My Meaningless Opinion

R. Rich

First off, thanks again to LancasterSteve and his lovely wife for opening their home to me for the weekend. This is the 7th time in the last 8 years we've done this and I enjoy hanging w/ you guys more than words can say. Your place has become another home away from home for me, and for that I cannot thank you enough.

It was also nice to get to hang w/ my other draft compadre, MarkVI. Not only for the breakfast pizza, but also for the excellent draft discussion. We usually have similar views on the draft prospects, and when we don't, it's always nice to get another view that can only make you more informed on the players.

Lori, sorry I missed you on Friday. We'll have to catch up on stuff @ the opener, I 'spose. You know I look forward to our little summit meetings w/ you and Badolbilz (and William...IF he chooses the right game to attend!).

Now, as for the draft party @ the fieldhouse.....I was not impressed. Setting up big screen TVs in front of a bunch of fold-up chairs, where you're too close to the screens and they look grainy? Bad move. Please move it back to the Jim Kelly club...where it belongs.

On to the Bills' draft picks.

ROUND 1: C.J. Spiller, RB Clemson

I admit I was a bit hesitant @ first, but then I realized that the Bills must have really only liked a couple of the OT prospects w/ 1st round grades, and they were gone. When Williams went to Washington 4th overall, Mark and I pretty much figured there wasn't going to be an OT taken. Unless Okung would've fallen past Seattle. Yeah, right. Spiller is a game changer; a guy teams will have to account for whether he's lined up in the backfield, split out wide, put in the slot (Jackson as the feature back, w/ Spiller in motion to the slot could really screw up defensive fronts ready to just stack the line and plug up the rush lanes), or even as a return guy on special teams. The Bills can employ a pretty strong two back system (I'm figuring Marshawn Lynch to be outta here) that can only help matters. I think Spiller has the potential to really impress people.

ROUND 2: Torrell Troup, DT Central Florida

If the rumors are true, then the Bills were trying to move back into the first round to get a guy I really would've loved to see the Bills grab: Tennessee DT Dan Williams. Well, Arizona put a stop to that. Ah well. What the Bills did was get a guy who is also stout and can also add a bit of a push in terms of interior rush. Oh yeah, and he's been known to get in for some negative plays too:5 tackles for loss and a couple sacks from the DT position is good when you're not playing a gap penetrating scheme like Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma. This guy is known for leaving it all out on the field from the effort standpoint, which I'm sure had something to do w/ the Bills selecting him over Terrence Cody, even though he's bigger and folks, "have heard of 'em".

ROUND 3: Alex Carrington, DE Arkansas State

This is one of my favorite picks the Bills made in this draft. Of the DEs rated ahead of Carrington, I think only Northwestern's Corey Wootton is as good a 3-4 DE prospect. This guy has good size and excellent strength, so he should help to minimize the damage the running game does. 'Tween Troup and Carrington, the Bills shouldn't be nearly as sorry against the run. Of course, the key will be how the ILBs hold up, but I do believe this guy will hold his own as a 3-4 DE and upgrade the run defense. Not much of a pass rusher, but hopefully the OLBs will provide that rush for the Bills. Yeah, yeah, I know Bruuuuuce was a tremendous rusher as a 3-4 end, but he's the exception folks, NOT the rule. For a team that gave up nearly 5 yards per rush last year, this guy is just what the doctor ordered.

ROUND 4: Marcus Easley, WR Connecticut

I admit I'm not very familiar w/ this prospect, so I can only go by what I've read up on 'em. But, what's not to like? Good size (6-2, 213), good hands, good body control, and, perhaps most importantly, a good blocker! Average speed (4.4), but I don't know if they drafted Easley to be some kind of a burner. If he can provide solid blocking and be a dependable possession receiver, then they got a very good player here.

ROUND 5: Ed Wang, OT Virginia Tech

I really like this guy as a developmental prospect. He could be a swing tackle (G/T) that can help as a backup. He does need coaching in terms of hand placement and keeping low, plus he could add a bit of bulk to anchor better in pass protection, but he's a good enough athlete (former TE, kinda like Houston Texan Eric Winston though not nearly as polished) that he can be used as a backup who may develop into more w/ time and coaching.

ROUND 6a: Arthur Moats, LB James Madison

He's an intriguing small school prospect as he has great speed, is strong, and is very aggressive. Works for me. As I mentioned to a few folks, if he can stop the annoying instances when after the Bills score, they give up huge kick returns and set the opponent up for a socre of their own, then I am fine w/ this pick. Plus, it's a LB that isn't 228 lbs.......NICE!!! I would hope he'll be an immediate contributor on special teams (coverage units in particular) and can maybe develop into a backup ILB or a rotational player.

ROUND 6b: Danny Batten, LB South Dakota State

Another "tweener" (DE in college) who seems to be a good fit as a 3-4 'backer. Good. Like Moats, this guy gives a great effort and will find the ball. Plus, he can rush the passer and appears to have the athleticism to drop back into coverage when necessary. Kinda sounds like a more athletic version of South Florida's George Selvie. While Selvie is very quick off the snap and goes hard after the QB, he's not a guy who can react to the passing game as a dropback LB. If this guy can make a seamless transition to the OLB spot, then the Bills got a steal here.

ROUND 7a: Levi Brown, QB Troy

Brown should be a good developmental player and a good value in the 7th. A guy w/ good size (6-3, 230) and a strong arm, he also has good accuracy in the short game. Now, he still needs to work on his long ball in terms of accuracy, but the tools are there; he just needs to be coached up. Well, good thing for us that Chan Gailey has done well w/ developing QBs in the past. If Brown can be refined by Gailey, this guy could really be one of the steals of the draft.

ROUND 7b: Kyle Calloway, OT Iowa

Geez, how could I have forgotten 'bout Calloway? This guy is a Bill from NYC special: he's got good size (6-6, 323lbs), is tough, and is nasty! William, this guy could be considered a poor man's Jeremy Trueblood: how do ya like that? Like many big guys w/ height, he needs to lower his pad level and he could use a tutoring from Tunch Ilkin, he of the "Tunch Punch" that so many O linemen have emulated over the years. Overall, I think he's going to be a solid right tackle either as a backup or as a guy who eventually develops into a starter (my hope).

So, how did they do? I’m really not one to give letter grades to a draft, especially since none of these guys have played a down of NFL football yet, but I will offer my take on what went down last weekend. Well, I hear they didn’t get a “franchise” left tackle or quarterback. That is true. When the Redskins took Trent Williams fourth overall, that pretty much took the Bills out of the LT sweepstakes, barring Okung falling to ‘em @ 9. I am glad that they didn’t try to move up and lose valuable picks to go after Okung and I’m glad they didn’t reach for players that it appears the Bills simply did not like (Clausen, Bulaga) as a fit for their team. They took Spiller, and he is an explosive weapon. Now, they have to work to getting more out of what they have from people such as James Hardy, Demetrius Bell, Aaron Maybin, and the new additions via the draft. Coach ‘em up and get ‘em ready to play. I think this coaching staff can do this, but it remains to be seen. We’ve been here before, haven’t we Bills fans? You know, where we’ve put faith in the coaches to get guys ready and they simply could not get it done. Now, it’s Gailey’s turn. Soon we’ll know whether this crew can get these guys together and working as a team or if it’s going to be more of the same. But, ‘til I see some sort of evidence either way, I’m going to hold off on judging ‘em. It’s far too easy to go into, “everything sucks” mode and there’s plenty of excuses for doing so. The Bills haven’t won in years. Ralph Wilson is too cheap. The coaching staffs have been awful. The Bills don’t draft “my guys” (a way more popular excuse than people will admit to). And so on and so on. I won’t do that, as I said, ‘til I see where the Bills are headed. Hopefully, none of that will even be necessary…..’cause I sure am tired of hearing and reading it.

So, how did they do? I’m really not one to give letter grades to a draft, especially since none of these guys have played a down of NFL football yet, but I will offer my take on what went down last weekend. Well, I hear they didn’t get a “franchise” left tackle or quarterback. That is true. When the Redskins took Trent Williams fourth overall, that pretty much took the Bills out of the LT sweepstakes, barring Okung falling to ‘em @ 9. I am glad that they didn’t try to move up and lose valuable picks to go after Okung and I’m glad they didn’t reach for players that it appears the Bills simply did not like (Clausen, Bulaga) as a fit for their team. They took Spiller, and he is an explosive weapon. Now, they have to work to getting more out of what they have from people such as James Hardy, Demetrius Bell, Aaron Maybin, and the new additions via the draft. Coach ‘em up and get ‘em ready to play. I think this coaching staff can do this, but it remains to be seen. We’ve been here before, haven’t we Bills fans? You know, where we’ve put faith in the coaches to get guys ready and they simply could not get it done. Now, it’s Gailey’s turn. Soon we’ll know whether this crew can get these guys together and working as a team or if it’s going to be more of the same. But, ‘til I see some sort of evidence either way, I’m going to hold off on judging ‘em. It’s far too easy to go into, “everything sucks” mode and there’s plenty of excuses for doing so. The Bills haven’t won in years. Ralph Wilson is too cheap. The coaching staffs have been awful. The Bills don’t draft “my guys” (a way more popular excuse than people will admit to). And so on and so on. I won’t do that, as I said, ‘til I see where the Bills are headed. Hopefully, none of that will even be necessary…..’cause I sure am tired of hearing and reading it.

I am glad we didn't get Trent Williams. Just look at what is habit of taking plays off did for his QB at Oklahoma.....

Excellent breakdown, thanks for the good read.

But...4.4 is average speed?

I was thinking the same thing. 4.4 is above average speed, especially for a wide receiver of his size and weight. Otherwise, good insight.

Letter grade for Rich, A+. Thanks for your insight. I think I like what went down in the draft.I am very excited for this year. Spiller pick will be a game changer even with the QBs on this team.

Who do you think will start at qb?

Good stuff. What are your thoughts on Calloway? He was rated pretty high to go in the 7th (#12 tackle according to Nawrocki, just behind #11 Tony Washington who some folks seem to want to bring in here, and ahead of #22 Ed Wang). Nawrocki had him as a 4th round value, so pretty good pick there if you ask me, even with moving him inside.

As always, RR, good to hear some unbiased analysis from someone who knows a little sumthin' about the game. I'm still not as sold on the current OT depth chart as they seem to be, but I agree with you about not reaching for the wrong answer out of desperation.

Seeya at the opener, if not before.

My friend, I'll go 'ya one step further, as I believe this draft is the second "cornerstone" draft and next year is the litmus test for turning the proverbial corner competitively!! After the selections of Wood, Levitre, Byrd, and Nelson, the tide has turned with this new staff adding their mark to an already "ahead of schedule" rebuild. What I mean is that the outgoing regime might have (inspite of themselves) given this new management team the tools to work with insofar as the 2009 draft was concerned. If Troup and Carrington pan out along with Moats and Batten, and I see no reason that they can't, the dye is cast and the Bills will contend in 2011. Heck, if Levi Brown works out, it might be downright historic!! How's THAT for optimism....

First off, thanks again to LancasterSteve and his lovely wife for opening their home to me for the weekend. This is the 7th time in the last 8 years we've done this and I enjoy hanging w/ you guys more than words can say. Your place has become another home away from home for me, and for that I cannot thank you enough.

It was also nice to get to hang w/ my other draft compadre, MarkVI. Not only for the breakfast pizza, but also for the excellent draft discussion. We usually have similar views on the draft prospects, and when we don't, it's always nice to get another view that can only make you more informed on the players.

Lori, sorry I missed you on Friday. We'll have to catch up on stuff @ the opener, I 'spose. You know I look forward to our little summit meetings w/ you and Badolbilz (and William...IF he chooses the right game to attend!).

Now, as for the draft party @ the fieldhouse.....I was not impressed. Setting up big screen TVs in front of a bunch of fold-up chairs, where you're too close to the screens and they look grainy? Bad move. Please move it back to the Jim Kelly club...where it belongs.

ROUND 1: C.J. Spiller, RB Clemson

I admit I was a bit hesitant @ first, but then I realized that the Bills must have really only liked a couple of the OT prospects w/ 1st round grades, and they were gone. When Williams went to Washington 4th overall, Mark and I pretty much figured there wasn't going to be an OT taken. Unless Okung would've fallen past Seattle. Yeah, right. Spiller is a game changer; a guy teams will have to account for whether he's lined up in the backfield, split out wide, put in the slot (Jackson as the feature back, w/ Spiller in motion to the slot could really screw up defensive fronts ready to just stack the line and plug up the rush lanes), or even as a return guy on special teams. The Bills can employ a pretty strong two back system (I'm figuring Marshawn Lynch to be outta here) that can only help matters. I think Spiller has the potential to really impress people.

ROUND 2: Torrell Troup, DT Central Florida

If the rumors are true, then the Bills were trying to move back into the first round to get a guy I really would've loved to see the Bills grab: Tennessee DT Dan Williams. Well, Arizona put a stop to that. Ah well. What the Bills did was get a guy who is also stout and can also add a bit of a push in terms of interior rush. Oh yeah, and he's been known to get in for some negative plays too:5 tackles for loss and a couple sacks from the DT position is good when you're not playing a gap penetrating scheme like Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma. This guy is known for leaving it all out on the field from the effort standpoint, which I'm sure had something to do w/ the Bills selecting him over Terrence Cody, even though he's bigger and folks, "have heard of 'em".

This is one of my favorite picks the Bills made in this draft. Of the DEs rated ahead of Carrington, I think only Northwestern's Corey Wootton is as good a 3-4 DE prospect. This guy has good size and excellent strength, so he should help to minimize the damage the running game does. 'Tween Troup and Carrington, the Bills shouldn't be nearly as sorry against the run. Of course, the key will be how the ILBs hold up, but I do believe this guy will hold his own as a 3-4 DE and upgrade the run defense. Not much of a pass rusher, but hopefully the OLBs will provide that rush for the Bills. Yeah, yeah, I know Bruuuuuce was a tremendous rusher as a 3-4 end, but he's the exception folks, NOT the rule. For a team that gave up nearly 5 yards per rush last year, this guy is just what the doctor ordered.

ROUND 4: Marcus Easley, WR Connecticut

I admit I'm not very familiar w/ this prospect, so I can only go by what I've read up on 'em. But, what's not to like? Good size (6-2, 213), good hands, good body control, and, perhaps most importantly, a good blocker! Average speed (4.4), but I don't know if they drafted Easley to be some kind of a burner. If he can provide solid blocking and be a dependable possession receiver, then they got a very good player here.

ROUND 5: Ed Wang, OT Virginia Tech

I really like this guy as a developmental prospect. He could be a swing tackle (G/T) that can help as a backup. He does need coaching in terms of hand placement and keeping low, plus he could add a bit of bulk to anchor better in pass protection, but he's a good enough athlete (former TE, kinda like Houston Texan Eric Winston though not nearly as polished) that he can be used as a backup who may develop into more w/ time and coaching.

ROUND 6a: Arthur Moats, LB James Madison

He's an intriguing small school prospect as he has great speed, is strong, and is very aggressive. Works for me. As I mentioned to a few folks, if he can stop the annoying instances when after the Bills score, they give up huge kick returns and set the opponent up for a socre of their own, then I am fine w/ this pick. Plus, it's a LB that isn't 228 lbs.......NICE!!! I would hope he'll be an immediate contributor on special teams (coverage units in particular) and can maybe develop into a backup ILB or a rotational player.

ROUND 6b: Danny Batten, LB South Dakota State

Another "tweener" (DE in college) who seems to be a good fit as a 3-4 'backer. Good. Like Moats, this guy gives a great effort and will find the ball. Plus, he can rush the passer and appears to have the athleticism to drop back into coverage when necessary. Kinda sounds like a more athletic version of South Florida's George Selvie. While Selvie is very quick off the snap and goes hard after the QB, he's not a guy who can react to the passing game as a dropback LB. If this guy can make a seamless transition to the OLB spot, then the Bills got a steal here.

ROUND 7a: Levi Brown, QB Troy

Brown should be a good developmental player and a good value in the 7th. A guy w/ good size (6-3, 230) and a strong arm, he also has good accuracy in the short game. Now, he still needs to work on his long ball in terms of accuracy, but the tools are there; he just needs to be coached up. Well, good thing for us that Chan Gailey has done well w/ developing QBs in the past. If Brown can be refined by Gailey, this guy could really be one of the steals of the draft.

ROUND 7b: Kyle Calloway, OT Iowa

Geez, how could I have forgotten 'bout Calloway? This guy is a Bill from NYC special: he's got good size (6-6, 323lbs), is tough, and is nasty! William, this guy could be considered a poor man's Jeremy Trueblood: how do ya like that? Like many big guys w/ height, he needs to lower his pad level and he could use a tutoring from Tunch Ilkin, he of the "Tunch Punch" that so many O linemen have emulated over the years. Overall, I think he's going to be a solid right tackle either as a backup or as a guy who eventually develops into a starter (my hope).

I enjoyed reading your post. But you say you're holding off on judging them, and it didn't look like that to me. It looked like you judged them all positively.

Just as an example, you said that Batten is a more athletic Selvie because Selvie doesn't have the ability to cover against the pass. Well, Batten has never covered against the pass either. It's very questionable as to how he'll do against that. And that's the way you approached every pick, with an extremely positive slant.

As I say, I enjoyed reading it, but IMHO you didn't hold off on judging them at all. You just held off on judging them in any negative way, but you didn't hold off on judging them positively and hopefully.

well done - also i am of the point of view - 30th in the nfl against the run will not win many games - that was the first thing that had to be addressed - and it doesn't matter who is qb is or who the lt is, 30th against the run will compile more losses than wins

I enjoyed reading your post. But you say you're holding off on judging them, and it didn't look like that to me. It looked like you judged them all positively.

Just as an example, you said that Batten is a more athletic Selvie because Selvie doesn't have the ability to cover against the pass. Well, Batten has never covered against the pass either. It's very questionable as to how he'll do against that. And that's the way you approached every pick, with an extremely positive slant.

As I say, I enjoyed reading it, but IMHO you didn't hold off on judging them at all. You just held off on judging them in any negative way, but you didn't hold off on judging them positively and hopefully.

No, I say I hold off on judging the organization 'til we see how these drafts picks and free agency moves impact the Bills in the win column. I try to counter the folks who immediately fly off the handle 'cause the Bills don't go out and sign 88 free agents or trade away the next 2 drafts in order to move up and get (name of player they love this week here).

As for the picks, I merely point out the good things I have seen or read 'bout these guys to eliminate the whole "Who?" and "why did the Bills draft ____" type responses. I figure people can fish through various other threads to read 'bout how these guys "suck".