Losman Looking Good in Seattle

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, that's surprising. Couldn't be that teams that are winning generally run a lot, could it? And that teams that are behind often pass a lot to catch up? That couldn't be the explanation, could it? Nah, I'm sure you're right that there's some other twisted reason for doing what is basic NFL strategy, and particularly teams whose second reciever was Peerless Price on his second trip through Buffalo, and who after that featured Josh Reed, Sam Aiken, Roscoe Parrish, and Andre Davis. Yeah, a team with recievers like that and recieving TEs like Cieslak, Murphy, Neufeld and ta-daaaaaa, Robert Royal ... should definitely try passing as much as possible.

People say he only threw to Lee Evans. Gee, what a surprise.

The point you missed is that, in his best year, the Bills won when they limited Losman's passing exposure.

I'm sorry but you don't really believe that crap do you? The Bills sabotaged Losman??? :w00t: How about his lack of decision making, leadership, and ability to complete any pass besides throwing the ball up as far as he could and hope Lee Evans catches it. In his "breakout" season, here are the game logs: http://www.nfl.com/players/j.p.losman/game...amp;season=2006

He had 2 or more turnovers in 7 games. He passed for 200 or less yards in 10 games (and I gave him credit for an amazing 207 performance). The teams he had his best games against (Hou, and Mia) were among the worst defenses in the NFL that year.

I really don't hate Losman. But I hate that people still make excuses. He killed Mularkey, who has succeed with every QB he has had besides Losman and Joey Harrington. But I guess there's people in Detroit who blame Harrington not succeed on everything besides the actual player himself.

I wish my girlfriend was as naive as Losman fans. I could cheat on her all the time and she'd forgive me and make excuses for it.

Explain why, after Losman has a breakthrough-type of year in 2006, the Bills simply shut everything down in 2007. Anyone with a brain (obviously not Dick Jauron), would have continued to do what had made them previously successful. The idiots jauron and fairchild didn't.

The point isn't to argue whether or not Losman would have done well had the Bills kept the 2006 system in place. The point is that the Bills did not formulate a gameplan to give their QB in the best chance for success. This is simply inexcusable, They did not put Losman in the best possible position to succeed, something that was a recurring theme during jauron's 3.5 year reign of horror in Buffalo.

The point you missed is that, in his best year, the Bills won when they limited Losman's passing exposure.

If you can win by running, why keep passing. The Ravens did the exact same thing in 2008 with Flacco. If you can win by pounding the ball, and preventing your young QB from airing it out 30 times a game, then by all means do it.

Explain why, after Losman has a breakthrough-type of year in 2006, the Bills simply shut everything down in 2007. Anyone with a brain (obviously not Dick Jauron), would have continued to do what had made them previously successful. The idiots jauron and fairchild didn't.

The point isn't to argue whether or not Losman would have done well had the Bills kept the 2006 system in place. The point is that the Bills did not formulate a gameplan to give their QB in the best chance for success. This is simply inexcusable, They did not put Losman in the best possible position to succeed, something that was a recurring theme during jauron's 3.5 year reign of horror in Buffalo.

I think that is a valid point. I'm not sure we will ever completely realize the scope of Dicky the J's ineptitude. The best food prepared by a crappy chef is still going to be......well.....crappy.

(Note: this is NOT a snarky reference to our own Chef Jim....JFTR)

That being said, there is no doubt that JP had (has) some inherent bad habits which he may minimize, but in all probability never eliminate. He would never have been the 2nd coming of Kelly, but he certainly could have been used better by Jauron.

Let's hope that Chan's past history of getting the most out of his QB's pays dividends this season.

I think that is a valid point. I'm not sure we will ever completely realize the scope of Dicky the J's ineptitude. The best food prepared by a crappy chef is still going to be......well.....crappy.

(Note: this is NOT a snarky reference to our own Chef Jim....JFTR)

That being said, there is no doubt that JP had (has) some inherent bad habits which he may minimize, but in all probability never eliminate. He would never have been the 2nd coming of Kelly, but he certainly could have been used better by Jauron.

Let's hope that Chan's past history of getting the most out of his QB's pays dividends this season.

Thanks. I agree that JP wouldn't have been the next Kelly. But he did show some signs of life and something to build on in 2006, and then was denied a real opportunity to see if he could build on it. I don't know how well or poorly JP would have played in '07 and '08 if they had run a system to his strengths. But they didn't. Playing off your analogy, you're never going to know how good or bad of a chef someone is if you force them to cook a 5 star meal using only a microwave.

The QB problems just highlight the massive amount of issuess and the terrible terrible road that dick jauron took this team down.

Could have had something to do with the fact we had no run game, one decent WR, pitiful TEs, a crappy OL, an insane insistence on playing Anthony Thomas, and horrendous coaching and play-calling that didn't try to play to a player's strengths.

I'm sorry but you don't really believe that crap do you? The Bills sabotaged Losman??? :w00t: How about his lack of decision making, leadership, and ability to complete any pass besides throwing the ball up as far as he could and hope Lee Evans catches it. In his "breakout" season, here are the game logs: http://www.nfl.com/players/j.p.losman/game...amp;season=2006

He had 2 or more turnovers in 7 games. He passed for 200 or less yards in 10 games (and I gave him credit for an amazing 207 performance). The teams he had his best games against (Hou, and Mia) were among the worst defenses in the NFL that year.

I really don't hate Losman. But I hate that people still make excuses. He killed Mularkey, who has succeed with every QB he has had besides Losman and Joey Harrington. But I guess there's people in Detroit who blame Harrington not succeed on everything besides the actual player himself.

I wish my girlfriend was as naive as Losman fans. I could cheat on her all the time and she'd forgive me and make excuses for it.

In 2006 ,the final nine games of the season. Losman was second in the NFL with a 5.6 t.d. percentage. I don't know, but is that good? They also played 8 games againts playoff teams that year, thats half our games. We had a tough schedule that year. So I don't think he had that bad of a year. I think the combine win and lost record of the teams we played aganst in 2006 was 147 Wins and 109 Lost.

In 2006 ,the final nine games of the season. Losman was second in the NFL with a 5.6 t.d. percentage. I don't know, but is that good? They also played 8 games againts playoff teams that year, thats half our games. We had a tough schedule that year. So I don't think he had that bad of a year. I think the combine win and lost record of the teams we played aganst in 2006 was 147 Wins and 109 Lost.

Pretty much. 2006 was the first and high point of the Dick Levy era, which is a bit of a stick-in-eye to the Losman haters. The Bills played the toughest schedule (2.9 SOS), finished with the best combined offensive and defensive rank (pts), finished the season 5-4 with 3 of those losses by an average of less than 2 points. From there it was all downhill. (Makes the "stay the course" comment by Marv seem all the more laughable.) The second season featured a 2-5 run to the bus and by far their worst point differential (-102). Losman not only didn't continue to improve, he lost his grip on the job. The third season was the free fall year (2-9 run to the bus) when the bottom dropped out after a quick start "earned" Dick an extension against a truly weak schedule and featured more QB carousel with Edwards not being able to stay on the field and Losman losing his grip on simple execution of the basics. Then the fourth year was the train wreck that ended the ignominious Dick Levy era, with the bargain bin free agent QB picked up because he wasn't a threat turning into the starter, a guy off the Packers practice squad starting a game, and the guy Jauron had spent several seasons "developing" as his possible future at the #3 QB being tossed into mid-season retirement.

Pretty much. 2006 was the first and high point of the Dick Levy era, which is a bit of a stick-in-eye to the Losman haters. The Bills played the toughest schedule (2.9 SOS), finished with the best combined offensive and defensive rank (pts), finished the season 5-4 with 3 of those losses by an average of less than 2 points. From there it was all downhill. (Makes the "stay the course" comment by Marv seem all the more laughable.) The second season featured a 2-5 run to the bus and by far their worst point differential (-102). Losman not only didn't continue to improve, he lost his grip on the job. The third season was the free fall year (2-9 run to the bus) when the bottom dropped out after a quick start "earned" Dick an extension against a truly weak schedule and featured more QB carousel with Edwards not being able to stay on the field and Losman losing his grip on simple execution of the basics. Then the fourth year was the train wreck that ended the ignominious Dick Levy era, with the bargain bin free agent QB picked up because he wasn't a threat turning into the starter, a guy off the Packers practice squad starting a game, and the guy Jauron had spent several seasons "developing" as his possible future at the #3 QB being tossed into mid-season retirement.

The most telling thing for me for both Losman and Edwards is the fact that they had a modest degree of early success followed by a precipitous downturn with the common denominator being coaching. Neither one may have the talent to be a ProBowl QB, but we were certainly never going to find out with DJ at the helm.

A lot of Bills fans mistook Losman holding onto the ball too long, and trying to make a play (and often eventually getting sacked) for lack of smarts, but half the time it wasn't at all. A huge majority of those plays were third and long or second and forever, and he was just trying to get something going because we sucked so bad. If he threw it away or dumped it off we were going to punt anyway.

That was part his fault and part horrific coaching, but he was and is not nearly the "no brain" QB that a lot of people think.

The simple fact was that he should have given up on plays that weren't to be had more often than he did, and Trent, in equal doses, gave up too quickly on plays because he was skittish. I think good coaching could have made both of them significantly better at that nick of time decision, and hopefully Gailey can turn it around for Trent.

The line was so bad, it wasn't unusual for them to keep the TE and the backs in to block. With only 2 WR's in the pattern and 4 DB's to cover thme, no one was open.

Also a good point.

Yeah, until they watch him hold the ball for 8 seconds and take a sack and fumble...

You're right. He did hold on too long trying to make something out of nothing. Sometimes just throwing the ball into the dirt is the right play.

I hope he sucks :beer: . The same way I feel about every QB in the NFL, not on the Buffalo Bills. You people need to get over your man crushes.

Im with you bro.

honestly i want him to get the starting job cuz i know he will mess it up.

oh wait....someone will always say. "he needed to have a championship o-line"...or either "his hair was too long and sometimes would get in his eyes." u get the idea. there will always be an excuse for his lack of productivity.

oh crap. i said i was getting out of this thread.

cya.

Sometimes just throwing the ball into the dirt is the right play.

Tossing infield practice was a habit that Losman did cling to, especially when he was rolling right. He was a horrible disgrace of a qb. Did he have the support that he needed? No. Did he suck? Yes, painfully so.

Tossing infield practice was a habit that Losman did cling to, especially when he was rolling right. He was a horrible disgrace of a qb. Did he have the support that he needed? No. Did he suck? Yes, painfully so.

I'm glad to see you can hate Clean up the city boy even all the way to Seattle. Will you still love Trent when he is back in Los Gatos?