Scouts Response to Jim Kelly

"Does Jim Kelly potentially have something of value to add to the Bills? Sure. Is it in the realm of picking players? Hell no.

Link

I love that Kelly is out there giving love to the Bill's, but he should be waiting until after the draft and go show his support to the players that Bill's actually put on their roster. Not out there trying to influence who they pick. This guy could end up on the Patriots roster for all we know.

"Does Jim Kelly potentially have something of value to add to the Bills? Sure. Is it in the realm of picking players? Hell no.

Link

I love that Kelly is out there giving love to the Bill's, but he should be waiting until after the draft and go show his support to the players that Bill's actually put on their roster. Not out there trying to influence who they pick. This guy could end up on the Patriots roster for all we know.

Ummm so some obscure scout says that about kelly. I see...and that 'scout' had drafted who? Oh thats right no one..... he is a scout. How many probowls? None? Superbowl apperances? None? Is the guy a HOF member? No?

Then said scout can STFU until he actually does something like kelly has. Until then, Go get the GM a cup of coffee and himself a cup of stfu.

Ummm so some obscure scout says that about kelly. I see...and that 'scout' had drafted who? Oh thats right no one..... he is a scout. How many probowls? None? Superbowl apperances? None? Is the guy a HOF member? No?

Then said scout can STFU until he actually does something like kelly has. Until then, Go get the GM a cup of coffee and himself a cup of stfu.

Another incredibly ignorant post.

Until someone steps up and beats Kelly's accomplishments on the field he remains in a leadership role with the Bills. I love his passion for the team and the city.

I think we all love what he did on the field, and his passion, but that doesnt include drafting/rating players. I am sure he watched a lot of tape on qbs, so his opinion does hold some extra weight, but lets be honest -- would you rather have a guy that was a successful player, or a guy that is a successful scout make the call? Neither is a lock but ill take my chance with the guy that has earned the position by evaluating players.

#1- kelly is a paid "ambassador" of the bills......his job is to smooze.

#2- kelly said he "liked" Tebow....who doesn't ?? (most think he's worth at least a 3rd rounder or better)

#3- kelly made it perfectly clear that he was not qualified to put a "grade" , draft round recommendation or make a comparison to other players at other positions.

Until someone steps up and beats Kelly's accomplishments on the field he remains in a leadership role with the Bills. I love his passion for the team and the city.

Jim Kelly has absolutely no leadership role with the Bills. He is on the payroll as a PR employee. No one in the front office asks him his opinion about prospects because they don't care what he thinks. He is not a scout nor pretends to be. He does not spend any time evaluating players. He is a PR person.

I am not being critical of Jim Kelly. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he has done promoting his cause of child screening. While a number of people have been critical of the region Jim Kelly has been a staunch and proud advocate for western NY.

#1- kelly is a paid "ambassador" of the bills......his job is to smooze.

#2- kelly said he "liked" Tebow....who doesn't ?? (most think he's worth at least a 3rd rounder or better)

#3- kelly made it perfectly clear that he was not qualified to put a "grade" , draft round recommendation or a comparison to other players at other positions.

I agree with all of this -- its a fine line to walk though. I think sometimes he has stumbled over it a little bit. Example being calling out Trent in his original call for tebow. Whether or not you agree with him, I dont think its his place.... I do think hes earned a couple free passes, and a slip up here and there isnt a huge deal, as long as it isnt a major offense. I also appreciate that he came back to the comments, and toned them down some, admitting he isnt a scout, he just likes the guy based on what he does know.

That was the journalistic equivalent of an angry poster. Kelly, himself, recognizes his role when he says he's not a talent evaluator. What I think he can do, from the years spent on the field/sidelines with other greats and not so greats, is to be able to look at a player and know what he's made of. Will this guy run through a wall for you. Is he about self, or will he put it all on the line for a teammate. I would trust him on that.

Gotta love Florio's penchant for printing the insults of anonymous sources. What journalistic ethics this guy has!

ok...well personally, being a journalism major, i see nothing wrong with anonymous sources but whatever. way to overreact.

If this was a post bashing the Pats* you wouldn't have a problem with it or the anonymous source...

The sooner Bills fans figure that out -- and the sooner the powers-that-be who are running the team explain it to him -- the better off the franchise will be.

:devil: Okay. We'll try to work on that.

"Guys like me that have committed our lives to our craft thank you, seriously. We desert our families and work our butts off to have clowns like this make a mockery of what we do."

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

the dangers of allowing former players
:thumbsup:

Always wear a helmet and don't go alone!

ok...well personally, being a journalism major, i see nothing wrong with anonymous sources but whatever. way to overreact.

If this was a post bashing the Pats* you wouldn't have a problem with it or the anonymous source...

On the other hand, anyone can engage in anonymous mudslinging. If you're going to rake someone over the coals using your professional experience to speak for your supposed expertise on the subject, don't be a coward and hide behind anonymity.

Anonymous sources are fine, just not when they're doing nothing more than hurling insults. If a scout had inside knowledge of Kelly overplaying his role with the team but he wanted to stay anonymous I'd be fine with that. But a scout using this as an opportunity to anonymously call Kelly a clown based on Florio's wacked out interpretation of Kelly's comments is lame. Besides, there probably is no scout just like there probably was no NFL GM ripping the hiring of Buddy Nix on PFT a few weeks ago.

How many guys has Kelly drafted? How many times has he sat in the stands at a college game watching the players and taking notes? How many times has he spoken to a HC about a guy? The scout is right but he's making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Kelly didn't say anything beyond what I feel is an opinion. I don't see a whole lot of damage here, if any.

I like his role in Buffalo. He's a good guy who wants to keep the team in Buffalo.

I'm shocked at how uninformed Florio and this anonymous Scout are about the the actual situation...Jimbo was working as a "Welcome Wagon" of sorts I'm quite sure at the Bills request...What was Kelly going to say when asked..."I think the Kid sucks but The Bills asked me to be here so..." His "endorsement" of Tebow was hardly more than saying "I think The Kid can play and I think he'd be great in Buffalo..." Big freakin deal...He was not trying to be a Scout or trying to use his influence, whatever it is...He was there because he's a freaking HOF QB who Played and still lives in Buffalo...He's Mr. Buffalo to a lot of Folks...He was there to make Tebow feel welcome and nothing more...I can't image for a single second that Buddy Nix or Chan Gailey is looking for Kelly's endorsement or Scouting Report on Tebow...They are going to do what they are going to do regardless...Anyone with a lick of sense knows that...So what's Mr Anonymous getting his panties all up in a wad about?

Whatever...

Wow, scanning thru PFT i ran across this little article. tho i do understand his point i do think that the front office would still stand by thier own scouts referal over a ex player. just thought this was funny how anal the guy got over kelly puttin in his 2 cents. what do you all think. Flame away!

A thank you note from a high-level scout

Posted by Mike Florio on April 4, 2010 7:12 AM ET

From time to time, we explain the dangers of allowing former players of a given franchise to chime in on the personnel decisions of the team for which they played.

On Saturday, we addressed the specific perils of Bills quarterback Jim Kelly's decision to make public recommendations regarding whether Tim Tebow should receive an invitation to live and work in Buffalo.

Said a high-level scout in response, "Guys like me that have committed our lives to our craft thank you, seriously. We desert our families and work our butts off to have clowns like this make a mockery of what we do."

Still, we realize former players love the limelight. Whether it's scouting or acting or, in the case of some current players, ballroom dancing, they think that everything will come to them as naturally and easily as the sport for which they received an excessive abundance of God-given skill.

When it comes to scouting (and, for that matter, acting), the player simply can't expect to show up and do it well. Even those who have a genuine aptitude for it, like Ravens G.M. Ozzie Newsome, have to spend years working at it, doing the thankless parts of the job -- the stuff that many former players would find either uninteresting or beneath them.

Does Jim Kelly potentially have something of value to add to the Bills? Sure. Is it in the realm of picking players? Hell no.

The sooner Bills fans figure that out -- and the sooner the powers-that-be who are running the team explain it to him -- the better off the franchise will be.

Here's what cracks me up;

Jim is asked a question about his thoughts on Tebow. He answers. Then douchebags like Florio and his band of merry morons attempt to bash Kelly for "knowing it all". That's what Jim gets for answering a friggin question.

THEN, Tebow is SCHEDULED to work out for the bills. During his stay here, Jim finds it would be a nice gesture to take the kid out to dinner, talk some Football, and give him some tips. Suddenly, Jim is "whooing" our first round draft choice.

See the theme here??? It's the off-season, so when in Rome..... <_<

Wow, scanning thru PFT i ran across this little article. tho i do understand his point i do think that the front office would still stand by thier own scouts referal over a ex player. just thought this was funny how anal the guy got over kelly puttin in his 2 cents. what do you all think. Flame away!

A thank you note from a high-level scout

Posted by Mike Florio on April 4, 2010 7:12 AM ET

From time to time, we explain the dangers of allowing former players of a given franchise to chime in on the personnel decisions of the team for which they played....

Once again, remember the source. Mike Florio may have put a lot of work and time into his "rumor mill blog", that has gotten national attention by NBC Sports sponsoring it. But that doesn't change the fact that he has the freedom to print any damn thing he wants about any team or player or ex-player for that matter, since he always uses un-named "sources" for every one of his stories.

Here's what cracks me up;

Jim is asked a question about his thoughts on Tebow. He answers. Then douchebags like Florio and his band of merry morons attempt to bash Kelly for "knowing it all". That's what Jim gets for answering a friggin question.

THEN, Tebow is SCHEDULED to work out for the bills. During his stay here, Jim finds it would be a nice gesture to take the kid out to dinner, talk some Football, and give him some tips. Suddenly, Jim is "whooing" our first round draft choice.

See the theme here??? It's the off-season, so when in Rome..... <_<

You hit the nail right on the head here bro. The media puts guys in situations like this then spins it any way they see fit to stir up some drama. Much of the sports media has switched from reporting news to creating news.

That scout sounds like he has little man's syndrome. Calling a Hall of Fame QB a "Clown" reeks of jealousy. Jimbo might not be the most astute evaluator of talent, but i think he has the credibility to at least comment on the situation.

That scout sounds like he has little man's syndrome. Calling a Hall of Fame QB a "Clown" reeks of jealousy. Jimbo might not be the most astute evaluator of talent, but i think he has the credibility to at least comment on the situation.

Could'nt agree more '5 wide' Florio could'nt hold Kelly's jock !

i so agree with that. kelly has never stated he wants to be or act like a scout . just gave his opinion. hell we do that all the time....lol.

Ill take a HOF QBs opinion on a kid long before I take Florio up on his. Hell, Id take a HOF QBs opinion on a college QB long before any of the Bills scouts. Are you are gonna try and tell me Kelly doesnt know what good footwork is and how to read a defense? Gimme a break - Kelly knows football.

PS I would never take Jerry Rices opinion on a WR :thumbsup:

Let me add my 2 cents about Jim Kelly and his reviews or whoooings of players, mainly Qb's. All Jim has ever wanted to do is win, in Buffalo he has become accustomed with it. I have seen him voice thoughts on 3 QB's as of recent: Losman, Edwards, and now Tebow. He never liked Losman, liked Edwards, and now is courting Tebow. Jim has an eye for the talent of that position, and again what he is stating is true. No Tebow at #9, late 1st-early 2nd. I think Edwards would have panned out if they had drafted good OL, and no other QB's will until they do. What I am basically saying is Jim is just looking out for the clubs future and should be left alone. He is merely stating thoughts or opinions as we do. Like me, he just wants to see Buffalo a winner again.

I'll switch jobs with that scout anytime. Shhhhhhhhit ! Stevie Wonder could do a better job than what they're doing.

And I kinda like that cup of stfu that Darth is ranting about. As usual Darth, right to the point and humorous as well.

Link

Jim Kelly can say whatever he wants. He's the man and I think will help keep the team here where it belongs.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

+1

i so agree with that. kelly has never stated he wants to be or act like a scout . just gave his opinion. hell we do that all the time....lol.

I agree and when it comes to QB's I think he may know a little more than a scout about what you need to be a successful QB for the the Buffalo Bills