NHL Playoffs thread...

Buftex

The slap actually looked to me to be just above the knee on the lower thigh. It may have been the camera, and I did not DVR the game, but I was thinking real bad bruise/charley horse rather than serious knee injury.

That is what I was thinking... Couldn't be high ankle... He collapsed when he tried and step up over off the ice.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The slash was on the right knee, but the LEFT was the one he couldn't put any weight on, which leads me to suspect going into the boards was what did the real damage. Of course, Ruff isn't about to tell.

Tim's take: Vanek lost in defeat to Bruins

JW: Chara, Ryder score 2 each as Bruins even series

Mike Harrington: Offense suffers a Vanek attack

Sal: Sabres lose Game 2 to Bruins, and Vanek to injury

The slash was on the right knee, but the LEFT was the one he couldn't put any weight on,

I remember thinking that at the time but wasn't confident enough about it w/o a replay to say it out loud.

Without Miller, the Sabres are drafting in the top 7; we're just not very good. If Vanek is out for as much as a week, we can probably start setting up tee times. :rolleyes:

I remember thinking that at the time but wasn't confident enough about it w/o a replay to say it out loud.

Without Miller, the Sabres are drafting in the top 7; we're just not very good. If Vanek is out for as much as a week, we can probably start setting up tee times. :rolleyes:

Damn shame if Vanek is out (which seems likely, the way he crawled onto the bench). Thought he really came back with a vengeance at the end of the season.

If he is, whole bunch of guys on that team need to start working a little harder for their paychecks, because Miller can't do it alone. I thought they were in trouble in Game 1; if Rivet's shot hadn't gotten by Rask ...

As for my Habs, if you'd asked me last week, I'd have gladly taken a split in D.C. But to be up 4-1 with the possibility of heading back to Quebec with a 2-0 lead, and then throw it away ... argh.

Per Bill Hoppe: Vanek's doubtful for Game 3, but could return at some point in this series.

Not sure I believe the second part, but we'll see.

Add: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2010/0...-in-series.html

"When a player comes off like that, you obviously think the worst," Ruff said. "That was my initial thoughts. But then after the game, finding out he had been looked at, I was pleasantly suprised the damage isn't severe."

Vanek hasn't ruled out playing Monday night but that appears to be a major stretch.

"This morning I expected to be sore, which I am and I'll just see how it feels tomorrow," he said. "I'm hoping to play. ... I'm still hoping for tomorrow even though I know deep-down it's a stretch. I would say Wednesday then. If it's not Wednesday then, I don't know. Maybe the next game. But the good part is that I feel like and we feel like I'll be back for the series."

The loss yesterday (for the Sabres) sucked, to be sure...but I liked the frenetic controlled offensive energy they showed the last 8 minutes or so, of the game. If they can put together more spells like that in future games, I still like the Sabres chances against Boston. I was really impressed with the way Roy played, kind of like a more controlled Maxim in that last part of the game... Sabres created some great scoring chances for themselves. I don't want to jinx anything, but I kind of think Boston, as much as I realize they played harder than the Sabres for large parts of the game, were pretty lucky to get the goals they got...maybe I am in denial, but I still think Buffalo wins this in 6. Rask got stronger as the game wore on, which is scary, but the only real great chance the Bruins had was that monster play by Paille...

Damn shame if Vanek is out (which seems likely, the way he crawled onto the bench). Thought he really came back with a vengeance at the end of the season.

If he is, whole bunch of guys on that team need to start working a little harder for their paychecks, because Miller can't do it alone. I thought they were in trouble in Game 1; if Rivet's shot hadn't gotten by Rask ...

As for my Habs, if you'd asked me last week, I'd have gladly taken a split in D.C. But to be up 4-1 with the possibility of heading back to Quebec with a 2-0 lead, and then throw it away ... argh.

Don't worry Lori. I'll be at that game tomorrow screaming my lungs out.

That is unless i could make money off my tickets :thumbsup:

The loss yesterday (for the Sabres) sucked, to be sure...but I liked the frenetic controlled offensive energy they showed the last 8 minutes or so, of the game. If they can put together more spells like that in future games, I still like the Sabres chances against Boston. I was really impressed with the way Roy played, kind of like a more controlled Maxim in that last part of the game... Sabres created some great scoring chances for themselves. I don't want to jinx anything, but I kind of think Boston, as much as I realize they played harder than the Sabres for large parts of the game, were pretty lucky to get the goals they got...maybe I am in denial, but I still think Buffalo wins this in 6. Rask got stronger as the game wore on, which is scary, but the only real great chance the Bruins had was that monster play by Paille...

Yea, but when Roy feeds Greer, it ain't Vanek. He's the best pure scorer we have. Connolly doesn't fight for pucks. I'd like to see what Myers could do in front of the net on the PP. What could go wrong??

I like this Harrington guy. Started following his tweets.

He's a lot of fun both on Twitter and when he does the in-game Bills chats for the BuffNews. Also their lead baseball writer, and a good one; in fact, a Bisons story he wrote made it into the Top 10 in this year's APSE awards. Think he was the only local guy to place in the national contest ...

... other than Chuck Pollock, who tied for first place in column-writing. :thumbsup:

So then, Markov getting a cross check in the face in front of the ref 20 seconds before the GTG isn't bad officiating?

Can you please cite some examples of how Habs got away with calls?

Good luck Marge.

There's nothing that can't be fixed by your goaltender not giving up HORRIBLE goals with the game on the line. There's no excuse for either the tying or winning goals. Pathetic getting beat high glove by guys with no dish option.

YOUR Habs? I had no idea. I'm duty-bound to call you names now, you know.

That Caps-Habs match is shaping up to be quite a series.

:lol::sick::angry:

Absolutely ridiculous to lose that game. I've seen pee wee teams do better clearing the puck.

I was wondering who the donkey was just gave up the puck in their zone while under zero pressure that led to the tying goal. I still don't know. Hockey announcers are pretty worthless.

I really like Miller's reaction after the game... He really has his head screwed on right!

Meh he says the same stuff after every loss. "ZOMG sick bounces".

YOUR Habs? I had no idea. I'm duty-bound to call you names now, you know.

That Caps-Habs match is shaping up to be quite a series.

Seriously? I've never made any secret of my puck loyalty to the bleu, blanc, et rouge. I do, however, root for the Swordsmen whenever they're not facing Les Habitants.

High Treason.

Canadian ancestry, although a couple of generations removed. Also, a childhood crush on Guy Lafleur. And, well, that big shiny silver thingy they skate around with. Posing with Lord Stanley was the highlight of my last trip to Toronto. (Sure wasn't the Bills game.)

That said, I own more USA sweaters than Habs ones, and nothing with a maple leaf. Hope that's enough of a mitigating circumstance to commute my sentence.

:lol:

Seriously? I've never made any secret of my puck loyalty to the bleu, blanc, et rouge. I do, however, root for the Swordsmen whenever they're not facing Les Habitants.

Seriously. I can't recall seeing you discuss hockey before...

A Habs fan. Frickin' philistine. You're dead to me.

Canadian ancestry, although a couple of generations removed. Also, a childhood crush on Guy Lafleur. And, well, that big shiny silver thingy they skate around with. Posing with Lord Stanley was the highlight of my last trip to Toronto. (Sure wasn't the Bills game.)

That said, I own more USA sweaters than Habs ones, and nothing with a maple leaf. Hope that's enough of a mitigating circumstance to commute my sentence.

:sick:

And you have Canadian ancestry, no less. :lol:

I wonder if crayonz contracts out...

My favorite series to watch as of now(besides the hometown boys) is the Phoenix V Detroit series. Fast paced, hard hitting, goal scoring.

Who ever wins that series is going to have a tough time making it out of the 2nd round IMO. Giving it 150% in the first round in a series that looks like it will go 6-7 games.

I am very concerned about tonights game. I thought the Sabres would take care of Boston something like 4-1 on Saturday and was very suprised to see how off they looked at times. Passes were missing, clearing attempts were getting out of the zone, and Boston was def setting up their plays better. It's going to take a big effort all around tonight to bounce back from the last game.

I am very concerned about tonights game. I thought the Sabres would take care of Boston something like 4-1 on Saturday and was very suprised to see how off they looked at times. Passes were missing, clearing attempts were getting out of the zone, and Boston was def setting up their plays better. It's going to take a big effort all around tonight to bounce back from the last game.

i think we'd all be surprised to hear how greatly Vanek going out rattled the team. even though it shouldnt be much of a surprise, given how young a lot of our players are.

Ruff talked about it in his post-game, that after TV went out, the bench was quiet the rest of the game. star player goes out, the lines were shifted, and everyone loses their focus. you dont like that happening, but it does. i think (hope) that with the day off, and time for everyone to wrap their heads around the situation, we'll see a different team tonight.

i think we'd all be surprised to hear how greatly Vanek going out rattled the team. even though it shouldnt be much of a surprise, given how young a lot of our players are.

Ruff talked about it in his post-game, that after TV went out, the bench was quiet the rest of the game. star player goes out, the lines were shifted, and everyone loses their focus. you dont like that happening, but it does. i think (hope) that with the day off, and time for everyone to wrap their heads around the situation, we'll see a different team tonight.

I certainly hope so...that was brutal to watch...I mean yeah you'd like to have your leading goal getter in the line up but the way they responded to adversity was horrible...and it doesn't give me much faith they will make it very far in the playoffs...I'd had such high hopes coming in this season to...they need to reaffirm my belief with this game tonight...

I certainly hope so...that was brutal to watch...I mean yeah you'd like to have your leading goal getter in the line up but the way they responded to adversity was horrible...and it doesn't give me much faith they will make it very far in the playoffs...I'd had such high hopes coming in this season to...they need to reaffirm my belief with this game tonight...

even as a huge homer of a fan, i have to say it's a mistake to get your hopes up. this is a "good to very good" team but they are still a couple of players, or couple of years, away from being serious cup contenders. making the playoffs lived up to the expectations. id say winning the division was above expectations. and winning the first round of the playoffs would be huge for this team. anything past that is just bonus.

even as a huge homer of a fan, i have to say it's a mistake to get your hopes up. this is a "good to very good" team but they are still a couple of players, or couple of years, away from being serious cup contenders. making the playoffs lived up to the expectations. id say winning the division was above expectations. and winning the first round of the playoffs would be huge for this team. anything past that is just bonus.

Top ten scoring team, top five goaltender, top penalty kill...I thought they stood a pretty good chance...figuring Vanek had an off season, he's got a lot of goals left to score in him this year...maybe I was just looking at them wrong...through my buffalo goggles heehehe...but after seeing last game I seen my folly they aren't near as good as I gave them credit for

I don't doubt the impact that Vanek's injury had on the psyche of the team. Any team that loses their big gun, off of a line that had been really clicking, will likely stumble for a few minutes.

However, I'm all set with hearing how young this Sabres team is. It's a b.s. excuse that has been perpetuated by Quinn and Regier, and it's just not true anymore.

If you take their likely roster on any given day in these playoffs (20 players):

Forwards:

Connolly- 28

Roy- 26

Gaustad- 28

Ellis- 28

Hecht- 32

Kennedy- 23

Torres- 28

Mair- 31

Pominville- 27

Vanek- 26

Grier- 35

Stafford- 24

Kaleta- 23

Defensemen:

Myers- 20

Tallinder- 31

Lydman- 32

Montador- 30

Rivet- 35

Butler/Sekera- 23 (both)

Miller- 29

AVERAGE AGE: 27.95 YEARS OLD

Of those, the following players have been on the team since the lockout, in the '05-'06 season and have been involved in two runs to the Eastern Conference finals: Connolly, Roy, Grier (traded after '06), Pominville, Vanek, Hecht, Gaustad, Lydman, Mair, Tallinder, Miller. Stafford came up in the '06-'07 season and was a part of that playoff run, and Kaleta made his regular season debut during the '06-'07 season as well. Regardless of age, I would hardly call those guys "green" in the ways of the NHL. They have been through the trials and tribulations of full seasons, ups and downs, playoff pressure, etc.

Myers is probably their best player besides Miller on any given night, so that also hurts the "age" argument.

Darcy continues to talk like this team is going to magically blossom into something special, once they get older. He talks like they're all 22 years old, and a lot of fans buy into their "young" team. It's just not true. It's a salary cap league, every team has cheap young players on their roster. The Sabres actually have a big chunk of NHL experience and playoff experience on their roster, compared to the majority of the playoff teams.

I realize that in the previous go-around, guys like Roy, Vanek, and Pommer didn't have to be "the guy." But they were there, they know the ropes. And they're deep into their 3rd season beyond the Drury/Briere regime. In my opinion, if they can't step up and get it done now, it's because they aren't good enough, not because they are young.

Threadjack over ...

Oh, go stuff a backbacon into your toque, hoser. :rolleyes:

Bill Hoppe reports that Stafford is "80-90 percent" probable to play tonight, according to Lindy Ruff.

I'd be more encourage if he were "80-90 percent" returning from a sore thumb and not a concussion. Isn't league policy "no symptoms for three days", not "eh, close enough"?

I'd be more encourage if he were "80-90 percent" returning from a sore thumb and not a concussion. Isn't league policy "no symptoms for three days", not "eh, close enough"?

You must be symptom free before you can even skate, much less participate in practice. He suffered the concussion last Saturday, 9 days ago. He went through all of the testing and baseline comparisons during the week, and was cleared to return to activity last Thursday (he skated on his own the morning of Game 1 after the team had their AM session.) He had no recurring symptoms from skating and was cleared for practice, which he did fully yesterday. So I guess the protocol was followed.

The "80-90%" number probably came from the fact that Stafford has been awful the last month of the season and Ruff was considering calling up Mancari or Gerbe from Portland to fill out the dress roster.

I don't doubt the impact that Vanek's injury had on the psyche of the team. Any team that loses their big gun, off of a line that had been really clicking, will likely stumble for a few minutes.

However, I'm all set with hearing how young this Sabres team is. It's a b.s. excuse that has been perpetuated by Quinn and Regier, and it's just not true anymore.

If you take their likely roster on any given day in these playoffs (20 players):

Forwards:

Connolly- 28

Roy- 26

Gaustad- 28

Ellis- 28

Hecht- 32

Kennedy- 23

Torres- 28

Mair- 31

Pominville- 27

Vanek- 26

Grier- 35

Stafford- 24

Kaleta- 23

Defensemen:

Myers- 20

Tallinder- 31

Lydman- 32

Montador- 30

Rivet- 35

Butler/Sekera- 23 (both)

Miller- 29

You missed 20 year old Tyler Ennis. Anyway, the big issue here is that 2 of the 6 starting d-men (regardless of whether Sekera or Butler plays) are playing in the playoffs. That's going to be a big question mark no matter how you look at it.

You missed 20 year old Tyler Ennis.

Speaking of....youngsters need to learn to keep their head up. Hope he's not done for the year after that hit. :rolleyes:

Edit: Whoops...that was Ellis, not Ennis! And it looks like he's ok.

Speaking of....youngsters need to learn to keep their head up. Hope he's not done for the year after that hit. :devil:

Edit: Whoops...that was Ellis, not Ennis! And it looks like he's ok.

To be fair, Ennis is getting pummeled out there too.

the end is near for the 2010 Sabres, I'm afraid.

too small, too soft, not enough intensity, not built for the playoffs.

congrats Darcy - you built a team in your own timid image.

Outskated, outhustled. Bruins deserved that one. Glad I din't spring fot Center Ice. :devil: Let's go Yankees!

the end is near for the 2010 Sabres, I'm afraid.

too small, too soft, not enough intensity, not built for the playoffs.

congrats Darcy - you built a team in your own timid image.

Not only small, but no talent to boot. How did they make the playoffs?

Outskated, outhustled. Bruins deserved that one.

Don't forget outhit. Sabres were limping to the bench all night.

But hey, they finally showed a little heart in the 3d and then played hard for a whole 5 minutes at the end of the game.