Roomate trouble

I transfered schools this year due in part to roomate issues at my old school and now i find myself in a possibly worse situation. Because im a transfer i got put with a bunch of randoms. 4 people total, Myself and transfer from OCC, an exchange student from singapore and a 5th year senior.

For the first week or two everything was fine Myself and the kid from singapore got along pretty well and the guy from OCC is a big party guy but pretty true blue and a good guy and the 5th year senior he was never around so whatever.

The real trouble started when i started to realize i was being taken advantage of by having the only car in the apartment. My roommates asked me to take them everywhere, Target, wegamns, AT&T, Walmart... Beer Runs have way thru parties. No gas money ever, just really being taken advantage of. Normally i wouldnt care i have to go shopping too sometimes but we once spent 45 mins at target looking at a trash can (i wish i was kidding) That made me late for meeting up some friends to watch a Bills game (preseason) and when i have to change my entire plans and am late for something because of someone else not respecting the fact i have to go when i say i have to go, I'm gonna be a little upset

One Night we had an apartemnt meeting to discuss our grivences with each other (why, I dont know) and i brought this up. I said that i wasnt comfortable A) driving around a city that i dont know and putting my car in danger everytime i do that. B) Losing out on gas money C) My roomamtes asking to let them barrow my car when i cant drive for whatever reason. D) Changing MY schedule to accomadte their needs.

They said well we dont have meal plans so the only way we eat is if we can get to wegmans and can cook (Why its my responsibility to make sure that happens is beyond me I got a meal plan so i wouldnt have to worry about that....or not to mention every weekend there is a bus that goes to wegmans)

Because I didnt wanna fight about it anymore I said well if we set a day and time and i can make it a part of my schedule then im ok with it. The kid from singapore says he feels totally wronged here and !@#$ed over and if im going to be "bitter" about driving people around then he doesnt want to have anything to do with it....

Ok fine Whatever. I go to bed and he hasnt spoken to me since (besides this morning to accuse me of stealing orange juice) That was a month ago. I'm not going to tell him hey i was wrong let me drive you everywhere Because i get taken advantage of again. S ive just tried to be nice and say hi to him and such and he generally just ignores me.

Then the 5th year senior. this kid never put down money for beer or gas ever and would hand out my beer to his friends at parties. Not Keystone or someother cheap ****, Miller High Lifes, Heiniken ect. beer that i have just to enjoy and relax. Beer isnt cheap i'm not made of money i bought it for me not for his friends. So i said something to him about it and he denied denied denied. (Ive seen him do it I lost an entire 30 one night to him giving them away) So he gave someone money to buy him beer one night and i took the liberty of buying a 6 pack to just sort of make it even. Now ill admit prolly not the best idea so he finds out gets pissed at me threatens to kick my ass ect ect so i go out and buy him a 6 pack and say look dude im sorry here no hard feelings. He takes it then two days later (today) tells me thats not enough pay up or else.

Everytime i walk out into the living room/Kitchen aera i get dirty looks. I cant evn leave my room without feeling threatened and the only time i do leave is to go eat or go to class. How can i live like this? I cant leave my own room without feeling unsafe/unwanted/threatened ect I dont know anyone at this school becuase i just started here and frankly i dont even see any more options. I Dont want to live here but im stuck in a lease....how can i make this bearable or better? Thanks in advance

HR

Why do people keep quoting the original post? Its so annoying to have to scroll through it over and over. :thumbsup:

I don't get it. :unsure:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gossip and not enough rah rah siss boom ba. He aired this earlier.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1382693

Gossip, being bored & roomate problems so he transfers to another college & is even more miserable with his roomates?

Sorry, but HR sounds like a big baby. HR, next time transfer to a place where you can live at home & mommy & daddy can change your diaper. You're encountering your 1st look at the real world & you're having survival problems, deal with it. Do you know what happens in the office everyday-gossip & boring assignments. Also it sounds like you're the type of kid, that's right kid, who just doesn't know how to get along with people.

The situation you describe reminds me a lot of my 1st semester in Fredonia. I had 3 other guys in the room with me. One was a guy from Amsterdam NY who was graduating at the end of the semester-he was the normal one. The next guy was an exchange student from Denmark who partied all the time & never went to class. The 3rd guy was from Ghana, listened to WBLK until 3 or 4 in the morning & kept everyone awake with his radio. He was also PO'd about the USA being a "white man's world". I got through the semester because I didn't become a paranoid crybaby like HR, who deep down just wants to go home to mommy. The next semester, the 1st guy graduated, the 2nd guy flunked out & was sent back to Denmark & the 3rd guy moved out to a place of his own where he could happily listen to WBLK as much as he wanted to. I ended up with one roomate in a huge room & we're still friends today, 37 years later.

I know a guy who took a dump in someone's coffee pot, and let it brew all day. That's a pretty solid move for alot of situations. Another idea is an "upper decker". You drop another dump in the top tank of Singapore's toilet and let him enjoy the aroma of your gift every time he flushes. He wouldn't figure it out forever.

If these ideas don't seem like you, then I suggest you stand up for yourself. You need to be loud and aggressive. If this 6 year senior whips your ass, he whips your ass. An ass whipping is much better then accepting disrespectful behavior.

Dude get a :unsure: backbone, you actually transferred schools because of a roommate problem? Get a new roommate not a new school. Screw these !@#$s, what do you care what they think. You let them take advantage of you, that's why they did. Stand up for yourself. If that doesn't work you could call JP and ask him to clean up the mess. :thumbsup:

Man, if you're having a hard time with this problem, I'm not looking forward to the day when you're married with kids and your toilet overflows.

(Seriously, John. I'm just kidding.)

Here's a tip from an old dude who took too long to learn it himself: the greatest gift you can give yourself is to learn how to not give a rat's ass what other people think of you. This is a great opportunity to start learning this lesson. They make faces and bust your nuts because they know it bugs you. The minute they genuinely know that it does NOT bug you, you can go and do as you please, regardless of what they do.

Master this now and your life will get increasingly better so fast you won't have time to wipe your sweaty nuts on their plates (which is also a very good suggestion).

I agree. There's always two sides to the story.

Do you crap in the toilet and never flush?

Do you smell like a dead hooker?

Are you not neat in common areas?

Do you burst out in random song and dance?

Do you vomit in the house then forget about it?

These are all problems that I've had with roommates in the past and it was circumvented by being the alpha male and standing up for myself. It's one thing to help people when in need, like providing them rides, but don't let them take advantage of you. Overstand your ground.

Exactly how many hookers have you killed?

I transfered schools this year due in part to roomate issues at my old school and now i find myself in a possibly worse situation. Because im a transfer i got put with a bunch of randoms. 4 people total, Myself and transfer from OCC, an exchange student from singapore and a 5th year senior.

For the first week or two everything was fine Myself and the kid from singapore got along pretty well and the guy from OCC is a big party guy but pretty true blue and a good guy and the 5th year senior he was never around so whatever.

The real trouble started when i started to realize i was being taken advantage of by having the only car in the apartment. My roommates asked me to take them everywhere, Target, wegamns, AT&T, Walmart... Beer Runs have way thru parties. No gas money ever, just really being taken advantage of. Normally i wouldnt care i have to go shopping too sometimes but we once spent 45 mins at target looking at a trash can (i wish i was kidding) That made me late for meeting up some friends to watch a Bills game (preseason) and when i have to change my entire plans and am late for something because of someone else not respecting the fact i have to go when i say i have to go, I'm gonna be a little upset

One Night we had an apartemnt meeting to discuss our grivences with each other (why, I dont know) and i brought this up. I said that i wasnt comfortable A) driving around a city that i dont know and putting my car in danger everytime i do that. B) Losing out on gas money C) My roomamtes asking to let them barrow my car when i cant drive for whatever reason. D) Changing MY schedule to accomadte their needs.

They said well we dont have meal plans so the only way we eat is if we can get to wegmans and can cook (Why its my responsibility to make sure that happens is beyond me I got a meal plan so i wouldnt have to worry about that....or not to mention every weekend there is a bus that goes to wegmans)

Because I didnt wanna fight about it anymore I said well if we set a day and time and i can make it a part of my schedule then im ok with it. The kid from singapore says he feels totally wronged here and !@#$ed over and if im going to be "bitter" about driving people around then he doesnt want to have anything to do with it....

Ok fine Whatever. I go to bed and he hasnt spoken to me since (besides this morning to accuse me of stealing orange juice) That was a month ago. I'm not going to tell him hey i was wrong let me drive you everywhere Because i get taken advantage of again. S ive just tried to be nice and say hi to him and such and he generally just ignores me.

Then the 5th year senior. this kid never put down money for beer or gas ever and would hand out my beer to his friends at parties. Not Keystone or someother cheap ****, Miller High Lifes, Heiniken ect. beer that i have just to enjoy and relax. Beer isnt cheap i'm not made of money i bought it for me not for his friends. So i said something to him about it and he denied denied denied. (Ive seen him do it I lost an entire 30 one night to him giving them away) So he gave someone money to buy him beer one night and i took the liberty of buying a 6 pack to just sort of make it even. Now ill admit prolly not the best idea so he finds out gets pissed at me threatens to kick my ass ect ect so i go out and buy him a 6 pack and say look dude im sorry here no hard feelings. He takes it then two days later (today) tells me thats not enough pay up or else.

Everytime i walk out into the living room/Kitchen aera i get dirty looks. I cant evn leave my room without feeling threatened and the only time i do leave is to go eat or go to class. How can i live like this? I cant leave my own room without feeling unsafe/unwanted/threatened ect I dont know anyone at this school becuase i just started here and frankly i dont even see any more options. I Dont want to live here but im stuck in a lease....how can i make this bearable or better? Thanks in advance

HR

QUOTE (theesir @ Oct 14 2009, 02:40 PM)

Why do people keep quoting the original post? Its so annoying to have to scroll through it over and over.

I don't get it. :unsure:

me neither.

Pussification

Move out. Problem solved. I roomed with 5 guys in an old thin walled house while attending a Big Ten university. One was a Japanese exchange student who was never home. One was a bud. One was an alcoholic engineering student who worked in a cowboy themed bar and would bring home a new skanky Reba McEntire nightly for our listening pleasure. Then there was Chuck, who's room shared a common wall with mine. Chuck delivered pizza til 1am, then would bone high school ass while smoking weed and getting gangsta with Doggystyle till 4am. Pretty tough when you have 8am labs.

You couldn't help being immersed in everyone's business and it was impossible to find peace for study, relaxation between work and school, or entertaining tail.

The overall vibe was reduced by the fact the Slum Lord we rented from failed to tell us that there was no heat in the place so that the average winter temp inside topped out at 43 degrees (average January high in the city was 0).

I moved out. First, I called the city and found that all dwellings needed to have heating capable of raising the internal temperature to at least 68 in the winter. Failure to comply had major consequences for a landlord.

I told the Slum Lord that I was going to report her (didnt but the threat shut down any attempts to keep me on the hook for the lease), and told my roommates see-ya.

My bud and the Japanese guy followed me to a cheaper but nicer Brownstone apartment with heat. Japanese guy was never was around and still payed 1/3 of the rent. Morale increased. Better study conditions attained. Improved access to downtown venues and tail.

Moral: Action, not words.

Dude get a :unsure: backbone, you actually transferred schools because of a roommate problem? Get a new roommate not a new school. Screw these !@#$s, what do you care what they think. You let them take advantage of you, that's why they did. Stand up for yourself. If that doesn't work you could call JP and ask him to clean up the mess. :thumbsup:

I should clarify this roommate situation last year. I was schedulued to be a house with a few guys and i hated the school as it was the only reason i was staying was bc i had that group of friends. The day before the housing lottery they kicked me out and didnt tell me until that morning. After that i didnt see any reason to stay at a school i didnt like anyway especially at the cost of le moyne in todays economy...hence the switch

I should clarify this roommate situation last year. I was schedulued to be a house with a few guys and i hated the school as it was the only reason i was staying was bc i had that group of friends. The day before the housing lottery they kicked me out and didnt tell me until that morning. After that i didnt see any reason to stay at a school i didnt like anyway especially at the cost of le moyne in todays economy...hence the switch

lol, no one likes you

HR

You should have followed prison rules. On day 1 you confront the baddest mother!@#$er you can find. In this case probably the fifth year senior. You knock out his front grill and !@#$ his bloody mouth. Voila. All of this petty B.S. would have been avoided.

My question is how many dead ones he's smelled and why. Scratch that, I don't want to know.

And another thing.

If he knows what a dead hooker smells like it must mean he knows what a dead non-hooker smells like. How else would he differentiate. How many people has this dude killed?

As a former RA, and as a former roommate that despised roommates. There are three fun solutions:

1. Masturbate all the time... seriously who would want to talk to a guy while he is jerking it?

2. Find and date a bitchy girl... this could backfire, but she'll not take their ****. Thus you won't either while around her. She could run you over though.

3. Play pranks on them... !@#$ with them until they respect you. Piss them off and you'll either gain their respect or a new rooming situation.

Ok thats a possibility ill admit...how do i change?

Seriously if this is on me, I dont wanna be like this. What can i do?

Ill admit this is possible, Tell me tho how can i change this

I dont wanna be that guy

its not that easy dude. LIFE is not that easy. you arent going to get a "perfect reply" typed on a message board that changes who you are and how you act.

you gotta take it one day at a time and one interaction at a time.

the fact that youre here, seeking advice from a bunch of strangers, and not dealing with the reality of your life that is right outside your bedroom door is your first mistake.

theres a starting point for you. but just like everyone else in this entire world, you gotta figure life out for yourself.

I'd be interested in hearing the other side(s) of the story.

Really? You'd want to ready any more of this modern era whining?

I Dont want to live here but im stuck in a lease....how can i make this bearable or better?

Dude, you need to grow a set and stand up for yourself. Who gives a crap if these idoits don't talk to you anymore? What's the problem?

I also don't understand how you signed a lease with 3 guys you never met before. Aren't you in the college housing? You can leave whenever you want -- just go find someone where else to live that has cheap rent (hint: find somewhere with only one roommate). Is someone really going to sue you?

its not that easy dude. LIFE is not that easy. you arent going to get a "perfect reply" typed on a message board that changes who you are and how you act.

the fact that youre here, seeking advice from a bunch of strangers, and not dealing with the reality of your life that is right outside your bedroom door is your first mistake.

theres a starting point for you. but just like everyone else in this entire world, you gotta figure life out for yourself.

Does anyone ever figure life out?

Really? You'd want to ready any more of this modern era whining?

the only difference between this situation, and life-lessons that everyone has gone through for the past 50 years when going away to college, is that nowadays kids have the internet where they can post their stupid ****. and its stupid **** to us because we've been through it already.

but kids in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc ALL went through stuff like this when they first went away to college.

this has less to do with the "pussification of America" and more to do with growing up.

LA i believe had it right. You need stand up for yourself and not be so concerned what these folk are thinking. Clearly they are going to give you a attitude if you seem susceptible. Simply make it clear you are just as they are and would like some help with the gas money to get groceries. That could be bartered somewhat, its in order they chip in with a case of beer or decent meal out on them. Be a decent honest person, tell the person giving out your beer it can't happen anymore or he will pay for it, you can't afford it. Given the situation, perhaps get speaking with other students, got to believe with some patience you should be able to find another person to take over your part of lease. Don't get all huffy, just stand your ground, if you don't get any results, relax, make some friends , enjoy your time, find another to take over your lease, plenty of young people are coming in and out of your environment. :censored:

the only difference between this situation, and life-lessons that everyone has gone through for the past 50 years when going away to college, is that nowadays kids have the internet where they can post their stupid ****. and its stupid **** to us because we've been through it already.

but kids in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc ALL went through stuff like this when they first went away to college.

this has less to do with the "pussification of America" and more to do with growing up.

yes... we all dealt with it in some way, like me alternating between heavy drinking and "dating" girls :censored:

The kid is just looking for some advice.

Oddly enough, if I have a question which I don't feel like researching, I'll post it here. That is the beauty of the internet. Some folks here actually are fairly knowledgable and have been through similar situations. Most of my questions have to do with home improvement projects, but I guess somebody might know what to do if your roommate drinks your beer.

1. hide your beer

2. if you are driving to wegmans, invite your roomies to go with.

3. if they take longer to shop than you, warn them and then leave them there if they do not comply. guarantee after you do it once, they will learn.

4. NEVER take **** from an asian foreign exchange student

well just to give everyone an update i just went out in the commo n room and tried to make peace with the 5th year senior reguarding the 6 pack and he basically rejected my apology. Told me i was a coward for buying it with his card and that it was bull **** that i tried to just simply give it back to him and he said he straight cannot forget about it.

I just tried to do the right thing and it blew up.....wtf

well just to give everyone an update i just went out in the commo n room and tried to make peace with the 5th year senior reguarding the 6 pack and he basically rejected my apology. Told me i was a coward for buying it with his card and that it was bull **** that i tried to just simply give it back to him and he said he straight cannot forget about it.

Duel.

Nail in the coffin. Your roommate is a girl.

I'll echo LA because he gave you the best advice given how you seem to have a pathological need to "fix" this.

You don't need everyone to like you.

I'm not being a dick because I have trouble with it too...I'm sure most people as well to a greater or lesser degree. Unless you really just don't give a fck about anyone (see the poster above me...I kid I kid Jim), it's natural to want people to get along with you.

But this situation is broken. I don't know you and your personality, nor your roommates and theirs. But it's not working. It's easy for people to come on here and tell you to "man up" or something along those lines because they don't have to wake up in your apartment for the next 6 months.

If I were you, I'd go back down there when all of them are there and tell them that you don't know how things got to where they are, but either we need to work it out RIGHT NOW, or we go our separate ways. If you don't get a positive and/or at least willing response, start researching your next move. Might have to pay some $$$ for breaking your lease, you might have to find some shtty temporary place. But pack your sht and move on. Life (and especially COLLEGE for chrissakes) is too short to waste being miserable.

Best of luck.

it didnt blow up. he's being an idiot. he's going to let a 6 PACK OF EFFING BEER ruin the living situation? fine, youre better off without him.

i dont know what you said exactly or how you said it, but dude sounds like a dick.

you took advantage of having his card, like they took advantage of you having a car. if he cant "forget about it" then seriously, eff him.

it didnt blow up. he's being an idiot. he's going to let a 6 PACK OF EFFING BEER ruin the living situation? fine, youre better off without him.

i dont know what you said exactly or how you said it, but dude sounds like a dick.

you took advantage of having his card, like they took advantage of you having a car. if he cant "forget about it" then seriously, eff him.

My exact words were hey Eddie i dont want there to be a huge rift here and he went off calling me a coward for using his card and saying it was bull the way i gave him back the 6 pack. I sat there looked him dead in the eye and listened to what he said. I told him look i agree with you i was stupid and selfish and what i did was wrong and truely i apologize. All he said was I'm sorry if you expected something else and stared at his computer....

neither of my other two roommates said a word they were both in the room. I sat there for a second and said. truely Eddie im sorry id take it back if i could I'm sorry really i am. He didnt say anything and nobody else did....i just got up and went in my room....what else could i do?

My exact words were hey Eddie i dont want there to be a huge rift here and he went off calling me a coward for using his card and saying it was bull the way i gave him back the 6 pack. I sat there looked him dead in the eye and listened to what he said. I told him look i agree with you i was stupid and selfish and what i did was wrong and truely i apologize. All he said was I'm sorry if you expected something else and stared at his computer....

neither of my other two roommates said a word they were both in the room. I sat there for a second and said. truely Eddie im sorry id take it back if i could I'm sorry really i am. He didnt say anything and nobody else did....i just got up and went in my room....what else could i do?

eh, fug it. if he wasnt willing to accept your apology the first and second time, no need to keep at it. honestly (and yes this is stupid) but it just makes you look weak or like you were the only one who was wrong. there was a reason that you felt you should do that (even though it was indeed wrong and cowardly). giving away stuff that isnt his (like he did with your beers) is exactly the same thing. hes just being childish because youre the one being big enough to apologize. he's a baby. theres a reason he's a 5th year senior and has no friends to live with. the only other thing you could have done is, when you got up to leave said "ok, if you want to be a puzzy about it, have it your way"

seriously, eff this dude

eh, fug it. if he wasnt willing to accept your apology the first and second time, no need to keep at it. honestly (and yes this is stupid) but it just makes you look weak or like you were the only one who was wrong. there was a reason that you felt you should do that (even though it was indeed wrong and cowardly). giving away stuff that isnt his (like he did with your beers) is exactly the same thing. hes just being childish because youre the one being big enough to apologize. he's a baby. theres a reason he's a 5th year senior and has no friends to live with. the only other thing you could have done is, when you got up to leave said "ok, if you want to be a puzzy about it, have it your way"

seriously, eff this dude

The worst part is agree with you but tomorrow i have to wake up and see this dipshit

OK. Seriously, HR... screw the dude. What do you care if he likes/respects you? First thing, though, don't apologize for buying a 6er when he gave away a 30 pack. When he first complained about it, you should have told him to" :censored: off, you took my beer I took yours. You got a problem with it leave my :wallbash: alone." Nothing more really needs to be said in that situation.

Screw all the apology, can't we all just be friends stuff. He doesn't like you, you don't like him. That's just the way it is. I say go about your business in the house and screw him. No need to talk to him, no need to even acknowledge he's there. Yeah its a little uncomfortable, but there's not much way around that now.

As for the other guys, I say same thing. If you're going somewhere and they want to tag along... sure why not. But screw all this drivin Miss Daisy crap. Gas costs money. If they want rides they need to give up gas money, its as simple as that. Unless you're just bored and want to get out.

The situation sounds pretty uncomfortable all the way around. But, from your description, you've done nothing wrong. So, screw the apology stuff. Just go about your business, spend time at the library or somewhere like that studying. And basically don't worry about them. They'll either come around or they won't. But, that's out of your control so no sense worrying about it.

Some people you meet are just :wallbash: wipes. As others have said, it's just the way it is. Why waste your time with them.

Oh yeah, and next time they want to have a "house meeting" or whatever to talk about their feelings and crap, tell them you didn't join a sorority. Why don't they just throw Legally Blonde in the DVD and all have a good cry or something? I mean, really, guys don't have meetings to talk about what's bothering them. They rag the crap out of each other over beer.

Been in a very similar situation. Have to say there is no good way out of it. The maturity level of the people you are dealing isn't very high. They are self centered and only see their own point of view.

Its probably too late to save those relationships, but in future may want to be less accommodating in early stages with roommates. Not saying to be a jerk, but don't try and go out of your way for them, unless they will expect that every time. Have to make them suffer some in beginning to get them to appreciate it when you do go out of the way. Think of it like coaching. When start out as a hard-ass can always get softer, but if start out nice and soft, cant try and be harder on them, unless will loose the team.

Best thing to try and not let it show that it bothers you when being ignored, and not cave to demands for awhile. By saying hi every time to the guy that wont talk, its showing him that its getting to you, and spurring him on to continue. If try and stay to your own, and don't go out of way to communicate with him, he will stop putting effort into it, and will come around eventually.

For the guy making the demands, once you got him the 6 pack, it showed him he can push you. That is probably going to get worse before it gets better. Would try and avoid dealing with him as much as possible, since he is a 5th year senior, should be a roomie past the end of year.

By staying away from confrontation for awhile and taking away all the driving around from them for awhile, you can probably recover some of the relationships, by slowing going back to driving them occasionally when they start treating you with more respect. But till they are civil would try and go out of way not to help them, and if they questioned why, would tell them that not going to help someone who is disrespecting me.

Is a way to go, and is a way the worked for me for the most part. Had the one guy, similar to the one threatening you for beer money that never did, but rest of people came around, and one ended up being my best man.

You made a mistake and were man enough to apologize to him about it. If he isn't man enough to accept it then that's his choice.

Don't let the fact that nobody spoke get in the away, take it as a moral victory. They didnt talk because they did not know what to say.

And what makes it even worse is i even stood up for myslef and told the one roomate whos not a dick to me all the time i wouldnt drive him to get beer bc i was sick of doing it sat there and watched me get destoyed by this fuching trashball and do nothing....there is not enough beer right now

Got destroyed? Why did you let yourself get destroyed?.... you should have told that turd to quit being a drama queen and sorry he got his panties all in a bunch over a six pack. You guys all sound like a bunch of girls....where the hell do you guys live? Somebody needs to come up there in slap some manhood in ya.