Former Tampa GM Bruce Allen linked to Bills

cale

I'm sure there are better candidates out there - but hey I'm at least glad someone who knows football is linked to the organization. Guess that means Chucky jumps to the front of the line:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/1020184...-every-NFL-game

"Buffalo: His players sang happy birthday to Dick Jauron on Wednesday, but that figures to be the last such celebration in Buffalo. The no-huddle offense hasn't been working, and Jauron was one of three head coaches who dumped his offensive coordinator during the preseason. Former Tampa Bay GM Bruce Allen's name has popped up with the Bills, but he may have other offers at the end of the season."

• 2 weeks later...
Allen + Gruden + *Tebow* = Success.

Tebow is NOT an NFL QB. He doesn't have adequate arm strength, he isn't consistently accurate, and I don't think I've ever seen the guy throw a tight spiral at any point over the past 4 years. He's a gimmick QB in a gimmick QB producing system, just ask the 49ers.

Many teams thought that Brees would be a good nfl qb. The bengals considered taking him early round 1. The Chargers traded out of 1 hoping to get him in round 2. Heck, even the bills were hoping to trade up to get him in round 2 if he slipped a little further. I don't know if Tebow will be an nfl qb, but it is not fair to say Brees was not highly regarded.

either is drew brees..and elvis dumervil is not an nfl DE(too small) or OLB(too slow)...damn shame both players r probowlers cuz they arent good enough to play in the NFL... :rolleyes:

either is drew brees..and elvis dumervil is not an nfl DE(too small) or OLB(too slow)...damn shame both players r probowlers cuz they arent good enough to play in the NFL... :rolleyes:

Thank you. At least someone has some sanity. I'm so tired of the "experts" analyzing these draft prospects and making ridiculous claims about a player's worth.

Tim Tebow is everything we need as a quarterback and MORE. He's TOUGH as nails, he's a LEADER, he has supreme CONFIDENCE, he IMPROVES himself every year, he has a BIG ARM, and he is a PROVEN WINNER.

If you don't think this guy should be a Buffalo Bill next year, I think you're crazy.

Thank you. At least someone has some sanity. I'm so tired of the "experts" analyzing these draft prospects and making ridiculous claims about a player's worth.

Tim Tebow is everything we need as a quarterback and MORE. He's TOUGH as nails, he's a LEADER, he has supreme CONFIDENCE, he IMPROVES himself every year, he has a BIG ARM, and he is a PROVEN WINNER.

If you don't think this guy should be a Buffalo Bill next year, I think you're crazy.

PLEASE SEE: VINCE YOUNG, MICHAEL VICK, CADE MCNOWN....AND DARE I SAY DOUG FLUTIE (UNTIL HE GOT SOME MORE EXPERIENCE IN THE CFL)

Does this mean we'd have to keep the 4-3 Tampa 2 defense? No thanks, hire someone who will bring a 3-4 please.

I'd prefer to stick with a 4-3, but just stock it with players who are both big and fast (i.e., good), instead of trying to find the smallest possible guys to play every position.

Linked to...? That doesn't mean anything. Bruce Allen is linked to Kevin Bacon, too.

Bruce Allen linked to Jon Gruden

via Tampa Bay Bucs

Jon Gruden linked to Dennis Miller

via Monday Night Football

Dennis Miller Linked to Kevin Bacon

via Saturday Night Live.

So there you have it, Bruce Allen will be the Bills next GM.

PLEASE SEE: VINCE YOUNG, MICHAEL VICK, CADE MCNOWN....AND DARE I SAY DOUG FLUTIE (UNTIL HE GOT SOME MORE EXPERIENCE IN THE CFL)

Vince had one good year in college, and iced his draft status by beating USC. And I would still take him on this team today. I'd take Vick's talent too, just not his character. And I don't know who ever said any of those things about Cade McNown. Flutie was great to watch on this team. I'd take him back at age 30 any day.

Tebow has proven year after year that he's a winner. He's going to be a great QB in this league.

Allen + Gruden + Tebow = Success.

LMAO

Allen + Gruden didnt equal success in TB and Gruden doesnt like young QB's...

Allen + Gruden ran TB into the ground...only once did they have back to back winning seasons, both of which were 9-7 and only once in those 2 seasons they made the playoffs.

Their draft history there has been poor...

LMAO

Allen + Gruden ran TB into the ground...only once did they have back to back winning seasons, both of which were 9-7 and only once in those 2 seasons they made the playoffs.

Gruden took them to the playoffs in three separate seasons, and actually WON a Superbowl with them. I'm pretty sure he was a successful coach there.

To give some possible credence to this rumor, Marv Levy got his second NFL job when he was hired by George Allen (who is Bruce Allen's dad) to run the Los Angeles Rams special teams. When Allen left to take the Washington Redskins job, he took Levy with him. Levy remained with Allen for two years (three years total) before leaving to become head coach of the Montreal Alouettes.

Levy has often said that George Allen was his biggest influence as a coach.

Marv is probably one of the very few people that Ralph Wilson still listens to and leans on for advice. It's very possible that Marv has some sort of friendly relationship with Bruce Allen.

So if you connect the dots at least, there's some credence to this rumor.

LMAO

Allen + Gruden didn't equal success in TB and Gruden doesn't like young QB's...

In fairness Dawg, the Bucs gave the Raiders 4 draft picks and $800,000 for the rights to sign Jon Gruden.

Those picks were two first round and two second round picks (2003 and 2004 drafts).

Many observers of recent football history feel that the loss of those picks severely hampered the overall roster building of the Buccaneers after their Super Bowl season of 2002 until Gruden was fired after the 2008 season.

I'm not a big fan of Gruden but if we were to hire Allen and he wooed Gruden to become the Bills coach, well it'd be a helluva lot better situation than the one we're in right now.

Gruden took them to the playoffs in three separate seasons, and actually WON a Superbowl with them. I'm pretty sure he was a successful coach there.

"Ran them into the ground" with a 9-7 record last year.

If Dick Jauron could coach any team to 9-7, he'd win Coach of the Year. :rolleyes:

Talk about having it backwards, the Raiders were bad before Gruden and aren't even an NFL caliber franchise now. The Buccaneers went right over the cliff this year, after cleaning out Allen and Gruden.

Obviously, Gruden isn't perfect but he's proven he can win in the NFL, which is a lot better than the garbage we have now.

Does this mean we'd have to keep the 4-3 Tampa 2 defense? No thanks, hire someone who will bring a 3-4 please.

Not a student of the game?

Gruden inherited the Tampa 2 when he took over for the fired Tony Dungy. Dungy and his defensive coordinator, Monte Kiffin had great success with this defense. In 10 of his 13 seasons as Tampa Bay DC, Kiffin's defense was top ten in points allowed and yards allowed. This has never been achieved by any other defensive coordinator.

So, Gruden and Allen wouldn't necessarily run a Tampa 2 defense, Gruden was wise enough to keep a great defense when he arrived in Tampa.

In fact when Gruden and Allen were together in Oakland, they ran a 4-3 defense.

Finally, I don't think the problem with our Tampa 2 is the system itself. I believe it is the talent on the roster and the talent of the coaching staff which is limiting our defensive success.

Ralph, I'm telling you right now as a season ticket holder......you get Allen, then he gets Gruden, you can raise my ticket prices $15 per game, per ticket. It would be worth it, and then we could be at NFL average.

I know everyone around my seats would agree. But of course it won't happen. Bring on the current Browns offensive coordinator to be the next head coach, and we'll be right back to where we are now, just four years from now.

Linked to...? That doesn't mean anything. Bruce Allen is linked to Kevin Bacon, too.

via Tampa Bay Bucs

via Saturday Night Live.

So if Bruce Allen is linked to the Bills and Kevin Bacon, could this mean that Kevin Bacon might be the next Bills GM?

LMAO

Gruden & Allen were hampered in Tampa when it comes to the draft. Rich McKay traded TWO 1st rnd picks for Keyshawn Johnson & the Bucs were at the limit capwise due to contracts McKay gave to the players on the Bucs so they could not sign free agents when Gruden & Allen arrived. Then the Glazers gave Davis TWO 1st rnd picks & I think a 2nd rnd pick for Gruden. In his time in Tampa I think Allen has drafted pretty well considering what he had to work with.

Edit: yeah it was two 2nd rnd picks.

via Tampa Bay Bucs

via Saturday Night Live.

Allen & Gruden have been GOOD friends since both were VERY young. Gruden used to go over to the Allen's house for dinner. George Allen's house that is, Bruce was still living under his parents roof. I have heard Gruden tell some great stories about going down into the basement with George & Bruce & studying game film with George teaching them the game.

Sounds too good to be true.

It's sad we're celebrating someone, anyone with actual personnel experience. Certainly Bruce Allen would be an improvement, but TB's drafts weren't spectacular. For the Bills to succeed they need someone who hits on first rounders every year. And, they should get talent from the 2nd through 4th rounds.

Still, it's very possible that RW hires a HC to appease the fans and doesn't rework the front office. This team needs someone to oversee pro and amateur scouting who knows and is experienced in personnel. I'd like to see other candidates, but Allen wouldn't be totally bad.