anyone trying to cut out the amount of pop/soda they drink?

The Poojer

!@#$ing A your right. No more Red Bull in my Vodka ...... after, or when I finish this one.

Damn straight. After posting last night, I decided to go off sodas for a week, just to prove they're not addictive. I'll take my rum straight from now on...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, for one thing...i never claimed anything to be an addiction, simply talked about cutting back on something that some have a hard time cutting back on it.....second, there are some pops that have caffeine in it, and i believe caffeine does contribute to or have addictive tendencies.....and it is pretty hard to break habits as well as addictions for some people.....

I am with you, I have given up pop starting today, at least try. I walk during my lunch about five miles a day, play hockey on friday nights & basketball on monday nights so I am pretty active, but I drink way too much pop & I think that is why I could never lose any weight. I am 6 ft & weigh about 220, I would like to drop about 30 pnds or so. I told my wife yesterday that I am going to try to give up pop for 3 months & see what happens. She told me you should give up drinking to, you propably would really lose some weight for as active as you are. I told her lets not get crazy.

This first morning is rough. Had a ham sandwich & some pretzels for lunch & I am really craving a pepsi right now. It killed me to walk to the water cooler & fill my glass up. There is just no taste to it. I will let you know how it goes though, from the looks of it I maybe back on the wagon before the end of the day.

I am with you, I have given up pop starting today, at least try. I walk during my lunch about five miles a day, play hockey on friday nights & basketball on monday nights so I am pretty active, but I drink way too much pop & I think that is why I could never lose any weight. I am 6 ft & weigh about 220, I would like to drop about 30 pnds or so. I told my wife yesterday that I am going to try to give up pop for 3 months & see what happens. She told me you should give up drinking to, you propably would really lose some weight for as active as you are. I told her lets not get crazy.

This first morning is rough. Had a ham sandwich & some pretzels for lunch & I am really craving a pepsi right now. It killed me to walk to the water cooler & fill my glass up. There is just no taste to it. I will let you know how it goes though, from the looks of it I maybe back on the wagon before the end of the day.

You'll need to change your name to flaco.

or you could just start with Gatorade/weakish Lemonade and cut your sugar down by 50% right there. Or drink unsweetened ice tea.

Gatorade is about as bad as soda, calorie- and sugar-wise.

Nah. It's 50 calories per 8 oz for Gatorade and 110 for your ave. soda....

It's about a 50% reduction, so it is a decent middle ground to start breaking any habits.

Nah. It's 50 calories per 8 oz for Gatorade and 110 for your ave. soda....

It's about a 50% reduction, so it is a decent middle ground to start breaking any habits.

My son drinks alot of gatorade so I have thought about that. I am going to give the water a chance for 3 months & see what happens. Day 1 went pretty well. We will see how day 2 goes.

My son drinks alot of gatorade so I have thought about that. I am going to give the water a chance for 3 months & see what happens. Day 1 went pretty well. We will see how day 2 goes.

Gordio, the water thing will get easier real quick. In terms of Gatorade, regular Gatorade is pretty nasty stuff, but the G2 has about half the calories of regualr gatorade or Powerade Zero will have 0 calories. I was a big gatorade drinker, switched to G2 cause it was not as sweet or thick as regualer Gatorade. Last 9 weeks been on water only( when not beer or wine) and man..even G2 tates way to sweet now..I actually prefer the plain water..

Gordio, the water thing will get easier real quick. In terms of Gatorade, regular Gatorade is pretty nasty stuff, but the G2 has about half the calories of regualr gatorade or Powerade Zero will have 0 calories. I was a big gatorade drinker, switched to G2 cause it was not as sweet or thick as regualer Gatorade. Last 9 weeks been on water only( when not beer or wine) and man..even G2 tates way to sweet now..I actually prefer the plain water..

What the hell? What is wrong with plain water or at most a squeeze of lemon or lime?

Water

Water is the first ingredient on the G2 ingredient list, constituting the majority of the beverage. Water is the main component of a number of beverages.

Sugars and Sweeteners

Gatorade G2 contains the following sugars and sweeteners: high fructose corn syrup, sucrose syrup, sucralose and acesulfame potassium. Sucralose is more commonly known by the brand name Splenda. Acesulfame potassium is an artificial sweetener which also provides potassium.

Vitamins and Minerals

According to the ingredient list, Gatorade G2 contains the following vitamins and minerals: ascorbic acid or vitamin C, niacinamide or vitamin B3, calcium pantothenate or vitamin B5, pyridoxine hydrochloride or vitamin B6 and alpha tocopherol acetate or vitamin E. Monopotassium phosphate is a source of potassium, an emulsifier and helps buffer the pH of the beverage. Gatorade 2 contains two sources of salt: salt and sodium citrate. Sodium citrate also adds a tart, slightly salty flavor to the beverage.

Flavorings

Citric acid provides a tart flavor and functions as a preservative. G2 orange and strawberry kiwi flavors contain "natural flavor." G2 grape flavor contains "natural and artificial flavor."

Preservative and Emulsifier

Calcium disodium EDTA helps preserve color and flavor. Polysorbate 20 is an emulsifier.

Coloring

G2 orange and strawberry kiwi flavors contain yellow 5 and red 40. G2 grape flavor contains red 40 and blue 1.

Reading this thread got me thinking about my sugar intake, via drinks.

First of all, why drink water when there's perfectly good tea bags out there looking for a home? It makes no sense to me. And adding lemon to water? I can't see how adding something as sour as lemon juice somehow magically makes water taste good. So, no.

OK. So, I drink very little coke/soda. Usually when I go to restaurants I will, because I've worked in restaurants and have seen first hand how poorly minimum wage people can make tea. When possible, I try to get something like a snapple over coke.

OK, so I make my sweet iced tea with 3/4 cup of sugar per gallon of tea, which people have always told me is alot of sugar. What can I say, I like my tea like I like my women... sweet and cold (but I digeress for humor). According to google, a 12oz can of coke has 40.5 grams of sugar. So, doing the math, I determined that a 12oz glass of my tea has 14 grams of sugar. That's 65.4% less sugar than a can of coke.

So, I feel pretty good about myself.

Of course, that's not all the sugar I take in. There's the coffee and cake and all the other sweet stuff. But, for the purposes of this thread, I'm happy. And, for the record, if I ever have to drink plain water with a splash of lemon, I go thirsty.

To summise, I say, if you want to cut the amount of sugar in your drinks, make them yourself. Tea, Kool-aid, Crystal light, etc. are all decent drinks and allow you to adjust the amount of sugar. And even if you like to make them sweet, its still going to be alot less sugar than most things you buy.

Reading this thread got me thinking about my sugar intake, via drinks.

First of all, why drink water when there's perfectly good tea bags out there looking for a home? It makes no sense to me. And adding lemon to water? I can't see how adding something as sour as lemon juice somehow magically makes water taste good. So, no.

OK. So, I drink very little coke/soda. Usually when I go to restaurants I will, because I've worked in restaurants and have seen first hand how poorly minimum wage people can make tea. When possible, I try to get something like a snapple over coke.

OK, so I make my sweet iced tea with 3/4 cup of sugar per gallon of tea, which people have always told me is alot of sugar. What can I say, I like my tea like I like my women... sweet and cold (but I digeress for humor). According to google, a 12oz can of coke has 40.5 grams of sugar. So, doing the math, I determined that a 12oz glass of my tea has 14 grams of sugar. That's 65.4% less sugar than a can of coke.

So, I feel pretty good about myself.

Of course, that's not all the sugar I take in. There's the coffee and cake and all the other sweet stuff. But, for the purposes of this thread, I'm happy. And, for the record, if I ever have to drink plain water with a splash of lemon, I go thirsty.

To summise, I say, if you want to cut the amount of sugar in your drinks, make them yourself. Tea, Kool-aid, Crystal light, etc. are all decent drinks and allow you to adjust the amount of sugar. And even if you like to make them sweet, its still going to be alot less sugar than most things you buy.

I'm not a big fan of chemical intake (well other than those few years in college) so that's why I typically drink water with a meal if I can't have wine. Other than tea all the other things you mentioned are artificially flavored with who knows what.

I'm not a big fan of chemical intake (well other than those few years in college) so that's why I typically drink water with a meal if I can't have wine. Other than tea all the other things you mentioned are artificially flavored with who knows what.

I would completely agree with you on the artificial flavorings. Hence, my preference for tea. When traveling, I look for the snapple that has no artificial flavorings and no corn syrup, either. (A friend of mine has schooled me on the great corn conspiracy, so I notice corn syrup in m drinks as well.) Lipton has an "all natural" tea, as well (I think). Usually, if possible, I get several of those for the hotel along with beer.

But it's really hard, when you travel, to get drinks and food that are even remotely decent for you.

I just like to think that we have evolved as a species beyond the use of water as our primary means of liquid hydration with things like wine, beer, tea, vodka, coffee, orange juice, and milk out there.

I would completely agree with you on the artificial flavorings. Hence, my preference for tea. When traveling, I look for the snapple that has no artificial flavorings and no corn syrup, either. (A friend of mine has schooled me on the great corn conspiracy, so I notice corn syrup in m drinks as well.) Lipton has an "all natural" tea, as well (I think). Usually, if possible, I get several of those for the hotel along with beer.

But it's really hard, when you travel, to get drinks and food that are even remotely decent for you.

I just like to think that we have evolved as a species beyond the use of water as our primary means of liquid hydration with things like wine, beer, tea, vodka, coffee, orange juice, and milk out there.

I don't get this whole "it's hard to get good food and beverage while traveling" bit. There is good food everywhere, you just have to find it. Hell they sell bottle water in vending machines.

I don't get this whole "it's hard to get good food and beverage while traveling" bit. There is good food everywhere, you just have to find it. Hell they sell bottle water in vending machines.

They do, but again, I don't drink water.

The problem is finding the good food. First of all, unless you get an Extended Stay (or similar type hotel), it's difficult to cook in your room. Although, you can microwave some soup (or do I dare say... popcorn <_< ) pretty easily. I've found a hotel in Columbus that has an outdoor grill and patio for guests - that's pretty cool. But, I digress.

So, on the road, you're eating out for the most part. And the problem is, if you're in unfamiliar areas, it's difficult to find the good places to eat whether due to lack of time or lack of knowledge of the area. I agree, you don't have to eat fast food. I rarely do. However, when walking into a small, unknown restaurant, you have no idea if the food is good or bad. Sometimes it's great. Sometimes, not so much.

I often ask the front desk or whomever for good places to eat, but again, it's hit or miss. Bottom line is when traveling you have much less control over what you eat. Here at my house, I can steam some green beans, make some pasta and add a fresh basil and tomato sauce. Quick, easy and relatively healthy with no preservatives, no sugar, proper portions, etc. On the road... there's no guarantee at all you can find that and more often than not, you won't.

And the problem is compunded when eating on a limited travel budget. A nice restaurant will generally make much healthier meals. But, find me a $10-$15 dinner that's healthy and something other than salad and water. It's difficult.

I'm not saying travel always wrecks your diet. I travel as much as (or more than) anyone, yet stay slim. But, you have to really work at it and know quite a few tricks. Still, I almost always gain a few pounds on the road - unless I'm out for multiple weeks or a month or so. Then I just eat a alot less because it gets tiring and I really dislike the fast food.

They do, but again, I don't drink water.

And the problem is compunded when eating on a limited travel budget. A nice restaurant will generally make much healthier meals. But, find me a $10-$15 dinner that's healthy and something other than salad and water. It's difficult.

I'm not saying travel always wrecks your diet. I travel as much as (or more than) anyone, yet stay slim. But, you have to really work at it and know quite a few tricks. Still, I almost always gain a few pounds on the road - unless I'm out for multiple weeks or a month or so. Then I just eat a alot less because it gets tiring and I really dislike the fast food.

So if you are talking total bill at $15..yep hard to eat for that. But I ate at Cheescake the other night on the road, grilled Mahi, no suace, two steamed veggies ( a little butter on the veggies ain't bad for ya either) and the entree was $17 or $18 bucks. Can't beat that with a stick! Plenty o places with specials like that..

So if you are talking total bill at $15..yep hard to eat for that. But I ate at Cheescake the other night on the road, grilled Mahi, no suace, two steamed veggies ( a little butter on the veggies ain't bad for ya either) and the entree was $17 or $18 bucks. Can't beat that with a stick! Plenty o places with specials like that..

There you go. And if you're in a strange area and you don't know about the restaurants in the area there's this really cool idea I'm going to share with you, (not you Plenz...Dan). Now I want you to listen very closely because I don't share this with everyone, but here you go.........Ask somone! <_<

And if you're in a strange area and you don't know about the restaurants in the area there's this really cool idea I'm going to share with you, (not you Plenz...Dan). Now I want you to listen very closely because I don't share this with everyone, but here you go.........Ask somone! <_<

Ummm, Dan does -- he said this:

I often ask the front desk or whomever for good places to eat, but again, it's hit or miss.

Go to a grocery store. Almost every one has a pre-made meal/salad bar section.

Correct. You don't ask for a good place to eat because to most Americans they'll send you do the 11,000 calorie pile O' crap. You need to ask where in town I can get a good salad.

So your answer is to eat salad everyday for a month.....? <_<

That's true, so don't limit yourself to $15 just because that is the meal allowance. You don't eat for free at home, so factor that into your meals on the road and pay the difference out of your pocket.

So your answer is to eat salad everyday for a month.....? <_<

I know several people that eat salad for lunch every day. They are invariably thin and healthy.

I like salad. But I'd get sick of it pretty damned quick if I had to eat it every day.

Same with anything healthy, really.

Not me. I had the honor of working in some of the best restaurants in the country but I could eat the same thing every day and for a long time my favorite was a grilled breast of chicken on a bed of mixed greens with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Had that every day for months.

Yes, there are plenty of places like that. But, try to find a place like that in Hanford, CA or Ontario, OR. My point being, that some of us travel to nice places like Chicago and Columbus. But, equally so, or even more so, I'm in places that no one has heard of and have almost nothing outside of Denny's, fast food, and a mexican place (it's amazing how every town in this country has a cheap mexican place!). So, yeah, there are sometimes options, but not always.

There you go. And if you're in a strange area and you don't know about the restaurants in the area there's this really cool idea I'm going to share with you, (not you Plenz...Dan). Now I want you to listen very closely because I don't share this with everyone, but here you go.........Ask somone! <_<

As stated, I often do. And often you get some good recommendations. But, certainly not always. So, its a crap shoot really. And if you're in the middle of no where and you're tired and hungry, sometimes you just go with easy (i.e. the first place you see).

Go to a grocery store. Almost every one has a pre-made meal/salad bar section.

An excellent suggestion. This is actually one of the tricks, I was alluding to earlier. If I know I'm in town for a few days, I've started going grocery shopping. It's usually cheaper and you can almost always eat better. However, you do have to consider the hotel - not all have refrigerators, some don't even have a microwave (although those hotels are extremely rare now a days). I've gotten pretty good at hotel cooking. So, it helps. But again, if you're there for a night, maybe 2. It's often not practical to go grocery shopping, especially if you're going out at least one of those nights with "customers"/friends.

Also, most hotels have the free breakfast. I say stay away from the tasteless, processed egg product thing and just eat a bowl of cereal and some fruit.

Correct. You don't ask for a good place to eat because to most Americans they'll send you do the 11,000 calorie pile O' crap. You need to ask where in town I can get a good salad.

True. A lot of the time they send you to crap. So, it's iffy. Salad is ok. But, as other's have said, eating salad every day get's boring.

Plus, you really expect someone that travels 4-5 days a week to eat primarily salad with water and a lemon wedge? If that was my only option, just shoot me now. That's not eating - that's sad.

That's true, so don't limit yourself to $15 just because that is the meal allowance. You don't eat for free at home, so factor that into your meals on the road and pay the difference out of your pocket.

Excellent point, as well. I've often done that and suggested that to plenty of people I work with.

The key to all of this, IMO, is to eat proper portions. Almost any restaurant you go to gives you way too much food. So, quite honestly, I don't worry so much about what I eat as much as I worry about how much I eat. And how many people get the salad, just to load it down with bacon bits and a half a gallon of creamy ranch dressing (same with baked potatoes - I wonder sometimes if there's any potatoe even under there). Personally, I don't eat salad dressing at all - not because of a health issue, I just like the taste of tomoatoes. But, none the less, regardless of what you're eating, or drinking, I think proper portions are the key. A coke isn't so bad (IMO), it's the 32oz super size you have, only to have another drink an hour later. Who really needs that much of any liquid with a meal?

The second suggestion... don't eat according to the clock. Just because it's noon, why do you have to eat lunch? But, don't get me started on lunch. If you could talk to the people I work with they'd tell you how I feel about lunch.

Back to the topic at hand, though, a coke isn't so bad (IMO), it's the 32oz super size you have, only to have another drink an hour later. Who really needs that much of any liquid with a meal?