Tim Graham on TO

Mr. WEO

Interesting that Owens didn't seem to have a problem with the media when they were chronicling his every move during camp, when he invited JW along on his house-hunting expedition, etc. ...

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Plenty of room for, umm, discussion on this one. By all means, feel free to disagree with the piece. All I'll ask is that you not create work for the moderators by descending to the "your a #### idiot" level -- for that, you can head over to Tim's blog -- and I appreciate the fact that the previous comments in this thread have not done so.

But that's not the point, or at least not how the article came off. The tone of the article is that the press is now mad that TO doesn't want to play the game anymore and invite them along for the carnival ride.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that Owens didn't seem to have a problem with the media when they were chronicling his every move during camp, when he invited JW along on his house-hunting expedition, etc. ...

But then again, it was the media leading the charge as opposed to TO begging them to cover him. The prerogative to respond to the media is purely his. He is under no obligation to the fans or the media to respond in a a way that suits their fancy. And that is my point. I rather have the media complaining about the lack of 'material' from him than the alternative where is he feeding the insatiable (media) beast.

Also, I much rather have TO catch the rare accurate deep ball from TE, than conform to the media's expectations. But I digress ....

Plenty of room for, umm, discussion on this one. By all means, feel free to disagree with the piece. All I'll ask is that you not create work for the moderators by descending to the "your a #### idiot" level -- for that, you can head over to Tim's blog -- and I appreciate the fact that the previous comments in this thread have not done so.

Lori, don't justify the media goading people. That's not journalism. T.O. may court the attention but that does not give reporters license to coerce an outburst. Freedom of the press includes freedom from the press. No one owes you an interview. You do not represent the fans. You are paid to report the news, not create it.

PTR

what i find amusing is that Lee Evans, week after week, says far more brutaly honest comments, that could be considered inflamatory than T.O. does. Lee has been speaking frankly for years, way before T.O. arrived. Yet i never see Lee Evans comments picked up by the national media. I'm not complaining about Lee, i actually look forward to his comments because i feel he is the only Bill who freely speaks his mind, i'm just making a comparison..... T.O. could roll his eyes or sit with his arms folded on the bench and it gets the media spotlight.

Although misguided, T.O. is actually trying to behave here in buffalo, sort of the less said the better approach, but that never works either. Many in the media are absolutely trying to trip him up, no matter what he says, someone will twist it into a negative. You would think that at this stage of his career, T.O. would be much more media savvy. Having said all that, i still blame T.O. 100 % for the circus around him, the words are coming out of his mouth and i assume he is in total control of who his agent and PR people are. Get some better advisors.

As far as his play on the field, anyone who commands constant double-teaming is a superstar. Yes he has dropped a couple passes, so has just about every other WR in the league. I fault COACHING, where are the simple timing 5 yard down and outs, the ball is in your face the moment you turn around plays to our WR's. This forces the DB's to play up closer, giving them a better chance to double move and beat them long. When a team (especially with the talent we have) only attempts 2 of 34 passes longer than 16 yards, that is a coaching staff NOT playing to win.

Why do we need to hear from a guy who didn't catch a ball? It's a non-event.

Are we demanding to hear from Roscoe Parrish as well?

I'm on TO's side as well. If I'm Ralph, I'm demanding to know why I'm paying $6.5 mil to a guy they don't use. Reminds me of John Rauch using OJ as a decoy.

Many times T.O. brings the media firestorm on himself with his comments or actions, but sunday was most definitely not one of those situations. But hey, i guess you guys got what you wanted. Either he blew up, and you'd have a hell of a story, or he ignores you guys and now you trash him.

Exactly.

I'm not an Owens cheerleader by any stretch of the imagination, but what is the guy supposed to say after the game? Everyone KNOWS he's got to be frustrated about being held without a catch, being underutilized, playing with a quarterback/system that take few shots downfield and losing games (hell, I'm frustrated as anything and I'm just a fan). They expect him to blow up and he doesn't, so now the story is "T.O. doesn't blow up but you can tell he's frustrated" - duh!

I don't think T.O. owes us what he thinks - if he wants refrain from blasting anyone in public perhaps that's what he should do. In doing that if he shows frustration without saying "I'm frustrated" this should be his right as well. I don't understand why this is such a big media story - there is no story here guys......

The comments are the best part of this article. It looks like a new twist to an old game, where fans are taking 'sports journalism' to task..

More like a skewering. Those comments are universally brutal. As is reflected in the responses in this thread also. Good thing we are going about it in a civil way.

Sorry, but this is a bullcrap article, proven by this line:

"All those Billeivers who spent $80 on Owens jerseys deserve to hear from him, especially when he and supposed 1-2 punchmate Lee Evans have combined for 13 catches, 186 yards and two touchdowns. "

I'm sorry, but Lee Evans makes more than TO, as do some other players. The fans don't "deserve" to hear from any players or coaches. For the $80 they pluck down on the red white & blue laundry, game tickets, parking etc, the fans deserve a team that is committed to winning. If Tim Graham feels compelled to write an article on what Bills' fans deserve, the reporters should demand to have Ralph Wilson on that podium after every single game and ask him the same questions they asked Owens in the same tone.

Sorry, Tim, you're digging for a story where there isn't one. TO isn't the reason for the fans ire and your story confirms TO's views of the media, especially when Jerry Sullivan is your standard bearer. If he's going to take Owens to task, he should recognize that he's the Ronnie Jones of sports columnists.

Right ON Brother!

what i find amusing is that Lee Evans, week after week, says far more brutaly honest comments, that could be considered inflamatory than T.O. does. Lee has been speaking frankly for years, way before T.O. arrived. Yet i never see Lee Evans comments picked up by the national media. I'm not complaining about Lee, i actually look forward to his comments because i feel he is the only Bill who freely speaks his mind, i'm just making a comparison..... T.O. could roll his eyes or sit with his arms folded on the bench and it gets the media spotlight.

Although misguided, T.O. is actually trying to behave here in buffalo, sort of the less said the better approach, but that never works either. Many in the media are absolutely trying to trip him up, no matter what he says, someone will twist it into a negative. You would think that at this stage of his career, T.O. would be much more media savvy. Having said all that, i still blame T.O. 100 % for the circus around him, the words are coming out of his mouth and i assume he is in total control of who his agent and PR people are. Get some better advisors.

As far as his play on the field, anyone who commands constant double-teaming is a superstar. Yes he has dropped a couple passes, so has just about every other WR in the league. I fault COACHING, where are the simple timing 5 yard down and outs, the ball is in your face the moment you turn around plays to our WR's. This forces the DB's to play up closer, giving them a better chance to double move and beat them long. When a team (especially with the talent we have) only attempts 2 of 34 passes longer than 16 yards, that is a coaching staff NOT playing to win.

I totally agree with this entire post, I couldn't have said better myself, but I'm only commenting on the first part.

If the media wants a story, the player to go to is Evans. He doesn't hold back and never did, go back and read his comments after every embarrassing loss. He says exactly what he feels. If Evans' words came out of TO's mouth he would be crucified, but Lee is generally ignored.

Guest dog14787
Interesting comments by someone who actually has spoken to TO and covered him.

Poor, poor TO. No one understands him in the media (well, almost no one....).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...s-own-martyrdom

I actually sensed allot of tension between T.O. and TE out on the football field on Sunday against the Saints. I get the impression T.O. has developed an attitude with Trent Edwards which in my opinion is disruptive to the whole offense. T.O. reminds me of a little kid who isn't getting his way. I had hoped things would go smooth with T.O. here in Buffalo, but three games in and we are starting to see the same T.O. that has disrupted the last two teams he's been on. :thumbdown:

I don't expect T.O. to be happy, but I do expect him to be patient. We have a new O-line and a new OC and thanks to T.O.'s big toe, TE and T.O. have very little chemistry going. This is a young football team and I expect T.O. to be part of the solution when things go bad, not part of the problem.

I will say something in T.O.'s defense, of course he wants the ball and of course he should be real pissed off ,I know I am, all of us are and its real easy for us to sit back and second guess T.O.'s reactions. I would not talk to the media after that loss if I was a team member on the offense or I might get carted off to jail.

I respect your opinions very much and almost always agree with them. However, I have to disagree here. To continue with your analogy, TO did buy the ticket, he took the ride (this summer), now he wants off; but they won't let him.

Just because you pander to the press on some occasions doesn't mean you're fair game for all intrusions for the rest of your life. It's similar to the real estate agent taking press into his house. Yes, TO invites cameras into his home all the time; but that's at his chosing. The cameras don't get to then come into his home whenever they want.

As someone else said, the press' job is to report the newsn ot create it. If TO or any athlete doesn't want to speak, they shouldn't have to.

As someone else said, the press' job is to report the news not create it. If TO or any athlete doesn't want to speak, they shouldn't have to.

exactly. the press has the right to print/say whatever they want, they do not have the right to make a person talk. and i think

its pretty low when the press turns on a person for not talking. that IS the press creating news instead of reporting the news.

I think TO's point has been that recently the media is trying to bait him, so as to create a controversy "worth" covering. I agree with him - to a point (I also think there's a bit of irrational paranoia in that sentiment), and I think Tim's article is an example of this. I ALSO think that TO has to take a large share of the responsibility for this dynamic between him and the media on his own shoulders - he's created his own shtick, after all, and lived off the controversy his whole career - and think Tim's article is an example of THIS as well.

I also suspect, based on Tim's article and others, that TO does better with a one-on-one sit-down with writers than he does with groups in press conferences. Inviting jw along house-hunting is very different from facing a flock of vulturous reporters post-game who are all looking for the next "Owens is a a destructive primma donna" story.

All in all, Tim...I think your article was unfair, but not entirely without merit. TO has certainly made his own bed with regards to how he's been covered through his career...but that does not excuse the confrontational attitude the media occasionally takes with him (which I recall from his Philly and Dallas days as well) in attempting to get a "more dramatic" TO story.

Why do we need to hear from a guy who didn't catch a ball? It's a non-event.

Are we demanding to hear from Roscoe Parrish as well?

I'm on TO's side as well. If I'm Ralph, I'm demanding to know why I'm paying $6.5 mil to a guy they don't use. Reminds me of John Rauch using OJ as a decoy.

Ralph paid $6.5M for a marquee player who draws national attention. He's getting precisely what he paid for.

If he wanted to improve the team, he should have paid $6.5M for a real coach.

Guest dog14787
Ralph paid $6.5M for a marquee player who draws national attention. He's getting precisely what he paid for.

If he wanted to improve the team, he should have paid $6.5M for a real coach.

Amen to that, we need Jon Gruden.

I do not have any problem at all with Owens not talking to the media. As a matter of fact I prefer it. Don't pretend to defend my "right as a paying fan" to hear Owens speak.

Tony Dungy lost what little bit of credibility he had when he defended Michael Vick. Maybe if Owens tortured and killed a puppy on the podium Dungy would be more supportive.

I actually sensed allot of tension between T.O. and TE out on the football field on Sunday against the Saints. I get the impression T.O. has developed an attitude with Trent Edwards which in my opinion is disruptive to the whole offense. T.O. reminds me of a little kid who isn't getting his way. I had hoped things would go smooth with T.O. here in Buffalo, but three games in and we are starting to see the same T.O. that has disrupted the last two teams he's been on. :thumbdown:

Where and how, specifically, did you sense this tension ? I did not see anything remotely resembling tension between the two. TO, to this point, has done or said nothing that implies he is a disruptive force. Apart from his lack of production and the inability of the offense to utilize him, things are going perfectly well. He has not raised a stink or been an idiot. You are seeing things which do not exist.