been one for moving Wood to center, but after watching these last couple of games against good competition I think Wood should stay at RG. Let him beef up a little more and we would have a well gelled interior line. Just need that RT. Anybody that says Bell cant play inst watching the game this season. Both regimes have liked this kid a lot and its starting to show why.

I will be the first to eat crow about D. Bell... He is looking very good and has seemed to fix his habit for getting penalties... With that said I still would like to draft an RT atleast one in the first 3 rounds... first 2 if Luck is not there. I think if wwe use a #1 overall on a QB we need to add depths to the OL to protect him... Plus I am still little scared about going DL or D in general after the Maybin Whinter pick... i know i know new front office and so on but still.

I go:

1. Luck if he is there

2. LB

3. RT

4. DE

4. LB

ect....

The O-line has been a surprising area of improvement over the past month. They still have trouble with picking up some basic defensive line stunts but that should come in time as the unit works together and improves coordination and communication that can only come from experience. Overall, a positive. Adding some starting talent and bench strength to the tackle position next offseason should be a priority.

Offensive statistics since the bye week point to improvement with 3rd down conversion rate, number of offensive snaps, yards gained, and time of possession.

O-line improvement may be the single largest contributor to the incremental improvements in the defense too. Instead of being totally gassed by the 4th quarter the D is getting more than a few minutes of clock-time between series.

I will be the first to eat crow about D. Bell... He is looking very good and has seemed to fix his habit for getting penalties...

I'm in France and was watching the game on NFL Gamepass on wireless - in other words, the transmission was a little ragged and jumpy for most of the game. From what I could tell, however the one Bell moment that got airplay was the head-slap takedown Bell had on his opposing lineman (sorry, I didn't catch his name). Oh, my God, he looked like Deacon Jones! If Demetrius Bell is creating a highlight film to show his kids sometime in the future, I hope that hit is included. Honestly, it was funnier than hell.

Edited by Whites Bay

I will be the first to eat crow about D. Bell... He is looking very good and has seemed to fix his habit for getting penalties...

+1. I thought he was too big of a project for us to undertake, but he is proof positive that you can still find gems in the rough. he has been playing VERY well. Well enough that RT is probably the only position of severe need on the Oline.

The O line is better than earlier this season but not by as much as you think. The Tight End is completely out of the passing game because when they do use one he is helping to block. I think that Bell needs to continue to improve or I would still be seeking two tackles for next year. Last week when he really needed to give his QB 2 seconds Bell was eaten alive.

i know you fitz nuts dont get it but we need a true franchaise QB first priority,nothing has changed.

fitz will make a great back up QB to help out our rookie stud who will start from day one mark my words.

It's Fitz more than anything else. He is getting hit. Alot.

The O-line has looked markedly better, but still . allows too many hits to Fitz. Also, they need to be able to grind it out on the ground. I think we're so conditioned to seeing a bad O-line that an average performance looks better than it should. The Bills at least need a tackle, some more quality depth, and time for the unit to grow.

The O-line has looked markedly better, but still . allows too many hits to Fitz. Also, they need to be able to grind it out on the ground. I think we're so conditioned to seeing a bad O-line that an average performance looks better than it should. The Bills at least need a tackle, some more quality depth, and time for the unit to grow.

One of the primary reasons for the improved pass protection of the OL is that Fitz is very decisive in his decision making. He keeps his eyes downfield and quickly goes through his progressions. That is something that neither TE or Losman was able to do very well.

If Fitz had the physical skills to match his mental skills he would be a premier player.

Hmmmm, will Gaither be available this year? I know he's been injured, but if healthy (big if) he certainly would upgrade our line, right or left tackle--with Bell the opposite side. I don't think help will come through the draft, there are no stud tackles this year.

Hmmmm, will Gaither be available this year? I know he's been injured, but if healthy (big if) he certainly would upgrade our line, right or left tackle--with Bell the opposite side. I don't think help will come through the draft, there are no stud tackles this year.

His injury and lack of motivation would terrify me. This is a very young oline and it's great that they are getting valuable time together. It should only help them improve and hopefully we remain injury free.

Since you rewatched the game, how did Wrotto look at RT?

Improving. Wouldn't call them effective.

PTR

This.

Run blocking is still incredibly suspect, and Fitz (as I said SHOULD have been the case had TE been even remotely competent) has single-handedly made them look world's better. Given how they looked plass blocking for ****-for-brains, any improvement was inevitable with a change to the QB.

Great, just tell us who it is?? I'm all for taking a franchise QB #1 IF you can be guaranteed he will be in a top 10 QB in 5 years and be a top level for another five years after that. Realize there's no promises at any positions but top QB's seem to have a higher failure rate than other positions.

Why?? My opinion is that it's easier to hide the weaknesses of college QB's. Plus many have stacked teams around them i.e. Tim Tebow. In the pro's it's a much more level playing field. Defenses have 10X the time to study opponetns, figure out their weaknesses, etc. make supposed stars look average. For those reasons, I'd feel safer picking a DE or LB. Actually what I'd really like to see is some team who really has QB problems, say Az, or even Minn once Brett really does retire for the 15th time, make a trade with the Bills for extra picks.

Looking at the draft pick value chart, assuming the Bills were to have the #2 overall pick, to move up from even #4 to #2 would likely cost the team their #1, #2, and #3. To jump from #10 to #2 would cost all of the above, plus likely their #1 the following season. More than likely there will be some team desperate to move up to pick one of these "can't miss" QB's Not that the Bill's don't also need one, but a team like Minn doesn't have as many other needs as the Bills do, so they may not need the extra draft picks as much and would more likely give them up.

Is Fitz a great QB? no! Is he top 15? maybe Is he serviceable? yes! If a team can win the SB with Trent Dilfer, and a great defense, you can build a winning team around Fitz with good creative coaching which I think they now have in Chan, and a solid team around him. An extra 1st, 2nd, and 3rd could accelerate that greatly.

SD and Cinn are two team who over the past 20 years or so have used many low round draft picks on QB's only to see one after another fail. No one saw these guys not succeeding.

i know you fitz nuts dont get it but we need a true franchaise QB first priority,nothing has changed.

fitz will make a great back up QB to help out our rookie stud who will start from day one mark my words.

The o-line is improving but still not a quality line capabile of dominating a game (think 90's). The Right OT position has been woeful.

One thing that helps this line is Fitz. Fitz has speed, vision, and he is just plain tough.

Lots of other QBs would be much worse playing behind this line.

At a minimum we need to add more talent to the tackle positions.