Mr. Wilson speaks

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with all due respect, i do not have the time to look for links in the midst of writing breaking news.

and i won't break news on this site because that's not part of my job description. i thought it important enough to provide a hint that something was coming so that others could start looking for it.

i realize there's a tease factor involved.

if you'd rather i not start a post indicating there is news coming, then i'll not do so in the future. my apologies in advance, then.

jw

I appreciate these posts. Just stay the hell away from the last post thread!! :doh:

with all due respect, i do not have the time to look for links in the midst of writing breaking news.

and i won't break news on this site because that's not part of my job description. i thought it important enough to provide a hint that something was coming so that others could start looking for it.

if you'd rather i not start a post indicating there is news coming, then i'll not do so in the future. my apologies in advance, then.

jw

jw

Ignore him, someone pissed in his cornflakes this morning. The rest of us appreciate the heads up. Thanks.

jw

jw - i have been around a while...(but have not posted much recently) I was not familiar with who you are until today....and within a few brief posts can see that you have more credibility than most...so - yeah...you just go ahead and keep posting as you have and don't let the post of a single other person prevent you from providing the rest of us good information and and good teases as well...that is what keeps me coming back.

:doh:

jw

If I haven't said it lately, thanks for being here, John. Knowing what your last couple of days have been like, I have NO problem with you giving us a heads-up and someone else digging up the link.

And to address the "cheap" thing on any potential coaching hire -- since it fits in this thread, I'll repeat what I told you:

I'm not buying his "we paid TO" line. From all reports, he lowballed Butler at the same time the Bills had a chunk of their cap tied up in over-market contracts to average players. (Sam Rogers, anyone?) He grumbled about it (see: joking about having to sell a Monet to afford Andre Reed's contract), but he DID pay players...at least until it put them into cap jail, which brought us Donahoe. As Scott P notes, Knox was really the last time he went for a big-name HC.

thanks for support. not POed, though. i can appreciate how starting this thread and maybe one other last summer provides a tease factor. but just wanting to explain to the poster why i do it this way -- and i don't do it often.

jw

As my comments became such a big deal, let me apologize to you. Your apology was not required as there really wasn't any wrong doing. I have valued your posts in the past so should have taken that equity into consideration before writing that first post. I hope we can put this issue behind us and concentrate on discussing real topics.

I'm not buying his "we paid TO" line. From all reports, he lowballed Butler at the same time the Bills had a chunk of their cap tied up in over-market contracts to average players. (Sam Rogers, anyone?) He grumbled about it (see: joking about having to sell a Monet to afford Andre Reed's contract), but he DID pay players...at least until it put them into cap jail, which brought us Donahoe. As Scott P notes, Knox was really the last time he went for a big-name HC.

I'm not really buying it either, but I am cautiously optimistic that the man is 91 and really does want a SB trophy. He figures this may be the last coach he hires and wants to get it right. And Knox did work out for a few years.

I have to say I get that all warm and fuzzy feeling when I think of Mike Shanahan evaluating and using our top 10 pick on a QB.

I'm not really buying it either, but I am cautiously optimistic that the man is 91 and really does want a SB trophy. He figures this may be the last coach he hires and wants to get it right. And Knox did work out for a few years.

I have to say I get that all warm and fuzzy feeling when I think of Mike Shanahan evaluating and using our top 10 pick on a QB.

Knox was the only big name hire, IMO. And, he brought a new front office in with him.

Thanks, JW. We do appreciate your efforts!

If I haven't said it lately, thanks for being here, John. Knowing what your last couple of days have been like, I have NO problem with you giving us a heads-up and someone else digging up the link.

And to address the "cheap" thing on any potential coaching hire -- since it fits in this thread, I'll repeat what I told you:

Exactly. I just dont buy the bull **** till he actually does something. All this talk is pure crap with Wilsons track record.

Before you start reading sinister intentions, consider this: If Wilson wants Shanahan, he is going to have to act quickly. If he hires Shanny, he's not going to get a high-profile GM because any GM worth his salt wants to hire his own people. So if we get a Cowher, Shanny, or Holmgren, they will get full control of football ops, making a football GM moot.

Is this a good idea? The odds say no. There has never been a coach who is also GM that has won a Super Bowl. Further there has never been a Super Bowl-winning coach who has won it again with a new team. But Bills Nation wants a marquee name. Everyone is convinced a big name will win us the big one. I think we will be very disappointed.

PTR

Yep, so what we should do is hire an up and coming coordinator or a coach that wasn't successful somewhere else. This will increase the odds of us winning the "big one", and the fans won't be disappointed.

Knox was the only big name hire, IMO. And, he brought a new front office in with him.

Thanks, JW. We do appreciate your efforts!

Wouldn't it make more sense to bring in a GM and start from there? What gm is going to want to come in here and have a coach/coaching staff forced upon him - even if it is a big time coach. He is going to want to put "his people" in place. The approach/thought process on how to build a team and style of play might be polar opposite between any new gm and someone like Shanahan.

Before you start reading sinister intentions, consider this: If Wilson wants Shanahan, he is going to have to act quickly. If he hires Shanny, he's not going to get a high-profile GM because any GM worth his salt wants to hire his own people. So if we get a Cowher, Shanny, or Holmgren, they will get full control of football ops, making a football GM moot.

Is this a good idea? The odds say no. There has never been a coach who is also GM that has won a Super Bowl. Further there has never been a Super Bowl-winning coach who has won it again with a new team. But Bills Nation wants a marquee name. Everyone is convinced a big name will win us the big one. I think we will be very disappointed.

PTR

I agree with you that if we are going to get a GM as well as a new HC, then the GM should be hired first. But other than that, I disagree with your second paragraph. We have tried a variety of first time HCs with dismal success. We have tried a loser coach with equally spectacular results. We have to play it safe right now and that chance lies with a winning coach, preferably a SB-winning one.

Of the choices, I personally prefer Shanahan as he is an offensive minded coach and paired with a good DC, can do wonders for the team. Ofcourse, there is always an argument to be made that it was Elway who was the main reason for his SB victories. But, I think it is a combination of a good personnel and an excellent coach that wins championships. He will have a chance to choose his QB so we will see

there is a sense that everything is on the table, and that includes Perry Fewell. why tip your hand on potential candidates or what you might do now, when the whole landscape and conversation might change seven weeks from now?

not saying Fewell is a front-runner, but what happens if team shows progress under him?

jw

and Chicago, no offense taken.