Mel Kiper gives the Bills a C-plus for Spiller

LGB

Let's walk down memory lane

Buffalo Bills: GRADE: B

The Bills had no choice but to go after Marshawn Lynch with the loss of Willis McGahee. Paul Posluszny could be a middle linebacker or OLB, making up for the loss of London Fletcher. Running back Dwayne Wright was a very good fourth-round pick if he can stay healthy. Down the road, Trent Edwards could give J.P. Losman some competition. And if Edwards develops in two or three years, the Bills could trade him, similar to what Atlanta did with Matt Schaub. John Wendling is a very athletic safety and was a good sixth-round pick. Derek Schouman is a pass-catching tight end with limited blocking skills.

Some other notables

Carolina Panthers: GRADE: B

I'm not enamored with linebacker Jon Beason, but he has the ability to be a team leader because he has a great attitude. I do like the fact that Carolina traded down to get Beason even though the Panthers were very high on him.

Miami Dolphins: GRADE: C

Passing on Brady Quinn was ridiculous. Ted Ginn is a good player, will help Miami in the return game and fills a need. Still, they had Quinn staring them in the face, and they weren't going to have to trade up to get him.

Oakland Raiders: GRADE C+

JaMarcus Russell was a no-brainer because he has the chance to be a franchise quarterback. The Raiders have been trying for years to draft a tight end, and they took Zach Miller in the second round.

Philadelphia Eagles: GRADE: C-

First, they made a trade with the Cowboys, who used the pick on defensive end Anthony Spencer. Then, the Eagles used the 36th overall pick (their first pick in the draft) on Houston QB Kevin Kolb when QBs Drew Stanton, John Beck and Trent Edwards were all still on the board. I thought Kolb was a reach because he reminds me of Kyle Boller.

St. Louis Rams: GRADE: C+

A very good player and a solid first-round pick, Adam Carriker will be used more as a defensive tackle by the Rams. I really like the pick of Brian Leonard in the second round because he gives St. Louis options on offense.

Green Bay Packers: GRADE: B-

The Packers took a QB on both days of the draft: Brian Brohm in the second round and Matt Flynn in the seventh. Brohm is cerebral and accurate, but can he stay healthy? Flynn is big, has good arm strength and can run for a first down if he has to.

New York Jets: GRADE: B-

Lining up opposite Calvin Pace, OLB Vernon Gholston has a chance to get a lot of sacks in his rookie season.

Oakland Raiders: GRADE B-

We all know what Darren McFadden can do. I really liked Oakland's second-round pick, Connecticut CB Tyvon Branch.

Tennessee Titans: GRADE: C

Running back Chris Johnson is a good player, but I wasn't expecting him to go to Tennessee, especially because the Titans need a wide receiver. (They should have looked at WR Devin Thomas in the first round.)

Washington Redskins: GRADE: B+

They traded out of the first round and still were able to get three offensive weapons in the second round: wide receivers Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly and tight end Fred Davis.

The irony is that if you were to ask Mel why Clausen fell from his 4th overall rating to 48th overall, he'll say "you need to give him time to prove himself." <_<

That is so true. If he was to draft by his own rankings he would get an F because he would have reached for many of his "guys". Kiper rated us low because we didn't pick guys where he ranked them, his rating means nothing.

Kiper is a joke...he doesn't know SQUAT. If he was so smart he would be on a NFL scouting team. The guy is an ass.

This year he seemed particularly abrasive and defensive. I think the pressure of not being the only "Draft expert," out there is starting to get to him.

The whole grading system seems silly. He's essentially giving teams a grade based on how much they agreed with his assessments.

This year he seemed particularly abrasive and defensive. I think the pressure of not being the only "Draft expert," out there is starting to get to him.

The whole grading system seems silly. He's essentially giving teams a grade based on how much they agreed with his assessments.

I think the fact that Clausen was at the top of his "best available" list for a day and a half got him off on the wrong foot. He was also way off on Everson Griffen, Sergio Kindle, Aaron Hernandez, Navorro Bowman and Bruce Campbell; all rated as first rounders by Kiper.

The guy is a joke.

Kiper is a joke...he doesn't know SQUAT. If he was so smart he would be on a NFL scouting team. The guy is an ass.

You're wrong in one respect.

Mel Kiper probably makes more money than all but a few GMs in the NFL.

He most certainly makes more money than any scout, Director of College Scouting, etc.

He most certainly makes more money than any scout, Director of College Scouting, etc.

Yeah, people need to realize that Mel Kiper basically does the work of a regular scout or maybe head of scouting, but with an extra digit on his salary. The only reason for someone like that to try to get a job with an NFL team would be to try to work his way up to being an assistant GM in a few years, then being a GM a few years after that.

I think you drastically overrate how much ESPN pays it employees.

Yeah, people need to realize that Mel Kiper basically does the work of a regular scout or maybe head of scouting, but with an extra digit on his salary. The only reason for someone like that to try to get a job with an NFL team would be to try to work his way up to being an assistant GM in a few years, then being a GM a few years after that.

What? Who do you think is paying Kiper 7 figures to be relevant for one weekend a year?

Here is a different perspective...

I would love to know what Davis is basing his question about Wang having to play RT and doubting if he can make that change on...where exactly is this coming from because it certainly isnt coming from the Bills who have stated they like him as a LT

Davis then goes on to ask if they are talking about the same Danny Betten from South D State....how could you not be talking about the same one, its not like the Bills drafted two players with the same name

these guys continue to knock the Bills draft based on the holes the team still has and thats not how you grade a draft...you grade the draft based on the players they selected

let me guess, the Pats draft is great after making 67 trades and drafting two TEs

I would love to know what Davis is basing his question about Wang having to play RT and doubting if he can make that change on...where exactly is this coming from because it certainly isnt coming from the Bills who have stated they like him as a LT

Davis then goes on to ask if they are talking about the same Danny Betten from South D State....how could you not be talking about the same one, its not like the Bills drafted two players with the same name

these guys continue to knock the Bills draft based on the holes the team still has and thats not how you grade a draft...you grade the draft based on the players they selected

let me guess, the Pats draft is great after making 67 trades and drafting two TEs

Davis also went on to say that Edwards has a "stranglehold" on the starting QB job. :unsure::doh:

His grade sounds about right to me. I like the first three picks, but Troup and Carrington were a bit of a reach. Still, I have no problems with the draft to that point.

The 4th round is where this draft became unhinged in my opinion. I think the Raiders broke their hearts when they stole Bruce Campbell out from under us. How do they respond? By quickly grabbing a WR that probably would've been there in the 7th.

Regardless of what Nix has said, they needed to come out of this draft with an elite LT prospect. Campbell was the only one who fit that bill come the 4th round. He was the #7 rated Tackle by Nawrocki, Wang was #22. I would've liked to seen more aggressiveness by Nix to make sure he got him. Moving up a few slots in the 4th does not cost much at all.

So instead of going LT in the 5th with Wang, they could've grabbed Skelton in the 5th. Which would you rather have: Campbell/Skelton, or Wang/Levi Brown? Be honest.

They recovered in the 6th, and finished stong in the 7th. Just replace Brown with Easley. We could've theoretically ended up with Spiller/Troup/Carrington/Campbell/Skelton/Moats/Batten/Easley/Calloway. That's an A plus.

So they failed in the middle rounds, had a stong start and finish. C plus sounds about right.

His grade sounds about right to me. I like the first three picks, but Troup and Carrington were a bit of a reach. Still, I have no problems with the draft to that point.

The 4th round is where this draft became unhinged in my opinion. I think the Raiders broke their hearts when they stole Bruce Campbell out from under us. How do they respond? By quickly grabbing a WR that probably would've been there in the 7th.

Regardless of what Nix has said, they needed to come out of this draft with an elite LT prospect. Campbell was the only one who fit that bill come the 4th round. He was the #7 rated Tackle by Nawrocki, Wang was #22. I would've liked to seen more aggressiveness by Nix to make sure he got him. Moving up a few slots in the 4th does not cost much at all.

So instead of going LT in the 5th with Wang, they could've grabbed Skelton in the 5th. Which would you rather have: Campbell/Skelton, or Wang/Levi Brown? Be honest.

They recovered in the 6th, and finished stong in the 7th. Just replace Brown with Easley. We could've theoretically ended up with Spiller/Troup/Carrington/Campbell/Skelton/Moats/Batten/Easley/Calloway. That's an A plus.

So they failed in the middle rounds, had a stong start and finish. C plus sounds about right.

Considering the situation, and what it would have taken to leapfrog the Raiders, I think we should have moved up. It was no suprise the Raiders took him, and it would have cost as low a draft pick as we had to move ahead. Now I know Campbell sucked pretty bad in college, but so did Peters. They are both great athletes and its the 4th round, even he became an above average RT it would have been worth it.

Basically would you give up the WR we took adn Calloway for Campbell? I would...and I really liked Calloway in college.

Name recognition and where players are picked are a fools errand. All that matters is how the player produces. Because a name player can bust just as easily as one that no one knows, and sometimes you can think a player will be there in such-and-such a round, only to find he's been taken a few spots after you had a shot at him, because not every teams follows the "experts'" mock drafts or rankings.

If the Bills really wanted Campbell and thought he was a top LT prospect, they could have taken him with any of their first 3 picks. Same for Skelton, who they could have taken with any of their first 5 picks. Furthermore they said they liked Brown over any of the other QB's except for Bradford, and there was a thread about their interest in him predating the draft.

Name recognition and where players are picked are a fools errand. All that matters is how the player produces. Because a name player can bust just as easily as one that no one knows, and sometimes you can think a player will be there in such-and-such a round, only to find he's been taken a few spots after you had a shot at him, because not every teams follows the "experts'" mock drafts or rankings.

If the Bills really wanted Campbell and thought he was a top LT prospect, they could have taken him with any of their first 3 picks. Same for Skelton, who they could have taken with any of their first 5 picks. Furthermore they said they liked Brown over any of the other QB's except for Bradford, and there was a thread about their interest in him predating the draft.

They had Brown as #2 QB after Bradford??

Holy sh*t.

Holy sh*t.

More like they had Bradford rated as the only franchise prospect and the rest were developmental types. Hence the reason they passed on Clausen twice and McCoy thrice, as did many other teams.

Or, they could have made the mistake of waiting for Campbell to drop to them. Ooops.

Then, they wouldn't have had to go after the #22 ranked Tackle in the 5th, and could've selected Skelton. And if not Skelton, even Easley in the 5th.

Look, I understand fans want to see no wrong in their drafts, but they shat the bed in 4th and 5th rounds. That doesn't make it a bad draft, but the perfectionist in me wanted to see it be better.

Or, they could have made the mistake of waiting for Campbell to drop to them. Ooops.

Then, they wouldn't have had to go after the #22 ranked Tackle in the 5th, and could've selected Skelton. And if not Skelton, even Easley in the 5th.

Look, I understand fans want to see no wrong in their drafts, but they shat the bed in 4th and 5th rounds. That doesn't make it a bad draft, but the perfectionist in me wanted to see it be better.

Campbell did drop to them and they passed 3 times. Why do you think the 4th time would have been any different? Not that they didn't have a chance to trade up in the 4th when they saw that he was still there. He's the classic "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane, has the desire of Cheetah" type of player. Hence the reason only the Raiders took a chance on him, in the 4th round.

Perfection has no place when talking about a draft.

Holy sh*t.

Now i know critical thinking isn't your strong suit, given the fact you've never done any of it before you post, but chances are that they thought Bradford was the only legit long-term QB prospect, and that the other QBs would go much higher than the Bills had them graded. It seems obviously apparent that they thought almost all of the QBs needed a good chunk of development time, so why waste a high pick on one?

Mel Kiper is a guide and that is how he should be viewed.

Personally even though he has a massive ego, he is good at what he does. Name me a scout, NFL Draft expert, GM, or anyone that has not misjudged lots of talent over the years.

Any of you out there or myself would make the same exact mistakes.

HE is doing what we all dream to do and we are jealous.

Deal with it.

Campbell did drop to them and they passed 3 times. Why do you think the 4th time would have been any different? Not that they didn't have a chance to trade up in the 4th when they saw that he was still there. He's the classic "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane, has the desire of Cheetah" type of player. Hence the reason only the Raiders took a chance on him, in the 4th round.

Perfection has no place when talking about a draft.

C'mon man. That's like saying Levi Brown dropped to them and they passed 7 times.

We'll never truly know how Nix and the scouts and coaches felt about Campbell. I believe the Raiders crushed them when they selected him right before our pick. Then again, maybe they had Wang targeted in the 5th all along. In that case, I do question waiting until the 5th round to address OL on this team.

C'mon man. That's like saying Levi Brown dropped to them and they passed 7 times.

The difference is that Campbell was expected to be taken within the first 2 rounds. Brown was a late round prospect, about whom the Bills inquired extensively.

We'll never truly know how Nix and the scouts and coaches felt about Campbell. I believe the Raiders crushed them when they selected him right before our pick. Then again, maybe they had Wang targeted in the 5th all along. In that case, I do question waiting until the 5th round to address OL on this team.

They had their shots at Charles Brown as well. I guess we'll have to see how the eventual LT pans out, versus Campbell, Brown, Davis, and Bulaga.

Now i know critical thinking isn't your strong suit, given the fact you've never done any of it before you post, but chances are that they thought Bradford was the only legit long-term QB prospect, and that the other QBs would go much higher than the Bills had them graded. It seems obviously apparent that they thought almost all of the QBs needed a good chunk of development time, so why waste a high pick on one?

If it is "obviously apparent" that "other" (than Bradford) QBs would need a good chunk of development time, the top of anybody's list of the rest is NOT Levi Brown. He was drafted, by the Bills, in the 7th round.

A high pick???? Your argument is that the Bills passed on guys like Lefevour (once in the 6th) and Pike (twice) even when it was "obviously apparent" that they were NOT going "much higher than the Bills had them graded"? So they could pick up a 3rd DE for the practice squad? Because they were holding out for Brown as a "better prospect"? Come on!

Maybe you should redirect your "critical thinking" on easier topics that you are adept at--like gay bashing. That's your thing, bro.

Let's walk down memory lane

Kiper 2005

Arizona Cardinals: A

The Cardinals had to have a corner and a running back in this draft and they got both in the first two rounds. Antrel Rolle was maybe the best defensive player on the board and J.J. Arrington is a productive back who was a good value in the second round. Eric Green adds depth at corner, linebacker Darryl Blackstock and guard Elton Brown were also nice values, and if linebacker Lance Mitchell reverts to his pre-injury form he could become a decent player.

Chicago Bears: A-

Cedric Benson has all the makings of a star running back and Mark Bradley fills a need at wide receiver while also bringing excellent special team skills to the table. Getting Kyle Orton gives the Bears a nice backup who will fill in capably should quarterback Rex Grossman go down again. Receiver Airese Curry made sense in the fifth round and the late-round safeties could become contributors as well.

Cincinnati Bengals: A-

Defensive end David Pollack and linebacker Odell Thurman were teammates at Georgia and are immediate upgrades for the front seven on Marvin Lewis' defense. The Bengals helped the offensive line with another pair of teammates, center Eric Ghiaciuc and tackle Adam Kieft from Central Michigan, and thanks to his great physical attributes receiver Chris Henry is a good gamble in the third round despite some character questions. Fellow wideout Tab Perry was a sensible pick in the sixth

Green Bay Packers: C

The Packers had to take quarterback Aaron Rodgers in the first round. You just can't pass on the opportunity to get Brett Favre's heir apparent and give him some time to learn from one of the best passers ever, even though he won't help them win this year. Corner Nick Collins is a good athlete but very raw and was a reach in the second round, and while receiver Terrence Murphy is a nice player Green Bay didn't need a receiver. Safety Marviel Underwood was a solid pickup in the fourth round but linebacker Brady Poppinga might not be a good fit in the Packers' scheme. I like receiver Craig Bragg in the sixth round but there is just not enough defensive help in this class.

Minnesota Vikings: B+

The Vikings targeted speed on their board and they definitely got it with wide receiver Troy Williamson, who wowed Minnesota enough that the Vikings passed on Mike Williams. Defensive end Erasmus James gives them much-needed help up front, guard/tackle Marcus Johnson will solidify the offensive line and running back Ciatrick Fason has the potential to be a terrific steal in the fourth round. Dustin Fox is a good cornerback and defensive tackle C.J. Mosley is a motivated overachiever.

New England Patriots: C

Guard Logan Mankins was a reach in the first round but the Patriots obviously like his size and nastiness, and he will help fill the void left by Joe Andruzzi's departure via free agency. Ellis Hobbs has good size but not enough skill to be more than a nickelback, and safety James Sanders was a teammate of Mankins at Fresno State and both were helped by the relationship between Patriots coach Bill Belichik and Fresno State coach Pat Hill. Tackle Nick Kaczur could play guard as well but came off the board a little early and Matt Cassel is a big project at quarterback.

New York Giants: C

Cornerback Corey Webster was slowed by nagging injuries last season but is a tremendous cover man when healthy and had a top-10 grade after his junior season. Justin Tuck is an okay end in the third round but should have gone back to Notre Dame, Brandon Jacobs should carve a niche as a power back and end Eric Moore is also an okay pick. The Giants just did not have enough selections to make a big impact on their football team.

Philadelphia Eagles: A

Another very good group of players. Defensive tackle Mike Patterson is an exceptional player, Matt McCoy was one of the fastest-rising linebackers leading up to the draft, Ryan Moats provides good depth behind Brian Westbrook at running back and Sean Considine is a smart, tough safety. Todd Herremans is a developmental offensive tackle prospect out of the fourth round but the Eagles got five more potential contributors after taking him. A large class with no real downside.

San Diego Chargers: C

I like end/linebacker Shawne Merriman as an addition to the pass rush, but the rest of the players the Chargers selected were taken a little early. Defensive tackle Luis Castillo did not have a first-round grade and receiver Vincent Jackson was a reach in the second round as the Chargers were desperate to add a receiver. Darren Sproles should be a nice situational back who can also return kicks, but the remainder of the players San Diego took were more toward the undrafted free agent category.

I think you drastically overrate how much ESPN pays it employees.

He is an employee of ESPN as an analyst but is President of Mel Kiper Enterprises (which most likely pays a big chunk of his salary). Its not just ESPN that pays his salary, its all the extras that get added in because he is the face of the NFL draft.

Mel Kiper is a guide and that is how he should be viewed.

Personally even though he has a massive ego, he is good at what he does. Name me a scout, NFL Draft expert, GM, or anyone that has not misjudged lots of talent over the years.

Any of you out there or myself would make the same exact mistakes.

HE is doing what we all dream to do and we are jealous.

Deal with it.

Mel is becoming just another source of information in the long line of analysts that have appeared in the last few years. He has the distinction of being one of the longest running draft analysts and was interviewed by Tim Graham.

Here are some other ratings:

The evaluators are ESPN's Mel Kiper, Clifton Brown from The Sporting News, John Czarnecki of FoxSports.com, AOL Fanhouse's Chris Burke, Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki and CBSSports.com duo Pete Prisco and Rob Rang.

Buffalo Bills (composite grade :flirt:

Kiper's grade: C+

Brown's grade: C-

Burke's grade: B-

Czarnecki's grade: C

Nawrocki's grade: B+

Prisco's grade: C

Rang's grade: C+