Trent Edwards the next Bills Starter?

Based on these facts I think Trent will start and play well:

In the Nfl if you start and win you get the win, so in Trents case that about evens out based on JP injuries and his. With that:

Trent's win vs loses are

5-4 in 2007

7-7 in 2008

2-5 in 2009

14-16 career win/lose.

Now in those starts he has a career 61.3 completion %.

Now flip a coin on the following games that the defense and special teams help lose:

2007 Cleveland

2008 Cleveland

2009 Cleveland and Monday night meltdown NE.

I kept the Dallas meltdown a lose, because he threw 3 int's.

With these four games he is 18-13 career win/lose and he plays more games.

Also with a weak OL you have to Checkdown in this league. Even with playoff teams OL's Rodgers and Ben got put on thier back 87 times and 143 times respectively over the same three years and Fitz was sacked 59 times over the last two years (he has no 2007 stat's) against Trent's career sacks of just 58.

Now add Chan's coaching and I think he does well.

I know stats are for losers, but is he really a loser or was he in a "No Win" situation and produce well for 3 year guy?

:blink:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know stats are for losers, but is he really a loser or was he in a "No Win" situation and produce well for 3 year guy?

He is a loser who has NEVER played well against upper echelon teams. Enough with the analysis of his play before the AZ concussion (not you specifically, but other TE apologists); he wasn't exactly slinging the ball all over the field and leading comebacks against the PITs, NEs*, and INDs of the NFL. He is what he is and what he has always been ever since he graduated high school - a mediocre QB. There is only one thing Trentative Edwards could do to shut me up and change other similar opinions about him - PLAY WELL/WIN AGAINST CONTENDERS!

Based on these facts I think Trent will start and play well:

In the Nfl if you start and win you get the win, so in Trents case that about evens out based on JP injuries and his. With that:

Trent's win vs loses are

5-4 in 2007

7-7 in 2008

2-5 in 2009

14-16 career win/lose.

Now in those starts he has a career 61.3 completion %.

Now flip a coin on the following games that the defense and special teams help lose:

2007 Cleveland

2008 Cleveland

2009 Cleveland and Monday night meltdown NE.

I kept the Dallas meltdown a lose, because he threw 3 int's.

With these four games he is 18-13 career win/lose and he plays more games.

Also with a weak OL you have to Checkdown in this league. Even with playoff teams OL's Rodgers and Ben got put on thier back 87 times and 143 times respectively over the same three years and Fitz was sacked 59 times over the last two years (he has no 2007 stat's) against Trent's career sacks of just 58.

Now add Chan's coaching and I think he does well.

LMAO...dude, Trent was a main reason we lost those games you listed...not to mention, many of those wins you credit him for we got because of our D and ST, not because of Trent who played bad in many of those wins.

Trent has been atrocious in way more games than he has been good in. The completion % is an illusion, just watch the games rather than google stats. He is not very accurate throwing past 10 yards and sees his completion % significantly boosted as a direct result of all the chekdown short throws and screens.

The BIGGEST Bills myth of all time is definitely Trents accuracy. His passes dont hit recievers in stride, often flutter, puts way too much air on med to deeper balls allowing DB's to make plays on the ball or tackle the WR immediately, throws them too high/low/short, etc.

This guy has not been nearly as accurate as people want to believe because his % looks good on paper. All you have to do is stop and think how many times our recievers were able to catch the ball in stride and make plays after the catch...not very often.

Who knows, maybe Chan can help him take a big leap forward, lord knows we need someone too. But, his past performances have shown him to not be very accurate on med to longer throws nor has he demonstrated a good enough ability to read defenses and time his throws.

I hope Brohm wins. I like QBs with a cannon arm.

Just be careful there.....that cannon arm needs to be connected to some semblance of a brain. JP ostensibly had a pretty good gun, but ..... well ....... no I can't go over all that again...... :bag:

This guy has not been nearly as accurate as people want to believe because his % looks good on paper. All you have to do is stop and think how many times our recievers were able to catch the ball in stride and make plays after the catch...not very often.

Who knows, maybe Chan can help him take a big leap forward, lord knows we need someone too. But, his past performances have shown him to not be very accurate on med to longer throws nor has he demonstrated a good enough ability to read defenses and time his throws.

An equally relevant question -- think how many times our receivers ran routes that didn't simply involve turning around and waiting for the pass? Not very often.

Just be careful there.....that cannon arm needs to be connected to some semblance of a brain. JP ostensibly had a pretty good gun, but ..... well ....... no I can't go over all that again...... :bag:

that shouldnt be a problem, according to his scouting reports he is is very smart player, heady was the the word i think, and should have no problem picking up the system

I hope to god Trent is not the starter...cannot go through another year full of excuses for the bum. A good QB finds a way to succeed regardless of his surroundings. Makes everyone around him look better etc. Trent is aweful.

An equally relevant question -- think how many times our receivers ran routes that didn't simply involve turning around and waiting for the pass? Not very often.

Come on now...I cant tell you how many times we had guys open and in place to make plays where Trent literally just dumped off on some check down. It is no mistake he is nicknamed Capt Checkdown, its because he earned that title. I mean he wouldnt even try and throw to them. Against NE, TO and Lee and the other WR's combined for 5 targets if I am not mistaken or something close to that while Moss and Welker combined for over 30 by themselves.

Come on now...I cant tell you how many times we had guys open and in place to make plays where Trent literally just dumped off on some check down. It is no mistake he is nicknamed Capt Checkdown, its because he earned that title. I mean he wouldnt even try and throw to them. Against NE, TO and Lee and the other WR's combined for 5 targets if I am not mistaken or something close to that while Moss and Welker combined for over 30 by themselves.

yes... but how much of that was Dick-less Juaron's "Play not to lose" style vs nearly everyone else's play to win strategy?

As much as i'm hoping for brohm to win, I dont think TE is QUITE as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Plus, if he does start the season, if history is anything he probably wont make it all the way through it

I hope to god Trent is not the starter...cannot go through another year full of excuses for the bum. A good QB finds a way to succeed regardless of his surroundings. Makes everyone around him look better etc. Trent is aweful.

Yea...."aweful" isn't a word. And believe me, there is no QB in the NFL that would have succeeded on any team Trent has been the starting QB for. The problem has been an utter lack of talent. No talent on the line, no talent at WR. Now I know you will say "Oh but he has Lee Evans." Please refer to my above comment about no talent at WR.

I'm not saying Trent is a good QB. I'm simply saying we certainly have not seen him play to full potential, and also that Joe Montana would look pretty terrible surrounded by this Bills team. And don't expect it to be pretty this year. It's always the darkest right before the sun rises, and this season should prove that out.

I believe Chan Gailey can and will do a good job, and that our draft was solid and I do like their apparent philosophy. But it looks pretty hopeless for the Bills this year and probably next year as well. After that - who knows. Will we fans allow Chan time to get his system fully implemented? Probably not. So really while I think Chan was a good hire, it will probably lead to rebuilding for 2-3 years while being mired in mediocrity if not down right horrible football, fans growing impatient because the system isn't working, Chan being fired, and the process starting all over again as we attempt to switch back to a base 4-3 defense (should be about fully phased back in by then). Oh yea - and then Ralph Wilson dies and the Bills become the Los Angeles Terminators. Pretty much sums up how I feel about the state of the franchise. :bag:

yes... but how much of that was Dick-less Juaron's "Play not to lose" style vs nearly everyone else's play to win strategy?

As much as i'm hoping for brohm to win, I dont think TE is QUITE as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Plus, if he does start the season, if history is anything he probably wont make it all the way through it

axel, check trent college stats, his passing YPA hovered b/t 5.8-7, just like in the pros, he's a small ball QB, always has been.

Another equally relevant question: Why?

Was it due to poor coaching?

Or was it due to a coaching staff trying to conform an offense around a QB with limited capabilities?

Yea...."aweful" isn't a word. And believe me, there is no QB in the NFL that would have succeeded on any team Trent has been the starting QB for. The problem has been an utter lack of talent. No talent on the line, no talent at WR. Now I know you will say "Oh but he has Lee Evans." Please refer to my above comment about no talent at WR.

I'm not saying Trent is a good QB. I'm simply saying we certainly have not seen him play to full potential, and also that Joe Montana would look pretty terrible surrounded by this Bills team. And don't expect it to be pretty this year. It's always the darkest right before the sun rises, and this season should prove that out.

I believe Chan Gailey can and will do a good job, and that our draft was solid and I do like their apparent philosophy. But it looks pretty hopeless for the Bills this year and probably next year as well. After that - who knows. Will we fans allow Chan time to get his system fully implemented? Probably not. So really while I think Chan was a good hire, it will probably lead to rebuilding for 2-3 years while being mired in mediocrity if not down right horrible football, fans growing impatient because the system isn't working, Chan being fired, and the process starting all over again as we attempt to switch back to a base 4-3 defense (should be about fully phased back in by then). Oh yea - and then Ralph Wilson dies and the Bills become the Los Angeles Terminators. Pretty much sums up how I feel about the state of the franchise. :bag:

Again, a good QB makes everyone around him look good. Its a 2 way street. You listed all of those players around him as bad, but what makes you think that Trent has anymore talent than those around him. So Trent is somehow better than all the players around him? Based on what exactly?

You're implying Evans has no talent? I hope not, because while *maybe* you can say that about every other WR on the roster, Evans could start for pretty much any other team in the NFL.

Ok

I have a question. How can all the posters against Trent or any QB for that matter. Say he always checks down or misses the open guy.

When I watch a game at home, the camera keys on the ball and you very rarely see the whole field and at a game its almost the same way, you may be watching the WR saying thier open, but quickly look back and the QB has dumped it off and you may see the pressure or the flow of the game changes and your not sure all you know is that like everybody else at the game your pissed at the QB, maybe someone should have held thier block or maybe the WR who is so open ran the wrong route, who knows.

Not any of the fans, only the coaches and players who new the play call and blocking assignments know the miss q's.

I don't see how we can be game film critics, by just watching network coverage.

As for the quality of the flight of the ball. No QB throws the perfect pass every time. Montana's pass on the Catch was a bad throw that Clark made look good, Kilmer could only throw a thight pass underhanded, watch the NFL Network and I would say 50% of the great passes they show/hightlight are wably and off the mark and the WR makes the QB look good.

Network guys say "that's the only place he could have thrown it" and say BS. In the heat of the game very few QB's can put it in the WR back pocket, it's usally the WR adjusting and making a great catch in my opinion.

Help me out here?

and he was a decent scrambler. Apart from those two things, did he have any other positives?

Hate to use the cliche, but he plays with heart. How many other QBs do you see lead blocking out of the backfield like Fitz did on a couple occasions last year? Obviously that may not be a good thing if it leads to injury, but you can really see that Fitz is a competitor.

that shouldnt be a problem, according to his scouting reports he is is very smart player, heady was the the word i think, and should have no problem picking up the system

mmm hmm. Well, those scouting reports and $1.00 will get you a cuppa joe at Mickey D's, no tip.

First of all, lets let Chan decide who the starter will be after pre season is over. That's what he was brought in to do and he needs the chance to do it. Second of all, if it IS Brohm, lets see how he does in game time situations, with bodies akimbo and some serious crap hitting the fan. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but there is a lot more at stake here than a cannon arm and headiness. There is improvisation, especially if the OL doesn't hold up and receivers aren't getting open. There is the ability to throw the ball away rather than take sack after sack after sack and lose huge chunks of yards, as just about every QB since Flutie has failed to do.

I have no problem with any of the 3 supposed starters, as long as Chan has made the best decision from what he has seen and who he thinks gives the team the best chance to win over the course of the season.

Hate to use the cliche, but he plays with heart. How many other QBs do you see lead blocking out of the backfield like Fitz did on a couple occasions last year? Obviously that may not be a good thing if it leads to injury, but you can really see that Fitz is a competitor.

the "he" referenced here was (God help me) JP....not Fitz.

Jeez guys, how many times can we run through the same posts on Edwards.

Anyone who watched last year knows that Edwards blows.

Even when he had all the time in the world, he checked down.

Even on 3rd and 15, he checked down. He lost his job on merit. He gave the team absolutely no chance to win.

Now maybe Gailey is a miracle worker and can get something out of him. It's happened before.

But at this time, I for one do not make him the "favorite" and believe he could name any of the three the starter. Frankly, I'm a little surprised Travis Brown has been eliminated from consideration so quickly.

I like any QB that wins.

So do I, but there hasn't ever been a quarterback that has won by himself without a good team around him. Not Marino, Elway, Unitas, Montana, Kelly-none have ever won by himself. You have a better chance to win with an average QB on a good team than a good QB on an average or worse team.

You're implying Evans has no talent? I hope not, because while *maybe* you can say that about every other WR on the roster, Evans could start for pretty much any other team in the NFL.

Some people just aren't that smart man. It's sad. They want to believe so badly that Trent is really a STAR whose growth and progression has been stunted that they question the few things that are actually our strengths. WR is a mess of unproven potential but the exception, Lee Evans, is one of our few stars. Last year we also had the 3rd best WR to ever play the game, TO, and Edwards still passed to RBs and TE's quite ineffectively at that.

There is a funny thing that seems to happen with GOOD QBs. They MAKE WRs look good. How many times have you seen good QB's succeed with previously unknowns at WR?!??!? WRs that did nothing before playing with a good QB and did nothing after? It's a yin/yan thing. I have said this a million times before. WRs CAN'T THROW THEMSELVES THE BALL!

So do I, but there hasn't ever been a quarterback that has won by himself without a good team around him. Not Marino, Elway, Unitas, Montana, Kelly-none have ever won by himself. You have a better chance to win with an average QB on a good team than a good QB on an average or worse team.

I don't know what you were watching but John Elway carried those 80s and early 90s Broncos teams. They had no offensive talent around him and he carried them to 3 SBs. That' why he's the best QB ever in my opinion.

Again, a good QB makes everyone around him look good. Its a 2 way street. You listed all of those players around him as bad, but what makes you think that Trent has anymore talent than those around him. So Trent is somehow better than all the players around him? Based on what exactly?

Agreed....Both Rogers and Rothelisberger were two of the most sacked QBs in the league and yet they threw for lot of yards and made plays with their feet. Both teams have a pretty poor to average OL.

Trent hasn't shown the consistency to make others better around him, except for the 5 game period. What I have missed from TRent last season was his calm demanor and the ability to pull the team together, attributes that he displayed heavily in 2007 and 2008.

Agreed....Both Rogers and Rothelisberger were two of the most sacked QBs in the league and yet they threw for lot of yards and made plays with their feet. Both teams have a pretty poor to average OL.

Trent hasn't shown the consistency to make others better around him, except for the 5 game period. What I have missed from TRent last season was his calm demanor and the ability to pull the team together, attributes that he displayed heavily in 2007 and 2008.

I'm not sure what games you were watching but I didn't see any demonstrated, much less heavily demonstrated, ability to pull the team together or encourage a calm demeanor in 2007 2008. If you take lifeless lack lust performance for calm demeanor I'll agree with that performance. Perhaps in comparison to JP Trent looked calm but he was actually less effective so I will give you that on a technicality.

I'm not actually defending Trent but Rodger and Rothlisberger are rare exceptions who have succeeded with terrible lines. That being said Trent should have EASILY been able to show that he had something to give us "hope for the future". He displayed absolutely nothing to give me any hope for our future with him at the helm.