Potential Bills owners

rpcolosi

So I'm looking at the fobres 400 richest americans and guess what I find out:

Bob Rich is worth more then these "big market" owners (and is younger then most) -

Robert Kraft (Patsies), Arte Moreno (LA Angels, MLB), Arthur Blank (Falcons), Ed DeBartolo (former 49ers owner), Bob McNair (texans), Jim Irsay (Colts), DAN SNYDER (Redskins), Jeffery Lurie (Ealges)

not to mention his brother, David Rich, is a minister worth 1.5billion who doesn't appear to be one living a "lavish" lifestyle with that kind of bank. I'm just saying...

Finally, Jeremy Jacobs and Golsiano are both in between a lot of these owners.

Bottom line - I don't understand why the media keeps saying there is no one in buffalo able to buy and keep the team here. I see right there 4 possible owners who would be willing to keep the team in the city, not to mention any other possible investors interested in keeping them here.

it be nice to see an actual journalist do an article on these men and their ties to the city and interest in keeping the team here. I am confident Jacobs, Rich and Golisano would all certainly be interested in owning the franchise, with Rich possibly being the best owner of the bunch.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/54/rich-l...ans_Rank_8.html

NO NO NO, your reading it all wrong, what your not seeing is the unprinted text that says how buffalo is a craphole that nobody wants to play in. They have no fanbase that supports the team, its a dying franchise, who are you to question the likes of Adam Schefter, or anybody at ESPN. Shame on you for conveying this filth to the board, nothing but lies and inuendo tha'ts what it is.

Really though, its good to hear there's some people in buffalo that are CAPABLE of keeping the team in town once Ralph is gone.

Bob Rich is worth more then these "big market" owners (and is younger then most) -

Robert Kraft (Patsies), Arte Moreno (LA Angels, MLB), Arthur Blank (Falcons), Ed DeBartolo (former 49ers owner), Bob McNair (texans), Jim Irsay (Colts), DAN SNYDER (Redskins), Jeffery Lurie (Ealges)

not to mention his brother, David Rich, is a minister worth 1.5billion who doesn't appear to be one living a "lavish" lifestyle with that kind of bank. I'm just saying...

Finally, Jeremy Jacobs and Golsiano are both in between a lot of these owners.

Bottom line - I don't understand why the media keeps saying there is no one in buffalo able to buy and keep the team here. I see right there 4 possible owners who would be willing to keep the team in the city, not to mention any other possible investors interested in keeping them here.

it be nice to see an actual journalist do an article on these men and their ties to the city and interest in keeping the team here. I am confident Jacobs, Rich and Golisano would all certainly be interested in owning the franchise, with Rich possibly being the best owner of the bunch.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/54/rich-l...ans_Rank_8.html

Jacobs is the best bet...he has wanted to buy an NFL team for some time, and is the current owner of the Boston Bruins. From what I have heard, he is looking to unload the Bruins, to make way for pursuing an NFL franchise. Bruins fans can't stand him ("cheap" they say!!!), but we are used to that...

The problem is that this is as much speculation as ESPN (not withstanding that ESPN *should* not be on the level of a message board, but it is) since none of these owners have expressed interest in buying the team *and* keeping it in Buffalo.

The problem is that this is as much speculation as ESPN (not withstanding that ESPN *should* not be on the level of a message board, but it is) since none of these owners have expressed interest in buying the team *and* keeping it in Buffalo.

thats actually not correct.

Golisano is on record for saying he has personal interest in the Bills staying in WNY:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

rich I cant find anything, and the rumors about Jacobs wanting an NFL franchise have been going on for years :

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/sto.../02/story2.html

"It would be something I might be interested in. It's a great product." - Jacobs

and the whole cheap thing might change with a salary cap in place and more extensive revenue sharing then the NHL. notice how the bruins became more competitive once the NHL salaray cap was in place?

I didn't know Rich was that, uhm, rich. That's good news as I believe he is a Buffalo

backer, and even wanted a pro franchise years ago with MLB.

As for the Bills staying. My belief is Ralph isn't going to tilt the sale towards Buffalo

interests, but hopefully he won't go out of his way to exclude them. I'm becoming

jaded by the events of the last few months as to does Ralph really care about the

team. I don't really know, but his actions suggest he is trying to squeeze every

penny out of this team prior to his selling (trying not to be PI).

I don't really want to pin my hopes on statements made by Jim Kelly, but I can't

believe someone like him would say the things he does about an ownership group

like he does, unless he had options. He understands the importance of the team

to many WNY'ers, so I hope he has a group in place, not just a pipe dream of his.

I didn't know Rich was that, uhm, rich. That's good news as I believe he is a Buffalo

backer, and even wanted a pro franchise years ago with MLB.

As for the Bills staying. My belief is Ralph isn't going to tilt the sale towards Buffalo

interests, but hopefully he won't go out of his way to exclude them. I'm becoming

jaded by the events of the last few months as to does Ralph really care about the

team. I don't really know, but his actions suggest he is trying to squeeze every

penny out of this team prior to his selling (trying not to be PI).

I don't really want to pin my hopes on statements made by Jim Kelly, but I can't

believe someone like him would say the things he does about an ownership group

like he does, unless he had options. He understands the importance of the team

to many WNY'ers, so I hope he has a group in place, not just a pipe dream of his.

yea the rich family is quite wealthy.

the only problem wiht your logic of him "squeezing pennies" is that it absoluteyl does him no good. none. if he actually cared about being loaded and having millions of dollars, he'd sell the team while he was alive and spend the money. he is not doing that. though im sure money plays a role in how he runs the team, it si important to realize he is NOT independently wealthy - not like bob Rich, or Golisano or Jacobs. His value IS the bills. therefore he can not afford the luxury of a high priced coach or huge signing bonuses because he can not replenish his wealth. it comes right form his piggy bank.

im by no means saying he is poor or we should feel like he is just getting bye. but what i am saying is his lack of external revenue streams is very indicative in how he has to operate the team. again, i really do believe it will come down to the highest bidder, and hopefully that ends up being between us and toronto. if LA is out of it, it seems very plausible the NFL, especially with Goodell would be more likely to support a bid to keep the franchise in its home city if the owner is indeed wealthy enough to pay market value - which it is clear those 4 potential owners could do. I just am shocked at how Kraft, Snyder, etc act like huge big wigs when in reality their independent wealth is significantly less then WNY's 3 wealthiest persons...

and i haven't even looked beyond GOlisano in rochester. I would believe someone with Kodak, Xerox, Baush and Lomb would have similiar finances to Jacobs and Rich.

lets hope for hte LA Rams or LA Raiders... I don't think Toronto will be as likely as once thought...and lets give Ralph props - that deal has pretty much been all buffalo (financially at least, its certainly been anti-bills on the field)...

Bob Rich is worth more then these "big market" owners (and is younger then most) -...

I don't think Bob Rich has any interest in owning an NFL team. I'll never forget the "open letter" he wrote to MLB before his pitch to MLB was even decided on, back in 1990, that most likely doomed his expansion hopes. For some inexplicable reason, after spending who knows how much money trying to bring MLB baseball to Buffalo (including hiring Larry King to narrate his presentation video), Rich did a 180 on MLB with his "warning" letter to the current owners about how baseball spending was getting out of control and how MLB was heading to financial insanity, or something along those lines. (I can't find a link to that article, but I remember thinking; "why write this now, Bob, when MLB still has not decided on the two teams and Bufflao was still in the running??)

Predictably, Miami and Denver were chosen and Buffalo lost out. Of course, Rich was a true visionary, and MLB spending has gone out of control exactly as Rich predicted. That explains to me why he is as wealthy as he is, obviously he is an extremely smart businessman.

But on the same token, I'm sure he feels just as opposed to the NFL spending insanity now, as he did about what he saw MLB heading towards 20 years ago. Oh sure, NFL teams have a salary cap and all of that, but he still is a Buffalo guy, has made his fortune staying in Buffalo, and understands the Buffalo economy better then even Ralph Wilson does. So I would be really shocked to see Rich get involved with any bid for the Bills after Ralph dies. He knows a new stadium, chocked full of expensive seating and luxury suites, would be mandatory for Buffalo to continue competing with Dallas, Indy and the Giants and Jets and all the other NFL teams that have invested 5 to 10 times more into their new stadiums then our community has invested into the improvements in the Ralph.

His value IS the bills. therefore he can not afford the luxury of a high priced coach or huge signing bonuses because he can not replenish his wealth. it comes right form his piggy bank.

Of course he could! He has cleared tens of millions of dollars annually. Do you really think that those other owners are reaching into their wallets to pay team salaries??

I just am shocked at how Kraft, Snyder, etc act like huge big wigs when in reality their independent wealth is significantly less then WNY's 3 wealthiest persons...

They are NFL owners---and among the wealthiest men in America. They are acting like huge big wigs?

and i haven't even looked beyond GOlisano in rochester. I would believe someone with Kodak, Xerox, Baush and Lomb would have similiar finances to Jacobs and Rich.

Well, George Eastman, Joe Wilson and both Bausch and Lomb have been dead for many years--and their companies long ago went public, so not sure what you mean by suggesting "someone with" any of those companies would have the financial wherewithal to consider purchasing an NFL team (let alone the fact that all of those companies are now relativley minor players in Rochester and mere shells of their former selves).

The problem is, which one of them has 800 million in cash to spend, and can they get their money back if the team stays in Buffalo? My answer is none of them!

I don't argue that there is a lack of rich folks in the area, whose net worth is on par with other NFL owners. Likewise, the Bills are currently quite profitable and they have a great fan base for sure. The problem is that the Bills likely may not be profitable if an owner has to service any debt required to buy the team, not to mention any debt on a new stadium (which they will need eventually). Likewise, even if someone has the "cash" to buy the Bills outright, he's still essentially loaning himself the money to buy the team and losing possible interest on that cash so it's the same thing as debt interest.

I'm not one of these doom and gloom Bills fans who thinks all hope is lost, but we have to remember that the profitability of the team while Ralph owns it free and clear could be quite different from the teams profitability when someone has to pony up the better part of 1 billion dollars for the team. Just my thoughts....

Yeah but at the same time....who in America right now has 900 million for the team, 850 million for a new stadium and close to a billion for relocating fees associated with moving a team?? Somebody will save the Bills, because of what they mean to the area...just like Galisano saved the sabres...Im sure very few of us knew who he was until he did!

I don't think Bob Rich has any interest in owning an NFL team. I'll never forget the "open letter" he wrote to MLB before his pitch to MLB was even decided on, back in 1990, that most likely doomed his expansion hopes. For some inexplicable reason, after spending who knows how much money trying to bring MLB baseball to Buffalo (including hiring Larry King to narrate his presentation video), Rich did a 180 on MLB with his "warning" letter to the current owners about how baseball spending was getting out of control and how MLB was heading to financial insanity, or something along those lines. (I can't find a link to that article, but I remember thinking; "why write this now, Bob, when MLB still has not decided on the two teams and Bufflao was still in the running??)

Predictably, Miami and Denver were chosen and Buffalo lost out. Of course, Rich was a true visionary, and MLB spending has gone out of control exactly as Rich predicted. That explains to me why he is as wealthy as he is, obviously he is an extremely smart businessman.

But on the same token, I'm sure he feels just as opposed to the NFL spending insanity now, as he did about what he saw MLB heading towards 20 years ago. Oh sure, NFL teams have a salary cap and all of that, but he still is a Buffalo guy, has made his fortune staying in Buffalo, and understands the Buffalo economy better then even Ralph Wilson does. So I would be really shocked to see Rich get involved with any bid for the Bills after Ralph dies. He knows a new stadium, chocked full of expensive seating and luxury suites, would be mandatory for Buffalo to continue competing with Dallas, Indy and the Giants and Jets and all the other NFL teams that have invested 5 to 10 times more into their new stadiums then our community has invested into the improvements in the Ralph.

the NFL is better for owners than MLB. I've heard that RW clears $30M a year on the Bills; not sure about this, but think that is close to the number. He doesn't lose money and it's unlikely Rich or any of the others would either if they bought the team.

Of course there are potential local buyers. There always has been. But these guys didn't get rich by being stupid. I think buying the Bills in their current state (low ticket prices and lousy performance) would be one of the dumbest investments around. It has nothing to do with the area. It's about the team.

Ok, let's review this again.

1) Buffalo's fan base is based on an average NFL ticket price of $35. The league average is $75.

2) The Bills are valued at $914 million. Whoever buys them is not going to pay cash and will need to do a fair amount of creative financing to buy them.

3) The new buyer is not Ralph. They did not start with a $50,000 investment and make a billion dollars out of it. In other words, the new owner(s) will need to MAXimize revenues to pay off the inevitable loans that they will need to take out for the purchase.

4) The only real ways to max out revenues is to charge more for tickets, pay less for talent, and sell out wildly expensive suites. None of these are very viable options that would help keep the team in Buffalo.

5) There's no knowing for sure, but I think it's a good bet that the fan base drops at least 30% if ticket prices are raised to the NFL average and the Bills keep losing.

The key to survival is not selling out the stadium at $35 a pop. The team needs to start winning in a big way, and I dont mean one playoff game and out-type winning. I mean the AFC championship in Buffalo, and more than once in ten years kind of winning. That's what will put $75 a ticket fannies in the seats and keep the team in the area.

Of course there are potential local buyers. There always has been. But these guys didn't get rich by being stupid. I think buying the Bills in their current state (low ticket prices and lousy performance) would be one of the dumbest investments around. It has nothing to do with the area. It's about the team.

Ok, let's review this again.

1) Buffalo's fan base is based on an average NFL ticket price of $35. The league average is $75.

2) The Bills are valued at $914 million. Whoever buys them is not going to pay cash and will need to do a fair amount of creative financing to buy them.

3) The new buyer is not Ralph. They did not start with a $50,000 investment and make a billion dollars out of it. In other words, the new owner(s) will need to MAXimize revenues to pay off the inevitable loans that they will need to take out for the purchase.

4) The only real ways to max out revenues is to charge more for tickets, pay less for talent, and sell out wildly expensive suites. None of these are very viable options that would help keep the team in Buffalo.

5) There's no knowing for sure, but I think it's a good bet that the fan base drops at least 30% if ticket prices are raised to the NFL average and the Bills keep losing.

The key to survival is not selling out the stadium at $35 a pop. The team needs to start winning in a big way, and I dont mean one playoff game and out-type winning. I mean the AFC championship in Buffalo, and more than once in ten years kind of winning. That's what will put $75 a ticket fannies in the seats and keep the team in the area.

The Average Bills ticket is $51.00

If you think the key to keeping a healthy franchise is ticket revenue, then you are highly mistaken. Gameday at the Ralph is like a tradeshow for a major corporation. Merchandising, Licensing, and advertising partnerships coupled with television revenue and other ancillary revenue sources are the lifeblood for these teams. Not charging 72,000 people $10 more at the gate

No question profit and loss are major drivers behind business decisions. No profit = no business, so its essential for a business to be profitable to expand and grow, continue to employ people, and service their customers. But NFL football is more than an entertainment business. There's another aspect to this beyond the dollars and cents analysis.

There is also an emotional component at play. Ego. To someone with a large ego, a high net worth, and a high opinion of themselves, running with the big dogs so to speak, winning in the NFL tranlates to boosting their personal success above that of their multi-millionaire and billionaire friends and associates.

Do we actually believe Snyder bought the Redskins to make money or to acquire a rich man's 'toy'? I'm guessing a guy like Snyder given the choice of making a $100 million next season or losing $20 million but winning the Super Bowl will choose the later.

I heard rumor that a member of Jim Kelly's investor group was Donald Trump. Personally, I think Trump is a shameless self-promotor. On the other hand, as a Bill's fan I'd welcome a guy like that at the top. Somebody who would make winning the highest priority.

Seasons in the Rockpile work out to $30/game

http://www.channel1media.com/bills/seatviews/

So how does that make the "average" ticket $35 for 70,000 tickets? After looking at that page, I would have to say that the "average" ticket is more likely around $50-55 or so

No question profit and loss are major drivers behind business decisions. No profit = no business, so its essential for a business to be profitable to expand and grow, continue to employ people, and service their customers. But NFL football is more than an entertainment business. There's another aspect to this beyond the dollars and cents analysis.

There is also an emotional component at play. Ego. To someone with a large ego, a high net worth, and a high opinion of themselves, running with the big dogs so to speak, winning in the NFL tranlates to boosting their personal success above that of their multi-millionaire and billionaire friends and associates.

Do we actually believe Snyder bought the Redskins to make money or to acquire a rich man's 'toy'? I'm guessing a guy like Snyder given the choice of making a $100 million next season or losing $20 million but winning the Super Bowl will choose the later.

I heard rumor that a member of Jim Kelly's investor group was Donald Trump. Personally, I think Trump is a shameless self-promotor. On the other hand, as a Bill's fan I'd welcome a guy like that at the top. Somebody who would make winning the highest priority.

wow I have never heard who was "potentially" involved with the Kelly consortium. I would love for Trump to be involved. He and Kelly have USFL history together. Trump's ego would love NFL stage but is Buffalo right market for Trump?? maybe, I guess? Kelly would need to ensure that Trump doesn't want to relocate team to Vegas or somewhere more casino friendly, though.

I would feel secure with Trump if Kelly was heavily involved. Maybe RB could be his next apprentice?

Yeah but at the same time....who in America right now has 900 million for the team, 850 million for a new stadium and close to a billion for relocating fees associated with moving a team?? Somebody will save the Bills, because of what they mean to the area...just like Galisano saved the sabres...Im sure very few of us knew who he was until he did!

Where the heck did you pull that number from? A billion just to relocate a team? :thumbsup:

But the point of the debt load argument is fairly simple. Do you make more money (which makes it faster, easier, and indeed even possible to pay off your debt) in a big market town with higher ticket prices along with more and bigger companies to pay big bucks for luxury boxes, or a blue collar town with very little big business but a very rabid and loyal, though largely poor (according to the census), fan base? The answer is obvious.

What Bills fans need is a White Knight who can afford to sacrifice profitability to keep the Bills in Buffalo. And even if such a Knight existed, the other NFL owners have a big say in the matter so even that isn't a guarantee.

Remember too, that when Golisano was the White Knight for the Sabres, I believe he paid less than 100 million for the team (92 if google is correct ). That's a far cry from almost 900 million the Bills are estimated to be sold for.

The better question is how do I make the near Billion dollars I will need to buy the Bills, all before Ralph passes. ANy ideas?

Play every lottery game out there.

You got your head up your butt, pal. Do a little recalculating and come back

I don't need to recalculate, the site says $30/game when you buy seasons.

Your right about this. There is still a lot of money in WNY. Goliasano, the Rich's, Wegman's Family etc.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned another fellow who is both connected to Buffalo and able to buy the Bills with pocket change: Warren Buffett.

The close to $1B fee to move the team applies to the fee a team would have to pay to move an existing team to say Toronto.....so for those scared of the Bills moving to Toronoto do the math....$800M (Rams are going for 7-800M), at least $1B in downtonwn Toronto to build a stadium they want and then 600-800M for the relocation fee if it was the Bills. That makes it impossible to turn a profit when you are talking about $3B roughly to buy a team and move it to Toronto....the best thing for the Bills was TO not getting the Olympics so they would not have a stadium. You have to remember the exchange rate but that is negligible now it may go back down again.

The Bills ARE staying in Buffalo people, they are not moving. Another person nobody has brought up is Howard Milstein who went to school in upstate NY at Cornell and owns 100 acres+ n Niagara Falls and it is J Kelly's former agent who is the point man there for him for the NF property.......he and father on that list at $3.8B. Also, Milstein tried to buy the Redskins about 10 years ago so we know he is interested in the NFL!

I've got it on good authority that SKOOBY will be the next Bills owner. He'll likely sell a few of his cars to liquidate the cash needed to purchase the franchise.

don't know the board's history - who is this Scooby cat? he has been referenced a lot. thanks

Of course there are potential local buyers. There always has been. But these guys didn't get rich by being stupid. I think

You are right on target that the key to survival and the key to making profits as an NFL owner is the same as it is for any business. The saying is that the customer is always right. One would need to be a fool to think that businesses do whatever the customer says bur profitable businesses identify customers needs and satisfy them. Often this done with commercials which convince some market segment that they had a "need" they did not know they had.

The bottomline for the NFL is to identify the market you can get, get as much of its money as you can and then expand the market.

Many of the folks who do a lot of ranting about the Bills must leave because it is a small market actually seem to fail in understanding what actually is the market that delivers the bucks to the owners. The local market is important as it delivers a significant chunk of change, However, the local market simply pales in size compared to the TV market which delivers the lionshare by a long shot of money to NFL owners.

Why is there no team in one of the largest markets in the country, LA? This is in part because the real money which drives the NFL as a business in the billions of dollars which the TV networks deliver to the NFL to be divided among team owners each year.

This is why when Gene Upshaw dictated to the owners that under the new CBA the total gross receipts needed to be the pie for the salary cap and that the players take needed to start with a 6, that the owners rolled over and took the deal (voting down badly an old stick in the mud like Mr. Ralph) to take a deal which guaranteed the plays 60.5% of the total gross. This was because with labor peace and a more guaranteed provision of TV shows to sell beer, cars and soap around the networks were happy to deliver billions to the owners. 39.5% of a bunch of money is worth more than 55% of a little money. The owners were good businessmen and took the deal.

As far as moving the Bills, yep it could happen. However, I think it is quite doubtful the market and the money will make it worthwhile to do. True some new owner may get a marginally higher return in a different city. However, there likely would be a lot of grief and risk involved with such a move. The take for an individual NFL owner is gonna be his 1/31st pf the transfer fee and particularly after the division its not gonna be much and actually only marginally higher than a transfer fee from new owners even if the team does not relocate.

In addition to that, the NFL seems to have a clear desire to do what any business does which is to expand their market. Getting eyeballs in Europe, Mexico, Tokyo and elsewhere has the likely potential to make the current owners a ton more $ than simply moving the team. Add to this all the pitful picture of abandoned Buffalo fans which will be the NFLs main commercial for years right at the time they are trying to excite foreign municipalities to buy and support teams can be done but moving the team makes it harder.

Also add to that the Bills actually have more value to the NFL moving into new markets as being one of the original franchises and new owners get to join into that tradition and again moving the team hurts the NFL.

The old days where the owners were plucky individuals who took personal risks to use capitalism to build their teams is gone. We are all socialists now in the social compact reflected in the CBA. After kicking Ed Garvey and the NFLPA's butt in the mid 80s lockout the players threatened to decertify their union and force NFL owners into a true free market. The owners ran and did not run to our current social compact model simply because there is more money to made by the team owner this way.

Buffalo is a small market but the real market is eyeballs around the country and soon around the world. Whether the Bills will move or not is unlikely to happen because such a change would not deliver appreciable dollars to the owners who must decide on a move.