Gailey coached Bills -vs- Jauron coached Bills

Kosmo

Jauron took a 5-11 team and went 7-9 his first season. His worst record as a Bills coach was 7-9 (full season)

In comes Chan Gailey. A guy who thus far has proven to be everything Jauron was not. A guy that demands hard work, attention to detail, can game plan, has an offensive mind, and expects his players to win as opposed to telling them "it's hard to win in the NFL".

Other than T.O., what has significantly changed for the worse?

-Defense switching to 3-4 will take some time, but the idea is that it will help shore up our horrid run D from last year. At some point in the season, this switch will be a positive.

-Special teams do look suspect, but we need to wait till the starting line-up is in for the regular season

-Offense now has a real OC. We added Spiller. Roscoe will be more involved. The O-line is more experienced and for the time being, is healthy. They have shown signs of life thus far in the pre-season and are actually exciting to watch.

How can people (fans and "analysts") predict this team to only win 3 games? I would like to think that overall our team has improved on paper from the last few years, or at least stayed the same. So the question is this:

Who wins more games given the same team, Gailey coached Bills or Jauron coached Bills?

I say Gailey, hands down. That’s why I say we go at least 8-8 this season and make a push for a Wild Card spot.

It's our schedule. We are playing the NFC North and the AFC North. they are both powerhouse divisions. In the AFC North the Steelers, Bengals, or Ravens could be #1 in the division. In the NFC north it's either the Vikings or Packers. 4 of the 5 teams listed made the playoffs last year and are expected to do so again. This is why the so called experts believe we will be 3-13.

I personally think the Bills will make the playoffs this year despite the schedule.

It's our schedule. We are playing the NFC North and the AFC North. they are both powerhouse divisions. In the AFC North the Steelers, Bengals, or Ravens could be #1 in the division. In the NFC north it's either the Vikings or Packers. 4 of the 5 teams listed made the playoffs last year and are expected to do so again. This is why the so called experts believe we will be 3-13.

I personally think the Bills will make the playoffs this year despite the schedule.

I really have never bought into difficulty of schedule. For all we know, the New England defense will be weak and Sanchez and Henne will still struggle as young quaterbacks. Plus there are overhyped teams and underrated teams every year. We will just have to see it play out. Also, over the past couple of years, there have been games where if a few plays go the Bills way, they win. Hopefully with better play calling, improved offensive line play, and more consistent quarterbacking (i know, i know, there is not a whole lot of hope for this), we can have a winning record going into the last three games of the season (which happen to be divisional games). I think we will be in the mix going into that three game stretch.

Having this coaching staff that believes in confidence instead of luck will go a long way. To DJs credit this team played hard but were often undone by holy **** a gameplan by the other team!

Having a game plan makes this team SOOOOOO much better. I doubt we are super bowl caliber but it wouldnt shock me to see us win 9 games

-Defense switching to 3-4 will take some time, but the idea is that it will help shore up our horrid run D from last year. At some point in the season, this switch will be a positive.

-Special teams do look suspect, but we need to wait till the starting line-up is in for the regular season

-Offense now has a real OC. We added Spiller. Roscoe will be more involved. The O-line is more experienced and for the time being, is healthy. They have shown signs of life thus far in the pre-season and are actually exciting to watch.

How can people (fans and "analysts") predict this team to only win 3 games? I would like to think that overall our team has improved on paper from the last few years, or at least stayed the same. So the question is this:

Not to argue with your main point, but remember that nothing stands still in the NFL. Every team looks like it has stayed pat or improved from year to year, at least on paper and in preseason. But there is never a guarantee that a returning player will be as good as he was last year. Jackson, Evans, and quite a few others have another year of mileage on them, and will start losing steps eventually. And there is no reason to think we won't have the same amount of injuries to foil our plans. If the preseason is any guide, we might be on track for more!

Do I think we will have a 3 win season? No. But if we have 5 or 6 my head won't explode at the implausibility of it all. Frankly, I don't think we were really a 7 win team last season.

I really have never bought into difficulty of schedule. For all we know, the New England defense will be weak and Sanchez and Henne will still struggle as young quaterbacks. Plus there are overhyped teams and underrated teams every year. We will just have to see it play out. Also, over the past couple of years, there have been games where if a few plays go the Bills way, they win. Hopefully with better play calling, improved offensive line play, and more consistent quarterbacking (i know, i know, there is not a whole lot of hope for this), we can have a winning record going into the last three games of the season (which happen to be divisional games). I think we will be in the mix going into that three game stretch.

I agree with this 100%.

Also, people point to all the tough games on this year's schedule. We split with both Miami and New York last year and had N.E. beat until the very end. There's no reason we can't go 2-4 again in a decent AFC East. We're also scheduled to play the Jaguars, Chiefs, Bears, Lions and Browns. I think we can get 3-4 wins out of that group alone. The Steelers and Bengals are by no means indestructible and we might be able to steal one from them.

Who wins more games given the same team, Gailey coached Bills or Jauron coached Bills?

I say Gailey, hands down. That’s why I say we go at least 8-8 this season and make a push for a Wild Card spot.

There are many reasons:

Many folks consider the last years fallout to be due to a horrible situation at QB and the OL (injuries, bad plays etc). Based on that the situation has not changed as the same QBs are back and the same OL are back. For non-Bills fan, that sounds like status quo and with the perceived improvement within the division (Jets piled up a # of veteran FAs, the Pats drafted 4 2nd RD picks and the Dolphins got Brandon Marshall). Hence everyone is clamoring for a 3-13 record.

The second factor that plays in is that the Bills schedule is very difficult this year as compared to last season. They are playing 6 games against the AFCE, 4 against the tough AFC North (Cinci, Balt, Pit), 4 against the always-tough NFC North (GB, Vikes, Bears). Their only "easy" games appear (according to the pundits) KC, Jax and the floor mats of the AFC North and NFC North (Cleveland and Detroit).

The Bills have of course shown that they can take down Miami and the Jets in the last few seasons, even when they were not favored. And it is possible that they get lucky breaks in another 2-3 games to finish with a 6-10 and 7-9 record.

Of course, Chan could work his magic and make this a better offensively balanced team that can take them to a 10+ win season.

I personally see the big challenge is in the defense converting from the 4-3 to the 3-4 especially considering that we have been drafting this 4-2 cover 2 smallish linemen. Our LBs are also not big enough to play this defense. May be these players will adapt to the scheme. Of course, we were 31st against the RUN, so we can only go up. I hope Gailey tough attitude changes these players like how Parcells and Sporanos changes the culture in Miami two seasons ago.

Preseason predictions are nothing other than entertainment. Teams that are likely to remain strong from year to year are those that have solid coaching and solid QB'ing. The Bills have had neither for a long time. While many of the Bills loyal are positive on Gailey he still has to prove his leadership through results. Until he does anyone's guess is valid.

I've posted this before, but I really like the fact that Gailey was 13-3 during two regular seasons within the division while HC of the Dallas Cowboys. He understands the importance of division games.

Ok. If he plays three teams in the division twice then it is 6 games. Over 2 years, it will be 12 games.

I am not saying that I don't believe you, but the numbers don't add up.

2009 jauron 3-5

fewell 3-5

lets see, jauron and fewell had the same players (minus 15 for fewell on IR), same assistants, same fans, same stadium, not the same weather, and they had the same record.

that tells us that jauron was just as good as an untested head coach with absolutely no head coaching experience. what a terrible head coach he was. oh so terribly horribly bad.

the "experts" are fooled into thinking that Chan Gailey will win only the same amount of games as interim HC Fewell did in a half of last season. LOL

Edited by milehiLou

Ok. If he plays three teams in the division twice then it is 6 games. Over 2 years, it will be 12 games.

Forget it, he's rolling.

there used to be five teams in each division. Remember when the colts were in the east too? (til 2002)

Edited by milehiLou

Gailey coached the Cowboys in the late 90s when the cards were still in the NFC East.

Thank you. You beat me to it. Yes, it was a 5-team division when Gailey coached the Cowboys. The 13-3 divisional record is accurate.

there used to be five teams in each division. Remember when the colts were in the east too? (til 2002)

It probably would be best analyzing more then 1 team, but consider Green Bays switch from 4-3 (2008) to 3-4 (2009), you can turn a defense around pretty quick. That being said, Green Bay does have a lot of "names" on defense and Dom Capers.

2008: total yards(20th), scoring (23rd), rush yds (26)

2009: total yards (2nd), scoring (7th), rush yds (1st)

I really think youth, lack of talent, and the tough schedule will conspire to doom the Bills to a bad record this year, but I really like what I am seeing from this regime. Hopefully they keep building off the positives and get the Bills back to winning.

It probably would be best analyzing more then 1 team, but consider Green Bays switch from 4-3 (2008) to 3-4 (2009), you can turn a defense around pretty quick. That being said, Green Bay does have a lot of "names" on defense and Dom Capers.

2008: total yards(20th), scoring (23rd), rush yds (26)

2009: total yards (2nd), scoring (7th), rush yds (1st)

This is a total assumption but GB's offense was quite good last year, better than 2008 and put up a fair number of points. That may play some role in the defensive stats looking better. Also I wathced their early games. The defense was brutal butgot much better as the season went on.

Troup and the coordinator are the keys to success or failure.

There are many reasons:

Many folks consider the last years fallout to be due to a horrible situation at QB and the OL (injuries, bad plays etc). Based on that the situation has not changed as the same QBs are back and the same OL are back.

You used the same logical flaw the national nit-wits have been using - and you did it really quickly.

When the Bills opened against the Pat's last year, the OL did fine. They had their starting five.

When the Bills faced the 'Skins in P1 this year, they were back to missing three out of five starters, and Edwards was running for his life.

The last two weeks, they've had their five starters on the field, and the offense has looked worlds better than last year.

Unless we lose 3/5 of the line again, then no, the same OL are not back.

Having this coaching staff that believes in confidence instead of luck will go a long way. To DJs credit this team played hard but were often undone by holy **** a gameplan by the other team!

Having a game plan makes this team SOOOOOO much better. I doubt we are super bowl caliber but it wouldnt shock me to see us win 9 games

+1

I personally see the big challenge is in the defense converting from the 4-3 to the 3-4 especially considering that we have been drafting this 4-2 cover 2 smallish linemen. Our LBs are also not big enough to play this defense. May be these players will adapt to the scheme. Of course, we were 31st against the RUN, so we can only go up. I hope Gailey tough attitude changes these players like how Parcells and Sporanos changes the culture in Miami two seasons ago.

And which of those guys is playing D-line?

If you haven't had a chance to watch them in preseason, it's pretty obvious our worries that Kyle Williams couldn't cut it as a NT were unfounded. He is a beast at his new position, and plays pretty big as a 305# NT.

A slimmed and fit Marcus Stroud is a very large and powerful DE. Dwan Edwards is also very large and has the measurables to continue playing 3-4 end as he did when he was here in Baltimore.

Our LB's aren't big enough? Huh? We have converted DE's on the outside. Andra Davis is plenty big. Poz may be a question.

The real concern may be the mental conversion for the defense, especially the LB's. Again, we have converted DE's now playing OLB, and it's not clear they have the lateral mobility and instincts outside of pass-rushing to do it.

Edited by BobChalmers

The Bills starters have yet to play a full game so most of us really have no idea of exactly how good or bad this years team will be...

This coaching staff is filled with college coaches who have no NFL experience, plus the OC and DC were elevated to those jobs from RB coach in Arizona and LB coach in Miami. The team is implementing a new 3-4 defense and will have trouble stopping opposing teams until they learn their jobs, both coaches and players.

The offense will be better and score more points and have better stats, but I still have no faith in the current O line to protect Edwards for 60 min a game for 16 weeks

You used the same logical flaw the national nit-wits have been using - and you did it really quickly.

When the Bills opened against the Pat's last year, the OL did fine. They had their starting five.

When the Bills faced the 'Skins in P1 this year, they were back to missing three out of five starters, and Edwards was running for his life.

The last two weeks, they've had their five starters on the field, and the offense has looked worlds better than last year.

Unless we lose 3/5 of the line again, then no, the same OL are not back.

Please read my comment carefully. I said that is the belief of the national media. From their perspective we are bringing back the same QB and same OL as last year, without any upgrade through FA or draft. That is not my opinion. I understand that the BIlls lost 3 of their starters on the line during the season and the QB was in and out with a QB controversy.

And which of those guys is playing D-line?

If you haven't had a chance to watch them in preseason, it's pretty obvious our worries that Kyle Williams couldn't cut it as a NT were unfounded. He is a beast at his new position, and plays pretty big as a 305# NT.

A slimmed and fit Marcus Stroud is a very large and powerful DE. Dwan Edwards is also very large and has the measurables to continue playing 3-4 end as he did when he was here in Baltimore.

Our LB's aren't big enough? Huh? We have converted DE's on the outside. Andra Davis is plenty big. Poz may be a question.

The real concern may be the mental conversion for the defense, especially the LB's. Again, we have converted DE's now playing OLB, and it's not clear they have the lateral mobility and instincts outside of pass-rushing to do it.

The prototypical 3-4 NT is much bigger than what we have in Kyle Williams. Kyle is yet to go in a meaningful game at that position against some of the best Centers like Mangold in our division. He definitely has the skill and attitude to play the NT, but don't know if he has the physical strength to play it for 16 games. May be the Troup rotation will help.

We have small LBs in Ellis, Maybin and Poz who were meant to be cover 2 DEs or LBs (fast and small). There is now big expectation from this group and many are unproven at their position. Kelsay has had difficulty rushing the passer from the DE position. I don't know if he will have success from the OLB position. There are just too many question marks to pretend that the transition will be smooth.

Gailey coached the Cowboys in the late 90s when the cards were still in the NFC East.

And thus four of those thirteen wins were almost certainly against the Cardinals. But a 9-3 record against the Giants, Eagles and Redskins is nothing to sneeze at.

And thus four of those thirteen wins were almost certainly against the Cardinals. But a 9-3 record against the Giants, Eagles and Redskins is nothing to sneeze at.

I totally forgot the cards were in the NFC East once. Actually Dallas was 3-1 vs the Cards in 1998-1999.

PTR

I totally forgot the cards were in the NFC East once. Actually Dallas was 3-1 vs the Cards in 1998-1999.

PTR

If you include the playoffs, then Dallas went 3-2 vs the Cardinals during 98-99.

The Cowboys won both regular season match ups, but unfortunately, lost their playoff game against the Cards.

Not a really a knock against Chan. Expecting a first year HC to beat the same team 3 times in one season is a tall order.

If you include the playoffs, then Dallas went 3-2 vs the Cardinals during 98-99.

The Cowboys won both regular season match ups, but unfortunately, lost their playoff game against the Cards.

Not a really a knock against Chan. Expecting a first year HC to beat the same team 3 times in one season is a tall order.

Chan blamed himself for that loss to the Cards in the playoffs -- said he allowed his team to be over-confident.

Jauron took a 5-11 team and went 7-9 his first season. His worst record as a Bills coach was 7-9 (full season)

In comes Chan Gailey. A guy who thus far has proven to be everything Jauron was not. A guy that demands hard work, attention to detail, can game plan, has an offensive mind, and expects his players to win as opposed to telling them "it's hard to win in the NFL".

We could win 5 games and still actually play better than last year, even though they won 6 last year. We could end up with more yards, more points, less yard given up, better time of possession, fewer penalties and fewer turnovers .... and still only win five games.

We play a much tougher schedule and our division is getting better, not worse.

Added to that we still have the same weaknesses that we had last year. It will take at least two off-seasons to improve the talent and change the losing culture.

• 3 weeks later...