NHL Playoffs thread...

Buftex

Entertaining first night of NHL playoffs...Devils, Red Wings, Penguins and Sharks all lose...no OT thrillers, but it is only the first night...and the real thing starts tomorrow! GO SABRES!!!

This ought to get you pumped!!!

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Entertaining first night of NHL playoffs...Devils, Red Wings, Penguins and Sharks all lose...no OT thrillers, but it is only the first night...and the real thing starts tomorrow! GO SABRES!!!

YEA man, we need to start off with a bevy of goals..... Make boston aware that we are here to sweep em!!

but--

(03:10 AM) Mr. Fancy Pants - I am hoping that this trend of the home team losing the first game of the series does not continue tomorrow evening.

(03:12 AM) Mr. Fancy Pants - The yotes/wings gamr being the exception.

CAN'T WAIT!!! GO SABRES!!! If you don't like playoff hockey, there's a chance you are a dead zombie wandering the earth.

As for last nights East games--

Pens played undisciplined and Fleury was real shaky, they deserved to lose.

There was a point in the 2nd period when the the Pens were down 3-2 but had some momentum...In the Ottawa end, Spezza was grinding with Crosby in the corner, and maybe Spezza got a little aggressive and high with the elbow on Sid, but it was nothing much, Sid didn't even really flinch and there was no call. Sid even won the puck and just skated away as Spezza lost his balance. Then Kunitz for Pittsburgh came flying into the corner and blasted Spezza when the puck was nowhere close, I guess he was "protecting" Crosby. He was penalized. Three points--

1. Crosby is as athletic as any player, is quite strong, has the puck constantly, works hard in the corners, and gives plenty shots of his own. He can handle himself just fine.

2. It was Jason Spezza, not Neil or Ruttu. I hardly think Spezza is trying to "run" somebody.

3. Kunitz took a stupid penalty in a one-goal game in the playoffs, and Ottawa pumped one in on the PP a minute later to make the score 4-2. Bye bye momentum, bye bye game 1.

You can't do stupid things like that in the playoffs. On a Tuesday night in January in game 44 of the season, sure you don't want other teams taking liberties on your stars. But there's much more at stake here, it's hockey, you have to just play and let some things roll off your back. In these playoffs, Crosby is going to take MANY worse shots than a weak elbow from Jason Spezza...If the Pens react everytime, they'll be in trouble.

Philly played a great road game, nice job making 2 goals stand up.

This is the one that gets me ready for the playoffs:

, except for that part at the 3 minute mark. :w00t:

Great moment.... but the greatest Sabres playoff goal, modern times, has got to be Pomminville in OT vs Ottawa:

I know Darin mentioned this in another thread but the thing that stands out most in the clip is we need Jim Lorenz back. :w00t:

Great moment.... but the greatest Sabres playoff goal, modern times, has got to be Pomminville in OT vs Ottawa:

I was watching at a friend's house with about 15 people, everyone threw in $5 and picked a player to score the winner...I had Pommer!!! Needless to say that cash was gone immediately at the postgame trip celebratory trip to the pub.

I know Darin mentioned this in another thread but the thing that stands out most in the clip is we need Jim Lorenz back. :w00t:

For me, it is truly a case of not appreciating what you have, until it is gone... I only started appreciating Lorenz, with the advent of Center ICE, and being subjected to so many other broadcasts from around the league. Lorenz and Jeanerett were right up there...

I wonder what Lorenz is up to, these days. I was hoping that they might get him to do a game or two, when Neale was on loan to CBC... I am not impressed by Harry at all... he sounds like the generic broadcaster they have on EA Sports NHL games... he offers zero insight, and really doesn't seem as familiar with the Sabres as one would think he should be.

I was watching at a friend's house with about 15 people, everyone threw in $5 and picked a player to score the winner...I had Pommer!!! Needless to say that cash was gone immediately at the postgame trip celebratory trip to the pub.

Similar situation for me. I had graduated UB a year earlier but was back in Buffalo for the graduation ceremony/party of a bunch of my buddies who had stayed for the 5th year. We had the game on at the party and it was so packed it was hard to keep your attention on the game. The way that goal set up, I could hardly believe my eyes. Talk about out of nowhere. That goal had everything needed to make it legendary.

Short-handed, overtime, playoff clinching goal! (Say that 5 times) I was watching it at a bar in Council Bluffs, Iowa. I exploded with glee, silencing the whole bar. :lol::w00t::D

I left shortly afterward.

My all-time fav OT playoff goal still is Robert's in Montreal, first playoff season '73.

Short-handed, overtime, playoff clinching goal! (Say that 5 times) I was watching it at a bar in Council Bluffs, Iowa. I exploded with glee, silencing the whole bar. :w00t::rolleyes::blush:

I left shortly afterward.

My all-time fav OT playoff goal still is Robert's in Montreal, first playoff season '73.

Couldn't find that one.....but, maybe the greatest goal in Sabres playoff history, for the youngins:

I was 8! My earliest Sabres memory....I remember having to get up and flip the tv station between the Sabres game, and the television show "Sunshine", based on John Denvers' hit song...it was my sisters favorite show...we only had one tv, and with 8 kids, we all had our own "night" to control the tv. My sister was nice enough to let me and my brother watch the Sabres, as long as she got her half hour of "Sunshine"... the good old days...

btw- I had a show to work the night of that Ottawa/Buffalo game...doing sound. I got home at about 2:45am, and watched the Sabres game on tape (vhs!!) delay...I had avoided knowing what happned all night (not that hard to do in Texas...not a hotbed of hockey)...so I saw the game winner at about 6am...great game all the way around....I was sure that the cup was ours, after that....

Just TRY to get this song out of your head.

Great song....I would love to get that on cd...anyone?

My earliest Sabres memories are the first Stanley Cup finals against the Flyers....I certainly remember "Gonna Win that Cup".

But does anyone remember this ode to the French Connection....I don't:

Another good one:

I like Hecht, but our offense can survive without him...especially now that Ennis is on the big boy club and making a name for himself.

The Sabres anemic offense could survive without anybody. Vanek, their leading scorer going on four seasons, missed a chunk of time and you didn't even notice.

In the playoffs, Hecht and his TEAM LEADING +14 will be missed. You need superstars to win championships, but in the grind of 7 game series, your 3rd-liners are often the difference makers.

The Sabres anemic offense could survive without anybody. Vanek, their leading scorer going on four seasons, missed a chunk of time and you didn't even notice.

In the playoffs, Hecht and his TEAM LEADING +14 will be missed. You need superstars to win championships, but in the grind of 7 game series, your 3rd-liners are often the difference makers.

I agree...I think losing Hecht is significant. I know he has been up and down over the years, but he is a solid playoff performer over the years.

The offense isn't "anemic". Not out-of-this-world like the Capitals or Blackhawks, but not anemic. Didn't we rank 10th in goals scored this season?

The offense isn't "anemic". Not out-of-this-world like the Capitals or Blackhawks, but not anemic. Didn't we rank 10th in goals scored this season?

Exactly what I was going to say....top ten in scoring...Vanek Roy and Pommer have had slower years so to speak but they are more than talented enough to carry a team's goal scoring duties...

Then there is the hot goaltending of Miller...and a pretty solid defense...and the number one penalty kill...and a power play that has jumped up ten spots since Ennis has come up...I think we are MORE than capable of getting to the cup finals this season...

I watched the Sens/Pens...ridiculous...I havent seen two teams play so sloppy and two goalies look so weak in the playoffs in a LONG time...not scary....

I watched the Devils and Philly...neither team scare me there either...Boston CERTAINLY don't scare me...Maybe OV and his Caps are frightening but we play them pretty well usually...GO SABRES

Birthdays over. Go fug yourself. :rolleyes:

Well with that I don't only want them to hoist the cup in San Jose but to skate over to where you and I (we will be going together right) will be sitting so I can give it a big !@#$ing kiss right in front of you. :blush:

I don't think you would find one Sabres fan or "hockey person" who thinks that this roster has enough scoring to win a championship. They were quite balanced, which is good, but have no "go-to guy" or distinct #1 line, which is bad.

Nice finishes by Roy, Pominville, and Vanek (last two games anyways) put a surge in the final goal scoring tallies. Ennis and Gerbe have provided a spark down the stretch. But on March 1st things looked pretty bleak offensively. They had a bunch of guys with 10-15 goals thru 60 games. And nothing really has changed...They were going as far as Miller would take them then, just as they are now.

I don't think you would find one Sabres fan or "hockey person" who thinks that this roster has enough scoring to win a championship.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Like most, I think the offense alone isn't talented enough to win the Stanley Cup. But I also don't think it's an albatross that will weigh us down. Our scorers won't put up 5 or 6 per game in the playoffs, but they can easily pot enough goals to support Miller and the defense.

After all, defense and goaltending win championships. Just ask the Devils.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Like most, I think the offense alone isn't talented enough to win the Stanley Cup. But I also don't think it's an albatross that will weigh us down. Our scorers won't put up 5 or 6 per game in the playoffs, but they can easily pot enough goals to support Miller and the defense.

After all, defense and goaltending win championships. Just ask the Devils.

Not to kill your thunder, but last time the Devils won the cup, they were 2nd in the leauge for most goals scored in the regular season...

Not to kill your thunder, but last time the Devils won the cup, they were 2nd in the leauge for most goals scored in the regular season...

Ok thanks...but that's just a bad example on my part. Being an offensive juggernaut is not a prerequisite for winning the cup.

The Sabres are above average on offense, great on defense, and elite at goaltender. On special teams, they are mediocre on the power play and elite on the penalty kill. That's a formula that can win the Stanley Cup, no matter what the haters want to say.