The Eagles reveal that it will take at least a top 42 pick

If all it would take is our second round pick to get McNabb, the trade should be done already.

I would drop everything to send them the 41st pick! This whole season is a complete waste without a QB. They can still draft a left tackle in the first, and even the "draft a 3rd round Qb"or "draft a QB next year" people are happy.

McNabb would make this team good enough that we would be able to evaluate the true needs of this team because they will be playing with an actual chance of winning, instead of going through the motions for the last 9 or 10 weeks of the season.

With a improved team, the Bills would be a much more desirable destination for any Free Agents in the future too.

I can't sit through this offense with the same QB's as last year, I don't care if we have the best left tackle in the league, it would still suck.

I would drop everything to send them the 41st pick! This whole season is a complete waste without a QB. They can still draft a left tackle in the first, and even the "draft a 3rd round Qb"or "draft a QB next year" people are happy.

McNabb would make this team good enough that we would be able to evaluate the true needs of this team because they will be playing with an actual chance of winning, instead of going through the motions for the last 9 or 10 weeks of the season.

With a improved team, the Bills would be a much more desirable destination for any Free Agents in the future too.

I can't sit through this offense with the same QB's as last year, I don't care if we have the best left tackle in the league, it would still suck.

Amen to this post. Those against McNabb, let me ask you this: So, you want to keep the draft pick(s) and build the team for the future? How's that been working for you the last freakin' 10 years???? We've been "building for the future" with no success for the last 10 yrs!!! McNabb IMMEDIATELY makes this team better. He has to. Our current QBs are essentially career back ups.

Forget Mcnabb, In one year we will have a shot at Looker. Get the OT this year & QB next . This is a building process.

You want to bank on getting Locker next year?

Easier said than done, especially after the offense explodes with a 1st round rookie left tackle blocking for Trent "I just needed a 1st round, rookie left-tackle for my career to skyrocket" Edwards (we might have 10 wins and draft 20th, THEN WHAT?).

It's not going to be the same offense as last year genius, so you can step away from the ledge and put the gun down. And if we end up winning 2 more games thanks to Donny, we can kiss our high draft pick(Jake Locker) goodbye. Either we sign him for a long term, or we pass.

I agree with most of this post, but why be so quick to give up our 2nd rounder? The Eagles have to get rid of McNabb now. McNabb also has no incentive to sign an extension with the team he is traded too, especially with us or the Raiders. Rent him for a year for a 2011 conditional 3rd rounder that could climb to a 2nd or 1st rounder if we make the Super Bowl.

I wonder if the Eagles would take a 2nd next year, and a 4th to get it done

Think about this for a second. McNabb should have atleast 4 years left in the tank. He is the best QB option we have by far, and that's even if were able to draft Bradford or Locker next year. Those guys wouldn't be really ready for alteast 2 years.

You give us a legit QB, the Bills hit on their first 3 picks with starters...walking away with a starting LT, DT, and LB. The Bills are immediately contenders in the East. Gaily can still get his WR, HB, whatever depth he wants later.

Seriously, I would easily add a 4th to the deal if the Eagles would take the picks from next year. That would give us 3 years to find the right QB, not rush it, and be competitive in the mean time.

And for everyone who isn't a McNabb fan. Show me someone proven that's better and available. Don't give me this, Whitehurst crap or someone else you think can be good. McNabb can get his team to the playoffs. We haven't been their in a decade. The Philly fans are just like Bills fans were with Kelly...spoiled. Everyone was pushing him out for his interceptions in the playoffs, but we get rid of him and then what? We've been begging for him back ever since. I can't wait to see what Philly fans do when Kolb doesn't get them to playoffs.

Give them the picks and then some next year, promised McNabb a extra nice contract so he wants to come here. We have the money, we have the need. Just do it.

:doh:

Nobody could have said it better!

Good job Virgil! :blink:

When is the last time we picked a second rounder that is more valuable than McNabb is now???? For that matter when is the last time we picked a 1st rounder that is? A second rounder for a starting quaterback of that level is totally a no brainer.

So what's the use in drafting? Let's go the Charlie Casserly route and trade all our first round picks away since we'll ultimately just squander them. Past failures shouldn't set yourself up for future failures.

I'd do it...still pick up a stud OT in the first and Linval Joseph in the 3rd...doing this will of course put immense pressure on Maybin turning into a stand out OLB though...so it's a huge risk...one we dont HAVE to take, but I'd do it...I like D Mack...now I'd rather see Vick come to town though...I think he's got more left in the tank and would fit a Gailey Offense better...

I wonder if the Eagles would take a 2nd next year, and a 4th to get it done

Think about this for a second. McNabb should have atleast 4 years left in the tank. He is the best QB option we have by far, and that's even if were able to draft Bradford or Locker next year. Those guys wouldn't be really ready for alteast 2 years.

You give us a legit QB, the Bills hit on their first 3 picks with starters...walking away with a starting LT, DT, and LB. The Bills are immediately contenders in the East. Gaily can still get his WR, HB, whatever depth he wants later.

Seriously, I would easily add a 4th to the deal if the Eagles would take the picks from next year. That would give us 3 years to find the right QB, not rush it, and be competitive in the mean time.

And for everyone who isn't a McNabb fan. Show me someone proven that's better and available. Don't give me this, Whitehurst crap or someone else you think can be good. McNabb can get his team to the playoffs. We haven't been their in a decade. The Philly fans are just like Bills fans were with Kelly...spoiled. Everyone was pushing him out for his interceptions in the playoffs, but we get rid of him and then what? We've been begging for him back ever since. I can't wait to see what Philly fans do when Kolb doesn't get them to playoffs.

Give them the picks and then some next year, promised McNabb a extra nice contract so he wants to come here. We have the money, we have the need. Just do it.

No they are not a contender. They would sell some tickets though. McNabb would be this years T.0. At the most they win 5-6 games just enough to put them out of the running for the best two QB's in next years draft. This team is more than one successful off season from being relevant in the nfl.

Hey, I liked the offense with Bledsoe in there. We scored points.

What I didn't like was our inept coaching who couldn't make changes. We rocked for the first half, then the rest of the NFL made adjustments, like good teams are supposed to, and shut us down.

I've always believed that good coaches know how to do two things: Make halftime adjustments and make half-season adjustments. The NFL is smarter than most think. How many times do you see teams try the same thing game in and game out only to see their success fizzle. Ask last years Denver D.

This is all provided that he would sign an extension with us......

I WOULD trade our 2nd round pick for him......

- Draft Bulaga with the 1st rounder..........Bell backs him up

- Bring back Kendall Simmons.....from guard to guard I think we are going to be ok....we fixed these areas in LAST years draft. This by the way is something nobody is talking about......everybody says we are starting from scratch on our line but that is actually not true......Levitre was playing VERY well by seasons end. I think Wood will be back and you bring back Kendall Simmons for insurance. Hangarter starts another year at center.........

- I think we have guys who can fight it out for the RT spot but you also use a 1st day pick on another tackle

So maybe draft day looks like this?

1 - Bulaga

2 - traded for Donavan McNabb

3 - Cam Thomas

4 - RT

5 - Best player available

6 - Same

7 - Same

You keep our practice squad GB quarterback to groom

I would do this......we lost TO but we have a excellent pass catching TE in Shawn Nelson.......you have Lee Evans.....running game is solid........

Personally, I don't think the Bills should trade for McNabb, but it they did, if they could trade their 2nd rounder next year and trade their 4th rounder this year, like someone mentioned, I would be all for this.

With our 1st pick, however, I would try to help McNabb out and get him an offensive weapon by selecting either Dez Bryant or Spiller. Remember last year, McNabb pleaded with the Eagles FO to surround him with more weapons. They then drafted Maclin and Lasean McCoy. AFAIK, the 2 safest picks in the entire draft are Bryant and Spiller.

With our next 2 picks, I would select OT/DT or vice versa. I think Sergio Kindle would still be there in the 2nd round.

Of course the Eagles will take the 41st pick for McNabb. They know he is washed up. The guy has taken a beating over the last few years. This would be just the kind of stupid move the Bills would make. They have done it so many times over the last decade. DON'T DO THE SAME STUPID THING AGAIN!!!!! It doesn't work. The Bills are the example that proves it doesn't work. I thought they were going to build through the draft. How does giving up a potential long-term starter at a position of need for a washed up QB with nothing left in the tank help the team build? It doesn't. If they trade for McNabb, you know what the difference will be? 5 wins instead of 3. :blink:

I mean really? A proven starting QB or guys that may or may not work out? Even if these guys became the best at their position, how well did Haynesworth do for the Skins last year. How amazing was the 49ers with Patrick Willis.

We are talking QB here. Atleast 50% of our offense. We haven't had a qb in a decade. I'm tired of this drafting and hoping things work out at QB. We have failed at it way too many times

Terrance Cody must be the most overrated player on this board this year. I'm shocked at how many people are eager to snag him in the 2nd round like it would be a steal or something. Taking Cody with the 41st pick would be a humongous reach. If Cody couldn't keep himself in shape leading up to the Combine (the time when players are doing everything they can do to impress the NFL brass) what makes anybody think he'll take conditioning seriously once he gets paid. I wouldn't be comfortable gambling on an unmotivated, out of shape guy like Cody until at least the 3rd round, and that would still be reaching.

370 lbs. and soft has hell, we're talking very little muscle. He's got potential, but he really needs to shed another 20lbs. and hit the weights.

Of course the Eagles will take the 41st pick for McNabb. They know he is washed up. The guy has taken a beating over the last few years. This would be just the kind of stupid move the Bills would make. They have done it so many times over the last decade. DON'T DO THE SAME STUPID THING AGAIN!!!!! It doesn't work. The Bills are the example that proves it doesn't work. I thought they were going to build through the draft. How does giving up a potential long-term starter at a position of need for a washed up QB with nothing left in the tank help the team build? It doesn't. If they trade for McNabb, you know what the difference will be? 5 wins instead of 3. :blink:

A washed up qb who just had the 5th highest scoring offense in the league and 11th in yards. A qb who over the past 4 years, has not had an offense finish ranked lower than 17th in points or 11th in yards. Damn if that's "Washed up" how on earth would you describe the Bills.

The 41st pick is a steep price, but McNabb is an intriguing fit. Probably can't count on him to play all 16 games anymore, but is still leaps and bounds over what the Bills currently have. I just don't think McNabb would ever sign an extended deal to play here, so giving up a 2nd for one year makes no sense. Arizona seems the logical place; No matter what the Wiz says, I know he can't have any faith in "Hottub" Leinart.

It's not going to be the same offense as last year genius, so you can step away from the ledge and put the gun down. And if we end up winning 2 more games thanks to Donny, we can kiss our high draft pick(Jake Locker) goodbye. Either we sign him for a long term, or we pass.

Really? So you're basically saying that it was the offensive system that sucked and Chan Gailey and the boys would have had a way more successful offense with the same tools?

Do you believe that with a new left tackle and the same QB's it's gonna be significantly better this season?

Of course he would have to sign a longer deal, or some other kind of arrangement worked out.

Our bottom line might very well be the second round pick. We get an offensive tackle in the first round and a good gaurd or center in the third, Wood heals nicely, Levitre comes back, and we just have to find a good starting offensive right gaurd (Cut me a break those who think MR PENALTY who was such a great star for Oakland -even THEY-were happy to see him gone-is going to be the answer at right tackle). and we have the makings of a very good offense. Evans is excellent, Hardy will have to step up and we have the making of a good running attack. The third receiver and tight end situation is a huge question mark. I guess we could actually create a quality offense this year. I was listening to Mike Lombardi on the NFL network yesterday and he commented that he thought Buffalo was a little slow on the draw in this negotiation. Ya think?

I think a lower round pick and/or a free safety or Schobel might be doable, but I don't think McNabb will be agreeable unless he has assurances that we will fix the offensive line.

I would have no problem whatsoever if they gave up their 2nd round pick for McNabb PROVIDED he agrees to a two year extension. That way we could draft the franchise LT we need badly this year, address another glaring need next year with our top pick and manuever to get a top college QB on the last year of McNabb's contract to sit behind him for a year. If we can solidify the QB position for the next 3 years, that would be huge, and enable us to address the O-Line, D-Line, Wide Receiver and the many other holes we have.

A few other thoughts on McNabb:

He's played in a great offense his whole career. People always talk about his lack of weapons, but any time he's been hurt whoever steps in gets it done (Garcia, A.J. Feeley).

IF it's true that he's unwilling to sign a long term deal in Buffalo, then pass. This 3 yr rebuild is overblown. Buffalo has some weapons and is only a good QB and 2 other good offensive players away from being really good.

It would be an opportunity for him to go out as a guy who revitalized a struggling franchise rather than as the NFLs most notorious choke artist.

If he wants to come here, sign an extension, and we don't have to give away the farm to get him, I'm for it, but if he's going to be one and done and/or we have to mortgage the future to get him (Roy Williams anyone?) I'll pass.

Really? So you're basically saying that it was the offensive system that sucked and Chan Gailey and the boys would have had a way more successful offense with the same tools?

Do you believe that with a new left tackle and the same QB's it's gonna be significantly better this season?

Of course he would have to sign a longer deal, or some other kind of arrangement worked out.

Yeah I don't know if you recall or not but we implemented a no huddle offense in training camp, then procceded to fire the man who designed it. We let our qb coach run the offense which according to opposing defenses was pop warner-esque. No motion, no traps or pulls and very predictable. So yeah, with a new LT, a wr who can catch a pass, a stud TE who will be in his second season, and someone who can design plays to take advantage of the little offensive talent we have, i have no doubt that the offense will look NOTHING like it did last year. :thumbsup:

I was listening to Mike Lombardi on the NFL network yesterday and he commented that he thought Buffalo was a little slow on the draw in this negotiation. Ya think?

That's a dumb statement on Lombardi's part. Not only does he not know the timing of any Bills inquiry, but the Eagles are in a situation where they ARE taking their time and evaluating all offers. Timing has nothing to do with the final outcome here.

This is just a hunch on my part but I happen to think Lombardi has an ax to grind when it comes to the Bills. I think he wanted back in the GM game and was ticked that he never got a sniff from the Bills.

McNabb is an old-man QB. Yes, he was good in his prime and yeah he's still better than Trent, Fitz or Brohm.

BUT, I would not even remotely consider trading the Bills' 2nd for a 34 y.o. QB. IF this team was just a QB away from

being a serious playoff contender (like the Jets were before last year), then I'd consider it. The reality is that this

is a very young team that is completely changing their defensive scheme and has MANY personnel holes to fill with

an all new coaching staff to boot.

They need to fill OLT, ORT (I know Green is the stop-gap), NT, at least one LB position, a WR, hope that Wood comes back

100% and also find a QB. Trading a high draft pick for an old QB means not addressing one of those need positions

early in the draft and also, by the time the Bills are able to fill in those gaps, McNabb will be retiring (or at least way

on the downside of his career).

If the Bills make a trade like that, who would McNabb throw to? They have Lee Evans and who else? How would McNabb

look throwing behind the seive-like OL that the Bills have?

I don't like the idea.

Now, if they'd take Whitner and a late pick for McNabb, I'd consider it.

Yeah I don't know if you recall or not but we implemented a no huddle offense in training camp, then procceded to fire the man who designed it. We let our qb coach run the offense which according to opposing defenses was pop warner-esque. No motion, no traps or pulls and very predictable. So yeah, with a new LT, a wr who can catch a pass, a stud TE who will be in his second season, and someone who can design plays to take advantage of the little offensive talent we have, i have no doubt that the offense will look NOTHING like it did last year. :thumbsup:

Get real man, this offense has sucked season after season, well before last season's suck. I guess it will be a different kind of suck, and you can call that different and give it a big :( , but to me it's the same. Painfully bad.

The offensive woes of this team for the past 5 years have been predicated on a head coach who was defensive minded and had no feel for how an offense should dictate the play of a game. 3 offensive coordinators could not overcome his d drafting and his thought that as long as we keep it close we can find a way to win. Garbage! You need to dictate play and take shots. Something that Dick couldn't or wouldn't do.

The biggest thing, in my opinion, to this whole McNabb deal that no one is talking about is next season. Yeah with enough money we could get Donny to do just about anything. He might have 2 or 3 good years left in him, but he will probably want a longterm deal, 5 at least. With no guarantee if there will even be football next year, we would be getting ONE good year out of him and paying him for 5. A second rounder, after 2 years of development could end up being so much more of a sure thing.

The biggest thing, in my opinion, to this whole McNabb deal that no one is talking about is next season. Yeah with enough money we could get Donny to do just about anything. He might have 2 or 3 good years left in him, but he will probably want a longterm deal, 5 at least. With no guarantee if there will even be football next year, we would be getting ONE good year out of him and paying him for 5. A second rounder, after 2 years of development could end up being so much more of a sure thing.

Fine, you don't want McNabb (he isn't coming here anyway), that's reasonable. But don't tell me that the offense is gonna be good with any of the current Qb's. It's not the scheme (bad), or the coaches (bad), it's the line and MOSTLY the Qb's. I know the Bills are gonna suck at least for a few more years, but for me, I wouldn't care if they fielded a college defense for awhile, as long as they were scoring, because their games are just BOOORRRINGGGGG! And that is their worst crime against the fans.

I know many disagree, but I would rather watch them lose 42-35, and think "well, they need to get some guys on the defense", than sit through these 3 and out, field goal festivals. It's the opposite of entertainment.

Just remember, if and when we do pick this "Quarterback of the future," do you want him playing alongside and learning from the three most average quarterbacks of this decade (Edwards, Fitz, Brohm)? That being said, we need a veteran QB to lead this team, not only for the sake of actual leadership for the team in which we lack, but for the sake of developing a new prospect-type QB (Tebow/Braford/Clausen/etc).

Whitner chimes in according to Philly paper

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...?cmpid=15585797

And a plate of wings

Buffalo safety Donte Whitner tweeted his enthusiasm for Donovan McNabb, after the Bills were mentioned in trade reports.

"I hope D+nvan McNabb comes to us. He's great," Whitner said.

Whitner also asked his nearly 10,000 followers whether they thought McNabb would be a good fit for the Bills. Early returns were positive. Whitner also mentioned that his mother and Wilma McNabb work together in an NFL moms' group.

I would have no problem whatsoever if they gave up their 2nd round pick for McNabb PROVIDED he agrees to a two year extension. That way we could draft the franchise LT we need badly this year, address another glaring need next year with our top pick and manuever to get a top college QB on the last year of McNabb's contract to sit behind him for a year. If we can solidify the QB position for the next 3 years, that would be huge, and enable us to address the O-Line, D-Line, Wide Receiver and the many other holes we have.

One thing that seems to be confusing everyone is this issue of McNabb signing a longterm contract - I have seen this at TBD and at various sports reporting outlets (such as ESPN.com).

McNabb has no no-trade clause. That was reported inaccurately so put that to rest

As to the extended contract, McNabb is risking a huge amount of money if he refuses to negotiate a new deal this year. If there is a strike next year, as far as I know he would keep any bonus money he would get this year (makes sense). But if he plays out his old contract he would get the May 1st bonus and his 2010 salary but that would certainly be considerably less than he would get this year with a new contract (upfront/bonus money). If there is indeed a strike in 2011, he loses out. Meanwhile , the Bills can always franchise him IF there is no strike. Yes, that is a huge number but they will not have paid 2010 prices for him in 2010 (and no extra bonus money).

So, I do not understand the concerns right now over the issue of an extension especially with the strike looming.

Is he worth a 2nd round pick IMO? I would say yes but his price may be dropping - perhaps to a 3rd and a conditional pick in 2011.

my 2 cents

RichNJoIsy