NHL Playoffs thread...

Buftex

Definitely. Like the ncaa tournament it's a nice upset/story for 24 hours. Then the next round starts and it's "oh crap nobody cares about Pens-Habs".

Tell that to the defending Cup champs, or to 33 million Canadians who all either love or hate the Habs.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell that to the defending Cup champs, or to 33 million Canadians who all either love or hate the Habs.

Most people hate or love Crosby too, so I'm sure everyone left in the playoffs and the remaining fans of eliminated teams will be rooting hard against Pittsburgh.

Good point. Canada's national hero versus the team that dominates the game's history.

Should be fun. I posted about tonight's game on Facebook -- where my profile pic is me posing with Lord Stanley at the Hockey HOF -- and now my yinzer cousins are talking trash. Love it. :thumbsup:

Crosby is considerably better than Ovy so we'll see if le CH is up for the task.

I'm not worried about Malkin though, he should be shutting it down soon as it's way passed his obligations on his contract :thumbsup:

As a Pens fan, after the Olympics, I finally think Crosby is better than Ovie. Crosby plays every part of the game correctly. Ovechkin is a pure goal scorer and he hits. However, his hits are also more flash than actual meaningful substance, just like a lot of his goals. Until he learns to lead, he just might be the Dominic Wilkins of of NHL. All stats, no substance.

As far as Malkin, he is a mystery. Malkin has some of most meaningless points in the game and disappears for weeks sometimes. Then, he'll dominate for three games. Then disappear, then dominate. I honestly think the Pens would be much better with Marian Hossa than with Malkin.

I love Malkin, but he is a turnover machine, and he is very inconsistent. A star? Yeah. A superstar? Not even close.

The Pens aren't as good as they were last year. They miss Rob Scuderi badly. But, this first round made it a lot easier. I still not really sure how Pittsburgh beat Detroit last year, but hey, I'm not arguing.

Good point. Canada's national hero versus the team that dominates the game's history.

Should be fun. I posted about tonight's game on Facebook -- where my profile pic is me posing with Lord Stanley at the Hockey HOF -- and now my yinzer cousins are talking trash. Love it. :thumbsup:

Nice. I didn't want to talk about the Pens in here, until the Sabres were done with hockey. Cuz no one really cares to hear about Crosby when their team is still in it. I see it as kind of disrespectful. But after tonight, I couldn't help it. I hate Washington with a passion.

All my friends on FB are laughing it up at Washington's expense. I think my News Feed has more gloating tonight, than after a Pens win.

Dominates history...

Sometimes i think that's the problem. That era is over. They should start a new team, call it LE CH #2 since there is no way a team with that much ability for such a long time will ever put on that uniform ever again.

WOW! I am stunned. I didn't watch the Habs/Caps game, because, honestly, I didn't give the Habs a chance to win this game... I should know better! Never underestimate a Canadian team in the playoffs, no matter what their seeding is. If they can pull off a series victory against the Penguins, I will never count any team out of anything again...congrats Lori and Meazza...

Second, no offense to Sabres fans, but Boston sucks.

There are a few ways to look at this. Let me begin by saying Boston is far from a powerhouse, I'm not trying to paint them that way. Pittsburgh is most definitely a powerhouse and is easily the favorite to win the East now. However...

In 2007-08, Boston finished #8 in the East, and faced #1 Montreal who dominated the Bruins, winning all 8 during the regular season. Boston got down 2-0 and 3-1, but forced a game 7 where they were eliminated.

In 2008-09, they were #1 in the East (by a mile) and were one point behind San Jose (117 to 116) for the President's Trophy. Boston led the league (by a mile) with a +78 goal differential. In the playoffs, they swept the Canadiens VERY easily in the 1st round. Against Carolina in Rd 2, they won the first game, lost the next three, and then battled back to tie the series, only to lose game 7 in OT.

In 2010, that same team is essentially intact. They will get Marc Savard back for the 2nd round, which should at the very least provide a boost to their power play, which was successful in Rd 1 to begin with. Before Halak's performances in the last two games, they had the best goalie in the playoffs. They have a solid, big, veteran team who plays with a nasty demeanor.

I'm not saying they would or should be favored to advance in any series, but they are far from a pushover, and don't "suck" at all. Any series victory by them shouldn't be a huge surprise. They are in their 3rd consecutive year of playoff battles with essentially the same roster. And now they have home ice in Rd 2. If Rask plays like he's played all year, they are dangerous.

How do you expect them to play against a juggernaut offensive team?

WOOOOOOOOT

Yeah I know. I just despise that kind of hockey. Good luck though meazza. Pens and Crosby will be a tougher test.

There are a few ways to look at this. Let me begin by saying Boston is far from a powerhouse, I'm not trying to paint them that way. Pittsburgh is most definitely a powerhouse and is easily the favorite to win the East now. However...

In 2007-08, Boston finished #8 in the East, and faced #1 Montreal who dominated the Bruins, winning all 8 during the regular season. Boston got down 2-0 and 3-1, but forced a game 7 where they were eliminated.

In 2008-09, they were #1 in the East (by a mile) and were one point behind San Jose (117 to 116) for the President's Trophy. Boston led the league (by a mile) with a +78 goal differential. In the playoffs, they swept the Canadiens VERY easily in the 1st round. Against Carolina in Rd 2, they won the first game, lost the next three, and then battled back to tie the series, only to lose game 7 in OT.

In 2010, that same team is essentially intact. They will get Marc Savard back for the 2nd round, which should at the very least provide a boost to their power play, which was successful in Rd 1 to begin with. Before Halak's performances in the last two games, they had the best goalie in the playoffs. They have a solid, big, veteran team who plays with a nasty demeanor.

I'm not saying they would or should be favored to advance in any series, but they are far from a pushover, and don't "suck" at all. Any series victory by them shouldn't be a huge surprise. They are in their 3rd consecutive year of playoff battles with essentially the same roster. And now they have home ice in Rd 2. If Rask plays like he's played all year, they are dangerous.

Good post. IMO, only the Habs series is a true 'upset'. Otherwise, there was minimal difference between the #2 - #9 teams in the East.

Well the team that's playing cares, that's true. And Canadians care about hockey, that's also true. But just like most of us would watch a Bengals-Jaguars playoff game, Candians would watch a Lightning-Thrashers playoff series. This isn't an intriguing series to me.

As a Pens fan, after the Olympics, I finally think Crosby is better than Ovie. Crosby plays every part of the game correctly. Ovechkin is a pure goal scorer and he hits. However, his hits are also more flash than actual meaningful substance, just like a lot of his goals. Until he learns to lead, he just might be the Dominic Wilkins of of NHL. All stats, no substance.

As far as Malkin, he is a mystery. Malkin has some of most meaningless points in the game and disappears for weeks sometimes. Then, he'll dominate for three games. Then disappear, then dominate. I honestly think the Pens would be much better with Marian Hossa than with Malkin.

I love Malkin, but he is a turnover machine, and he is very inconsistent. A star? Yeah. A superstar? Not even close.

The Pens aren't as good as they were last year. They miss Rob Scuderi badly. But, this first round made it a lot easier. I still not really sure how Pittsburgh beat Detroit last year, but hey, I'm not arguing.

As you know, I'm a Pens' fan too. But I disagree with you on Geno. For the bad stuff he does (incl taking dumb penalties), he also causes a lot of turnovers and is absolutely crucial for us on the PP. I have a feeling that he's going to explode in this series, esp. if the Habs try to triple-team Crosby like they did with Ovechkin, and Crosby and Geno play on the same line for parts of these games.

I will agree that that defense has been a serious concern. Gologoski sucks; Gonchar looks like he's run out of gas; and Eaton is Eaton.

Great analysis of Boston. I can agree with this, but they don't have enough firepower, IMO. The notion that defense wins championships in sports is the biggest made up, ESPN driven, garbage in sports. Defense hardly ever wins championships, although it has been done. Even when the Pittsburgh Steelers were winning SB's with the "Steel Curtain", there were five hall of famers on the offensive side of the ball.

But I digress. I just don't think Boston has enough firepower to win. They do, though, have hot goaltending, and a few very good players in spots. But eventually, they'll have to score, and I just don't think they'll be able to do that.

As far as Pittsburgh goes. I've been telling people this all year. They are not as good this year, as they were last year. Pittsburgh's defense is missing toughness on the blue line, as well as guys like Gonchar, Guerin and other vets are hitting the wall. Pittsburgh's PP has also been terrible all season. That is also a carryover from last year. It has not improved, although it was decent in round 1. Pittsburgh is obviously a good team. They just aren't a superior team this year. Malkin is also very streaky, so whichever Malkin shows up can mean how long a series will actually last. I will say this though.......if Malkin shows up and plays hard, Pittsburgh can end the next two series in four. If he doesn't show up everynight, which is what will happen, they will go six....at least. Malkin single handedly handed Carolina their exit papers last year's Conference Finals. He can easily do that to any of the Eastern teams left......but he most likely won't.

I'm not sure though, that the remaining teams in the East can really mount a great challenge against them. If the Pens do win the East, I can see them getting smoked by a Western Conference team.

In all, great analysis of Boston, IMO, on your part.

Good post. IMO, only the Habs series is a true 'upset'. Otherwise, there was minimal difference between the #2 - #9 teams in the East.

Minimal difference between Boston, Philly, Montreal, Buffalo, and say #4 Pittsburgh? Cmon man!

As you know, I'm a Pens' fan too. But I disagree with you on Geno. For the bad stuff he does (incl taking dumb penalties), he also causes a lot of turnovers and is absolutely crucial for us on the PP. I have a feeling that he's going to explode in this series, esp. if the Habs try to triple-team Crosby like they did with Ovechkin, and Crosby and Geno play on the same line for parts of these games.

I will agree that that defense has been a serious concern. Gologoski sucks; Gonchar looks like he's run out of gas; and Eaton is Eaton.

I hear ya JR. I love Gonchar, but too realize that he has finally hit the wall. He's still the key to our PP. He's a great point man, but his skills are diminishing FAST. Guerins are all but gone. Goli does suck. He's supposed to be like Gonch, but man, he's just not there. Eaton? I don't even count him....lol.

As far as Malkin. He's just not been there this year. You can count on Crosby every night. Their stats, I think, were close in round 1, but Malkin's points and game was no where near as dominant as Crosby. Malkin is also a turnover waiting to happen. Your also right, he's taking bad penalties at times. He's just not anywhere near Crosby's level of play. However, at times, he does play at Crosby's level, and when that happens, the Pens are impossible to beat. IF he decides to bring it, the Penguins will absolutely hammer the next two opponents in the playoffs. However, he hasn't really "brough it" yet. Although, he did look better against Ottawa.

And on a side note.................Jordan Staal is the most overrated player in the NHL. I'm getting sick of hearing how young he is, and waiting for him to develop. He's been in the league for years, and all we see, is "his reach". Great Jordan, how about getting your skates out of the quicksand, and do something that actually helps the team score goals, and live up to that repuatation you have.

BTW, if I was Darcy Regeir, I would be hanging out in Chicago towards the end of the playoffs....they are going to have to shed some MAJOR salary....they have almost 50 million tied up in Hossa kane Toews, Soup, Keith, Boland, Sharp, Seabrook and Huet