Why won't the Bills give a #2 pick for Gaither?

It has been reported that Baltimore would trade Gaither for a #2 pick in the 2011 draft. What do you think is the reason the Bills arn't willing to make that trade?

Because he's lazy, unmotivated, and likely to demand a mega contract at the end of the year.

Because he's lazy, unmotivated, and likely to demand a mega contract at the end of the year.

A mega contract would likely have to be reached before the trade is made. Why would you trade a 2nd round pick for a guy signed through only next season? Then, do you want to spend that kind of money on a player who has had motivation questions throughout his college and pro career?

Ill bet my bottom dollar this deal still gets done.

Wait until mandatory mini camps start and training camp, once Gaither starts whining about being the RT. Thats when we scoop him up for a 3rd or a 4th and a player, or something along those lines. I just have a gut feeling this will still get done, just why rush it? See if his value falls a bit.

It has been reported that Baltimore would trade Gaither for a #2 pick in the 2011 draft. What do you think is the reason the Bills arn't willing to make that trade?

Assuming they really want Gaither, which has been reported but not confirmed. I can think of two reasons. One is that Gaither may be injured to the severity that he cannot pass the Bills physical at this time. The second reason is that the Bills would want to have an agreed upon framework of a contract with Gaither's agent in place before they trade for him. Of course they would need the Raven's permission to do this and I am sure it would be granted if a deal was in place.

Why give up a second round pick on a former 5th round pick with work ethic and attitude problems who needs a new contract when you just picked up a LT in the fifth that many had rated as a third round talent. See what you have first, and wait for the price to drop. There's a reason Baltimore is shopping him.

Why give up a second round pick on a former 5th round pick with work ethic and attitude problems who needs a new contract when you just picked up a LT in the fifth that many had rated as a third round talent. See what you have first, and wait for the price to drop. There's a reason Baltimore is shopping him.

What he said ^ Be patient. In Buddy we trust.

It was also reported that Marshawn would be traded before the draft. It was also reported that Cowher was strongly considering being the Bills head coach. I could go on and on and on.

The people who reported that Gaither was available for a third were guessing or reporting rumors.

How do you know that the Bills haven't already offered a second?

A mega contract would likely have to be reached before the trade is made. Why would you trade a 2nd round pick for a guy signed through only next season? Then, do you want to spend that kind of money on a player who has had motivation questions throughout his college and pro career?

The motivation questions are based just as strongly on rumors and nothing else as the fact that Baltimore would take a second for Gaither.

In college, he was never once accused of any football-related motivation questions. He was having major motivation problems in the classroom. If you don't take any players on your team who have had classroom issues, you'd have a hard time putting together a 45 man roster.

There's also a reason Baltimore would love to keep him on the roster this year and franchise him next year (assuming that some kind of labor agreement is in place) and either keep him or trade him then. Baltimore, unlike the Bills, has a very legitimate shot at a Super Bowl this year, and having Gaither (at about $3 mill for the year) makes them a great deal better.

Nix and Gailey have a plan , building the team through the draft , giving away high draft picks on a player that may have some issues as far as work ethic & other possible things $ , may be part of it .

Here's one back at you why with Marshawn being a first round pick with two 1000 yd seasons under his belt at 24 years old wouldn't any one pony up a second for him ?? Think about it - uncapped year , no labor agreement , small market team rebuilding

why hasn't say Jerry Jones jumped all over that something ain't quite right !!

Either Ozzy is just asking to much for a tainted product or Nix & Gailey have other things in mind !!

GO BILLS !!!!!!

It has been reported that there was a shooter in the grassy knoll. It has been reported that Brett Favre is retired. It has been reported that Dewey defeated Truman.

Back to Aaron Maybin........

Nix and Gailey have a plan , building the team through the draft , giving away high draft picks on a player that may have some issues as far as work ethic & other possible things $ , may be part of it .

Here's one back at you why with Marshawn being a first round pick with two 1000 yd seasons under his belt at 24 years old wouldn't any one pony up a second for him ?? Think about it - uncapped year , no labor agreement , small market team rebuilding

why hasn't say Jerry Jones jumped all over that something ain't quite right !!

Either Ozzy is just asking to much for a tainted product or Nix & Gailey have other things in mind !!

GO BILLS !!!!!!

I'm thinking that maybe the Bills in the Buddy Nix regime are tougher negotiators as far as trades/draftpicks? Maybe, they are demanding a little more than teams want to pony up for Lynch, and Nix feels Lynch's potential is greater than what is on the table...and that he rather keep him than give him away at a degraded value. The same with Gaither, maybe Nix

feels that Baltimore is placing too high of a value on a player that will not start at his true positon, as Baltimore will start Michael Oher at left tackle. Baltimore probably realized Gaither's flaws and that is why he is trade bait. Buddy Nix probably won't go beyond a 3rd pick for Gaither as he can't afford to over compensate teams for a flawed player. I think that last year that Buffalo could have gotten the higher of the two picks in the round as Philly owned two, but we settled on the lower pick. I think Nix may be more patient and will ensure that he doesn't get burned in trades. Making no trade is still better than making a bad trade, although I think it would be great to trade Lynch for whatever the justifiable compensation is.

just picked up a LT in the fifth that many had rated as a third round talent.

Whoa, hold on there. Where was Wang rated that highly? If anything, he was rated lower, and the Bills had to reach to ensure they at least got a tackle at that point. For example, Kyle Calloway who was drafted in the 7th was rated much, much higher than Wang as a tackle. Ed Wang is a project. Anyone expecting any more from him his 1st year is likely to be very disappointed.

I'm thinking that maybe the Bills in the Buddy Nix regime are tougher negotiators as far as trades/draftpicks? Maybe, they are demanding a little more than teams want to pony up for Lynch, and Nix feels Lynch's potential is greater than what is on the table...and that he rather keep him than give him away at a degraded value. The same with Gaither, maybe Nix

feels that Baltimore is placing too high of a value on a player that will not start at his true positon, as Baltimore will start Michael Oher at left tackle. Baltimore probably realized Gaither's flaws and that is why he is trade bait. Buddy Nix probably won't go beyond a 3rd pick for Gaither as he can't afford to over compensate teams for a flawed player. I think that last year that Buffalo could have gotten the higher of the two picks in the round as Philly owned two, but we settled on the lower pick. I think Nix may be more patient and will ensure that he doesn't get burned in trades. Making no trade is still better than making a bad trade, although I think it would be great to trade Lynch for whatever the justifiable compensation is.

I also think Nix wants to see how his line functions when there is a serviceable game plan in place. I'm sure the no huddle debacle last year didn't exactly allow for the linemen to shine. Throw in a ridiculous number of injuries and you have a guaranteed mess.

There are some young players with potential, and one more year of experience. Maybe Nix thinks they won't look so bad if they are put in a position to succeed. If they fail, then he knows it's time to look elsewhere. Bear in mind that it's a really young line that has time to get better. Realistically, the interior is set. Green is likely a stopgap RT. That leaves three guys on the roster in Meredith, Bell, and Wang who could potentially play LT.

As much as it sucks, this year is going to be a feeling out process with young players... a process that should have been mandated as soon as DJ got the axe instead of letting Fewell go through the charade of trying to win the job (not so much with the o-line given the lack of healthy players, but certainly with the rest of the team).

Whoa, hold on there. Where was Wang rated that highly? If anything, he was rated lower, and the Bills had to reach to ensure they at least got a tackle at that point. For example, Kyle Calloway who was drafted in the 7th was rated much, much higher than Wang as a tackle. Ed Wang is a project. Anyone expecting any more from him his 1st year is likely to be very disappointed.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/4/28/...couting-reports

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/558727

Not by any means a comprehensive list. Fact of the matter is he was ranked all over the place, from the 2-3 round, on up to the 20th tackle off the board. I know I've seen other scouting reports that were similarly varied. He also put up good combine numbers and played left tackle for two years in a tough conference. Realistically any tackle outside of the first 3 or 4 off the board is likely a project that won't start his first year. As far as the Bills "reaching", I have a feeling they had most of the tackles except for the first 2-3 overall rated fairly evenly, in which case why not wait and use the higher picks on other players that they rated highly.

The point of my post, however, was was Gaither was a fifth round pick as well, and may have other issues that make picking him up less attractive, especially if he comes with a pricetag of a second round pick.

As for Calloway, if he was rated so highly as a tackle, why is he most likely being moved inside?

As for Calloway, if he was rated so highly as a tackle, why is he most likely being moved inside?

Our best scenario would be for Calloway to prove to be a good starting RG which would slide Wood to C and put Hangartner as the backup G/C. Not saying I'm expecting it, just saying it sure would be nice :worthy:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/4/28/...couting-reports

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/558727

The point of my post, however, was was Gaither was a fifth round pick as well, and may have other issues that make picking him up less attractive, especially if he comes with a pricetag of a second round pick.

I'll give you props for providing some good links with some good information. I was going off Nawrocki's rankings, which had him as the #22 tackle, consistent with most of the reports you linked (Calloway was ranked #12). All I'm saying is I wouldn't expect him to come in and start, at any point, during his rookie season, as some others have projected him.

As for Gaither being a 5th rounder, you have to remember that was with the supplemental draft.

Our best scenario would be for Calloway to prove to be a good starting RG which would slide Wood to C and put Hangartner as the backup G/C. Not saying I'm expecting it, just saying it sure would be nice :worthy:

That's actually how I see the longer term interior lineup playing out.

There's also a reason Baltimore would love to keep him on the roster this year and franchise him next year (assuming that some kind of labor agreement is in place) and either keep him or trade him then. Baltimore, unlike the Bills, has a very legitimate shot at a Super Bowl this year, and having Gaither (at about $3 mill for the year) makes them a great deal better.

This is close to what I have heard. Baltimore never had any intentions of trading him. Baltimore promised him the LT position. Oher was drafted to be the RT. When Gaither was injured Oher was moved to LT and never looked back. It was clear Gaither was going to the right side. Gaither was upset about this and wanted out of Baltimore. LT's ccommand more money than RT's and Gaither had successfully played the LT position. That is when the work ethic rumors surfaced. My guess would be that the purpose of these rumors were to kill Gaithers marketability and keep him content and motivated to stay in Baltimore for one more year. Why would the Ravens want to keep him if he was that much of a problem. He is a very promising LT my guess is the Ravens never intended on trading him thats why a high tenure was put on him and the anti was probably raised during negotiations where no team was willing to go.

The motivation questions are based just as strongly on rumors and nothing else as the fact that Baltimore would take a second for Gaither.

In college, he was never once accused of any football-related motivation questions. He was having major motivation problems in the classroom. If you don't take any players on your team who have had classroom issues, you'd have a hard time putting together a 45 man roster.

You are absolutely wrong on him not having motivational issues on the field. His college coach benched him because he wasn't working hard in practice. Coach Friedgen clearly stated that it wasn't fair to the team to play someone like him who didn't practice hard and not play the players who put in the effort.

I live in Maryland and attended the Univ. of Maryland. Gaither is mentally and physically lazy. Everyone associated with the Ravens knows it just as people associated with the Univ. of Md. program know it. There are no surprises concenring Gaither. He is what he is, lazy. If you get him his less appealing character traits come with it.

The real issue in making a deal for Gaither is not the draft pick in the trade. The more substative issue is the size of the contract for a known slacker. Gaither is not the type of person you would want to make a major investment in for the most critical position in the line. If you want a more workmanlike and serious environment for your team you don't add this type of malingerer to your roster.

Because they'd have to pay him a contract close in guaranteed value to what Peters received.

Because he is not worth it.

Because they'd have to pay him a contract close in guaranteed value to what Peters received.

Since Gaither hasn't made the Pro Bowl, much less AP All-Pro team, his price tag would be lower.

I see you still haven't caught up to my link, which I've posted several times now (I know you insist on them), from a Baltimore Sun article on 3/29 which DIRECTLY quotes his college coach regarding Gaither's questionable work habits AS THEY RELATE TO FOOTBALL. Essentially, Friedgen benched him because he couldn't justify to his other players playing a guy who was lazy. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if that attitude was displayed in the classroom. By the way, do YOU have a link to support the classroom questions?

Why you insist on continually stating that he was NEVER accused of any "football-related motivation questions" is beyond me other than you insist on being correct on a point REGARDLESS of the facts presented.

Why is it so hard to accept that Gaither has a long history of questions regarding his work ethic and has since high school?

GO BILLS!!!

This is close to what I have heard. Baltimore never had any intentions of trading him. Baltimore promised him the LT position. Oher was drafted to be the RT. When Gaither was injured Oher was moved to LT and never looked back. It was clear Gaither was going to the right side. Gaither was upset about this and wanted out of Baltimore. LT's ccommand more money than RT's and Gaither had successfully played the LT position. That is when the work ethic rumors surfaced. My guess would be that the purpose of these rumors were to kill Gaithers marketability and keep him content and motivated to stay in Baltimore for one more year. Why would the Ravens want to keep him if he was that much of a problem. He is a very promising LT my guess is the Ravens never intended on trading him thats why a high tenure was put on him and the anti was probably raised during negotiations where no team was willing to go.

The Ravens are not going to "put out" rumors related to his motivation for the simple reason that it would damage his value. They certainly know he is entering his contract year and would have to explore some of their options with respect to him. Jared Gaither is not known as a workhorse. Everyone knows that. There are few secrets about most players in the league.

The Ravens would consider trading him if they got maximum value for him. They are not going to trade him, even if he doesn't sign a new contract, if they can't get value for him. The Ravens are a legitimate playoff team with very high aspirations. (Compare that to the embarrassing Bills who are not a legitimate playoff team with very low expectations.) Whether he plays on the right or left side he is a good player for the them. Making decisions on players and their contracts are part of the NFL landscape.

I don't want to look back because it is a sore subject but if the Bills would have drafted Oher after the Peters trade this desperate search for a new LT would have been resolved and the Bills would be focusing on other critical needs.

Stop making sense. Gaither for a 2nd rounder is just too high a price.

He can be an excellent player but history says "handle with care". There are reason why Baltimore drafted Oher and why Oher is moving to LT.

Gaither would be a great pickup for the right price and he may turn things around in Buffalo. I would love to get Gaither but only at the right price.

Trading for NFL players is sorta like buying a house. If the house is overpriced, you hold tight, and let desperation trickle in for the sellers, who must sell, and let the house come down to market value.

The price for Gaither is above market value. Buffalo isn't the only team that would like a young LT. Nobody has given Baltimore what they seek. So, sit back and wait until Baltimore gets antsy, and lowers the price.

The Ravens are not going to "put out" rumors related to his motivation for the simple reason that it would damage his value. They certainly know he is entering his contract year and would have to explore some of their options with respect to him. Jared Gaither is not known as a workhorse. Everyone knows that. There are few secrets about most players in the league.

The Ravens would consider trading him if they got maximum value for him. They are not going to trade him, even if he doesn't sign a new contract, if they can't get value for him. The Ravens are a legitimate playoff team with very high aspirations. (Compare that to the embarrassing Bills who are not a legitimate playoff team with very low expectations.) Whether he plays on the right or left side he is a good player for the them. Making decisions on players and their contracts are part of the NFL landscape.

I don't want to look back because it is a sore subject but if the Bills would have drafted Oher after the Peters trade this desperate search for a new LT would have been resolved and the Bills would be focusing on other critical needs.

You stated that everyone knows Gaither is not a workhorse...how?

This type of data usually comes from sources somewhere in the team or team leaks.

Think about it this way..if you have no intention on trading him what do you lose by maybe creating doubt for anyone looking to get him. If a player feels that he may not be able to get a huge payday because of lack of demand he will be more apt to sign for less with the same team unless the relationship is totally destroyed.

If a LT was our only need prior to the draft I would make the deal for a 2nd rounder, but since we have many needs he would not be worth it.

He has a motivation problem. You want to know motivation? Demetrious Bell and Cornell Green, our present starting tackles are so motivating they get an extraordinary number of off-sides penalties. Only the unintelligent think of offsides as a bad thing. Really it shows motivation. All Gaither ever really bothers to do is pass block and run block. He lacks that off-sides penalty quality demonstrated by our present tackles. The Ravens should give US their second round pick to give Gaither a chance to play alongside Bell and Green.

I have to admit to not being too familiar w/Gaither and his abilities.

But if my understanding of how the Bills have used tackles (like Langston Walker), the LT is the more premiere position and the RT more of the road grader position if you have a right-armed QB.

With Gaither being moved to RT by Baltimore in favor of Oher (whom we should have drafted along w/Wood over Maybin), that would support what you are claiming.

And if has motivation problems, I would not offer a 7th round pick for him. I still have bad memories of Mike Williams...

Stop making sense. Gaither for a 2nd rounder is just too high a price.

He can be an excellent player but history says "handle with care". There are reason why Baltimore drafted Oher and why Oher is moving to LT.

Gaither would be a great pickup for the right price and he may turn things around in Buffalo. I would love to get Gaither but only at the right price.

Oher was taken because the Ravens couldn't believe a talent like him fell to them in the 20's. I don't see how you can think Gaither isn't worth a 2nd rounder. The only motivation questions he has come from his current contract situation. He was a 5th rounder that became a Top 5 starting through hard work and dedication. He isn't Peters, and doens't have the questions that Peters had/has.

He has a motivation problem. You want to know motivation? Demetrious Bell and Cornell Green, our present starting tackles are so motivating they get an extraordinary number of off-sides penalties. Only the unintelligent think of offsides as a bad thing. Really it shows motivation. All Gaither ever really bothers to do is pass block and run block. He lacks that off-sides penalty quality demonstrated by our present tackles. The Ravens should give US their second round pick to give Gaither a chance to play alongside Bell and Green.

I almost completely agree with your Bell and Green offsides thing.

The only problem I see with it is that laziness, lack of mental focus, and exhaustion can also be reasons for jumping offsides.

Not sure he is worth the #33 pick in the 2011 draft, but we do need a LT more than anything.

Oher was taken because the Ravens couldn't believe a talent like him fell to them in the 20's. I don't see how you can think Gaither isn't worth a 2nd rounder. The only motivation questions he has come from his current contract situation. He was a 5th rounder that became a Top 5 starting through hard work and dedication. He isn't Peters, and doens't have the questions that Peters had/has.

Didn't we just get rid of a LT just like that about a year ago? A player who was lazy and thought he was better than he actually was so he wanted a new contract?

You stated that everyone knows Gaither is not a workhorse...how?This type of data usually comes from sources somewhere in the team or team leaks.

Think about it this way..if you have no intention on trading him what do you lose by maybe creating doubt for anyone looking to get him. If a player feels that he may not be able to get a huge payday because of lack of demand he will be more apt to sign for less with the same team unless the relationship is totally destroyed.

If a LT was our only need prior to the draft I would make the deal for a 2nd rounder, but since we have many needs he would not be worth it.

Perhaps because his college coach said so? The Ravens didn't put out these "rumors" as some think. Gaither has had attitude problems since high school and Friedgen grew tired of his act at Maryland.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/...0,6114595.story

Perhaps the Ravens don't want to trade him. Perhaps they are content with having a GREAT pair of bookends as they try to make a deep run this year BEFORE they lose him to FAgency for nothing. Perhaps they really WILL franchise him after the season. None of that changes the fact that he's got a well documented history of not putting forth his best effort consistently.

Giving a guy like that huge money for a glamour position he no longer plays spells trouble. And just because he would automatically be the best LT on our team doesn't necesarily make him worth it. I'd take him in a heartbeat if he didn't have the attitude issues. Maybe he just needs to grow up a bit. Wouldn't be the first time. But that's a LOT of coin to tie up in a player while waiting for him to mature and act like a professional all the time. The Bills' FO isn't in the babysitting business.

GO BILLS!!!

That is a great observation..... :lol: