I've got a growing feeling that this years offseason splash

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets really look at the Bills current situation. We need an offensive left tackle (pick 1) We need a right tackle (pick 2) we need a defensive tackle (pick 3) we need a defensive end if AS retires...and probably even if he doesn't retire (pick 4). These picks a must haves. Is Tebow going to drift down into the fifth round? I don't think so. We don't have the luxury to take a flyer on the guy. Some team in the late first or early to mid second will take him.

I understand what your saying but did they cancel the free agency period.

I think you maybe right. But I would hate to use a #9 pick on a player who can't immediately contribute. But between the Gailey hire and Nix's Florida connections I wonder if they're putting things in place to design an offense around Tebow.

When our pick comes around, I hope they survey the landscape and choose the best value lineman, preferably OL, at that position. If Bradford falls that far, I'd give it a long hard look. His injury history would give me pause. If not, I'd trade down for an extra 2nd. Pick a lineman. Then use both 2nds and trade back into the 1st for Tebow, if they're crazy about him.

If not I'd go DL or LB next or hold for Pike or Tebow (if he falls that far). I personally don't think there's much to choose between the QBs after Bradford. I personally think the best value QB in this year's draft is Pike.

If they friggin' pick McCoy I'll slit my wrists...

I'd try and trade for McNabb for a 2nd or 3rd. Then use our first pick for a franchise LT.

C

If tim tebeow was considered a first round draft pick he would not be playing in the senior bowl

If he is playing in that game it means that who ever is advising him is being told that he has to do more than wht he did in college to get drafted early.

Why wont you Tebow-holics let it go?!!! He does not have an NFL QB skillset. Hes a great kid and a tremendous competetor with a strong arm, but he is a project or a situational player at best.

Sorry, but there are plenty of classy, athletic, competetive, strong armed guys in college football who didnt have the luxury of playing with "legitimate" NFL talent in front and behind him (see: Ken Dorsey, minus the strong arm). Look at Jake locker he is faster, bigger, plays in an pro-style offense but without the supporting cast he is on an average team, if Tebow played for U of Washington for the last four years no one is calling him the greatest college player of all time.

I don't want Tebow at #9. I'll say it again: I could see it happening, and I presented why I think it could.

But while we're on the subject, when will you Locker-holics shut it down? He's not even in the draft, and if he were, he would be drafted on pure speculation and potential because he hasn't done anything but lead a losing team in college. Gee whiz -- that sounds a heck of a lot like another west coast QB we've had starting on and off for a few years.

The entire landscape of the draft will start to clear up after the combine. We will find out about Bradford's shoulder and get a better idea about Tebow. I have to say the idea of Vick, Tebow, Jackson, and Lynch in the backfield with a run heavy offense and some timely passing is very intriguing.

The closer we get to the combine and draft, the more I sense momentum building amongst league personnel guys behind one Tim Tebow. I'm not even sure how this could be happening at this phase in the game because he hasn't done anything but train privately since the end of the season, so what gives?

I believe what's going on is that people have had time to step back and really digest his college career, which in turn is causing them to see the sum of his parts (leadership, maturity, unique physical tools, production, etc.) instead of regurgitating Brian Billick's arm-slot, slow-motion breakdown from the Sugar Bowl.

A strong Senior Bowl week, dozens of impressive one-on-one interviews, and the insane combine numbers this guy is inevitably going to put up will absolutely rocket the kid up some draft boards. Maybe not everyone's, but all it takes is one.

Now, let's focus on the Bills current situation: We've got an ancient, set-in-his-ways, old school owner. An ancient, good ol' boy GM, who as a scout, valued QBs with over-the-top competitive drives (Brees, Rivers) and was willing to think outside the box and draft players who didn't fit the "prototypical NFL QB" (Brees because of his height and even Rivers to a certain extent because he had a bit of an unorthodox release point coming out of college). When you throw in our good ol' boy, southern HC who believes supremely in his ability to develop QB talent, I think we are looking at a recipe for Tebow to the Bills.

Also, if you've watched ESPN today, I'm sure you've seen the numerous "Tebow updates." And that's just been for the Senior Bowl weigh-ins! He will obviously be a marketing department's dream no matter where he goes, but I think he would be particularly effective in a blue-collar region such as Western NY.

Just a hunch and my two cents.

That growing feeling must be a !@#$ing brain tumor, because you're hallucinating.

Tebow sucks ass. Mark it down. His combine numbers are going to be pedestrian, and his skill-based workouts are going to show what we all know, a non-NFL calibre arm

Yeah God forbid we get a real QB behind center. I mean its been almost 15 years since we had one....

Tebow is not a real NFL QB. The NFL is littered with the wreckage of exceptional college QB's from top programs that were all hype and stats and no talent. Jerry Tagge, Gino Torretta, Eric Crouch, etc. Tebow is just the latest edition of the species. The Bills can't afford to gamble at this point. No pick is a sure thing but this guy comes with waaaaaaay more risk than any number of players we badly need.

Tebow is not a real NFL QB. The NFL is littered with the wreckage of exceptional college QB's from top programs that were all hype and stats and no talent. Jerry Tagge, Gino Torretta, Eric Crouch, etc. Tebow is just the latest edition of the species. The Bills can't afford to gamble at this point. No pick is a sure thing but this guy comes with waaaaaaay more risk than any number of players we badly need.

Don't you guys know? Tim Tebow is DIVINE! :death:

The closer we get to the combine and draft, the more I sense momentum building amongst league personnel guys behind one Tim Tebow. I'm not even sure how this could be happening at this phase in the game because he hasn't done anything but train privately since the end of the season, so what gives?

I believe what's going on is that people have had time to step back and really digest his college career, which in turn is causing them to see the sum of his parts (leadership, maturity, unique physical tools, production, etc.) instead of regurgitating Brian Billick's arm-slot, slow-motion breakdown from the Sugar Bowl.

A strong Senior Bowl week, dozens of impressive one-on-one interviews, and the insane combine numbers this guy is inevitably going to put up will absolutely rocket the kid up some draft boards. Maybe not everyone's, but all it takes is one.

Now, let's focus on the Bills current situation: We've got an ancient, set-in-his-ways, old school owner. An ancient, good ol' boy GM, who as a scout, valued QBs with over-the-top competitive drives (Brees, Rivers) and was willing to think outside the box and draft players who didn't fit the "prototypical NFL QB" (Brees because of his height and even Rivers to a certain extent because he had a bit of an unorthodox release point coming out of college). When you throw in our good ol' boy, southern HC who believes supremely in his ability to develop QB talent, I think we are looking at a recipe for Tebow to the Bills.

Also, if you've watched ESPN today, I'm sure you've seen the numerous "Tebow updates." And that's just been for the Senior Bowl weigh-ins! He will obviously be a marketing department's dream no matter where he goes, but I think he would be particularly effective in a blue-collar region such as Western NY.

Can he play in the snow, and cold Buffalo temperatures? I wouldn't think he was exposed to too much of that even though I know they play road games. I know Trent Edwards is always far less productive in poor weather conditions and wondered what conditions Tim Tebow may have played in and how he fared???

I'm a fan of Tebow and his college career however I never thought much of him on the NFL level. That being said I've started to warm up to the idea of the Bills drafting him and this post is precisely why. The kid knows how to win, most Bills fans forget what that looks like on a player. He reminds me of Doug Flutie in Donovan McNabbs body and who wouldn't want that monster starting for their team?

Interesting

Just my opinion, but if I were the Bills' GM and inclined to trade up, it would be for someone like OT Russell Okung or DT Ndamukong Suh. I would get stronger up front FIRST before I did anything. The Jets took this approach, drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson, then Nick Mangold and adding Alan Faneca in free agency. They did not keep using high pick after high pick on skill players and leave the lines to the wolves.

Then again, maybe there's some great second round gems to be had for the lines, after we get a QB first. Oops, we said trade up for a QB, right? There goes that 2nd rounder and, depending on the target and how far you have to move to get 'em, there may go a future high pick as well.

Well, there's always the 4th round and beyond.

The Bills will never trade up in the draft because they don't want to pay more to the rookie they would get.

If anything look for the Bills to trade down this year pick up a couple extra picks.

The Bills will never trade up in the draft because they don't want to pay more to the rookie they would get.

If anything look for the Bills to trade down this year pick up a couple extra picks.

agreed, plus we need to get more "bang for the buck" so to speak, and have a few holes to fill

You forgot one point in your analysis.

Ticket sales. Good or bad, Tebow will sell tickets....ooodles of them. I believe the "noise" around Tebow this week will be deafening. If you add in outstanding combine scores this kids is going to ROCKET up the draft charts.

I'd still rather have McClain but I don't get to make the pick.

Tebow is going to Jacksonville to sell tickets for the franchise.

End of story, lets move on.

One of them will be there and if not, trade up for once.

One of them will be there? It's possible, but highly unlikely (unless Bradford isn't recovered from his injury ... would you take him then?)

Trade up? Yeah, because we don't have lots of needs. We can afford to give up the high draft picks it would take to move up.

This isn't going to be easy. I like both QBs and wouldn't oppose trading up, but that would essentially mean at least another year of being really really bad.

Trust me... there ain't a franchise QB in this draft. Aside from Braford (who is as brittle as fine chrystal), the talent out there isn't any better than what's on the Bills roster now.

Besides... If Bills bring in another young QB and his blind side isn't protected they've just screwed their investment at QB.

Bills need a lot more man at both tackles than they have now. But their greatest need is left tackle. No matter how many great skill position players they have, without competence up front, they are toast.

Clausen and Bradford both look legit. But because of that, they're unlikely to be available at #9.

Lets really look at the Bills current situation. We need an offensive left tackle (pick 1) We need a right tackle (pick 2) we need a defensive tackle (pick 3) we need a defensive end if AS retires...and probably even if he doesn't retire (pick 4). These picks a must haves. Is Tebow going to drift down into the fifth round? I don't think so. We don't have the luxury to take a flyer on the guy. Some team in the late first or early to mid second will take him.

Yup, we need all those positions. We also need a QB more than any other position.

I doubt we pick Tebow, especially at #9, but I also doubt we go four rounds without picking a QB.

If tim tebeow was considered a first round draft pick he would not be playing in the senior bowl

If he is playing in that game it means that who ever is advising him is being told that he has to do more than wht he did in college to get drafted early.

Why wont you Tebow-holics let it go?!!! He does not have an NFL QB skillset. Hes a great kid and a tremendous competetor with a strong arm, but he is a project or a situational player at best.

Sorry, but there are plenty of classy, athletic, competetive, strong armed guys in college football who didnt have the luxury of playing with "legitimate" NFL talent in front and behind him (see: Ken Dorsey, minus the strong arm). Look at Jake locker he is faster, bigger, plays in an pro-style offense but without the supporting cast he is on an average team, if Tebow played for U of Washington for the last four years no one is calling him the greatest college player of all time.

Yeah, first-rounders never go to the Senior Bowl. Like Raji, Wood and Mack last year.

Like Taylor Mays. He's at the Senior Bowl. No way he goes before the second round.

Tebow is exactly the kind of guy who benefits from going to the Senior Bowl. Nobody knows how to play him. Will he be a full-time QB? A wildcat QB? An RB or WR? Tebow benefits tremendously from having face time with NFL coaches and having them watch him in practice.

Nobody knows where he will go, some NFL GM or two excepted. And that definitely includes you.

• 2 months later...

I know there has been a crackdown on Tebow threads, but I really wanted to revisit this one. When I initially started this thread I legitimately thought there was a chance we would take this kid at #9.

Fast forward a month, after the Senior Bowl and the landslide of criticism, and I thought there was ABSOLUTELY no way we'd jump the gun and take him at #9. Call me crazy, but now I think I've come full-circle because I actually believe they are wild enough to pull the trigger.

You can literally feel his stock starting to rise again, and I just can't get away from the connections that both Chan and Buddy have to the south.

Gailey played QB for UF, graduated from UF and had his first coaching experience at UF. Hell, he's even from Gainesville! Gainesville, GA, of course.

It's all starting to come into focus. We've already signed two former Gators in Andra' Davis and Chad Jackson. I imagine they'll try to move down, but something makes me think Tebow won't make it past the Pats at #22 no matter what.

We shall see!

the panthers have one of the best OL's in the NFL, produced TWO 1100 yard rushers this year....and missed the playoffs. Why? THE QB SUCKS! So you can have a great OL, Great running game but if the QB sucks, then so does the team.

Time to get a QB in here.

Then there's the Jets...great OL and superstar QB....errr, not so much. Trent could have excelled behind the Jets line and running game. Sanchez varied from sucking to not sucking too badly and look how far the Jets went last year.

How great did Brady look on his butt after the Giants pounded him in the SuperBowl? How great did Aikman look when his line and running back were gone? Great QB's look like crap when they have no blocking and no running game. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Then there's the Jets...great OL and superstar QB....errr, not so much. Trent could have excelled behind the Jets line and running game. Sanchez varied from sucking to not sucking too badly and look how far the Jets went last year.

How great did Brady look on his butt after the Giants pounded him in the SuperBowl? How great did Aikman look when his line and running back were gone? Great QB's look like crap when they have no blocking and no running game. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Sometimes - like it or not - you have to roll the dice. It didn't work out several years ago with JP, we all know.

I seriously doubt it. I could see them trading up into the bottom of the 1st or taking him in the second round. At 9 I don't think so. Now you might be right that they make a splash at #9, but that would be one C.J. Spiller.

Warner made it to the Super Bowl with a mediocre running game and an O-line anchored by LT (Gag!!) Mike Gandy.

I think it's futile. Fortunately the FO understands the importance of an offensive line. This board seems to be overrun w/ mouth breathers who think a QB can magically repel blockers, LT is the only position on the line, or believe the fact that a few QBs have had success w/ average to slightly above average lines (and phenomenal receiving corps) means that a good QB in Buffalo could produce behind a line with 1 healthy quality starter, a guy coming off a major injury, and a few late round rookies or Raider rejects.

Not to worry. These men have no power. You'd think 10 years of neglecting the line (w/ the exception of overpaying Walker & Dockery) and losing consistently, they would learn, but sadly, no. Some people need to believe in the easy quick fix.

No QB. Repeat No QB could have been successful behind what we put in front of him last year.Not just the bad blocking and missed assignments but being outphysicaled (if thats a word) and then the false starts etc. on top of it. Realistacally we were damned fortunate to finish where we did. And kudos to the guys who were left standing at the end of the year. This year is already better than last, IMO, without a down being played.

The closer we get to the combine and draft, the more I sense momentum building amongst league personnel guys behind one Tim Tebow.

You sense momentum building among league personnel guys? Oh, Lord. How many interviews with them have you done?

What you sense building is your own hopes. And it shouldn't be that difficult to tell the difference.

You can literally feel his stock starting to rise again, and I just can't get away from the connections that both Chan and Buddy have to the south.

Again, what you feel isn't his stock rising among NFL personnel men. It's media coverage and your own hopes, neither of which correspond to actual draft stock.

How great would the Jets have looked if they hadn't been able to trade up for Sanchez. Which could easily have happened.

As it was, they gave up their first and second rounder, two starters, a DE and a S, and their third-string QB, and they were lucky to find a taker even with all that. So, it was as if we traded our first and second and Byrd, Maybin and Brohm.

Byrd is a bit more valuable than their S was, but Maybin is considerably less valuable, so it about balances out. Whitner and Maybin clearly wouldn't have gotten the trade done, before everyone screams it.

And again, they were lucky to find a taker.

How did Aikman look in his first year, when he had no offensive line? He looked crappy, but he learned and got valuable experience, and it didn't seem to hurt his career much. Nobody is saying that first we should pick a QB and then we should neglect the OL for the next five years or so. But QB is the biggest need on any team, and there's never a certainty of getting who you want unless you're lucky(?) enough to get the first draft pick. After you get your QB, you build your team around him, and that certainly includes a focus on the OL.

I think it's futile. Fortunately the FO understands the importance of an offensive line. This board seems to be overrun w/ mouth breathers who think a QB can magically repel blockers, LT is the only position on the line, or believe the fact that a few QBs have had success w/ average to slightly above average lines (and phenomenal receiving corps) means that a good QB in Buffalo could produce behind a line with 1 healthy quality starter, a guy coming off a major injury, and a few late round rookies or Raider rejects.

Not to worry. These men have no power. You'd think 10 years of neglecting the line (w/ the exception of overpaying Walker & Dockery) and losing consistently, they would learn, but sadly, no. Some people need to believe in the easy quick fix.

Wrongosaurus. We QB fanciers are aware that getting a QB at #9 won't produce a terrific team this year. It will take time to build a team around him. We are also aware that picking an LT at #9 ALSO WON'T produce a terrific team this year, that in fact, we're most likely going to be fairly crappy this year.

We just know that it is a lot harder to find a franchise QB than a franchise player at any other position.

Wrongosaurus. We QB fanciers are aware that getting a QB at #9 won't produce a terrific team this year. It will take time to build a team around him. We are also aware that picking an LT at #9 ALSO WON'T produce a terrific team this year, that in fact, we're most likely going to be fairly crappy this year.

We just know that it is a lot harder to find a franchise QB than a franchise player at any other position.

Bingo.

In addition to that,

Mediocre QB with Great O-line = mixed results and varied effectiveness

Great QB with mediocre O-line = almost always in contention

Other than Bradford and Tebow, I don't see an NFL starter in this class. Yes, Tebow has grown on me. I can't see a kid like him failing. I just hope if we do pick him, we don't throw him out there in week 1 for the dogs. Although, knowing our fanbase, that's exactly what will happen the first time Trent throws a pick. I just don't understand people calling for these mid round qb's to be picked. Unless you're sure that a qb is going to have a great shot at being your guy for years to come, why waste the pick?

Other than Bradford and Tebow, I don't see an NFL starter in this class. Yes, Tebow has grown on me. I can't see a kid like him failing. I just hope if we do pick him, we don't throw him out there in week 1 for the dogs. Although, knowing our fanbase, that's exactly what will happen the first time Trent throws a pick. I just don't understand people calling for these mid round qb's to be picked. Unless you're sure that a qb is going to have a great shot at being your guy for years to come, why waste the pick?

sorry I meant to say I hope we don't throw him out there week 1, but knowing our fanbase that's what they'll want

I know there has been a crackdown on Tebow threads, but I really wanted to revisit this one. When I initially started this thread I legitimately thought there was a chance we would take this kid at #9.

Fast forward a month, after the Senior Bowl and the landslide of criticism, and I thought there was ABSOLUTELY no way we'd jump the gun and take him at #9. Call me crazy, but now I think I've come full-circle because I actually believe they are wild enough to pull the trigger.

Gailey played QB for UF, graduated from UF and had his first coaching experience at UF. Hell, he's even from Gainesville! Gainesville, GA, of course.

It's all starting to come into focus. We've already signed two former Gators in Andra' Davis and Chad Jackson. I imagine they'll try to move down, but something makes me think Tebow won't make it past the Pats at #22 no matter what.

We shall see!

Good post, and good revisit. I agree with you. Most of the comments from NFL people suggest he's gonna go in the first.