Trestman/Gilbride/Haslett

Gilbride is not coming back to a previous scene of a crime. His TBD nickname at the time was "Killdrive". Need anymore info?

Haslett is virtually no better than DJ.

Gilbride looked juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a little bit better with better players the year before last. The Giants won the SB with him as OC.

Why do people have the love affair with Haslett?

I cannot see Wilson bringing him in after what he said about Kent Hull 4 yrs ago.

I mentioned Haslett's name before as a possibility simply as a cheap re-tred with Bufallo ties...I totally forgot about his comments about Hull...Thanks for the reminder and screw Haslett...I'm holding out hope for a big time coach

I mentioned Haslett's name before as a possibility simply as a cheap re-tred with Bufallo ties...I totally forgot about his comments about Hull...Thanks for the reminder and screw Haslett...I'm holding out hope for a big time coach

Agreed.... Haslett sucks. Never won anything on a HC level. Bring in Marty if you want a proven ex Bill.

Aren't they going to have to interview a black guy as per the NFL anti-discrimination rules or whatever? I'm guessing it would be the defensive coordinator for Minnesota, who I would certianly take over Gilbride or Haslett anyway. Or does that get voided if your current coach is black to begin with?

Trestman is even worse.

Curious to see where/how you drew that conclusion...Trestman has been successful EVERYWHERE he's been...

2002-Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach, Oakland Raiders

#1 offense in the NFL, #1 passing offense in NFL,

QB Rich Gannon Pro Bowl appearance, MVP of NFL

NFL Record for 300 yard passing games (10)

Jerry Rice Pro Bowl appearance

1998-Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach, Arizona Cardinals

1st Playoff win for Cardinals in 51 Years

Jake Plummer Pro Bowl appearance (alternate)

1995 &1996-Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach, San Francisco 49ers

Coached Steve Young (66.9% Comps & 66.7% Comps)

Coached Jerry Rice to 2 Pro Bowl appearances, an NFL record 15 TD catches and over 3,000 yards receiving in 2 years.

2 Playoff appearances (25 wins in 2 years)

1995 #1 pass offense in the NFL (#2 total offense)

1996 #2 pass offense in the NFL (#6 total offense)

1989 Offensive Coordinator, Cleveland Browns

AFC Championship

Not to mention he's 17-3 in Montreal and in the playoffs...(accept CFL doesn't count) :w00t:

Curious to see where/how you drew that conclusion...Trestman has been successful EVERYWHERE he's been...

I recall that he was on the hotlist of OC back in the Greggo days, and that he flamed out spectacularly with the '49ers that they canned him.

Not saying he is necessarily bad (though he looks suspiciously like Dick Jauron) but it may be useful for folks to know that he is 100% responsible for his team losing the Canadian championship last year. He has an old (veteran) QB -Anthony Calvillo. He had the bright idea of sitting Calvillo from practices for some weeks before the championship game, presumably to rest him. Many talking heads (former players) criticized the decision saying it would be much better for him to stay sharp. Sure enough his timing and general execution on gameday was way, way,way off -in effect causing the Montreal team to lose the game.

I guess youcan't liken that to what Dungy did to Manning, eh? :w00t:

No, I'm not Canadian

Wade Phillips wanted Trestman to be his OC when he was hired as Bills head coach in 1998. He offered Trestman the job and waited for him to decide on Buffalo or Arizona. When he chose Arizona, Wade then settled for Joe Pendry. Empire Sports covered the PC when Wade announced his decision and when Wade came away from the podium Mike DeGeorge pulled him aside and asked him if he were disappointed in not getting Trestman, Gomer got very pissed and kinda' cussed him out.

Nowadays, we are a considered an irrelevant franchise, but back then it was an outright slap in the face to have someone choose the Cardinals organization over yours. They had been to the playoffs like once in 40 years or something, it was outrageous. It was a sign of things to come.

I recall that he was on the hotlist of OC back in the Greggo days, and that he flamed out spectacularly with the '49ers that they canned him.

Yeah, my impression of his play calling was that he threw the ball too often and his offenses were too finesse. It's one thing to have a good season or two as an OC, but a great one can sustain it. It's no coincidence that Fairchild had some success as a first year OC, then Turk in his first 7 games, then AVP very early this season. When teams don't have a lot of tape on you and your team they can't gameplan as efficiently.

Well in most years our options are usually 2nd or even 3rd tier coordinators (Wade Phillips, Greg Williams, or Mike Mularky) OR second or even third string retreads (Dick Jauron or Jim Haslet). BUT the way I see it is that usually there is only one maybe 2 tops big name former coaches out there and then the better known coordinators go to the other top jobs.

This time around with there being not that many jobs out there (Washington and Buffalo, Maybe Dallas, Carolina, and Cleveland) and there being a lot of top names out there (Cower, Shanahan, Holmgren, and maybe Gruden) that means we can have our pick for the top coordinators (Russ Grimm, Ron Rivera, or any other top guy).

So I think this time around we can get a better guy because guys like Russ Grimm or Ron Rivera who would usually get a lot of interviews won't this time around won't have that many jobs available to them, so the Buffalo jobs is a little more appealing in this coaching cycle.

I would not pursue Kevin Gilbride. His offense has been average ever since Plaxico Burress was arrested for gun possession. Make no mistake, Plaxico was an awesome awesome talent, but one player should not immediately drop an offense from unstoppable to average. Plaxico has been out of the lineup a yar now and Gilbride has not been able to adjust to help the Giants be successful.

Outside of Drew Bledsoe, there are three main reason (IMO) why KG's offense went from awesome in 2002 to piss poor in 2003:

The trade of Peerless Price to Atlanta

The release of Larry Centers

Tom Donahoe wanting to change the offensive mentality of the Bills from the 2002 high flying/prolific nature to more of a Pittsburgh Steelers Big and powerful gring machine that was unsuccesful and failed miserably in 2003

Gilbride is not coming back to a previous scene of a crime. His TBD nickname at the time was "Killdrive". Need anymore info?

Haslett is virtually no better than DJ.

I would officially give up my title as a Bills fan if Kevin Gilbride came back.