Jim Kelly's first game

major

Jim Kelly's first game in Buffalo was amazing. The crowd was pumped and Kelly delivered. Even in his first game, we knew we had something special Seriously, the only other QB in Buffalo that had the "it" factor since Kelly was Doug Flutie.

I am ready for a QB to come into Buffalo with that same "it" factor that Kelly showed in his first performance.

Jim Kelly's first game in Buffalo was amazing. The crowd was pumped and Kelly delivered. Even in his first game, we knew we had something special Seriously, the only other QB in Buffalo that had the "it" factor since Kelly was Doug Flutie.

I am ready for a QB to come into Buffalo with that same "it" factor that Kelly showed in his first performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvi_jcy9A1I...feature=related

I was at that game and the atmosphere was amazing. Just a sign of great things to come.

The Bills need an influential leader like that again. You could see from the moment Kelly came out of the tunnel during the introductions, that, that was his team.

I completely disagree on the Flutie "it" thing but the "it" is what this team needs.

Couldn't watch the video at work, but I remember it fondly. A 1yd. pass to Bell, the birth of Kelly to Reed and the fall down/get up/roll right/ toss to Metz.

My Dad and I got in an arguement a couple weeks earlier when the USFL folded.

Dad: "Did you hear what he wants?!? $8 miilion!! No one's worth that kind of money"

Me: "Pay him!! He'll bring us to the promised land!"

Turns out, he was a bargain!

I live in florida and watched alot of Gator games. I am tellin y'all that Tim Tebow has it. Two national titles and a heisman trophey speak for themselves. IF he still on the board late 1st or early second trade up and get him. He the leader that the Bills need.

If you think Maybin was a reach, wait until we waste a top ten pick on Tebow.

THE "KELLY MOMENT " that sticks in my head is when the crowd realized that the BILLS were playing the no

huddle ,there wasnt one person sitting from that second till the end of the game ,,,,,,,,and it was only the first

QUARTER!!! no one sat down much for the next several years ,,

It was the USFL...WFL was in the 70's. Anyway he played two spectacular seasons with the Houston Gamblers before coming to the Bills in 86.

Those two seasons running the Run and Shoot offense with Mouse Davis can't be over-emphasized in terms of what it did for Kelly's development. He really learned how to read defenses and by the time Marchibroda got him it was just a question of polishing the rough edges.

I'm not convinced Kelly becomes the QB he became if he had signed with the Bills in '83.

GO BILLS!!!

Those two seasons running the Run and Shoot offense with Mouse Davis can't be over-emphasized in terms of what it did for Kelly's development. He really learned how to read defenses and by the time Marchibroda got him it was just a question of polishing the rough edges.

I'm not convinced Kelly becomes the QB he became if he had signed with the Bills in '83.

GO BILLS!!!

Can't agree enough. The Run and Shoot developed his decision-making skills, and playing on an expansion team solidified his leadership skills.

If he had gone to a veteren team where he sat for a year or two, and was constantly taught to play it safe, don't blow it, and let the rest of the team win the game, who knows how he would have turned out?

THE "KELLY MOMENT " that sticks in my head is when the crowd realized that the BILLS were playing the no

huddle ,there wasnt one person sitting from that second till the end of the game ,,,,,,,,and it was only the first

QUARTER!!! no one sat down much for the next several years ,,

'90 Opener vs. Colts and rookie QB Jeff George. Actually, an extension from the previous years' playoff loss @ Cleveland.

You're right. My seat became a table for my beer and gear for the next 4 years. :wallbash:

amazing how most bills fans just continue to live in the past, like most b lo's in general... wishing and hoping they could turn back time... Ralph/the bills will be gone from WNY before anything like those teams come again (unfortunately). this is the nfl of 2010, not 1990. the bills are a doormat and will be for at least a couple more years, no matter what they do. Jets, Phins, Pats will all be very good next year. and we get to play steelers, packers, vikings, et al. prob. 4-5 wins.

I remember the cameras kept showing a sign a fan brought that said KELLY IS GOD. One of the two funniest signs ever brought to a bills game. Anyone remember what the other one was.

Well, I'm sure it's not the one you're thinking of and it really isn't that funny but I remember it because they made the fans take it down during the 1st quarter. In the '88 opener someone hung a sign that read "Bruce Smith is a man of Substance." An obvious reference to his four game suspension for substance abuse to open that season. If memory serves it was against the Vikings and Thurman served notice he was going to be a force in his rookie year despite Marve's reluctance to play rookies. Ironically, we went 4-0 during Bruce's absence only to lose our first game upon his return.

GO BILLS!!!

Well, I'm sure it's not the one you're thinking of and it really isn't that funny but I remember it because they made the fans take it down during the 1st quarter. In the '88 opener someone hung a sign that read "Bruce Smith is a man of Substance." An obvious reference to his four game suspension for substance abuse to open that season. If memory serves it was against the Vikings and Thurman served notice he was going to be a force in his rookie year despite Marve's reluctance to play rookies. Ironically, we went 4-0 during Bruce's absence only to lose our first game upon his return.

GO BILLS!!!

I was thinking 'WE'RE BAAAA-AAACK, DEAL WITH IT AMERICA" 93 AFC Championship

Kelly lost his first game. He sucked and should have been cut right there.

:w00t:

Hey, did anyone catch Marv Albert's comment about the "suspect" O-line? Hull, Wolford, Ritcher, Devlin!! These guys are all-time Bills greats! But in 1986 they were considered crappy. Something to keep in mind the next time we get the urge to pass judgement on a player after one quarter.

PTR

I was at that game and the atmosphere was amazing. Just a sign of great things to come.

The Bills need an influential leader like that again. You could see from the moment Kelly came out of the tunnel during the introductions, that, that was his team.

I completely disagree on the Flutie "it" thing but the "it" is what this team needs.

so was i. remember when Kelly's family came into the parking lot with their RVs playing were in the money with their horns it seemed to get the crowd even more fired up.now its like nothing is going on.it isn't the same any more going to the games as it used to be.

Amazing.

You sit back, and see alot of those things in place (Reed, Smith, Smerlas, Norwood, Wolford, Devlin, Metzalaars, and Hull) that would lead to the great successes they had.

But as Marv Albert said in the end, it was Kelly's presence that lifted his teammates up 4 pegs.

That is what the Bills have needed since Kelly left.

Marketing has done a great job of getting butts in the stands for the past 10 years with a sub par product, but all of it could be immediately improved with a QB.

I'm hoping that this year coming up we can begin to see the pieces of the puzzle being formed before our eyes.

Go Bills!

Amazing.

You sit back, and see alot of those things in place (Reed, Smith, Smerlas, Norwood, Wolford, Devlin, Metzalaars, and Hull) that would lead to the great successes they had.

But as Marv Albert said in the end, it was Kelly's presence that lifted his teammates up 4 pegs.

That is what the Bills have needed since Kelly left.

Marketing has done a great job of getting butts in the stands for the past 10 years with a sub par product, but all of it could be immediately improved with a QB.

I'm hoping that this year coming up we can begin to see the pieces of the puzzle being formed before our eyes.

Go Bills!

Good points all around. I would add that it's harder for younger QBs to come in and take over teams nowadays simply due to the fact you just can't jetison vets who resent his presence. The Bills got rid of several players that resented Kelly's take charge attitude. Devlin and Jones are the two I remember most. And Smerlas' days were numbered as well. Kelly's first game against the Jets he was on the sidelines in the faces of all his OLmen telling them the receivers were getting open and they needed to give him more time. He was a great leader. I'm not sure vets would take it the same way today.

GO BILLS!!!