Mr. Wilson speaks

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills wait until after Jan 3rd to conduct interviews, there is no way they'll land a big time head coach.

You cant interview a coach that is on another team during the season, i believe. And you have to interview atleast one minority coach too. If the Bills want to interview Shanahan or any of the other big name guys(Holmgrin, Cowher, Gruden, and Schottenheimer) they can now. But i don't think you see a hire till mid January at the earliest. More like after the Super Bowl probably.

I knew this was too good to be true, these are of course our Buffalo Bills.

time to bring in another retread or maybe someone else's brilliant coordinator to mash up this team some more.

That was nothing more than Ralph's poorly worded attempt at saying 'No comment' regarding Shanahan.

Agreed...

If Schefter said there was contact with Shanahan...There was contact with Shanahan...There is a relationship there that goes WAY back...He's (Schefter) not going to lie or speculate where Shanahan is concerned...He does not have to... :doh:

True. Hopefully, "I don't know him" was extremely literal and did not imply "I've never heard of him". :lol:

One other follow up point to my earlier post above. The important point is not when the coach is hired or interviewed. The important point is who is hired and by extension the cascade of decisions that follow from that: the offensive coordinator, the defensive coordinator, the strength-and-conditioning coach, the position coaches, the front-office people and scouts, the player evaluations, putting the schemes and systems in place to allow the players to reach the apex of their potential and be their most successful.

From a marketing perspective, rolling the dice on the next Raheem Morris may not sell real well beyond the initial "Wahoo!"

True. Hopefully, "I don't know him" was extremely literal and did not imply "I've never heard of him". :lol:

One other follow up point to my earlier post above. The important point is not when the coach is hired or interviewed. The important point is who is hired and by extension the cascade of decisions that follow from that: the offensive coordinator, the defensive coordinator, the strength-and-conditioning coach, the position coaches, the front-office people and scouts, the player evaluations, putting the schemes and systems in place to allow the players to reach the apex of their potential and be their most successful.

From a marketing perspective, rolling the dice on the next Raheem Morris may not sell real well beyond the initial "Wahoo!"

I've been saying this for a long time around here and I understand most Bills Fans have great reason to be sceptical...But I'll say it again...Ralph knows he HAS to try to hit a Home Run at the HC Position this time around...He knows he HAS to go after the big guns...Now...Those big guns can all say no, and that's that...But He KNOWS beyond a shadow of a doubt bringing in an up and coming Coordinator, or retread HC without legit credentials, is not going to sell this time around...He also knows chances are the lesser guys are not going to work in Buffalo anymore...It's one thing to turn around a Miami, Atlanta, or Baltimore...Cities Players want to Play and live in...It's quite another thing to do the same in Buffalo...It's going to take a Name and a big Name at that...Ralph knows it...Believe Me he knows it now... :doh:

From the updated article:

Wilson discounted reports that the team is interested in interviewing Mike Shanahan, the former Denver Broncos coach.

"I don't know anything about him," he said, adding the team will be releasing a statement later in the day to address the speculation.

Well so ends that pipe dream. Hello Kevin Gilbride.

I wouldn't read too much into that statement regarding Shanahan. Ralph can say (or not say) whatever he wants to at this point. I don't think Ralph is going to come right out and give details before a deal is signed. And that signing may very well not happen until after the season is over.

come on people, why would Ralph EVER say anything he does not need to.......

It's sort of sad, though. Given a major softball lob his way, Mr. Wilson refuses to blast it right out of the park.

Instead of, "We're going to be bringing in a number of people. Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, etc. are all proven head coaches and we're going to conduct an extensive search and talk to these gentleman and others..."

The thready pulse of the poor apathetic Bills fan gets, "I don't know him." And, some announcement will be made later to squelch these rumors.

PS: Smithers says, "I know nuuuthing!!"

Is this a good idea? The odds say no. There has never been a coach who is also GM that has won a Super Bowl. Further there has never been a Super Bowl-winning coach who has won it again with a new team. But Bills Nation wants a marquee name. Everyone is convinced a big name will win us the big one. I think we will be very disappointed.

There is always a chance the next Buffalo coach could buck the odds but like you, I fear not.

None of the big coaches has proven successful when trying both.

See: Pig Faced Satan/Miami

Shannahan/Denver post SB (when he got the power)

Holmgren/Seattle

Are they a step up from what we've had? Yes.

Can one person do both jobs and achieve the ultimate aim? History says no.

I don't disagree. Parcells is pretty much the only guy who has done both successfully (though I'm pretty sure Cowher had lots of say post TD).

But the timing is the part that doesn't make sense to me.

We know that the scouting dept was decimated, so why not take steps as soon as possible to at least beef that up now? If you start on Jan 3, and the process takes 1 month, then you lose valuable evaluation time. Shoot, I know Dwight Adams would love to do some field work for the Bills to get the ball rolling.

If Ralph is going to hire a GM that has to be done first. Putting anyone else in place now just makes them lame ducks.

Thanks, Bill. My earlier post (for which a couple of people slammed me for) was wondering why start a post saying 'a story is coming'. Why not start a thread when the story is done and available for reading?

kegtapr - see above

RayFinkle - yes, I know who jw is

Beerball - do the kids really have to be told on Christmas Eve that 'tomorrow there will be a present for you' ?

Just spoke to Mr. Wilson.

Story coming

jw

Wow! "Hope springs eternal within the human breast." :doh: Even I, as bitter as I have been lately, feel a spark of hope. P.T. Barnum was right. There is a sucker born every minute. After so many times getting shafted by RW I'm setting myself up again.

Like T.O. last year, Ralph will go just far enough to fill the stadium seats. I know it, yet I want to not believe it. :lol:

Thanks, Bill. My earlier post (for which a couple of people slammed me for) was wondering why start a post saying 'a story is coming'. Why not start a thread when the story is done and available for reading?

kegtapr - see above

RayFinkle - yes, I know who jw is

Beerball - do the kids really have to be told on Christmas Eve that 'tomorrow there will be a present for you' ?

the guy was just giving us a head's up. Why are you giving him grief for it?

the guy was just giving us a head's up. Why are you giving him grief for it?

Yea I have realized I am making a mountain out of a mole hill. My point was to not give a teaser but to post the story when available. In any case, I am not going to pursue this any further as it is a worthless waste of time arguing over this triviality when there are more interesting points to debate.

No time like the present to bring in some consulting eyes to help get that evaluation started, Mr. Wilson.

I was wondering since Shanahan is unemployed, for the matter Cowher also, can we just go out and hire one of these guys as GM/ or Consultant, see how Perry shakes out, then promote themselfs to HC /GM after the Rooney interview ??

Yea I have realized I am making a mountain out of a mole hill. My point was to not give a teaser but to post the story when available. In any case, I am not going to pursue this any further as it is a worthless waste of time arguing over this triviality when there are more interesting points to debate.

with all due respect, i do not have the time to look for links in the midst of writing breaking news.

and i won't break news on this site because that's not part of my job description. i thought it important enough to provide a hint that something was coming so that others could start looking for it.

i realize there's a tease factor involved.

if you'd rather i not start a post indicating there is news coming, then i'll not do so in the future. my apologies in advance, then.

jw