At what point do you cut your losses with Maybin?

I have my own time frame with Maybin but yours may be different.

At some point YOU have to cut your losses and move on...........

Personally, I give him this season and perhaps one more preseason to drastically improve, after that, SEE YA!

I am all for patience, but we need more from a #1 draft pick. It's money vs production

There is no right or wrong answer with a time frame to cut ties, it depends on your patience level. :devil:

Your opinion is important to me and I respect your thoughts on the matter.

GO BILLS!

-DIEHARD 1967

Personally, I give him this season and perhaps one more preseason to drastically improve, after that, SEE YA!

I am all for patience, but we need more from a #1 draft pick.

There is no right or wrong answer with a time frame to cut ties, it depends on your patience level. :devil:

-DIEHARD 1967

I give him until the last preseason of this year. If he does not outplay the other OLBs - then he simply becomes a backup. If a starting OLB gets injured - he needs to step to the plate.

I hope to god that Maybin wakes up in these next two games.

If you are the coach or GM you have to ask "Do I see the light at the end of the tunnel? Is there an upside here that is realistic?"

I assume Buddy and Chan ask these things of all under-performing players on a regular basis.

The guy has big speed, seemingly a great work ethic and he's VERY young (the 2nd youngest player on the team, I think).

While he didn't light it up in the first game, he showed plenty of speed and stick-to-itiveness. On Thursday he didn't show much at all in his limited time with the scrubs.

Maybe they have already made their decision and he isn't in their plans. Or maybe they have decided he is going to be a situational player this year.

Calling him names, questioning his character, etc are simply stupid reactions from fans who didn't like him as the draft pick, it seems.

I give him until the last preseason of this year. If he does not outplay the other OLBs - then he simply becomes a backup. If a starting OLB gets injured - he needs to step to the plate.

I hope to god that Maybin wakes up in these next two games.

I agree with you!

If you are the coach or GM you have to ask "Do I see the light at the end of the tunnel? Is there an upside here that is realistic?"

I assume Buddy and Chan ask these things of all under-performing players on a regular basis.

The guy has big speed, seemingly a great work ethic and he's VERY young (the 2nd youngest player on the team, I think).

While he didn't light it up in the first game, he showed plenty of speed and stick-to-itiveness. On Thursday he didn't show much at all in his limited time with the scrubs.

Maybe they have already made their decision and he isn't in their plans. Or maybe they have decided he is going to be a situational player this year.

Calling him names, questioning his character, etc are simply stupid reactions from fans who didn't like him as the draft pick, it seems.

I am not angry with the selection, we just need to see something soon!

Keep him forever. I enjoy the natural scent of human sweat feeding bacteria. A stench to some is a flower to others.

I am all for patience, but we need more from a #1 draft pick. It's money vs production

GO BILLS!

-DIEHARD 1967

i believe i heard chan say that he thinks maybins pass rushing skills are there, but he needs to do more to get on the field on 1st and 2nd downs, against the run. Which may explain why he is playing with the scrubs, to offer him more playing time in general. Idk. I don't have any problem with him, he works hard.

Its just like any other player. He can have all the athletic ability in the world, but if he's an awful football player and shows no real sign of improving, at some point the cost of keeping him on the roster starts to outweigh that potential. Are we to that point yet with Maybin? In my opinion, probably not, but given that this is a new staff, I think he really needs to show he can play sooner rather than later.

He needs 3 full NFL seasons. If at the end of his 3rd NFL season he's not starting, then I'd make a decision. Pass rushers sometimes take more time than other positions. I would be concerned that he doesn't look much bigger than last season. To play OLB in a 3-4 he needs to be an actual 245-255. I don't think he's within 10 pounds of that.

I don't care for his look-at-me attitude, but he's 22 years old for goodness sakes.

I just hope we've cut our ties to the morons who drafted him with the 11th OP. This team's dismal decade past is only mirrored by it's legacy of horrendous drafting in the early rounds.

I totally agree..............its not his fault that where and when he was picked. The kid has done nothing but work, work, and work. Hes stayed out of trouble. I believe the stigma w/ Maybin is that he followed other first round draft picks that have not played like first round draft picks. Now, Whitner and Leodis are good players but have they really played like 11th overall material? I do not believe so, Byrd has! How bout Mike WIlliams, or McCargo, etc. Its frustrating when your only light at the end of the fan tunnel every yr is the draft 5 months after the season. IDK when considering Maybin I see Orakpo, he made the PB.......thats first round play. I cannot believe Modrak is still employed w/ the Bills......I am sure Maybin was Jauron decision but my health will decline if I discuss Jauron.

I like Maybin so with all things considered I would give him this yr then see ya.

Edited by C-zone Umpa

He needs 3 full NFL seasons. If at the end of his 3rd NFL season he's not starting, then I'd make a decision. Pass rushers sometimes take more time than other positions. I would be concerned that he doesn't look much bigger than last season. To play OLB in a 3-4 he needs to be an actual 245-255. I don't think he's within 10 pounds of that.

I don't care for his look-at-me attitude, but he's 22 years old for goodness sakes.

I agree with this. What was disturbing was the way 2nd string Redskins pushed him around.

We've seen enough already. He's got all the potential in the world. Awesome speed great motor, drive, determination, work ethic, but is about 50lbs. to light. Had all offseason to put it on and nothing. Great looking player, if he was a wide receiver. Get's tossed to the side like a plastic bag. I think the coach has seen enough after preseason game also.

Guest dog14787

Great post, give the kid a chance :thumbsup:

I love when people bring up his salary as a reason to cut him...like we pay him directly out of our pockets. Also, if we cut him, what makes you think Ralph would spend the money strengthening the position?

The kid works hard and is still developing, if he's showing nothing after next year, then cut him.

I love when people bring up his salary as a reason to cut him...like we pay him directly out of our pockets. Also, if we cut him, what makes you think Ralph would spend the money strengthening the position?

The kid works hard and is still developing, if he's showing nothing after next year, then cut him.

I love it when people believe money means nothing and overpaid players should just clean locker rooms after the game! :flirt:

I am giving him 2 full seasons and 3 training camps. I didn't even say he needed to be great!

But, he needs to play at a much higher level OR he is a rip off and I will spend the money elsewhere.

Edited by DIE HARD 1967

Young...hard worker...speed...

Sounds like he'd make a solid special teams player. Even with a fair degree of latitude given for his age, not an impressive showing as a pass rusher or run stopper when he's been on the field, even in preseason against other teams' marginal talent. Personally, I don't see the exponential improvement happening that he'd need to be worth a #1 pick, or necessarily even a starter on a good defense.

Hope I'm wrong.

Young...hard worker...speed...

Sounds like he'd make a solid special teams player. Even with a fair degree of latitude given for his age, not an impressive showing as a pass rusher or run stopper when he's been on the field, even in preseason against other teams' marginal talent. Personally, I don't see the exponential improvement happening that he'd need to be worth a #1 pick, or necessarily even a starter on a good defense.

Hope I'm wrong.

He clearly need to make an impact THIS SEASON. Something, anything......block a punt,sack a 2nd string QB.....something! :unsure:

He was drafted as a project and was only 21 years old...It is said that it takes 3 years to judge a draft...so you have

1) a young very raw talent coming out of college

2) is now learning a new position in his second year

3) is now under his second coaching staff in his second year

I have never agreed with the pick of Maybin but hes here for a while so we may as well support him.. there are other players on the roster that we could be complaining about... McCargo, Kirk Chambers, Fitzpatrick, etc..

I'm remaining hopeful Maybin can be a big time pro!!!

I believe his chances are about 50/50.

Wait and see, if he plays well some fan will say "I" wanted to waive him.

Nooooo, I said he gets one more full year and a 2011 training camp ( if there is one). If he looks no better, then SEE YA :thumbdown:

Edited by DIE HARD 1967

I love it when people believe money means nothing and overpaid players should just clean locker rooms after the game! :flirt:

I am giving him 2 full seasons and 3 training camps. I didn't even say he needed to be great!

But, he needs to play at a much higher level OR he is a rip off and I will spend the money elsewhere.

Ahhh, but you're assuming we would actually spend the money elsewhere.

I agree with much of what you say in this thread. But I have to say, I don't really care about what a player gets paid, unless he is under-performing his contract and that is preventing this team from picking up someone else. As the team has operated under the cap, for the most part, for a few years, I don't think that is an issue at the moment

I believe his chances are about 50/50.

Wait and see, if he plays well some fan will say "I" wanted to waive him.

Nooooo, I said he gets one more full year and a 2011 training camp ( if there is one). If he looks no better, then SEE YA :thumbdown:

50-50? You have a bit more confidence than I, but I think we both agree it's OK at this point it time, to give the guy a shot.

So you are saying we should keep him BECAUSE we won't spend the money elsewhere, either way YOU lose! :nana:

Not at all. Contracts are in a sense, an investment on the future potential of a player. Especially rookie contracts. There is no fiscal reason to cut him so early especially after a protracted holdout last year that one can assume is beneficial in part to both sides. His contract is already in the future plans of the team, so its not like the FO is saying each offseason, "damn it, I wish we could make a move but Maybin's contract is screwing us." Comparing the returns of a rookie's deal (or second year player) to that of a free agent is wrong and misleading, something a think a lot of people do when looking at Maybin compared to other player's deals. For better or worse, its apples and oranges.

Maybin is a major disappointment. He was projected as a 3-4 OLB and has failed to grasp that role in the first year he has been given the chance to play that position.

Apart from flashes of speed, i've seen nothing to impress me on a pass rush front, really not great use of his hands, and he has no bull rush to speak of.

He needs to show something now that Torbor is out for a while, or else he is going to be riding the pine and looking for a new job in January.

I pretty much agree with these comments, Dean. I'm not impressed with Maybin so far, but you have to believe Nix/Gailey are asking these questions.

GO BILLS!

-DIEHARD 1967

Maybin has no ties to this Administration. I say if he can't cut it and get into the starting rotation, you gotta cut him. He's a first rounder costing us a-lot of money. I can't see paying the guy what he's getting paid to be a backup for the back ups. Right now he's part of the third string defense.

I just hope we've cut our ties to the morons who drafted him with the 11th OP. This team's dismal decade past is only mirrored by it's legacy of horrendous drafting in the early rounds.

Exactly. The blame here is not with Maybin, but with those who drafted him at #11 and passed up Oher and Okrakpo, etc.

He came out too early, he is younger than half the rookies and given time I think he'll grow into his job. He'll probably backup this year and get enough experience to start next year.

You make a good point.He came out early so that fact probably buys him a little bit more time. I'm hoping you're right about next year. It did concern me to see him playing deep into the fourth quarter when all the "scrubs" are in the game. Maybe Gailey thinks he needs the reps.

GO BILLS!

-DIEHARD 1967

It is far too early now to give up on a first round pick, especially switching to a defense that supposedly will fit him better. I say, like you, give him until about this time next season to improve, if not dump him in the final cuts before the season starts in 2011 (if there is a season, that is).