A Few Thoughts About The Game

!) Make no effing mistake. I will B word and moan until the cows come home about the Bills, but today I am particularly proud to be a Bills Fan. They gave it all they had and I appreciate this.

2) Whitner fans/apologists....come out come out wherever you are!!! He gave up 3 TDs, dropped a pick six, and sucked against the run. Let me make myself clear.....he is a suited up Aaron Maybin. Donte Whitner sucks. Yes, he sucks a$$. I am officially calling for him to be cut after this game. I actually care more about Mr. Wilson being rich than I care about carrying this piece of schitt on our beloved football team. There is no turning back. Donte Whitner is a bag of schitt and once again, he sucks.

3) I was looking forward to this comment the most.....Demetrius Bell played well today. I always thought he got too much slack on this board, but today he played his position quite well. I focused on him specifically on every single play, and he held up. He did his job, and if he can improve (which he will need to), he will give us the opportunity to go QB and RT with early picks, which is how teams win football games. In any event, I have been VERY tough on Bell, and he did a great job today. I will continue to watch. :thumbsup:

4) Hats off to Fitz and Evans. Seriously, they really connected.

5) I am not a big fan of Stevie Johnson, but he too had a great game. If he can develop better hands (after all, he is a possession receiver), he will catch TDs.

6) Kelsay was killing me today, but I am GLAD they extended his sorry ass if it came down to him or Whitner. Yeah....I said this too.

7) The difference at RT was huge. Effing HUGE!!!!!

8) Spiller? He is talented but he was a complete waste of a #9.

9) Gailey? He, despite the record, is 1000% better than Dickie Jauron imo, and I also prefer Nix over Levy fwiw.

10) Bills Fans are the greatest fans of any team in any sport.

11) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you've started this up again! :thumbsup:

I agree that we need an upgrade at SS. I don't even think Whitner's fans--assuming he has any left after today--argue that that's a strong point of his. I wouldn't mind seeing George Wilson out there again. Not that he's necessarily the long-term answer, but he'd probably be an upgrade.

I'm glad to hear that Bell played well enough today to earn your mark of approval. Hopefully that will continue, because having one less hole to worry about would be huge!

I can't quite make heads or tails of Fitz. He's playing a lot better than I'd expected, and like you I take my hat off to him for what he achieved today.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll jump to Whitner's defense. He blew it and got turned inside out on the first TD to heap. He also should have held on to the pick 6 (nevermind the fact that he made a great and jumped the route). BUT, on the second TD to Heap, Scott was standing around not covering Heap either. Who's assignment was it? I know that the default when anything bad happens in the secondary to to blame Whitner, but Scott was just as much at fault, if not more than Donte.

Also, on the flea flicker, there were 10 others on defense that got fooled by the play, INCLUDING THE CB WHO WAS SUPPOSED TO COVER BOLDIN. That was a good play by the Ravens, but go ahead and blame it all on Whitner if that makes you feel better.

5) I am not a big fan of Stevie Johnson, but he too had a great game. If he can develop better hands (after all, he is a possession receiver), he will catch TDs.

I would start liking him a lot more if I were you...dude is getting ready to bust out big time...he is always open and is very slippery in the open field...he gets deep and beats his man a lot...stats with Fitz the last 4 games over a full season: 76 catches, 1204 yards and 20 TDs...

Johnson is getting ready to have a breakout year and be a 1,000 yard, 12 TD receiver THIS year...watch and see, I said it first...

Fitz said he is the best WR he has ever played with in the redzone at getting space for himself and getting open...that says a lot considering he was in Cincy with Chad Ocho Cinco adn TJ Housh...

I'll jump to Whitner's defense. He blew it and got turned inside out on the first TD to heap. He also should have held on to the pick 6 (nevermind the fact that he made a great and jumped the route). BUT, on the second TD to Heap, Scott was standing around not covering Heap either. Who's assignment was it? I know that the default when anything bad happens in the secondary to to blame Whitner, but Scott was just as much at fault, if not more than Donte.

Also, on the flea flicker, there were 10 others on defense that got fooled by the play, INCLUDING THE CB WHO WAS SUPPOSED TO COVER BOLDIN. That was a good play by the Ravens, but go ahead and blame it all on Whitner if that makes you feel better.

Isn't Whitner supposed to be a SAFETY?

Edited by SoCal-Surf

If Fitz keeps playing this well through out the season then we may not want to go QB with the first pick this year.

Bell and Howard showed promise and this could also be another area that we may not have to address early on.

Steve Johnson, I've always liked him. He produced in college and he scored TD's his rookie year with us when given the opportunity. Last year he never got those opportunities and this year he started off slowly but this kid can play. Today he was catching everything, and they were all with his hands, plucking catches out of the air, running well with the ball after the catch, creating great separation between him and the DB. Also if you heard the announcer today, he said that Fitz was talking about Stevie and how he is the best WR he has ever played with in regards to creating separation in the endzone.

We spoke about this a couple weeks ago Bill, I stated to you that all he does is catch TD's. He's a keeper, and when you couple him with Nelson's emergence and the promise of Easley, along with Parrish and Evans, this should end up being an area of strength for us.

As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't mind every single draft pick spent on defense. We need it and we need it badly.

Nice read Bill

I fear you may be right about Whitner, though he did make some plays early on and I don't believe the flea flicker was his guy...he was the "help".... bit didnt really.. I think Stevie J is progressing quite nicely...not sure why you don't like him ... How about Roscoe for that matter?

Spiller is going to be fine....

Edited by 34-78-83

IMO. Whitner is a decent player. Not nearly as bad as a lot of posters here seem to think he is. He actually makes a lot of decent plays. That said, the difference between a decent player and a good or great player is signature plays. And the reason Whitner is not a very good or great player is precisely because he dropped that pick six. He has to make that play. That makes it a 21 point game and in all likelihood the Bills win. I've personally defended Whitner a bit, maybe more than I should, but he HAS to make that play because it is a touchdown. If he makes that play, the Bills probably win. Good players usually make that play. Great players almost always make that play (if they are in position to). Whitner is not a great player because he simply does not make great plays.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

IMO. Whitner is a decent player. Not nearly as bad as a lot of posters here seem to think he is. He actually makes a lot of decent plays. That said, the difference between a decent player and a good or great player is signature plays. And the reason Whitner is not a very good or great player is precisely because he dropped that pick six. He has to make that play. That makes it a 21 point game and in all likelihood the Bills win. I've personally defended Whitner a bit, maybe more than I should, but he HAS to make that play because it is a touchdown. If he makes that play, the Bills probably win. Good plays usually make that play. Great players almost always make that play (if they are in position to). Whitner is not a great player because he simply does not make great plays.

In my view, that was the critical play of the game (along with the Spiller fumble), he makes that pick and we most likely win.

Nice read Bill

I fear you may be right about Whitner, though he did make some plays early on and I don't believe the flea flicker was his guy...he was the "help".... bit didnt really.. I think Stevie J is progressing quite nicely...not sure why you don't like him ... How about Roscoe for that matter?

Speaking of Roscoe, if we get good QB play and a line that can hold up like today, why can't Roscoe be a Wes Welker type receiver? You have Evans and Johnson for the long balls, and you would think Roscoe is quick enough to get separation on short routes.

Speaking of Roscoe, if we get good QB play and a line that can hold up like today, why can't Roscoe be a Wes Welker type receiver? You have Evans and Johnson for the long balls, and you would think Roscoe is quick enough to get separation on short routes.

Definitely

He's got some seriously good receiving skills and that quickness/ burst that can't be taught. He's a little fragile but thems the breaks...

Got to hand it to the offensive coaches for cleaning things up during the bye week. Linemen were actually moving their feet and giving up ground to maintain their pass protection. Pocket was narrower but intact. Previously, seems like the o-linemen stopped moving their feet when they made contact with defensive player. Didn't seem like too many missed assignments/penalties either.

I only caught the second half, but I noticed the more compressed-but-intact pockets too. The key thing was that Fitz seemed unfazed and was able to operate quickly and effectively under those circumstances.

2 points:

1. Donte plays with heart, but he's at a mismatch defending 6-5 tight ends. He's 5-10...by no means is he a great player, but I think he deserves more credit than most people give him because of his passion, and willingness to mix it up. As a DB he should not have as many tackles as he does.

2. Where are our LB's? They have not made an impact all year. This team is sorely lackng the ability to generate a pass rush and put pressure n the QB...this pressure is what generated all the INTs last yr...

2 points:

1. Donte plays with heart, but he's at a mismatch defending 6-5 tight ends. He's 5-10...by no means is he a great player, but I think he deserves more credit than most people give him because of his passion, and willingness to mix it up. As a DB he should not have as many tackles as he does.

2. Where are our LB's? They have not made an impact all year. This team is sorely lackng the ability to generate a pass rush and put pressure n the QB...this pressure is what generated all the INTs last yr...

Overall, I would agree with Bill (good to see your game day thoughts again). While not quite ready to blast Spiller into oblivion, I am a bit concerned with his continually bouncing his runs to the outside when it's obvious to all that he needs to cut it up field and take the 2, 3, or so yards available. He might even break one as well. I want to see a bit more run toughness from him.......

2 points:

On Point 1: How does Troy Polamalu or Bob Sanders do it? Both of those guys are in the 5'8-5'10 range and they're not victimized nearly as much. The reason is, IND and PIT both have a pass rush that allows them to make more plays in the secondary. Buffalo does not have one consistent threat to pressure QB's in their front 7. But I still don't see TE's scoring 7 TD's against Buffalo's secondary in 4 games.

A lot of fans love to cite the tackle statistic as indicative of a player's success or failure. I would argue that DB's making a lot of tackles are doing so because the front 7 is so porous and/or the DB is bad and allows plenty of catches.

For my money, I'll draft pass rushers and get myself squared away there before even thinking of drafting a DB. We can see after years of the DJ regime that DB's without a pass rush are almost worthless in coverage. No pass rush and 4 HOF'ers in a secondary would be hard to stop average passing teams.

On Point 1: How does Troy Polamalu or Bob Sanders do it? Both of those guys are in the 5'8-5'10 range and they're not victimized nearly as much. The reason is, IND and PIT both have a pass rush that allows them to make more plays in the secondary. Buffalo does not have one consistent threat to pressure QB's in their front 7. But I still don't see TE's scoring 7 TD's against Buffalo's secondary in 4 games.

A lot of fans love to cite the tackle statistic as indicative of a player's success or failure. I would argue that DB's making a lot of tackles are doing so because the front 7 is so porous and/or the DB is bad and allows plenty of catches.

For my money, I'll draft pass rushers and get myself squared away there before even thinking of drafting a DB. We can see after years of the DJ regime that DB's without a pass rush are almost worthless in coverage. No pass rush and 4 HOF'ers in a secondary would be hard to stop average passing teams.

Bob Sanders doesn't do it. He's hurt more often than Poz is. You're right about the front 7 though.

8) Spiller? He is talented but he was a complete waste of a #9.

And why is this? Are you thinking about 2010 value and you are sure that Bulaga would have us at 1-5? Or you are thinking that he is incapable of rushing more? Is it his 4.3 YPC that is bugging you?

Way too soon to get down on Spiller. There is nobody in the draft who would make this team good (although I would like to have Bradford or Suh), so that draft is about getting players who can help this team over the next few years total. I think Spiller is definitely in that category.

Also the quick default reply by me: Chris Johnson as a rookie was held under 75 yards 8 out of 15 times as a rookie, despite getting the ball lots.

I am disappointed that Chan isn't getting him more involved, especially after a bye week and after Lynch leaving town, but to say he is a complete waste of a #9 you either need to wait a little, see him fail (I know he fumbled), or have a really strong player they passed on lighting it up. You know like the whole Maybin vs. Orakpo/Matthews/Oher. I don't see CJ there, and I don't see any evidence at all of a total waste.

And why is this? Are you thinking about 2010 value and you are sure that Bulaga would have us at 1-5? Or you are thinking that he is incapable of rushing more? Is it his 4.3 YPC that is bugging you?

Way too soon to get down on Spiller. There is nobody in the draft who would make this team good (although I would like to have Bradford or Suh), so that draft is about getting players who can help this team over the next few years total. I think Spiller is definitely in that category.

Also the quick default reply by me: Chris Johnson as a rookie was held under 75 yards 8 out of 15 times as a rookie, despite getting the ball lots.

I am disappointed that Chan isn't getting him more involved, especially after a bye week and after Lynch leaving town, but to say he is a complete waste of a #9 you either need to wait a little, see him fail (I know he fumbled), or have a really strong player they passed on lighting it up. You know like the whole Maybin vs. Orakpo/Matthews/Oher. I don't see CJ there, and I don't see any evidence at all of a total waste.

Funny thing you neglected to mention about Chris Johnson's 2008 campaign: He carried 251 times for 1228 yards and 9 TD's. He also caught 43 passes for 260 yards and 1 TD. By my math, that's almost 300 touches from the LOS in a standard 16 game season, or about 19 touches a game. Spiller after today has 39 touches from the LOS in 6 games, or about 6 per game. That puts him on pace to get almost 100 touches by the end of the season.

No, Spiller isn't a bust and isn't even close. But if the HC can't involve the 9th overall pick more than 6 touches a game from the LOS, something is seriously wrong. Aside from that, the offensive put up some great numbers today against a formidable foe. Now, if they can only carry that through the rest of the season.

Edited by BillsVet

There will still be bad days ahead, but Bell will continue to improve. He's still very new to this game.

Maybe this is why 2 coaching staffs were so patient with him. I know that the bulk of the yardage yesterday was made in the air, but Bell provided a good deal of running room to the outside, and helped the Bills dominate the clock. This is huge when a defense is as bad as ours. There is certainly room for him to improve his game wrt bulking up and getting stronger. He already has all the agility he needs.

Nice read Bill

It isn't about "not liking" Johnson. He was dropping too many passes. A possession receiver needs to hold the ball. Yesterday, Johnson had a great game and gave us hope.

Roscoe? He can make tough, athletic catches and might be of more use as (or if) the team improves.