Fixing the offensive line

Virgil

With our O-Line being so bad and the rumor of trading lynch to gb for an offensive lineman, it got me thinking.

There are players that start on our line that would be lucky to be backups on other teams. Well, what about the reverse logic? Don't you think that there are some very serviceable backups out there for strong offensive lines that would be a large improvement over what we have? I have to think there are players that are backups that we could trade a later round pick for, and see immediate improvement, as well as depth. And definitely get a better value than someone we would have drafted in those picks.

I'm not saying I know who these people are, but just think of backups for teams like the ravens, titans, and chargers. Really strong lines.

Thoughts?

Derek -

First, take a deep breath and realize that this team is more than an OL player away from making any deep runs into the playoffs.

Second, go through the depth charts on the rest of the league and try to locate a backup ("serviceable" as you call them) that are better than our front 5. Then, realize that other player to make an impact here should be heads and tails better than the player here.

Third, if that team has such a quality logjam at an OL position that the backup is so much better than what we have here do you think that the other team is going to just give him up for a low round draft pick?

This OL is hampered by a couple of things. New system, few impact players on the wings, defenses knowing that there are few weapons on the wings and will blitz to their hearts content.

But, realize this OL is starting to build a core of players that, yes right now, are getting run over. Once they there are some weapons on the edge they will remember the crap they went through will be more than happy to turn it around.

I don't know... I think you don't flip the line around unless (until) there is injury. Flipping these guys around isn't going to fix anything. They need some time to mesh and we need some better tackles.

I agree, However I think Bell is gettiing better every play. Green not so much

I don't know... I think you don't flip the line around unless (until) there is injury. Flipping these guys around isn't going to fix anything. They need some time to mesh and we need some better tackles.

What if the tackles get better as the line gels and meshes? Do we still replace them? I'm not saying they will get better, but suppose...

I agree with giving the line some time to develop and play as a cohesive unit, but if the tackles aren't up to snuff, it won't matter how well the line will mesh.

Derek -

First, take a deep breath and realize that this team is more than an OL player away from making any deep runs into the playoffs.

Second, go through the depth charts on the rest of the league and try to locate a backup ("serviceable" as you call them) that are better than our front 5. Then, realize that other player to make an impact here should be heads and tails better than the player here.

Third, if that team has such a quality logjam at an OL position that the backup is so much better than what we have here do you think that the other team is going to just give him up for a low round draft pick?

This OL is hampered by a couple of things. New system, few impact players on the wings, defenses knowing that there are few weapons on the wings and will blitz to their hearts content.

But, realize this OL is starting to build a core of players that, yes right now, are getting run over. Once they there are some weapons on the edge they will remember the crap they went through will be more than happy to turn it around.

This is why our line sucks. We don't have CRAP. The only guys that may be something are Levitre and Wood. They are decent but people are playing them up like they are future hall of famers. Hopefully they get better and even come close to the hype surrounding them. Hangarter is a mediocre journeyman at center. In combination with him and Trent they couldn't get the protections called right on the line and defenses have been blowing up our run game AND our QBs. The tackles are low budget flyers. One who may never be anything and one who never was.

Ya, lets stand pat with what we have unless they are head and shoulders above what we have. Right now I would say that 80% of the backups in this league qualify as that much of an upgrade. Made up number but of course you get the idea.

Anyhow same problem we will always have. Until Ralph stops refusing to pay his star players and letting them walk for greener pastures we will continue to be in a perpetual state of rebuilding. Continuing to restock the DB and RB positions draft after draft while occasionally once every 10 years taking a first round shot at another position like, QB, WR, LB , OT or DL. If we didn't have an absolutely miserable failure rate drafting at those positions we might be something.

Look at our last 1st round picks at those positions:

QB: JP Losman - BUST

WR: Lee Evans - Would be STAR on a team with a QB

LB: ???? Not this millennium that I recall

OT: Mike Williams - MEGA BUST OF THE CENTURY

DL: Aaron Maybin - BUST (Still early but not looking good)

DL: John McCargo - BUST

Edited by PDaDdy

With our O-Line being so bad and the rumor of trading lynch to gb for an offensive lineman, it got me thinking.

There are players that start on our line that would be lucky to be backups on other teams. Well, what about the reverse logic? Don't you think that there are some very serviceable backups out there for strong offensive lines that would be a large improvement over what we have? I have to think there are players that are backups that we could trade a later round pick for, and see immediate improvement, as well as depth. And definitely get a better value than someone we would have drafted in those picks.

I'm not saying I know who these people are, but just think of backups for teams like the ravens, titans, and chargers. Really strong lines.

Thoughts?

At this point in the season no team with serviceable backups would want to trade away their players because injuries could threaten their entire year. . Look around the league at practice squads, no tackles at all

So many teams are struggling with sub par lines, Dallas is the first that comes to mind, they have issues on that line now that they cut Adams and didn't get a quality replacement in the draft. The bears, the Colts, this year the Colts will not do as well as past years if they play a team with a strong pass rush. Same thing could be said about the Patriots, Brady under duress is not the same player if he has all day to make his throws

Year in and year out the teams that allow the least amount of sacks are usually in the playoffs....

Read this: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-olinerankings061810

""The Bills finished dead last in the league last season in pass blocking, which should explain a lot of the struggles for anybody who went under center last season. At least they were above average in run blocking and the addition of offensive-minded head coach Chan Gailey will keep the Bills from doing stupid things that accentuate their lack of talent up front. Still, there’s only so much you can do.""

At some point in time someone at OBD will realize that games are won and lost in the trenches and replace Cornell Green at RT or move Bell to RT and draft a top quality LT.

Thoughts?

That's how we got Hangartner.

Right now I would say that 80% of the backups in this league qualify as that much of an upgrade. Made up number but of course you get the idea.

PDaDdy - Do you really think this is true? Like I said to the original post, go through the depth charts and give me some. Then, I will believe you. I will agree that the "cash to the cap" is really hurting this team.

The whole thing comes down to what is Bell . If he pans out ot be a solid left tackle by years end then the line is a unIT that will be easily shored up. On the otherhand if he is a bust then a heavy investment is needed at left tackle , taking away resourses needed to fix the other well known areas QB, OLB, ECT ECT ECT

STAY TUNNED

The only real thing we can do this season is get Green the hell out of there and put in Meridith. At least Meridith could use the starts and stand to improve with more experience. Green is just wasting snaps that could be better used on younger guys.

Bell is going to be our LT for the rest of the season so lets hope that Bell improves with more snaps (Also lets hope he gets a little better as he comes off of injury as well maybe he isn't fully recovered or use to playing on his leg). The interior guys aren't that bad its really the edges that collapses the pocket and can't get much push in the ground game.

I hope next draft we go out and get a pair of bookend tackles round 1 and 2. No QB is going to have success behind this line.

Edited by billsfan89

Derek -

This is not me needing to take a deep breath or freaking out. I know that we are more than an offensive lineman away from the playoffs. Never said otherwise. I am simply talking about the overall lack of depth and serviceable starters. And, i'm also not talking about a 7th round pick. Many of these teams out there have guys who are swing players that can line up at T/G or G/C, but don't start due to the amount of talent ahead of them. For me, I'd give up a 3rd or 4th round pick for that kind of player if he could start for us.

I'm not saying these guys grow on trees, but I have to wonder how much we look for that.

That's how we got Hangartner.

Agreed Sir. I never really had an opinion of him until last week when Matthews absolutely blew him up. That was probably the most overmatched I can remember seeing a professional football player.

This is why our line sucks. We don't have CRAP. The only guys that may be something are Levitre and Wood. They are decent but people are playing them up like they are future hall of famers. Hopefully they get better and even come close to the hype surrounding them. Hangarter is a mediocre journeyman at center. In combination with him and Trent they couldn't get the protections called right on the line and defenses have been blowing up our run game AND our QBs. The tackles are low budget flyers. One who may never be anything and one who never was.

I disagree to a certain extent with the 1st part of your post which I reprinted here. Yeah, I agree with you on Levitre and Wood, but IMO Hangarter, who you call a mediocre journeyman, is at the very least adequate, while Bell is progressing...and the word is progressing because you MUST take into consideration his inexperience, and that only leaves the RT position.

If I'm Coach I stick anyone else at RT and let him develope while our current bust gets a seat on the bench.

I disagree to a certain extent with the 1st part of your post which I reprinted here. Yeah, I agree with you on Levitre and Wood, but IMO Hangarter, who you call a mediocre journeyman, is at the very least adequate, while Bell is progressing...and the word is progressing because you MUST take into consideration his inexperience, and that only leaves the RT position.

If I'm Coach I stick anyone else at RT and let him develope while our current bust gets a seat on the bench.

Hangartner is adequate against a 4-3 but he is totally inadequate as soon as a big NT lines up across from him.

What would you think of an Offensive line of

Bell LT, Brandon Carter LG, Wood C, Herman Johnson RG, McNeil RT

To the OP question, Marcus McNeil is still holding out and I suspect the Chargers want 2 arms and 2 legs for the guy.

The Bills could try and make a trade for him but I'll bet they would want the Bills 1st pick next year, and that pick might just be the franchise QB.

If I had Marcus McNeil on the line he would start at LT and Bell at RT

Everyone is stating they are so happy that Fitz is starting...I just don't see him having much success playing behind that line, then again the Pats D is nowhere near as good as Miami's or Green Bays

To the OP question, Marcus McNeil is still holding out and I suspect the Chargers want 2 arms and 2 legs for the guy.

The Bills could try and make a trade for him but I'll bet they would want the Bills 1st pick next year, and that pick might just be the franchise QB.

If I had Marcus McNeil on the line he would start at LT and Bell at RT

Everyone is stating they are so happy that Fitz is starting...I just don't see him having much success playing behind that line, then again the Pats D is nowhere near as good as Miami's or Green Bays

You got to give value to get value but I bet you could get him for our 2nd and Levitre

It would have been wise to review the waiver wire for quality backups or final cut tackles who might be an improvement over the pathetic losers we have STARTING here. God knows what OUR backups have to offer. I don't know why we didn't go out on a limb and get

Washington stashed Selvish Capers on their PS. He's a raw talent who at least has promise, which is more than I can say for Green.

The interior guys aren't that bad its really the edges that collapses the pocket and can't get much push in the ground game.

This is the BIGGEST UNTRUTH that Bills fans continue to tell themselves. The pocket is behind the interior Oline guys. Watch

some of those sacks that are gotten from D-ends and OLB's and see if the QB could step up and avoid them. That's what

they are supposed to be able to do. How often do they not step up because there's too much pressure up the middle, then the

pressure off the edge has an easier time getting the sack.

ALL of these interior guys get their lunch taken every game. They have trouble up the middle just as much as around the ends.

Watch the games closely. The Bills can improve everywhere on the line including G and C. I don't know why people insist that

Wood, Levitre and Hangartner are somehow miraculously opening up holes that the OT's are messing up. Hangartner gets bullied,

pushed around and driven back often. I don't know if he even makes the right calls during the game based on the inability of the line

to handle any type of pressure. Levitre gets bossed too. And Wood takes his lumps. He's okay, but far from the stud everybody wants

to call him.

In the end Levitre might be a good backup and Wood should maybe be playing center. Green needs to have a seat as soon as possible

if he can't do any better than he's been doing. Bell is doing okay. Much better than last season. He's making none of the penalties we

constantly saw him make last season and he's holding his own against the pass rush. Considering his experience level this is very

encouraging. Between him and Wood we might have two keepers in the starting line-up. Meredith can't play LT. He's getting crushed

when he steps in for Bell. He needs to go to RT.

Edited by purple haze

Derek -

Holy crap! Pin this or something so we can put to end, once and for all, all these threads about trading Lynch for someone's OT.

Seriously... 2 beers for you.:beer::beer:

/thread.

Thoughts?

I had thoughts along similar lines and posted about them just after the roster cuts.

Some of the linemen I wondered about were at least brought in by other strong teams for a look-see.

Others were left alone, likely injury concerns.

I'm not sure any of them really caught on, so maybe our office is looking and not seeing

The thing is, O-line is a team position on a team sport.

They have to know the system and they have to "gel" and work together to be effective.

It's probably the hardest position to bring someone in mid-season and have them make an impact.

I also agree that a contender team is not likely to trade a true quality backup.

Quality depth is one of the hallmarks of a contender.

PDaDdy - Do you really think this is true? Like I said to the original post, go through the depth charts and give me some. Then, I will believe you. I will agree that the "cash to the cap" is really hurting this team.

Neither of us can truly prove whether their are or aren't better back ups on other teams as they are rarely called into action unless starters go down. I guess I just can't believe that being a skilled offensive is that incredibly rare a talent to the point that there just aren't any sitting on someones bench. Remember, it only takes one RT on someones bench to be better than ours to make my statement true. It only takes one LT or C on someones bench to be better than our to make the statement true.

This is the BIGGEST UNTRUTH that Bills fans continue to tell themselves. The pocket is behind the interior Oline guys. Watch

some of those sacks that are gotten from D-ends and OLB's and see if the QB could step up and avoid them. That's what

they are supposed to be able to do. How often do they not step up because there's too much pressure up the middle, then the

ALL of these interior guys get their lunch taken every game. They have trouble up the middle just as much as around the ends.

Watch the games closely. The Bills can improve everywhere on the line including G and C. I don't know why people insist that

Wood, Levitre and Hangartner are somehow miraculously opening up holes that the OT's are messing up. Hangartner gets bullied,

pushed around and driven back often. I don't know if he even makes the right calls during the game based on the inability of the line

to handle any type of pressure. Levitre gets bossed too. And Wood takes his lumps. He's okay, but far from the stud everybody wants

to call him.

In the end Levitre might be a good backup and Wood should maybe be playing center. Green needs to have a seat as soon as possible

if he can't do any better than he's been doing. Bell is doing okay. Much better than last season. He's making none of the penalties we

constantly saw him make last season and he's holding his own against the pass rush. Considering his experience level this is very

encouraging. Between him and Wood we might have two keepers in the starting line-up. Meredith can't play LT. He's getting crushed

You guys gotta understand that the O line is exactly like a chain, and that a chain is only as good as its weakest link! The Biggest problems are at BOTH tackle positions and center, the two guards are both young and inexperienced and still growing and learning.

Cornell Green has to be THE worst tackle in the NFL and Bell isn't much better, when the Bills need them the most on 3rd and long they both fold like wet cardboard, serious issues with both those two!! Hangartner played with a bad back last season and it still might be bothering him, he is a career backup and shouldn't be starting and either should Green IMHO.

The best thing the Bills could do at this point is to trade some draft picks to SD for Marcus McNeil and start the guy at LT, move Bell to RT because I don't trust the guy to protect the QB's blindside as I've seen to many hits on the QB this year from that side. I'd move Wood to Center, Kraig Urbik to RG, Levitre to stay at LG and Green and Hangarter to backup. So the starting line should be McNeil LT-Levitre LG-Wood C-Urbik RG Bell RT and leave them there and let them gain continuity.

The Bills are also lacking a dominate blocking tight end. If I'm Chan Gailey I'd take the most athletic back up linemen and let him play tight end for blocking purposes, then maybe even throw at him now and again because nobody would ever expect him to be a receiver

to call him.

SPOT ON about the interior line. People are so happy and slapping each other on the back that we got rid of our probowl LT and started rebuilding the lines with the guards and singing the praises of these "studs".

The truth is they haven't done a damn thing yet. The interior of our line is mediocre at best. We sure as **** can't run inside and there is no pocket to speak of to step up into. I wish people would have worn those rose colored glasses when they looked at Peters play. A genuine star probowl LT we ran out of town was supposedly over rated but these "done nothing" guards and center are so great and awesome picks. If in time they even come close to the unwarranted hype and praise they receive we will really have something.

to call him.

You're correct. The middle of the line is just as likely to get steamrolled as the outside is to shout "Olé!"

Thoughts?

The Bills should make trades for draft picks, not players. Go thru the roster and count the players you would keep, 15 maybe 20. We need to rebuild thru the draft.

to call him.

Excellent post.

I am not sure, but I think Jeremy Trueblood is a UFA next season. I hope the Bills offer him a contract making him the highest paid RT in football history if that is what it takes to get him. Then, draft Ryan Mallett and look for a LT in round 2. Finish the above with WRs, LBs and interior blockers in later rounds.

There Sir, is a winning formula.

SPOT ON about the interior line. People are so happy and slapping each other on the back that we got rid of our probowl LT and started rebuilding the lines with the guards and singing the praises of these "studs".

The truth is they haven't done a damn thing yet. The interior of our line is mediocre at best. We sure as **** can't run inside and there is no pocket to speak of to step up into. I wish people would have worn those rose colored glasses when they looked at Peters play. A genuine star probowl LT we ran out of town was supposedly over rated but these "done nothing" guards and center are so great and awesome picks. If in time they even come close to the unwarranted hype and praise they receive we will really have something.

Such a great point.

Levitre doesn't look to be on par with Jerry Ostroski and Wood gets pushed around a bit much for a guard taken at 28 overall. Maybe it was the right move to get rid of Peters, but you can't make that case based on the play of our guards.

to call him.

Hangartner is scary bad. This is straight Tutan Reyes, Bennie Andersen signing. Look at profootballfocus. They guy gets blown up every play. Why do people pretend otherwise?

The thing is not many fans really focus on watching the O line, all they see is the QB and don't really care or understand why he can't make plays happen.

Edwards has had about 2-3 seconds on most plays to get rid of the ball, so that is limiting him to 3 step drops and the ball better be gone. I watched him get sacked in the Miami game in 2 seconds from the blindside and hit after he completed a pass in 2 seconds. That is simply not enough time for any QB to do their job. What does it tell you about the O line when the RB is getting hit as soon as he gets the hand off, how many times in the last two games has Spiller / Lynch / Jackson been hit as soon as they touch the ball?

I'm not certain how the Bills delegate the responsibilities to the tackles, depending on whether a TE or RB is helping on that side. If you grade Bell solely on blocking the DE on his side then he has done well, if his responsibilities are protecting that entire left side if no RB-TE is helping...well then he stinks.

An example would be that he lines up opposite the DE and if an OLB is to his left he is supposed to slide over to pick up the LB if he blitzes and the guard slides to cover the DE, they usually shout audibles / dog / red, etc so the guard knows he is supposed to slide. The Bills protections overall have been horrid from what I've seen.

"purple haze" is correct in stating Edwards isn't able to step up in the pocket to avoid the DE's rush because the entire pocket has been collapsing... The QB's benching is more of the result of the bad play of the O line and receivers then it is his play IMO, but hey, it made the fans happy