Another departure

JohnC

Sorry. I got caught up in other less sensible posts.

I suppose you could view it as rationalizing the 'bad behavior'. I personally don't find the tone of Internet message boards offensive, or I wouldn't choose to participate. I don't get offended when I get called a mouth-breathing entitled drunken uneducated kid. It's just the nature of the media.

While I don't think it is particularly kind to snipe with other posters, it is entertaining to some degree, and this is an entertainment medium.

I also don't think that everyone should be forced to use their real IDs on message boards either - it is the very heart of the spirit of the Internet to facilitate the free and open discourse between folks. It is also the nature of this medium that if you do not wish to subject yourself to the fruits of anonymity, you can keep your browser closed. I'd hate to see that changed or censored because sometimes people get their feelings hurt.

Agree? Disagree?

Ps I hate you and think you smell :)

I see your point, but I do think sniping shouldn't only be assessed solely on principle (for/against/in between), but on a case by case basis. For instance, John, who is a good guy, wrote an article about Ralph based on his interview with him. No one else has interviewed Ralph this year as far as I know. That's a nice get. Then, in the thread about the story - which John kindly participated in - the Chimp, who for years has been a caricature of everything bad about message boards, shifts the conversation to wishing for the death of Wilson (and of course coloring it with numerous expletives). John has rightly always had a problem with wishing for Wilson's death, and called him on it. It devolved from there. At a certain point, why bother participating?

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this board needs to break off into two groups one who enjoys the forum discussing the team, getting inside info and insights and intelligent civil debate and then the other for "thick skinned folks" who prefer to engage in mindless insults, hate mongering and generally unsophisticated blathering. Maybe the mods could steer the posters to one forum or another based on their posts.

Maybe this board needs to break off into two groups one who enjoys the forum discussing the team, getting inside info and insights and intelligent civil debate and then the other for "thick skinned folks" who prefer to engage in mindless insults, hate mongering and generally unsophisticated blathering. Maybe the mods could steer the posters to one forum or another based on their posts.

It already exists, it's called PPP.

I see your point, but I do think sniping shouldn't only be assessed solely on principle (for/against/in between), but on a case by case basis. For instance, John, who is a good guy, wrote an article about Ralph based on his interview with him. No one else has interviewed Ralph this year as far as I know. That's a nice get. Then, in the thread about the story - which John kindly participated in - the Chimp, who for years has been a caricature of everything bad about message boards, shifts the conversation to wishing for the death of Wilson (and of course coloring it with numerous expletives). John has rightly always had a problem with wishing for Wilson's death, and called him on it. It devolved from there. At a certain point, why bother participating?

I agree with what you're expressing in large part. There have been myriad threads where posters express a desire for the passing of Ralph Wilson. That isn't a particularly sensitive thing to write, but I do understand the sentiment from the myopic perspective of a football fan's message board. I don't think that when people are saying, "I wish Ralph Wilson would die", that they actually are meaning it from the standpoint of human life. Some might interpret it (rightly or wrongly) as such, but most people are probably just venting their frustration at the ownership of the team and are expressing their hope that things will be different under someone else's watch. At this point, the only way that the Bills will change ownership is upon Mr. Wilson's passing - that is a fact as far as we all know it. Because of this, we shouldn't be surprised to hear these seemingly insensitive remarks.

In the callous world of the Internet, you'll hear "I wish Ralph would die". That should probably be translated in your head into, "I wish the Bills had a new, dynamic ownership that would breathe life into this stagnant franchise". Crass as it may be, if you are offended by this type of speech, you are playing with fire hanging out on message boards.

Thin skinned because he's a professional writer on a fan message board being attacked by a bunch of internet tough guys??? Now JW is gone who used to actually give some great info unlike the idiots who just bash everyone's opinion for being different from theirs...

no, thin-skinned based on his reactions to what i thought were often innocuous comments. there were also some people who were downright rude to him. big deal. i don't get offended when someone uses three question marks like a hysterical woman, even though there is no reason to use three question marks.

no, thin-skinned based on his reactions to what i thought were often innocuous comments. there were also some people who were downright rude to him. big deal. i don't get offended when someone uses three question marks like a hysterical woman, even though there is no reason to use three question marks.

There is a difference between "my feelings are hurt, I'm taking my ball and going home", and "These retards aren't worth the time."

You all should consider that. "These retards aren't worth the time." Coming from a drunk hack AP writer who's entire career is built on riding Jerry Sullivan's coat tails. Doesn't exactly say a lot about you bozos, does it?

The board was better having writers like JW Lori and TG contribute, saying well it is an internet message board and ppl are just rude on internet message boards does nothing to improve the board. I didn't always agree with what any of these 3 said but I enjoyed their insights and appreciated the contributions to the board that they made. Let's face it Lori can write and articulate her ideas very well. JW was a bit looser and did add some opinions that put him more in the crosshairs of some ppl. TG well he did have some inside sources to the Bills and had answers to questions that I appreciated and I know others did too, I am not happy to see this become more stupid like the Bills official board but it seems that is the direction it has been taking lately.

I think that if public figures are going to come on here and add to our collective experience, we should be happy to have them and thankful for their participation. Sure you can debate and argue with someone on here and you can even have a bit of a nasty exchange in the heat of it. But to actually be rude even when you don't get the answer you were looking for or if you were just outwitted by the higher intellect,or by who has more information than you because you don't like to lose an debate in a public place is just stupid and really way too common of late. If we as posters on here don't treat each other with respect and like we would in person, because of this anonymity we all share. Then I could see how someone wouldn't want to deal with us esply when that person is known by us.

BTW when idiots get put on my ignore list that is it, and usually they tend to be off the board in the next 10 to 15 days. It is a good feature. There is no sense in arguing with stupidity, stupidity just doesn't know how.

There is a difference between "my feelings are hurt, I'm taking my ball and going home", and "These retards aren't worth the time."

You all should consider that. "These retards aren't worth the time." Coming from a drunk hack AP writer who's entire career is built on riding Jerry Sullivan's coat tails. Doesn't exactly say a lot about you bozos, does it?

i completely understand. you are a dog barking in the mirror. enjoy the rest of the thread.

If you can't handle criticism, you shouldn't be a writer producing opinion pieces for the public to consume.

If you can't handle what happens on an Internet-based message board, you shouldn't post on one.

If you think that someone saying that the opinion pieces you write and produce for public consumption are bad and feel that is "attacking" you, you probably aren't cut out for that line of work.

Don't put yourself in the public eye if you can't handle people disagreeing with your opinions/style/work product. How this is rocket science is beyond me.

JW can handle criticism. He gave as good as he got. But nobody should have to be insulted and personally attacked by an anonymous internet tough guy. I've had some pointed disagreements with JW, but would never attack him as he is excellent writer, journalist and was a good friend to this board. It's too bad we lost a class act like that. Pretty soon TSW will be just idiots shouting insults at each other. Hey JW, give us a shout from time to time. The vast majority of this board really enjoys your participation.

You are pathetic.

[quote name='akm0404' timestamp='1287160046' post='2007962'

In the callous world of the Internet, you'll hear "I wish Ralph would die". That should probably be translated in your head into, "I wish the Bills had a new, dynamic ownership that would breathe life into this stagnant franchise". Crass as it may be, if you are offended by this type of speech, you are playing with fire hanging out on message boards.

Getting away with stealing because I can't see you stealing is still stealing. Using the excuse that the exact words some posters use are not what the poster means and saying it is because he is frustrated and on the internet, is comparable to that because he is anonymous, so we don't see who is doing the insulting. They are still saying those words (which mean what they mean BTW)and it is just wrong to do so. If you don't have the moral compass to see it. Well I wonder if you have a good idea what is right and what is wrong.

I agree with what you're expressing in large part. There have been myriad threads where posters express a desire for the passing of Ralph Wilson. That isn't a particularly sensitive thing to write, but I do understand the sentiment from the myopic perspective of a football fan's message board. I don't think that when people are saying, "I wish Ralph Wilson would die", that they actually are meaning it from the standpoint of human life. Some might interpret it (rightly or wrongly) as such, but most people are probably just venting their frustration at the ownership of the team and are expressing their hope that things will be different under someone else's watch. At this point, the only way that the Bills will change ownership is upon Mr. Wilson's passing - that is a fact as far as we all know it. Because of this, we shouldn't be surprised to hear these seemingly insensitive remarks.

For most people, yes. I strongly suspect, however, that the Chimp would like Wilson to die.

And this post does not say a lot about you does it... This is why TG and JW left, stupid posts like this that attack them personally :censored:

Coming from a drunk hack AP writer who's entire career is built on riding Jerry Sullivan's coat tails. Doesn't exactly say a lot about you bozos, does it?

Real nice. Way to elevate the discourse. You're the reason the board has gone downhill and drives away meek posters.

What else would you expect from a pedantic supercilious anal orifice?

Which is precisely why the owner of this site issued a point of emphasis on this topic earlier this year:

It would be nice if this was in the terms of service statement and the moderators would have done something about it when it happened before any one of the journalists decieded to quit. I would have reported it often if I knew that statement existed before TG left as he was getting tons of crap from ppl. I though both you and JW were better at handling it, to be honest and both of you seemed not to get offended very easy but JW sure did let it go both ways at time too.

I'm confused.

I read all of JW's Bills and Sabres articles, and for the life of me I cannot figure out what is written in these articles that would cause someone to complain and to make personal insults towards him.

Chimp basically attacked him as if he was Ralph Wilson himself. I think a lot of a fan's frustrations with the team/management/owner got unfairly and unreasonably directed at JW.

I thought TG blew the Leonidas posts out of proportion, but I can't blame John for not wanting to deal with this BS anymore.

Heck, I barely read anything anymore cause this entire place has turned into nothing more than irrational venting. Out of all the threads on the main page, you might get one that has part of a good discussion going on. Everything else is just bitching for the sake of bitching.