Congratulations to Fitzy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbdown:

Fitzpatrick over a full 16 game season in Gailey's offense:

277 for 453, 3173 yards, 37 TDs and 11 INTs

That only works if we keep having 2/3 of our games against crap defenses like Jax and NE.

He's doing well for a stop-gap - if he somehow finds a way to stop throwing so many of those "WTF?" level wildly inaccurate throws he could argue to be more.

I hear the FAA has had to reroute air traffic away from Orchard Park on Sundays for fear one of Random Fitz's high passes will hit a passenger jet.

Edited by BobChalmers

One thing in his defense though, Dork, is that I do want him resigned to be the 2011 brief starter/back-up to next year's #1 overall pick.

+1 :thumbsup: Professor Nerdlinger from Harvard will be a good tutor to a young talent. And worst case, he can get out there and run for his life behind this O-line.

Bills fans response: "You aren't the answer" and "Nothing more than a backup"

Somebody else said it best in another thread..."only thing dumber than the front office are the fans of this team." With fans like these, who needs enemies...we're our own enemies half the time guys.

"Let's draft a 21 year old from some crappy spread college offense and start over instead." Yaaay!! :wallbash:

You tell them !

Are you seriously blaming Fitz for them losing games? Are you kidding? He led the offense in getting 26 points last week, but it was HIS FAULT that the jags scored 36? I guess I don't know anything about football <_<

I just expect more out of my players than mediocre performances against bad teams.

It's not Fitz's fault that we gave up so many points.

I never said it was.

But if he was truly as great as you guys claim, he would have commandeered more offense than he did against a poor team in Jacksonville.

He is NOT the 6th best qb in the league, no matter what his rating after a couple games is.

I know enough about football to know that a successful QB wins games.

Bills fans response: "You aren't the answer" and "Nothing more than a backup"

Somebody else said it best in another thread..."only thing dumber than the front office are the fans of this team." With fans like these, who needs enemies...we're our own enemies half the time guys.

"Let's draft a 21 year old from some crappy spread college offense and start over instead." Yaaay!! :wallbash:

I'm not the one saying we should draft a QB, but it seems inevitable.

I think we should use our next two drafts to shore up our lines, linebackers and receivers/TEs. I think Fitz and Brohm can fill in for a year or two until we get weaker positions worked out.

But I'm also not going to wave my arms and claim Fitz is a great qb just because he had a couple ok games against piss poor defenses.

It is impossible not to like the guy. He is one of the few players who actually seems to care.

Indeed.

I really like the way he plays. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite players.

But he's still a very mediocre quarterback, unfortunately.

He's not bad. He's actually a great back-up QB. But, with this defense, it doesn't matter. Can't win games with opposition scoring over 30 points each game.

However, even with a decent defense, I don't see him getting us to the playoffs, especially within our division.

Why not?

Fitz is playing well under very tough circumstances. I think he is clearly a guy who can "drive the Cadillac" as Bill Parcells used to say about Drew Bledsoe in his prime. He's not Brett Favre or Peyton Manning, but you can win games with him at QB if you put quality players around him. The question is, can you win a championship without a HOF QB? Some teams have done it, but most champions have had elite QBs. So the real question, IMO, is whether the Bills think they need a HOF caliber QB to win a championship. If so, then they really should take one next season with their top overall pick. If not, then they will get better much faster by drafting at other positions.

PS- Fitz stays on the team regardless.

A lot of the points, yards, completions, etc. came in "garbage time."

Garbage time starts with 15 minutes left in the first quarter...what's your point? Admit it, Fitz has been one of the only bright spots for the Bills this season. He would make a great mentor for a smart, young QB from Stanford.

Evidently his stats are good enough to be the sixth best QB.

He's been lucky to no throw interceptions? How does that work, exactly?

It's Fitz that can't move the offense? Not bone head penalties, or phantom penalties or stuffed runs on first and second down that kill drives? It's Fitz's problem?

I think Fitz has been making the correct reads for the most part, he lacks consistent accuracy. Watching him when he was with the Bengals and watching him with the previous regime I have yet to see a WTF interception from him this year, those that you can't comprehend what the guy was thining. His interception to the pass intended to Parrish was, IMO, the correct read as he was open in the seam, Fitz just overthrew him.

Obviously he's not the guy you trust long term if he doesn't radically improve his accuracy problems. If the defense were at least average we would have won at least a couple of games.

Garbage time starts with 15 minutes left in the first quarter...what's your point? Admit it, Fitz has been one of the only bright spots for the Bills this season. He would make a great mentor for a smart, young QB from Stanford.

My point is that I don't think that much of a 99 QB rating when it's only earned because defenses play light when a team is up by two-plus scores in the fourth quarter. Check out when Fitz gets his numbers.

I don't think he's been a particularly bright spot; he just hasn't been as dark as some of the other "spots," as you call them. I don't hate him at all, or want him off the team, or anything like that.

I do think he'd be an excellent mentor for the right young quarterback from Stanford, but not for every young quarterback from Stanford (as has been demonstrated).

I'm not trying to take away from anything Fitz has done. But 3/7 TDs have come in the fourth quarter when we're down 10 or more. It's not like he's lighting this **** up. How many of his TDs have been over 20 yards? I can only think of one, but i could be wrong. Most are just little roll outs, which sure, every quarterback gets but the elite ones have a way of getting receivers in the endzone without the ball being on the 2.

According to that link he's had one pass for 40+ yards, and only 8 for 20 plus yards.

Carson Palmer of the terrible bangles has 14 for 20 plus yards and 4 for 40+.. just for a comparison.

Edited by gregkash

But if he was truly as great as you guys claim, he would have commandeered more offense than he did against a poor team in Jacksonville.

In the 3 weeks that Fitz played, the defense gave up 38, 38, and 36 points I believe it was. During those 3 weeks, the highest point total any team in the NFL gave up and still got the win was 28.

Blaming Fitz for these losses is nuts. Maybe if the defense didn't give up so many points there wouldn't be any "garbage time" and 20 or 30 points would be enough to win.

I know we're not used to this. In the last 4 years our defense would keep us in games but our offense was so bad we couldn't win them. Now it's the opposite. Our offense is good and our defense can't keep up in any games.

The offense is OK. Our defense is horrible. That's why we're losing.

Personally, I can forgive a handful of ugly passes during a game if you give me 7 TDs and 2 picks and 70 points in 3 games. There are no style points in football.

Edited by reddogblitz

I can't believe some of the responses in this thread. Trying to rationalize away the performacne of a QB who has a near 100 QB rating ? Guys, if our QB has a sucky rating, we jump all over him and scream blue murder. But after a long time, a QB is putting up decent numbers and you want to still somehow make your point that he sucks ? Come on ! Yes he struggles with accuracy but he brings stability to the position, moves the chains and keeps us half way competitive on the O side of the ball.

As a team we just cannot put it all together. Last year the D was playing its heart out and was not doing too badly but our O absolutely sucks. Now, somehow we are climbing the stats charts on O but the D has seemingly fallen off a cliff (pretty low cliff it was I admit). Hopefully the full time switch to a scheme (4-3) that better fits what little talent we have on D, will work to bring down the rushing yards allowed. We may still have hopes for an overall competitive team by the time the season is done.

But back to the original point, I hope we have Fitz around for a while - starter now, mentor next year and Reich-type backup to end his career.

A high rating without wins and offensive production means jack ****.

Congrats for playing hard, but you aren't the answer, Fitz. Win some games, then I'll be happy.

the point of the thread wasn't how he's leading us to the promise land, but an individual statistic. Tell us something we don't already know.

A high rating without wins and offensive production means jack ****.

Congrats for playing hard, but you aren't the answer, Fitz. Win some games, then I'll be happy.

In a way I agree with you. Fitz plays as good as he can, but he's not the answer, he's a backup QB.

Fine he has put up good stats, but we still are'nt getting victories.

Now it's not all Fitz's fault. You can't win if your defense keeps giving up 5 TD's a game.

The thing that I do'nt understand is why we are not running the ball more?

Last week Fred Jackson had 12 carries for 73 yards. That's a 6 yard average. Imagine if Jackson had gotten 30 carries.

If the Bills want to win and really help Fitz, run the damn ball!!!

The thing that I do'nt understand is why we are not running the ball more?

Last week Fred Jackson had 12 carries for 73 yards. That's a 6 yard average. Imagine if Jackson had gotten 30 carries.

If the Bills want to win and really help Fitz, run the damn ball!!!

I don't understand this either. Our line can run block obviously but can't pass block worth a darn. Our running game is our strength and our passing game our weakness. Yet, we pass 70% of the time? Against Jacksonville, Fred had 12 carries and CJ 6. They both average 6 yards per carry and both ripped off some nice long runs. Why in heaven's name are we passing so much. Understand we've been behind, but the Jets and Jacksonville games didn't get away from us until the 4th quarter. Run the ball

POUND THE ROCK !!

In the 3 weeks that Fitz played, the defense gave up 38, 38, and 36 points I believe it was. During those 3 weeks, the highest point total any team in the NFL gave up and still got the win was 28.

Blaming Fitz for these losses is nuts. Maybe if the defense didn't give up so many points there wouldn't be any "garbage time" and 20 or 30 points would be enough to win.

I know we're not used to this. In the last 4 years our defense would keep us in games but our offense was so bad we couldn't win them. Now it's the opposite. Our offense is good and our defense can't keep up in any games.

The offense is OK. Our defense is horrible. That's why we're losing.

Personally, I can forgive a handful of ugly passes during a game if you give me 7 TDs and 2 picks and 70 points in 3 games. There are no style points in football.

Clearly you have a hard time with anything that isn't a black and white statement.

Again, I'm not saying it's Fitz's and only Fitz's fault for losing.

Our defense is our biggest culprit, and coaching right behind it. Ok rating or not, though, Fitz has not done enough to win games. Same can be said for Evans, Jackson, etc too. I'm not going to sit around and congratulate someone for playing OK vs poor defenses and losing.

He's better than Trent, but he's not good enough, IMO. He's a decent backup.

I don't understand this either. Our line can run block obviously but can't pass block worth a darn. Our running game is our strength and our passing game our weakness. Yet, we pass 70% of the time? Against Jacksonville, Fred had 12 carries and CJ 6. They both average 6 yards per carry and both ripped off some nice long runs. Why in heaven's name are we passing so much. Understand we've been behind, but the Jets and Jacksonville games didn't get away from us until the 4th quarter. Run the ball

POUND THE ROCK !!

I ABSOLUTELY agree with this. Our offensive play calling has been questionable.

It's almost as if Chan is calling plays less to win games, and more to see who/what he has.

I think Fitz has been making the correct reads for the most part, he lacks consistent accuracy. Watching him when he was with the Bengals and watching him with the previous regime I have yet to see a WTF interception from him this year, those that you can't comprehend what the guy was thining. His interception to the pass intended to Parrish was, IMO, the correct read as he was open in the seam, Fitz just overthrew him.

Obviously he's not the guy you trust long term if he doesn't radically improve his accuracy problems. If the defense were at least average we would have won at least a couple of games.

Regarding the "how can someone be lucky to not throw interceptions" comment...

When you miss 40% of your throws and only end up with a couple of those in the hands of the other guys, you are getting lucky. Overthrows and tips, especially... How many ints did Byrd get last year on tipped/overthrown balls?

Look at Fitz's history, this is a statistical outlier so far.

Well, thanks to our "defense," he'd have to have put up more than 30 points in four consecutive games to even sniff victory.

30 points scored in four consecutive games is a feat for even the best of the best.

Mind you, it's not opposing defenses or special teams getting scores, it's their offense besting our defense, consistently.

Fitz isn't the "answer," but right now the offense isn't in question.

Bingorama. Been saying the same thing for 2 weeks. Offense still has problems, but defense is the biggest problem. D has fallen off a cliff in chains & cement shoes. George Edwards was THE biggest mistake in the off season.

Lets see what he does during the next 11 games, shall we? There's little doubt in my mind that Fitz is a better QB than Trent Edwards was, but at the same time, he's had the benefit of playing against two teams, the Jaguars and Patriots, that are allowing more yards per game and more yards per play than even this sorry Bills defense.

They play several games against teams with solid defenses during the remainder of this season and it should provide a good test of Fitzpatrick and the offense in general. I'm not in the least bit convinced that they're actually any better than they have been in the last 7 or 8 years, but merely the beneficiaries of playing miserable defenses in two of the last three games. I guess we'll find out soon enough.