Losman Looking Good in Seattle

Tossing infield practice was a habit that Losman did cling to, especially when he was rolling right. He was a horrible disgrace of a qb. Did he have the support that he needed? No. Did he suck? Yes, painfully so.

And yet in the last dozen years, he managed to put up the second best season of any Bills QB during that span (behind 2002 Bledsoe). Your gloved porcelain boy wonder hasn't even come close to replicating Losman's 2006 success.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can win by running, why keep passing. The Ravens did the exact same thing in 2008 with Flacco. If you can win by pounding the ball, and preventing your young QB from airing it out 30 times a game, then by all means do it.

I'm not disagreeing with this. So you would also conclude that the best plan for JPL would have been an offense that did not have him passing as it's centerpiece, but instead was focused on the run.

When they relied on his passing in 2007, they tanked.

Losman got me kicked off the Buffalobills.com message board because people were idiots and did not understand that losman was a huge bust. It pissed me off ever night reading how losman is going to improve with experiance and become a great QB. I would then bash the person beyond belief until I finally got suspended because they would not shut up about how I was wrong and that he was going to be a great QB. I wish I could go back on the website and say i told you so, but its to late now.

And yet in the last dozen years, he managed to put up the second best season of any Bills QB during that span (behind 2002 Bledsoe). Your gloved porcelain boy wonder hasn't even come close to replicating Losman's 2006 success.

Who gives a sh-- about stats. Losman ended 7-9 that year right? Still sh-tty no matter how you spin it.

The point you missed is that, in his best year, the Bills won when they limited Losman's passing exposure.

You seem to have missed the difference between missing something and helping to explain it.

But I'll go over the obvious really quickly again. When you're ahead, you're likely to run more to run time off the clock. When you're behind, you're more likely to have to pass a lot.

Going beyond that, does it surprise you in any way that a team with a QB with 5 passes in his first year and having been in 9 games in his second would in his third year try to feature running and use passing to keep teams honest. It shouldn't. It's common practice. It also appears to be what Gailey plans to do here, and most - me included and I'm guessing you too - are cheering him for it.

If you can win by running, why keep passing. The Ravens did the exact same thing in 2008 with Flacco. If you can win by pounding the ball, and preventing your young QB from airing it out 30 times a game, then by all means do it.

Ah, you already explained it, and better than me besides. Nice post.

Guest dog14787

Under the guidance of Jim Fassel, JP Losman has improved both his mechanics and mental approach to the game of football in my opinion.

A small adjustment of spreading his legs more and bending at the knees slightly upon delivery has helped stabilize Losman's throw and increase his confidence/ accuracy.

Why did JP Losman have to learn in a minor league division what he should have learned in the NFL you might ask.

You tell me...

I'm not disagreeing with this. So you would also conclude that the best plan for JPL would have been an offense that did not have him passing as it's centerpiece, but instead was focused on the run.

And I'm not disagreeing that when you have a young QB, concentrating on the running game is generally a good idea.

I wonder where you get that they relied on his passing and that was the reason they tanked. 445 of 919 plays were passes. Less than 50%. But the problem was the plays. They changed the system that was working for JP and closed up the playbook. It just didn't make sense.

I don't know whether he'll ever be a good QB. I do know that after 2006, he never had a chance in Buffalo.

Losman got me kicked off the Buffalobills.com message board because people were idiots and did not understand that losman was a huge bust. It pissed me off ever night reading how losman is going to improve with experiance and become a great QB. I would then bash the person beyond belief until I finally got suspended because they would not shut up about how I was wrong and that he was going to be a great QB. I wish I could go back on the website and say i told you so, but its to late now.

Yeah, I can see it was all their fault. You obviously bear no responsibility for being thrown off those boards.

Who gives a sh-- about stats. Losman ended 7-9 that year right? Still sh-tty no matter how you spin it.

Yup, it was crappy.

But nope, Losman was not 7 - 9. The Buffalo Bills were. Losman played very well considering the lack of talent on that offense. You can hold Losman responsible for how well he played QB. Holding him responsible for the defense and the rest of the team means you don't get it.

Under the guidance of Jim Fassel, JP Losman has improved both his mechanics and mental approach to the game of football in my opinion.

A small adjustment of spreading his legs more and bending at the knees slightly upon delivery has helped stabilize Losman's throw and increase his confidence/ accuracy.

Why did JP Losman have to learn in a minor league division what he should have learned in the NFL you might ask.

You tell me...

Ouch. Wince.

Yeah, it's been SO much better with Edwards. Hopefully they limit his chances to zero.

I love when bash Edwards to pimp Losman. I supported both QBs and gave them 3 years until it became clear they weren't good enough for the job. But here's the major difference. Losman was a frist round pick who we had to give up additional picks for. Edwards was a 3rd round pick. Edwards could have been great in a Frank Reich type role (a former 3rd rounder) and had potential trade value if Losman didn't suck and lose his job.

Arguing that Edwards failing is as bad as Losman failing is just dumb. Losman's failure set this franchise much further back than a 3rd round QB.

Additionally, even with Losman's "magical" 2006 season (made off 2 games but whatever), Edwards has the better numbers and the much better record. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaTr01.htm http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LosmJ.00.htm Just as Holcomb performed much better and won more with the same team as Losman.

But keeping blaming the coaches for Losman being a terrible pick. I'm sure there are manics on Bears, Lions, and Ravens boards doing the same for Grossman, Harrington, and Boller. Just give it up. He is a bad NFL QB and Trent Edwards isn't the reason why nor were the coaches.

You tell me...

;)

Umm, because he was playing minor league football against terrible competition. You are really surprised that a former 1st round QB won play decent against has beens and never was? If Losman was playing beach flag football (which is awesome by the way) and dominated, would you attribute that to him improving as a Qb or lack of competition?

Steve Fairchild performed a miracle in 2006 making Losman like a starting NFL. Instead of bashing him, maybe you should realize he did a good job with a QB that lacked major QB instincts.

Yeah, it's been SO much better with Edwards. Hopefully they limit his chances to zero.

They both failed for different reasons. Edwards is too gun shy and Losman lacks the ability to read a defense and make quick decisions.

But the Bills won a lot more under Edwards than Losman. And if a team like the RAvens need a starting QB to jsut play his role, they would go a lot farther with Edwards than Losman. Edwards might win the game by himself but he won't potentially lose the game like Losman either.

I love when bash Edwards to pimp Losman. I supported both QBs and gave them 3 years until it became clear they weren't good enough for the job. But here's the major difference. Losman was a frist round pick who we had to give up additional picks for. Edwards was a 3rd round pick. Edwards could have been great in a Frank Reich type role (a former 3rd rounder) and had potential trade value if Losman didn't suck and lose his job.

Arguing that Edwards failing is as bad as Losman failing is just dumb. Losman's failure set this franchise much further back than a 3rd round QB.

Additionally, even with Losman's "magical" 2006 season (made off 2 games but whatever), Edwards has the better numbers and the much better record. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaTr01.htm http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LosmJ.00.htm Just as Holcomb performed much better and won more with the same team as Losman.

But keeping blaming the coaches for Losman being a terrible pick. I'm sure there are manics on Bears, Lions, and Ravens boards doing the same for Grossman, Harrington, and Boller. Just give it up. He is a bad NFL QB and Trent Edwards isn't the reason why nor were the coaches.

My Edwards bashing is a direct shot at Bill, who still can't leave the attacks on losman alone. Edwards is no better than Losman. Pinning team records on a QB is the height of stupidity and immediately invalidates any argument.

Edwards has failed for the same reasons Losman did. the failure of the coaching staff to put him in a position to succeed. (That an the ultra-conservative jauron forcing edwards to simply check down and making him afraid of throwing the ball past the LOS)

And you still have yet to explain why the Bills moved away from an offense that Losman has some success in, as if they set him up to have 0 chance of success.

Guest dog14787
:thumbsup:

Umm, because he was playing minor league football against terrible competition. You are really surprised that a former 1st round QB won play decent against has beens and never was? If Losman was playing beach flag football (which is awesome by the way) and dominated, would you attribute that to him improving as a Qb or lack of competition?

Steve Fairchild performed a miracle in 2006 making Losman like a starting NFL. Instead of bashing him, maybe you should realize he did a good job with a QB that lacked major QB instincts.

With all due respect Biscuit, Fairchild was the original mastermind that created the slimmy beast we've been calling an offense and up until last season remnants of the monster still remained. The Mike Martz offense became a thing nightmares are made out of if your a QB in my opinion and is directly responsible for the poor offensive output we have had since its inception here in Buffalo.

Chan Gailey has finally slain the nasty creature and put the beast to rest forever...

My Edwards bashing is a direct shot at Bill, who still can't leave the attacks on losman alone. Edwards is no better than Losman. Pinning team records on a QB is the height of stupidity and immediately invalidates any argument.

Edwards has failed for the same reasons Losman did. the failure of the coaching staff to put him in a position to succeed. (That an the ultra-conservative jauron forcing edwards to simply check down and making him afraid of throwing the ball past the LOS)

And you still have yet to explain why the Bills moved away from an offense that Losman has some success in, as if they set him up to have 0 chance of success.

The offense that Losman had success with was because of the defenses he played against. A bunch of the teams Losman had the most success against were some of the worst ranked pass defenses (Mia - 21, Ten - 25, and his monster game against the Texans was against the 30th ranked pass defense http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?off...mp;d-447263-p=1 )

I believe like me, you are pretty reasonable Bills fan. I don't hate Losman and have met him a few tiems. Solid dude but for other people, I have heard he wasn't exactly respected as a leader. I just hate the excuses. Everyone jsut assumes that the coaches were holding Losman back but I believe it was the otehr way around. If you let Losman try and chuck the ball around, you would kill your chances of winning. And I still stand by the fact that if NFL coaches believed you had any salvagable talent, you won't be out of the league like he was last year.

I don't hide the fact that I supported both guys and gave them 3 years to prove themselves. Neither did. I jsut think Losman failing as a 1st rounder is much worse that Edwards failing as a 3rd. And while I'm ready to move on to our next "franchise" QB, if you made me pick a QB for one game between Losman & Edwards, I'd still chose Edwards. But that's not saying much.

Bring on Brohm or Jake Locker.

With all due respect Biscuit, Fairchild was the original mastermind that created the slimmy beast we've been calling an offense and up until last season remnants of the monster still remained. The Mike Martz offense became a thing nightmares are made out of if your a QB in my opinion and is directly responsible for the poor offensive output we have had since its inception here in Buffalo.

Chan Gailey has finally slain the nasty creature and put the beast to rest forever...

Agree to disagree. Jauron's biggest fault was trying in 1st time time OCs but I really believe Fairchild maximize Losman's NFL abilities. Fairchild became the head coach of Colorado State and in his first season, won more games that they previous 2 years combined and a bowl game.

Mularkey also failed with Losman yet succeed with Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart, and Matt Ryan. The only QBs he struggles to get to perform were Losman and Harrington. I don't think that is a coincidence. They were not starting NFL QBS.

I suppose the difference is that JP was more of a loser. He has what, 10 or so career wins in 5 years? He simply lost game after game. You can reach for any stats that may or may not make you feel better, but JP Losman is a loser.

I suppose the difference is that JP was more of a loser. He has what, 10 or so career wins in 5 years? He simply lost game after game. You can reach for any stats that may or may not make you feel better, but JP Losman is a loser.

If we're going to attribute wins and losses to QB's, Edwards has lost more games than he's won. He too is a loser, although not as much as JP. Not really much of a calling card for either player.